NFL 2018

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: NFL 2018

Post by Wilk5280 »

Makes it easier on the eyes learning that defenses contributed to the score.
GT = Wilk5280

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Aristo wrote:The defenses scored three TDs, and set up a fourth TD for KC when they recovered a Goff fumble in the Red Zone. The Chiefs had 5 sacks and 8 tackles for loss. The Rams had 3 sacks and 4 tackles for a loss. The defenses actually contributed to the inflated score.
Out of 105 points they accounted for 21, I'll even give you 28 points whoo f***in hoo, there still 76 other points out there. Akim Hicks had 5 TFL's by himself on Monday night LOL. KC is last in the league in total defense the Rams are 29th.

If you think either of these teams has a good defense I want some of what you're smoking. Luckily for the Chiefs they don't need to play anyone with a decent defense the rest of the way except maybe Baltimore? and their remaining schedule is so soft they will lock up home field which gives them the edge on the Pats but if I was a betting man, and I am. I'm not taking an Andy Reid coached team to make it to the Super Bowl ever.

Right now my money is on a Saints vs Patriots game.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Where did I say the defenses were good? I said there was some great defensive plays and that the game was not all offense.

So you think a 39-37 score would be getting all the attention that the game is getting now? Do you not think that the defensive scores added to the perception of that no defense was being played? Did Mahomes 3 INTs and 2 fumbles not come from great defensive play?

And the point of defenses is to prevent points, not yards. In that respect, the Rams and Chiefs came into the game around 20th in points allowed per game. And when offenses are scoring quick and generating more possessions per game, scores will go up, even if the defense is playing the same. The Chiefs defensive strategy has always been to bend, don't break. Yards aren't points.

And, again, I've never called the Chiefs defense even mediocre. It's bad. But they have figured out how to maximize from what they have. Could be worse. They could have traded a carton of picks and wasted cap space on superteazm defense like the Rams, only to get the same results. The Chiefs mostly ignored the defense in the offseason to shore up the offense in order to give Mahomes a year to get more experience. So they drafted 100% defensive players, and had three of them starting last night. And they are getting better.

They also got screwed on Goff's TD run when the RT not only jumped, but used that advantage to seal off Dee Ford from making the play on Goff. He also held Ford, which was also not called.

Going forward, the Chiefs should have Eric Berry after the bye. Watkins should be ready to go, and the team will be better than what they were last night. This game only gave me more confidence that they will get to the Super Bowl. And if they face there Saints, I think the Chiefs lose.

Not bad for a rebuilding year in which they spent almost all their resources getting the offense set for Mahomes, so he could get a year under his belt before the team is ready to actually be playoff ready. They drafted nothing but defensive players this year, and three of them were starting last night. And next year they will have cap space to address the defense, as well as another defense heavy draft, I suspect.

Somehow, this game is so much worse than the 34-10 drubbing the Pats got from the Titans. That's where your money is? Are you even trying to be logical?
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Dude I watched the game, in fact I've watched a lot of both teams games and many others this season there defenses suck. In general defense sucks around the league because players aren't allowed to play defense. Sure D accounted for some of the points, when you sling the ball around like you're playing in the cul-de-sac there are going to be turn overs and sacks. It's like watching 2 Madden players that have pumped up their MUT teams coach a game.

So to anwser your question sure the score added to the perception for people who didn't watch the game. I watched it, if the score was 39-37 I would still say that no D was played because that's not good defense, well at least it didn't use to be. I'm not sure what stats you're looking at but right now I see KC 28th allowing 26.7 points a game an the Rams at 23rd with 25.6 points per game allowed. One game is not jumping KC 8 positions.

Maybe because you watch KC you think that is good defense idk, it's not but your entitled to your opinion. right now it is not costing them at all. We will see what happens in the playoffs.
Follow Me on:

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I didn’t watch the game last night but I would much rather watch a 17-14 game with tense moments and field position coming at a premium but thats not where we are right now. Hell, I’ll watch some old film of WAAC games in the 90’s if I want to see little defense and astronomical offense. The NFL is definitely changing I just don’t know if I am on board.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Danimal wrote:
Maybe because you watch KC you think that is good defense idk, it's not but your entitled to your opinion. right now it is not costing them at all. We will see what happens in the playoffs.
You are either stupid as f*** or a dick. Nowhere did I say that KC's defense was good. I'm not even saying last night was an example of great defense. I'm saying narrow-minded dimwits like you are making stupid ass conclusions because it is the hip thing to say that defense matters more than offense.

