The Division 2

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The Division 2

Post by TCrouch »

Yeah, the fact that it's launching so closely to Anthem is a death sentence for that game.

It scratches every itch a looter shooter should have, and the skills and weapons are varied so you can change up your style based on a good weapon you find (much like Diablo). It has everything that Anthem completely missed the boat on, even though they're not direct comparisons (no Iron Man suits here).

It's easier to play with friends, fun to change up play style mid-mission, and exploration is awesome. Now you get "settlements" that you upgrade by doing missions for and/or donating items to, which in turn unlock more missions and personnel you could use back at the home base. There are layers of base management there, and they have little scavenging crews that actually go out and scavenge:

PC Gamer Story on Division 2 NPCs

It's definitely got a great feel, and I like the "nature has started taking over" vibe it's got, instead of it being immediately after the apocalyptic event. These people have been fighting for 6 months, so there's no more pathetic NPCs asking for a soda to save their life. In general, the whole thing is fleshed out better.

And, as in the first one by the end of its life cycle, the gunplay is top notch. Every weapon has a different feel. And PISTOLS...holy crap, the pistol can actually kill things. I find myself hot-swapping to a pistol in crazy times (rather than reloading) more in D2 than any other game, because you can actually kill somebody with it.

All in all, my most anticipated game of the first half of 2019, and nothing in the Alpha or either Beta has changed my mind.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Google Chrome People

Other people:

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

TCrouch wrote:Google Chrome People

Other people:
Can't wait!

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I'm taking Tuesday off so I can play
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Danimal wrote:I'm taking Tuesday off so I can play
Good to be you.

Im so tempted to get this f***in game.

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

Got this preloaded and ready to play tomorrow!

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Fired it up and created my character. I really think it looks better than the betas graphically. I didn’t really go into it too much because it was late. Can’t wait to get after it after work on Tuesday.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

Diablo25 wrote:Fired it up and created my character. I really think it looks better than the betas graphically. I didn’t really go into it too much because it was late. Can’t wait to get after it after work on Tuesday.
Did the same thing before work this morning, got all the way to the settlement after creating my character. The game looks amazing and plays so good! Looking forward to putting a few hours into this tonight.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

So what are your guys' thoughts on this as someone who mostly plays single player now. Worth it or not? I know that it'd be better with a group/party, but just curious if it's even worth the time as someone who would be playing solo.
GT = Wilk5280

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Absolutely, I played the majority of the Alpha/Betas solo. They did some amazing stuff with the "bullet sponge" enemies for Division 2. You still have these "yellow" armored guys, but if you focus fire on a single body part, you can break the armor. And at that point, you're hitting their body like any other enemy (and they can be dropped in a single clip, as long as you hit the exposed body part). This means you aren't stuck in long, drawn-out firefight with a boss while all the other guys pepper you with shots.

Personally, I think it's amazing solo.

Something I think that they NAIL is the gunplay and sounds. I had an AK-47 that I found in the tutorial level last night, and I don't know who recorded their weapon sounds, but they need a raise. Every one of them has that "punchy" feel to them, and I'm not usually one to notice gun sounds or feel in a game. Even pistols feel like they have some heft to them when you pop off a few rounds.

Anyway...I think it's great solo. The hardest bits are those control points, but you can hold a button to bring in a squad of fodder...I mean civilians...to help distract all of the bad guys while you systematically take them out.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Wilk5280 wrote:So what are your guys' thoughts on this as someone who mostly plays single player now. Worth it or not? I know that it'd be better with a group/party, but just curious if it's even worth the time as someone who would be playing solo.
Worth it. But the difficulty ramped up considerably in The Division later in the game. Teal and I are pretty damn skilled at this game -- humble brag! -- and there were some missions in which it was damn near impossible for us to finish as a duo. So trying to complete those as a solo would require almost Rambo-like skills.

But yes, The Division 2 is worth it for every kind of gamer. Both betas were more polished and complete than many games released at retail.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

pk500 wrote:Teal and I are pretty damn skilled at this game -- humble brag!
Wow Pk you must of gotten a lot better since last time we played together :D

"Where is PK?"

He ran into the area or he is off looting corpses. LOL
Follow Me on:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Danimal wrote:
pk500 wrote:Teal and I are pretty damn skilled at this game -- humble brag!
Wow Pk you must of gotten a lot better since last time we played together :D

"Where is PK?"

He ran into the area or he is off looting corpses. LOL
"Level 30 is a hell of a drug." -- Rick James
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

Wilk5280 wrote:So what are your guys' thoughts on this as someone who mostly plays single player now. Worth it or not? I know that it'd be better with a group/party, but just curious if it's even worth the time as someone who would be playing solo.
For sure worth it. I don't have a chance to play at great lengths of time with anyone, but its still a blast solo. But never hesitate to invite me if you want to play co-op, or anyone else for that matter.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Follow Me on:

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Game is damn good. Fun stuff. A few menu glitches need to be fixed with a small patch but otherwise a fantastic game so far.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Too busy at work to gush on this game today but Terry and I played for a few hours last night and this game is simply terrific and a lot harder then D1 which is a good thing.

