Nintendo Switch

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Nintendo Switch

Post by sportdan30 »

Nintendo's new console preview trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c6MWsEE884

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Nintendo Switch

Post by sportdan30 »

Looks interesting. I do like the look, even though it looks a little like the WII U game pad. Don't like the little controllers.... much too small in my opinion. The regular size controller looks pretty nice. I guess the NBA 2K series and Skyrim is headed to the Switch. Would be cool to play those games on the go or if I was sitting in my in-laws house or at a hotel.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Usually these hype videos get me going, even Nintendo's stuff. But that didn't even make it move a little bit.

Maybe for my 4 year old.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Cartridges? Seriously?
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The screen isn't much bigger than a phone. And who the hell does local multiplayer gaming around a screen about the same size as an iPhone 7+?

It's sad to see Nintendo flailing about with odd hardware ideas. And there's nothing visionary about this. It screams reactionary, as if Nintendo is a remora trying to suck the huge underbelly of the blue whale of mobile gaming.

I spell Switch "F.L.O.P."
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Nintendo has to be different...I get that. They can't get publishers on board w/ their hardware so they have to make devices that cater to their games. They can't try to build a big powerful console because they just can't do it. They don't have the expertise IMO. They'd get crushed even more by Sony/Microsoft, so they go for the niche, hope they can sell a boatload in Japan/China then anything else they get in the EU/US is a bonus. It's been their MO for a while now.

The mistake they make is artificially limiting hardware availability, which results in a lot of hype at the beginning, but then people see the consoles out and about and read reviews and then they move on because it's too much of a pain in the ass to get one, or it just isn't that good. Same thing will happen here. Again, it's been their MO for a while.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Bleh, pass. Not even remotely interested.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

For me Wii U was totally DOA, but I will wait and see for more specs and the price on this.

It's obviously not going to be as powerful as the PS4.5 or Xbox Scorpio and their 4k stuff, but if 1) it is powerful enough to run most current gen games on switchable TV and mobile, and 2) has backward compatibility to access entire Nintendo library of exclusives, I think it could be a solid option.

It's not a replacement for Xbox/PS4/PC, but the form factor and exclusives might offer enough to be an alternative for many games and gamers, IMO.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I buy Nintendo hardware for their games so it just boils own to price. I'll wait for the $199-249 price point. I bought a brand new WiiU for $150 and it didn't disappoint.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Wish they would just give up on their hardware already and go third party. I skipped the Wii U entirely and probably will skip this also.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

The WiiU has been our families most played console the past 3 years, although, admittedly I don't play on the next gen consoles nearly as much as I use to. Heck, I just finished a few worlds on Super Mario 3D world trying to get some green stars.

My 8 year old kicks *ss at Splatoon and plays it more than SW Battlefront and Plants vs Zombies GW2 although he likes the latter just as much.

The Switch will be a no-brainer for us. Both my boys LOVED the new trailer and can't wait. As I age, I have more fun with the less realistic and cartoon graphic games. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is one of my all time favorites.

If the Switch goes big on Pokemon I can see it thriving. (Not my thing, but it sells systems)

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Supposedly 3 hour battery life like the Nvidia Shield, with fans.

Pricing will be interesting.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

This supposedly is the Shield 2 tablet which was scraped by Nvidia. The one thing Nintendo is withholding is whether this console/handheld will use a touch screen. Anything more than $249 at launch and it has NO chance. I'm guessing $299 at launch at it will probably be slow sales after the initial rush of early adopters.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Heard elsewhere it is NOT a touchscreen.

It might be easier to justify for people if it could run Android apps. at least, which would mean touchscreen, GPS, maybe a 4G option.

Of course it probably has very little storage.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Depending on pricing, we will probably get one. Even though my kid is now out of the house, in college, my wife and I still like Nintendo IPs. The Wii and Wii U were both rather disappointing. I only owned them for my daughter. But they eventually just gathered dust and I figured I was done with Nintendo.

But if Nintendo can just get back to a home console with a standard controller, with no touching and waggling, bring on the Metroid Prime, Zelda, and Mario games. Nothing tells me that this will replace a PS4 or XB1, but it could once again make Nintendo gaming a part of my life again. And it was once a great part of it.

I would love to play a new Super Mario Strikers and other Nintendo sports games, now with a standard controller and workable online. It would be the successor to the Gamecube I always wanted.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Nintendo Switch has a 6.2" 720p multi-touch screen

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... uch-screen

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

March 3rd release date.

$299

Battery length on handheld ranges from 2.5 hours to 6 hours

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

sportdan30 wrote:March 3rd release date.

$299

D.O.A.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Mario isn't a launch title? WTF?

This think is gonna bomb.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Sudz wrote:Mario isn't a launch title? WTF?

This think is gonna bomb.
Launch lineup looks like crap.

I've just started thinking of this a souped-up successor to the 3ds. It'll be a Nintendo games player, without Nintendo content split over 2 devices.

As someone who's skipped the 3ds and Wii U, I could see some appeal if I can use this to play all the Nintendo stuff I've missed the last few years (backwards compat?) plus all their stuff in the future on a large screen mobile device.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

sportdan30 wrote:March 3rd release date.

$299

No, no and no.

I already own a mobile gaming device. It's called an iPhone 6s.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

No interest in this at all. Seems like Nintendo is just rushing this to market before its truly ready. Launch lineup is horrible, their online service not available until the fall. They would make a bigger splash if they waited until September to launch.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

And supposedly those free monthly NES/SNES games are only playable that month. Nintendo has managed to outdo the Microsoft XONE launch presentation because so far the reaction has been overwhelmingly negative.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Pre-ordered.

I guess I'm just the kind of person that thinks it's pretty imperative to have a Nintendo console in the house. I'm a fan of the Wii U so...(I had more fun with Splatoon than any 1st person shooter on Xbox in the past year or two)

Also - I have 4 and 2 year old boys. They've never played video games but when they start, I can see a Nintendo being the best option for them at their age.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

This thing should be called the Nintendo Bait and Switch.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation