Google Wifi Mesh Network

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Google Wifi Mesh Network

Post by dbdynsty25 »

grtwhtsk wrote:If I set it up right next to my main computer (as my router is currently), is there a port on the back for me to plug my computer into. Currently I just plug my home computer right into the router directly. I know these are stupid questions, but I really do lose my mind when it comes to this sort of thing. I currently have a Zoom modem, router plugs into that, and my main PC into the router directly.
There is a single port for wired connections in each of the Google Wifi access points. So yes, you're setup will work.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I set up a Google Wifi system last night in our house. Took only 20 minutes to set up and configure three-node mesh network that is bathing the entire house in speeds of 110 MB down and 11 MB up, with nine connected devices, when I'm only paying for 100/10.

The phone app is killer, the network coverage is nuts in terms of speed and no blank spots, and the consistency is priceless after having to reboot my old Asus router almost every day.

Worth every penny so far.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I ended up not going with Google Mesh because when Uverse came out to fix my internet they had a single wifi type device and I get wifi in my entire house now with fantastic speed and they gave me the device for free because they had "accidentally" been throttling my speed for a year.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

pk500 wrote:I set up a Google Wifi system last night in our house. Took only 20 minutes to set up and configure three-node mesh network that is bathing the entire house in speeds of 110 MB down and 11 MB up, with nine connected devices, when I'm only paying for 100/10.

The phone app is killer, the network coverage is nuts in terms of speed and no blank spots, and the consistency is priceless after having to reboot my old Asus router almost every day.

Worth every penny so far.
Loving my Orbi....can't wait to see what Orbi2 will do. Hopefully take me the rest of the way to 1 gigabit from the 550-650 up and download I have now throughout the house.....

I am sold on mesh networks as long as the satellites have at least a couple of Ethernet connections for PC's .....

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Danimal wrote:I ended up not going with Google Mesh because when Uverse came out to fix my internet they had a single wifi type device and I get wifi in my entire house now with fantastic speed and they gave me the device for free because they had "accidentally" been throttling my speed for a year.
Solid deal! "Accidentally throttling" ... heh-heh. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

pk500 wrote: Solid deal! "Accidentally throttling" ... heh-heh. :)
Yes here is a story that maybe should be a lesson learned. Over a year ago we paid to bump up to 50 Mbps DL and I forget the upload. However I never got about 19 MBps on speed tests. I had multiple techs come out and they all said well it's use in my neighborhood or whatever else they could come up with. Even though I knew this didn't make sense i had no answer to what was happening.

Finally a month ago I got fed up and called and got a good tech on the phone and he told me all those reason were bullshit. He sent out a tech the next day who came in with the same thinking but then noticed on my profile it was only set for !5 Mbps not 50 and no one ever actually changed the profile. He called and got it changed and bam i finally have the speed i was paying for. I told him about my wifi woes and Google mesh and he said we have our own mesh network, it is $40 a unit but I'll give it to you for free. He went around my house found the best spot and even fixed my network setting and my house is now great, Whole family get seamless internet anywhere in house now with no issues.

Once in a while you find someone who is good at their job and actually gives a s***. If that guy didn't come to my house I would still have shitty internet speed.
Follow Me on:

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Yeah, that's grounds for some serious sh*t to be given to your provider.

I'm excited about being in a bigger city. My new place here in Houston has access to 1Gb internet (getting it on Thursday), so that'll be my first foray into those sorts of speeds.

If you pay for something, you should get it. This crap about "up to" still drives me nuts. Having an incorrect setting for a year would mean somebody better be giving me the difference in what I paid, or credit my account for 12x whatever that value was.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Oh they refunded us the money that was never going to get by my wife :D

It is just crazy they can throw a switch on a profile and kill your speed.
Follow Me on:

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Yeah, I had issues with Charter back in CA where it would constantly ping out, have horrible latency, drop signal...and then back to normal.

Finally after a bunch of techs, one good one was like "this is actually at the hub. They have a problem where it's not making callbacks to a modem, and it has to run through and re-sync itself. It's not on your end".

After MONTHS of asking Charter for answers. It was ridiculous.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Is google still the best wifi mesh to go with or something else like TP-Link Deco? Just moved into a new place and thinking of going with one of these to get wifi across the house and reach outside also. Internet speed I'll be getting will be 200mb up and down.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

vader29 wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 9:04 am
Is google still the best wifi mesh to go with or something else like TP-Link Deco? Just moved into a new place and thinking of going with one of these to get wifi across the house and reach outside also. Internet speed I'll be getting will be 200mb up and down.
They are all pretty good now so it's just a matter of if you're a google household really. If you use gmail, nest, google home, etc...then by all means get Google Wifi, otherwise, just shop the best deal. There are cheaper options and all of them are pretty good.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 11:10 am
vader29 wrote:
They are all pretty good now so it's just a matter of if you're a google household really. If you use gmail, nest, google home, etc...then by all means get Google Wifi, otherwise, just shop the best deal. There are cheaper options and all of them are pretty good.
I still like it. I added an additional hub (now have 4) and get great coverage. My office is outside from the house and gets a strong signal.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

vader29 wrote:
Still rocking the original Google Mesh WiFi system here with three total pucks. The best tech investment I've ever made for our household, without question.