Racing 2018

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Racing 2018

Post by pk500 »

FifaInspected wrote:Anyone know if there will be any Isle of Man tv coverage in the states?
Same-day coverage on Velocity Network for about five or six days, starting Saturday, June 2.

CANNOT WAIT. My three favorite races on Earth in a span of three weeks -- Indianapolis 500, Isle of Man TT, 24 Hours of Le Mans.

It's petrolhead Christmas!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

I'll tell you what: if I make it to the age of 94 doing even half as well as the unstoppable Murray Walker, I'll be an enormously happy chap.

Edit: I should probably explain what this is. 30 years ago, Ayrton Senna set a pole position time in Monaco that's still talked about today as one of the all-time great qualifying laps. McLaren have marked the occasion with a video, but the lap was not filmed either externally or on-board (all of that "1988 Senna on-board" stuff on YouTube is actually from 1990), hence this. I'm not totally sure it works, but a gold star for effort if nothing else...
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Indy 500 Carb Day Final Practice starts at 11:00am EDT today and can be viewed on NBCSN:

http://stream.nbcsports.com/indycar/ind ... pid=206790

Can't wait for race day!

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Who are your picks for the race?

My top four choices are Bourdais, Pagenaud, Dixon, or Kanaan. Going to be a slippery track on Sunday unless the forecast drastically changes and I think Bourdais and his engineering team work so well together that they can figure out how to deal with it as well as anyone.

Really hope Hinch ends up in the ABC booth for a while on Sunday, he could be a huge breath of fresh air for that crew.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Dave wrote:Who are your picks for the race?

My top four choices are Bourdais, Pagenaud, Dixon, or Kanaan. Going to be a slippery track on Sunday unless the forecast drastically changes and I think Bourdais and his engineering team work so well together that they can figure out how to deal with it as well as anyone.

Really hope Hinch ends up in the ABC booth for a while on Sunday, he could be a huge breath of fresh air for that crew.
My top four picks are Helio, Newgarden, Power, and I know this sounds a little crazy...Marco.

I would love to see Hinch in the booth commentating as Kimi! :)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

"Supposedly", this is how the 2019 front wings could/might look like. https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/why- ... r-1041188/

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

I'm re-watching the 1995 Indy 500 because I know how to rock a Friday night. What a weird race (and season) for IndyCar before the split.

The tire war started and Firestone came in ready to go, Honda figured it out, both Lola and Reynard were competitive, and no team was dominant at this point.

Penske famously missed the race, Ganassi's team was still developing into a powerhouse, Newman/Haas had a bad day, so a bunch of random teams found their way to the front.

The lap 1 Stan Fox crash was so awful, still amazed that he survived it.

I forgot Gugelmin led so much of the race, but f*ck Bruce McCaw that guy owes me money.

It all worked out for him in the end, but Jacques Villeneuve's 2-lap penalty was insane. He passed the pace car for what, 5 seconds? And of course, you can't talk about passing the pace car without talking about Scott Goodyear. I sat in turn 3 that day and watched him lay down a burnout on the restart, looking forward to seeing that happen here in a little while.

Man, what could have been if 1996 played out differently. CART could have killed the IRL and forced a reunion by May, but it was such an arrogant organization.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dave wrote:Man, what could have been if 1996 played out differently. CART could have killed the IRL and forced a reunion by May, but it was such an arrogant organization.
No chance CART could have killed the IRL by May. The H-G family was swimming in cash from its massive Brickyard 400 proceeds at the time. What do you think funded the entire first 10 seasons of the IRL?
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

I’ve always thought CART teams could have rolled into Disney and Phoenix, dominated, and used their top 25 status as leverage against George.

Like you said though, it was a very different time financially so who knows. Things sure have changed a lot since then.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Indy 500 prediction: Dixon

He's due. He's the best driver in the field. That will matter on a day with high temperatures in the low 90s, with a new aero kit that accelerates front tire wear. Yeah, he's in a Honda, but the Iceman will overcome that and get his face on the Borg-Warner Trophy for the second time.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:No chance CART could have killed the IRL by May. The H-G family was swimming in cash from its massive Brickyard 400 proceeds at the time. What do you think funded the entire first 10 seasons of the IRL?
Totally agree and going back and thinking it all through, all sides were to blame and I probably would have done the same thing as Tony George.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Speaking of Dixon, i am excited to see the documentary "Born Racer" which the trailer was just recently revealed. While I am not picking Dixon to win, I would love to see it. He is probably my favorite racer of modern times. I don't know that it is a fair comparison, but he has always reminded me of one of my favorite racers of all time, Rick Mears. Fast, Competitive, Calculating, Smart, Fair, Driven, Humble, respectful of the past, etc... I was so thankful last year when I saw him moving after that horrific crash. Let's hope there is none of that tomorrow.
Four-time IndyCar Series champion Scott Dixon will be the subject of a documentary “Born Racer,” scheduled for release later this year. The production team behind the film unveiled a teaser trailer today at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. A powerful and inspirational story of dedication, danger, fear, and the rare ‘will’ some of us have to defy all personal limitations. Co-produced by Universal Pictures Home Entertainment Content Group and GFC Films BORN RACER is due to release in the US later this year.

The 2008 Indianapolis 500 champion, who was on hand for the release of he video trailer along with longtime car owner Chip Ganassi, ranks fourth in all-time Indy car victories with 41 — one behind third-place Michael Andretti. The 37-year-old New Zealander will start Sunday’s Indy 500 from the outside of Row 3.

“‘Born Racer’ is a big milestone for me personally, so I couldn’t think of a better place to launch the teaser trailer than the Indianapolis 500,” Dixon said. “It’s strange seeing yourself on the big screen, but also rather exciting. I hope it will give people a real insight, not only into the cars and the drivers, but the entire racing community and the huge amount of work that goes into making this all happen.”

Co-produced by Universal Pictures Home Entertainment Content Group and GFC Films, “Born Racer” was filmed last year with an all-access lens, following Dixon and the Chip Ganassi Racing team to Verizon IndyCar Series races and the 24 Hours of Le Mans. It also delved into the personal lives of the Dixon family.

The film was directed by Bryn Evans and produced by Matthew Metcalfe and Fraser Brown. Metcalfe produced the popular “McLaren” documentary that premiered last year.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

pk500 wrote:Indy 500 prediction: Dixon

He's due. He's the best driver in the field. That will matter on a day with high temperatures in the low 90s, with a new aero kit that accelerates front tire wear. Yeah, he's in a Honda, but the Iceman will overcome that and get his face on the Borg-Warner Trophy for the second time.
Borg warner is a top notch turbo company. Coincide?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

fletcher21 wrote:
pk500 wrote:Indy 500 prediction: Dixon

Borg warner is a top notch turbo company. Coincide?
Every car in the series uses BorgWarner turbochargers on its engine, both Honda and Chevy.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:
pk500 wrote:No chance CART could have killed the IRL by May. The H-G family was swimming in cash from its massive Brickyard 400 proceeds at the time. What do you think funded the entire first 10 seasons of the IRL?
Totally agree and going back and thinking it all through, all sides were to blame and I probably would have done the same thing as Tony George.
Many mistakes were made by both sides. A war that solved nothing and benefited no one.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Rodster wrote:
Many mistakes were made by both sides. A war that solved nothing and benefited no one.
Well IMO, there were two benefactors and that was Nascar followed by Formula One. Nascar began to gain traction as a stable entertaining alternative to Indycar and it's popularity was boosted with the Brickyard 400 and I remember the TV announcers mentioning the Indycar split during several TV broadcasts.

Formula One benefited because Bernie didn't have to worry about Indycar poaching anymore of his talent. Nigel Mansell made the move in the 90's and there was talk of Senna being lured/poached by one of the top racing teams and there was talk of Ferrari entering CART/Indycar.

But to your point you are absolutely correct, on this side of the pond, no one gained anything they wanted and everyone loss including the fans because up until that point CART was giving Formula One headaches and really was the only diverse and challenging and competitive racing series with a good mix of ovals/street/circuit races.

Hopefully Ferrari and Mercedes have taken notes, because there's a 90% chance they'll get the same results if they decide to startup their own series.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

ISLE OF MAN TT 2018! - THE WORLD'S ULTIMATE ROAD RACE IS HERE

https://www.iomtt.com/
https://www.iomtt.com/schedule
https://www.iomtt.com/upload/tt2018/tt_ ... e_2018.pdf

Velocity Channel Isle of Man TV Coverage
https://www.velocity.com/tv-shows/isle-of-man/

Official Isle of Man TT Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/isleofmantt/videos

Isle of Man TT Live! How to guide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-X3tnQ57F4

Isle of Man TT 2018: Preview with James Whitham
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fscY0ZRPQYQ

--------------------------------------
ISLE OF MAN TT RACES FUELLED BY MONSTER ENERGY
QUALIFYING PROGRAMME 2018

Saturday 26th May
18:20 – 18:45 Solo Newcomers’ speed controlled lap
18:35 – 19:00 Sidecar Newcomers’ speed controlled lap
18:45 – 20:50 Lightweight TT / Supersport / Newcomers (all solo classes)

Monday 28th May
18:20 – 19:50 Superbike / Superstock / Supersport / Newcomers (except Lightweight)
19:55 – 20:50 Sidecars

Tuesday 29th May
18:20 – 19:25 Superbike / Superstock / Supersport / Newcomers (except Lightweight)
19:25 – 19:55 Supersport / Lightweight / Newcomers (all Solo classes)
20:00 – 20:50 Sidecars

Wednesday 30th May
18:20 – 19:40 Superbike / Superstock / Supersport / Newcomers (except Lightweight)
19:45 – 20:35 Sidecars
20:35 – 20:50 TT Zero

Thursday 31st May
18:20 – 19:15 Superbike / Superstock / Supersport / Newcomers (except Lightweight)
19:20 – 19:45 Supersport / Lightweight / Newcomers (all Solo classes)
19:50 – 20:35 Sidecars
20:35 – 20:50 TT Zero

Friday 1st June
18:20 – 19:35 Superbike / Superstock / Supersport / Newcomers (except Lightweight)
19:35 – 19:45 TT Zero
19:55 – 20:50 Sidecars
-----------------------------------------
ISLE OF MAN TT RACES FUELLED BY MONSTER ENERGY
RACE PROGRAMME 2018

Saturday 2nd June
12:00 RST Superbike TT Race 6 laps
15:00 Sidecar TT Race 1 3 laps
16:35 Superstock / Supersport / Lightweight Qualifying
17:10 TT Zero Qualifying 1 lap

Monday 4th June
10:45 Monster Energy Supersport TT Race 1 4 laps
12:25 – 13:05 Sidecar Qualifying 2 laps
14:15 RL360 Quantum Superstock Race 4 laps
15:55 TT Lightweight Qualifying 1 lap
16:15 TT Zero Qualifying 1 lap

Wednesday 6th June
10:45 Monster Energy Supersport TT Race 2 4 laps
12:45 SES TT Zero Race 1 lap
14:10 Bennetts Lightweight TT Race 4 laps
15:55 Sidecar TT Qualifying 1 lap
16:10 Senior TT Qualifying 1 lap

Friday 8th June
10:15 Sidecar TT Race 2 3 laps
12:45 PokerStars Senior TT Race 6 laps

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Thanks for the schedule and all of the great links, Don!

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

I'm very confused as to any if there is any live coverage of Isle of Man. I've looked through the entire week of their schedule on PS Vue and don't see any Isle coverage listed up until Sunday morning of next week. Last year there was no TV coverage in the states, the only streamable option was not available on this side of the pond. I hope i'm wrong as i'd be glued to any live coverage.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

FifaInspected wrote:I'm very confused as to any if there is any live coverage of Isle of Man. I've looked through the entire week of their schedule on PS Vue and don't see any Isle coverage listed up until Sunday morning of next week. Last year there was no TV coverage in the states, the only streamable option was not available on this side of the pond. I hope i'm wrong as i'd be glued to any live coverage.
Velocity offers same-day coverage starting next weekend. The IOM TT is a two-week event. All of the feature races don't start until next weekend.

Velocity has offered TV coverage in the U.S. for at least the last three years. That will continue this year.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Paul - Thanks for clarifying!!
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

FifaInspected wrote:Paul - Thanks for clarifying!!
My pleasure, dude. Stoked to watch! Enjoy it, man!

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Watching Monaco Grand Prix.

Just tight shots of the same corners and cars whizzing by.

Really don't get a good sense of what's happening overall in the race.

Could use some aerial shots once in awhile to show more of the track, to show where the racers are relative to each other.

That may be difficult to do, because of the clusters of high-rise buildings looming over narrow streets.

It's a glamorous locale but maybe not the best for TV presentation.

But as I type this, they showed a POV clip of one racer shooting through a tunnel and then crashing into another car. That was good stuff.

And they got slow mo replay of the crash from another angle.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

wco81 wrote:Watching Monaco Grand Prix.

Just tight shots of the same corners and cars whizzing by.

Really don't get a good sense of what's happening overall in the race.

Could use some aerial shots once in awhile to show more of the track, to show where the racers are relative to each other.

That may be difficult to do, because of the clusters of high-rise buildings looming over narrow streets.

It's a glamorous locale but maybe not the best for TV presentation.

But as I type this, they showed a POV clip of one racer shooting through a tunnel and then crashing into another car. That was good stuff.

And they got slow mo replay of the crash from another angle.
The cars have gotten too fast for the Monaco GP and that was brought up before by some of the Sky pundits in the past and this year the lap records were shattered. It really is hard at times to keep up with what's happening in the race. That said my favorite camera shot is watching a car(s) flying thru the tunnel, then you get a sense of speed.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

F1 already has the stigma of being nothing but 55-80 parade laps with limited passing or excitement. Monoco is the ultimate day of parade laps in a place full of the 1% watching from their yachts. That is as far from a race as you will get in any of the major series. There is more drama and passing in a Mario kart 5 lap race than the entire monoco gp. The track is fun to hot lap on a video game, but it’s drradful in terms of the show. The Indy 500 will have more passing during the first 10 miles than we saw all day today. The race has history and $$$$$, but if someone had never seen formula 1 and tuned in today, they wouldn’t be a new fan. Montreal is the race to show a new person to get them hyped.