It is what it is. I saw a guy on Twitter say that football was better when you have to work for it. You know, like those days when the defenses didn't have to work so f***in hard to stop any offense. Oh, wait, that's exactly the same, because it has just changed who is getting challenged more.

And because I've been a Chiefs fan, I know what a great defense is. I had season tickets throughout the Schottenheimer era. Loved those defenses and run heavy offenses. But fuckwits like you would go on about how much more important offense is and how behind the times Marty was. That why the Biulls and their K-Gun offense went the Super Bowl every year. It's all superficial bullshit that is used to to try and make yourself feel like a smarter fan than everyone else, yet you come off a a clueless dolt.

The goal is to figure out how to score more points than your opponents. Every year rules change. Sometimes for good reasons, sometimes for stupid as f*** reasons. Regardless, you have to adapt. If the Chiefs want to be Super Bowl champs, they will need a better defense. They won't need a great defense.

All I did was tell someone that the score being in the 50's had more to do with defense than with the offense, not that the defenses were great. But you decided to use it to act like some sort of grizzled NFL morality police, ready be a whiny b*tch because offense is up. Guess what, we all know that offense is up, and why. That's not an enlightened point of view. It just is.

But regardless of how well offenses play, making stops, getting turnovers, and sacking the QB are still important. It's just harder to do today. And the more desperate you can make an offense, the more likely they will make mistakes. So offenses like the Rams and Chiefs often get some benefit just from the threat of scoring more.

The Chiefs were 20th in the league in opponent scoring coming into the game. The Rams are a f***in fantastic offense and put up 40 points on the Chiefs. It was their defense getting them 14 more than won them the game.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Diablo25 wrote:The NFL is definitely changing I just don’t know if I am on board.
Agree. I'm more interested in European soccer and the NBA than the NFL at this point of the year than ever. Goodell seems to think it's a good idea to eliminate defense from pro football, and offenses seem to be evolving more quickly than defenses. It's a perfect storm for more scoring.

Last night's game was VERY entertaining, but I'm not sure I want to see that every week like old WAC games. Part of the appeal of last night was the matchup. The other part of the appeal was the scoring because it was SO frequent and odd to see. But when this kind of offense becomes the norm, it loses its effect to entertain and wow.

I feel the same way about pro basketball. I don't want to see the "maul ball" of the mid- and late-1990s return, in which teams could win by scoring 90 points. I also don't want to see NBA All-Star Game scores during the regular season. Right now, I think the NBA has an ideal mix of offense and defense.

Same with boxing. I love to see a slobber-knocker in which two guys with limited skills unload leather on each other. I also can enjoy a defensive, tactical fight. But the best bouts are those that combine offense and defense.

The NFL is becoming too slanted toward offense, in my opinion. It's not a crisis, but pro football is loosening its grip on me because of the excessive total offense and scoring created by rules that emasculate defenses.

Now get off my lawn.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I hope we can all remember this high octane score between these two teams as a special MNF matchup. I thought it would be in the mid to late 30’s in terms of points but never this high. I wouldn’t enjoy all the games being in the 50s either but one particular player that stood up in my recollection and was a beast, is A. Donald. Despite being double teamed, he created enough havoc to Mahomes and the OL.

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

Cut out the personal attacks. Next one = ban.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Aristo wrote:Good game, 34. Would love a rematch. I think you guys have a tougher road to the Super Bowl because Brees, though. And the Chiefs are far from a lock, but have already beaten the #2 and #3 seeds in the AFC.

The Rams and Chiefs seem to be as evenly matched as you can get, but, the Saints are a notch above. The playoffs should be fun.
I didnt like the game at all.

McVay is a genius for making Goff look like an NFL qb but he was bailed out by Aaron Donald and Wade phillips. Funny thing to say in a 54 51 game but its truth. He for the second week in a row chose magic over reality and was bailed out . That wont f***in work forever and will be the reason the Rams never make the SB.

He failed to understand the path to victory was Gurley. At the end of the game he didnt let the man( THE BEST MAN ASIDE DONALD ON THE TEAM) finish the game, instead he went to gimickery and baby boy wishes. ..Hes a lucky man. A very lucky man.

Thinking about it...really THINK ABOUT IT.....Neither of these teams will make it to the SB unless they change they their approach to play calling. its about winning the game not looking like an offensive genius.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Well that 28 second drive that let the Chiefs have a second chance the tie the game was a dumb as hell, for sure. Sad thing is, I knew it would happen. That's McVay's M.O., but the chiefs did nothing with the chance. So there's that.

Not saying it should have worked as well as it did, but the Chiefs started a rookie LB specifically to cover and shadow Gurley.

Snap counts: Chiefs use linebacker Dorian O’Daniel as answer to the Todd Gurley problem
What Sutton didn’t reveal was that a big part of his answer to the Gurley “problem” would be using rookie linebacker Dorian O’Daniel at inside linebacker. O’Daniel, a hybrid linebacker/defensive back out of Clemson, started his first career game and registered four tackles on Monday night.

O’Daniel matched a career-high with 43 defensive snaps (he played 43 against Arizona as well). He played alongside Anthony Hitchens (58 snaps) in base defense and alongside Daniel Sorensen (24 snaps) as dime linebackers.
I do think the Rams benefitted from the Chiefs taking the first 8 minutes of the game off, and then some uncharacteristic turnovers. Donald gets credit for being that difference maker. The last two INTs were just Mahomes being too Favre-like. He will have to dial down his confidence at times. We'll see if that is a pattern for his career, or if he learns.

But Scandrick dropping the INT with 2:19 left and a four point lead was the killer. And unlike McVay, Reid would have put the game in Kareem Hunt's hand had they gotten the ball back. The Rams had zero time outs, and we would have seen Hunt. People talk about the low scoring of the Chiefs last game, but that was after 20 points in the first half. Then he went to Hunt and vanilla offense, and coasted to an easy win instead of trying to get Mahomes his ninth straight 300 yard game. Mahomes had 185 at the half, finished with just 255.

I think the Chiefs are fine. I wish their defense was better, but it has been causing turnovers and making stops for several weeks now. Even forcing a FG is huge. It's not dominating, but it is enough to win games. It's going to get them HFA, and that should get them into the SB.

Anything can happen, and if they lose the usual suspects will talk about Reid, ignoring the fact that this was supposed to be a rebuilding year. If the Chiefs don't make the SB, it will be because their defense was just too terrible. But a porous defense was what we all knew the team had going into the season. We just thought it was going to take Mahomes a year to figure out how to play. We thought we had a year to figure out the defense, especially after a strong defense focused draft.

But just like the NE loss, I feel better about the Chiefs chances now than before. The Rams were a test. It could have gone ugly with the way its started. But unless Mahomes has suddenly turned into a turnover machine, he will win games like that 90% of the time. They now get a bye, and then a warm-up game against Oakland. Of their five remaining games, @Seattle is the biggest challenge. Two against Oakland, and home games against the Ravens and Chargers should be wins. I would be more worried about SD, but Arrowhead on a Thursday night is a tough nut to crack. They could easily roll in 14-2. I think 13-3 will be enough, and maybe 12-4, to get HFA.

I think the Rams are fine. Chicago will be interesting, but I suspect they thump the Bears. But the Saints are best team in the NFL right now. I don't think KC could get by them, especially on the road. That's just a tough draw.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Danimal wrote: Akim Hicks had 5 TFL's by himself on Monday night LOL. KC is last in the league in total defense the Rams are 29th.

Rams D is total crap but since you brought up tackles for a loss..Guess which player leads the league. You are correct its Aaron Donald.

He also leads the league in sacks wich is saying a lot since that stat is always lead by an edge rusher.

What an amazing player. Only Mack of the Bears is on his level.

Back to the Rams and the SB. I dont see it. No f***in way unless wonder boy remembers how to close a game with his best player and the secondary learns to f***in cover somebody.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Bears just won 3 divisional games in 12 days. The 3rd with their back up QB on 80 hours rest and no reps. The defense looked gassed but still made enough plays to win, Eddie Jackson is a baller. Fun stat there were 16 receivers taken in front of Eddie Jackson in the draft, he has more TD's then 8 of them.

NFL can put up whatever obstacles they want, this team will give you everything they have. It's nice to watch real football being played in Chicago after such a long absence. Said it before this season is all gravy, it's year 1 of Nagy, I'll enjoy this for however long it lasts but future is bright.
Follow Me on:

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Rams play at Bears in two weeks...If I was a betting man, I take the Bears to win and easily.

SERIOUSLY

A team that plays D and commits to the run( I think the Bears will for the Rams) will eat this years Arrogant version of Mcvay alive. He so reminds me of Martz in 2001. Forgets his best player in favor of his genius.

I need to him to stop watching his ESPN ass worshippers and pretend he needs to be a head coach instead of an offensive mad scientist to win.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Danimal wrote:Bears just won 3 divisional games in 12 days. The 3rd with their back up QB on 80 hours rest and no reps. The defense looked gassed but still made enough plays to win, Eddie Jackson is a baller. Fun stat there were 16 receivers taken in front of Eddie Jackson in the draft, he has more TD's then 8 of them.

NFL can put up whatever obstacles they want, this team will give you everything they have. It's nice to watch real football being played in Chicago after such a long absence. Said it before this season is all gravy, it's year 1 of Nagy, I'll enjoy this for however long it lasts but future is bright.
I don't care if it was against the Lions -- that was a very impressive road win today for the Bears. Backup QB, second game in 85 hours.

There's still a significant gap between the Bears and the Saints and Rams. But defense has a funny way of prevailing during the playoffs, maybe even in this era of inflated offense. The Bears could be very tough in the NFC playoffs.

Nagy gets my vote as NFL Coach of the Year, hands down. Has less talent at skill positions than either McVay or Payton and has done a remarkable job as a rookie head coach.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

What a boring Sunday of football.

1. The Jags are horrible and the coach has lost the team. If he is not fired this week I'll be shocked.

2. Hue Jackson can make any team a loser.

3. Someone put Dan Fouts out to pasture, he is terrible behind the mic.

4. Thank God for the Raiders they have been a constant money maker for me since week 3.

5. I want someone to look at me the way Bradshaw looks at Rivers.

6. My afternoon game is the Colts vs Dolphins, thanks NFL.
Follow Me on:

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Well I thought the Seahawks comeback from behind was exciting. 8) The way Carolina was running the ball in the last quarter, I thought it was going to be another tough close encounter where SEA would be on the other side of the W. Much like the GB game last Thursday, the D came thru in the last stages of the game setting up yet bother Wilson comeback from behind.

With four of the last five games set to be played at home, I like their chances much better now and watch out once they make it there. I don’t think any team would want to face them as they start to get some bodies back.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Danimal wrote:What a boring Sunday of football.
Thank God for that!...I needed the break!

10s is right about his Hawks. That was the most interesting game and great win for uncle pete.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

and props the Denver.

Broncos with back to back wins vs Chargers and Steelers.

Thats pretty bad ass.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Danimal wrote:6. My afternoon game is the Colts vs Dolphins, thanks NFL.
It was a good game...complained too soon. ;)

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

Hell its actually fun to watch my Brownies again. Baker Mayfield is looking real good, and the other draft picks Denzel Ward and Nick Chubb are playing well.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

It will be interesting when more details come out on this Hunt story. Did KC know about it and cover it up? Did the NFL?

No way he escapes a suspension this looks bad on the NFL and they don't like that.
Follow Me on:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Danimal wrote:It will be interesting when more details come out on this Hunt story. Did KC know about it and cover it up? Did the NFL?

No way he escapes a suspension this looks bad on the NFL and they don't like that.
This is Ray Rice, part II. I would be shocked if the NFL didn't know about this video and didn't try to bury it.

The NFL isn't stupid. It knows ESPN, CBS, FOX Sports or NBC Pro Football Talk wouldn't break this story because all four entities are NFL broadcast rights' holders and will bend to any pressure applied the NFL league office. Don't believe me? What's the last major negative story regarding player conduct that any of those outlets have broken? Remember when ESPN killed the fictitious football show, "Playmakers," when the NFL complained about the too-realistic depiction of drug use, womanizing, etc.?

Thank God for TMZ. People can laugh at it all they want, but TMZ Sports breaks more stories about criminal behavior by pro athletes than any other American media outlet, mainly because all of the other outlets have chummy relationships or business partnerships with major pro sports leagues.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

pk500 wrote:
Danimal wrote:It will be interesting when more details come out on this Hunt story. Did KC know about it and cover it up? Did the NFL?

This is Ray Rice, part II. I would be shocked if the NFL didn't know about this video and didn't try to bury it.

The NFL isn't stupid. It knows ESPN, CBS, FOX Sports or NBC Pro Football Talk wouldn't break this story because all four entities are NFL broadcast rights' holders and will bend to any pressure applied the NFL league office. Don't believe me? What's the last major negative story regarding player conduct that any of those outlets have broken? Remember when ESPN killed the fictitious football show, "Playmakers," when the NFL complained about the too-realistic depiction of drug use, womanizing, etc.?

Thank God for TMZ. People can laugh at it all they want, but TMZ Sports breaks more stories about criminal behavior by pro athletes than any other American media outlet, mainly because all of the other outlets have chummy relationships or business partnerships with major pro sports leagues.
Placed on Commissioners exempt list. Can’t practice or play until investigation is complete.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Just reported the Chiefs are releasing him. Wow.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25