Can't wait to get home and play some more.
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

BTW tune in later tonight as Terry and I play on Twitch and only talk in character.

He is so excited to do this, I had to calm him down a bit. My guys is going to be a russian so working on my accent all day. :D
Follow Me on:

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Oh FFS... Lmao

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

The game is incredible. Played for 4 hours tonight. Superb gunplay. It’s a better version of D1. I played a new 4 vs 4 mode called Conflict which is control point oriented and it’s super fun. You carry your loadout in to the match but all loadouts are “normalized” so it’s an even playing field. This game is DEEP and I’ve only just scratched the surface. For those who have to wait until Friday to play...get ready for the addiction. LOVE IT.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Psst...You...American

Come watch how Dimitri and his American friend who has nose of dog who can smell things real good take down a fuel depot held by very bad men. Rockjaw is my fine American friend, he can find, how you say "pig in s***" no no no, not it. He can find things like "Vodka bottle in Solyanka" hahaha.

Dimitri and Rockjaw will remove these bad men from your nations capital, then maybe go to Mosco no?

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/395406335

For those lazy Americans who can't follow a link

Follow Me on:

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Probably going to be a novel of a post, so if it's useful to anybody, cool. If not, I apologize for the length, but it's mostly just throwing random thoughts out there.

This game is absolutely phenomenal. Perhaps it's because it released so closely to Anthem, but it just seems to magnify every issue I had with that game.

Time to kill is almost perfect, in my opinion. Normal guys can be dropped in a few shots, purples in a clip or two, and yellow bosses have a bucketload of hit points...but they really did something brilliant. Whereas in D1, if they had 6 "armor" segments, you had to burn through all 6 before you started hitting the health pool. In D2, if you focus fire on a specific armor part (arm, let, head, etc.), you can blow that specific piece off. At that point, you are hitting the health pool directly, even if they have 5 other pieces of armor still on. What I found interesting is that they tend to turn away from you, keeping the exposed part guarded, to some extent (either that, or it's my imagination and it's just been lucky...because they move around quite a bit). You end up having to move and direct fire at specific locations more often, which makes even tough boss battles more exciting.

Perk points are readily available (SHD Tech Caches), as you will have a dozen of them in a single hour or two of play if you're just running around collecting them.

Loot falls quickly, and is varied enough that you will change gameplay styles as you level. Any time a game drops enough useful loot that it dictates you experimenting with different mechanics is a win.

The skills this time are all unlocked from the start. There's no "gating" behind finishing "X" story mission to move into that branch. If you want a carpet-bombing drone at level 1? Go for it. Or, you can end up like Dan and pick the 2 most useless skills in the game, purely by chance! :lol: For informational purposes only...pulse is practically useless (range is like 1/4 of what it was before), and the "blinding" Firefly doesn't do much of anything other that make a funny little flak explosion.

It feels like there's so much meat on the bone in this game, that it will be one of those "play it non-stop for months before you see what's there on day 1...and by that time, new content will be arriving" scenarios. Massive Entertainment absolutely crushed it with this game.

Now, a few helpful tips I wish I knew when I started:

1) Unlike Division 1, DO NOT DISMANTLE all of your old gear. They only provide you with tons of crap materials, and you'll quickly cap out on components/protective fabric. Instead, there are constantly revolving "projects" at each settlement where you can donate gear to. There are weeklies, dailies, normal missions, etc. Some have very good rewards, so stash your old crap, and when you come up on a Projects Officer, donate anything they need from your stash. Sell the rest as your stash fills up. This way, you'll have money for recalibrating and things you need, enough gear to donate to projects, and still have enough materials for anything (materials are much more plentiful in the world now. Stuff is EVERYWHERE, and the ratio of mats you get back from the gear you dismantle isn't worth it. Plus, you never get the "blue" mats that you need to craft good stuff, anyway). So, in this order: 1-Donate, 2-Sell, 3-Dismantle.

2) I don't know if this was in Division 1, but I never noticed it if so. I think it's the reason pulse was nerfed so hard. Just put your reticle over an enemy for about a second, and they'll be 'marked' and tracked (you can tell by the red triangle over their head). You can do this from cover, even without aiming. This means you can head into an area, and as a team scope out the entire crew without needing pulse, and never exposing your position. Very, very handy for coming up with attack plans.

3) Take the tree of "XP" perks first. Even at the first level, you get 20% more XP per kill with a headshot kill, and they ramp up for just about everything (multi-kills, environment kills, etc.). You'll level up much faster spending the 5 or 6 points in the XP tree first.

Sorry for the length, but this thing has consumed my soul the past 3 days, for sure.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Thanks for the TIPS... super helpful. I plan on playing from 7:30 until 2 am tonight!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Thanks, Terry. Great tips.

I'm picking up my copy this afternoon but probably won't play until Sunday. Gig tonight, and my son and I are driving 75 miles away tomorrow morning to watch the New York state boys' high school basketball Final Four all day and night tomorrow.

See you cats Sunday! Can't effing wait.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Nice, Terry. I'll be employing these tips in just a bit!!
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood