Hockey Night In DSP 2023-2024

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Hockey Night In DSP 2021-2022

Post by Lancer »

if tampa can win game 4 then they'll win the cup

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Big win in Game 3... can TB do it again tonight to even up the series?
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

MizzouRah wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:24 pm
Big win in Game 3... can TB do it again tonight to even up the series?
Better not hear s*** about making the nets bigger. Seems like every game is a f***in' barn burner.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

The ol.. too many men on the ice argument... either way, Colorado wins it tomorrow at home.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Big congratulations to the COL Avs. Great team build from the ground up all the way from Burnaby Joe to coach Bednar and the great team that was assembled for this season. The pain they went through when they were favorites the past 2 years because of their inexperience, while suffering some tough losses in the first and second rounds respectively.

They may lose a few veterans this summer but the main core is here. They got depth as I keep mentioning here and what a year for Cale Makar winning the Norris, the Smythe and now Lord Stanley. They were just dominant during these playoffs, and you can tell by the way they were celebrating, that they are a tight bunch.

TPA was a worthy rival, they reached their third straight finals after all but COL was a faster and more skilled team at the end of the day.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

McJesus and Draisaitl still ended the playoffs 1-2 in scoring despite playing one fewer series than Colorado or Tampa! :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

f*** Colorado and their d***** bag owner. :D

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

A very interesting day at the Free Agent Frenzy today wrapping up what’s been a week full of surprises starting with Montreal’s first pick last week. With Shane Wright expected to go first last week, not only did he slide all the way to 4th (lucky Krakens), the big fish today was Johnny Gaudreau who just signed with the Jackets as everyone thought he would end up with Philly, NYI or Jersey.

The other fish to prey is still loose in N. Kadri but everything should start to unravel now with Johnny feeding the puck to his future mate P. Laine.

TOR still will have the same goaltending issues despite the 2 new goalie signings, EDM kind of answered theirs with a 5 year deal signing J. Campbell, and resigning E. Kane.

Big step forward for the Sens in acquiring C. Giroux and DeBrincat earlier last week from CHI, a team that left me scratching my head as to what direction they are going with some weird moves making me think that their longest and most loyal players in Toews and Kane will have their clock ticking before they ask to be traded by early December.

Another eye opener was the Rangers signing V. Trocheck for 7 years? He was good for the Canes and is a solid second Centre, but for that $$$ and term?

Like what the Red Wings did, adding some solid experience in Perron, Chiarot and Copp to their younger core.

TPA adding long term extension to 3 of their core players was also interesting to see, thinking these guys will get their raise next year somewhere else, so why not lock them now in long term deals.

I still think some big name players will be traded sometimes before the season starts, cap space of course is an issue for most teams.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Blue Jackets? They're like the Flames of the U.S. He should have signed in a big market so he could be a star.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Lancer wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:58 pm
Blue Jackets? They're like the Flames of the U.S. He should have signed in a big market so he could be a star.
He’s a Star already. And Flames are much better than the Jackets.

That’s’ why the signing has so many people scratching their heads when CAL was actually offering him more money and longer term. When Johnny decided to test the market, people thought that perhaps he wanted to stay closer to family etc. So while everyone thought that he would be signing for the Isles or Jersey and have a chance to still win a Cup, he goes for COL for less $$$ and term than what the Flames were offering him.

Only Gaudreau knows…

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The Troceck deal stunned me. That's a LONG, expensive deal for a solid player, not a star.

Gaudreau's destination surprised me. I thought it would be Philly or Jersey because the Jersey Boy wanted to go home. He turned down a BIG offer from Calgary presumably because he wanted to play on the East Coast. But Columbus? Really? Why? His desire to move clearly was motivated by more than geography.

Regarding his stardom, Johnny Hockey already is a superstar in the hockey world. Sure, he doesn't have name recognition in the general sports world, but what NHL players do outside of Crosby, Ovechkin and McDavid? Try none, at least in the USA.

Happy with the moves Holland made for the Oil in re-signing Kane and Kulak and signing Campbell. I'm not convinced Campbell is an elite goalie, but $5 million per season is about the going rate for a competent starter. And Campbell is better than Smith or Skinner, so it's an improvement.

Still, I'm not ready to toss rose petals at Holland's feet. He never would have been able to swing these deals if Keith decided to play another season. Wiping Dunc's salary from the books was the catalyst for all of this.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

10spro wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:01 am
Lancer wrote:

That’s’ why the signing has so many people scratching their heads when CAL was actually offering him more money and longer term. When Johnny decided to test the market, people thought that perhaps he wanted to stay closer to family etc. So while everyone thought that he would be signing for the Isles or Jersey and have a chance to still win a Cup, he goes for COL for less $$$ and term than what the Flames were offering him.

Only Gaudreau knows…
I should have said Super Star. Nobody outside of hockey will know who the hell he is in Columbus. But say he went to a mid market like Philly or bigger market like NJ, he would get the media attention and become a big superstar. He'd probably get to do some Subway sandwich commericals. Or a rental car gig like Martin Broduer.

But maybe he likes that small market. Not much pressure to win. Like Charles Barkley said about guys like Bradley Beal in the NBA. Some guys are just happy to collect the money and winning isn't important to them. Like Beal declined a trade to the warriors last year. He would have been an NBA champ. But like Barkley says, some guys rather be the best player on the worst team than the 3rd or 4th best player on a championship team. I guess it worked out for Beal because he got some ridiculous contract extension the other day.

Maybe Gaudreu is the same way like Beal.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Lancer wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:55 pm
10spro wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:01 am
Lancer wrote:

That’s’ why the signing has so many people scratching their heads when CAL was actually offering him more money and longer term. When Johnny decided to test the market, people thought that perhaps he wanted to stay closer to family etc. So while everyone thought that he would be signing for the Isles or , Jersey and have a chance to still win a Cup, he goes for COL for less $$$ and term than what the Flames were offering him.

Only Gaudreau knows…
I should have said Super Star. Nobody outside of hockey will know who the hell he is in Columbus. But say he went to a mid market like Philly or bigger market like NJ, he would get the media attention and become a big superstar. He'd probably get to do some Subway sandwich commericals. Or a rental car gig like Martin Broduer.

But maybe he likes that small market. Not much pressure to win. Like Charles Barkley said about guys like Bradley Beal in the NBA. Some guys are just happy to collect the money and winning isn't important to them. Like Beal declined a trade to the warriors last year. He would have been an NBA champ. But like Barkley says, some guys rather be the best player on the worst team than the 3rd or 4th best player on a championship team. I guess it worked out for Beal because he got some ridiculous contract extension the other day.

Maybe Gaudreu is the same way like Beal.
If you watch or heard his press conference in COL, none of your suggestions would explain the reason why he left CAL for less money. None. Johnny hockey has been in CAL for over 11 years. He wanted a change. And if you apply the NBA theory here, Gaudreau would automatically become the best player in that franchise, so there’s goes the probability of playing second fiddle to someone else. In CAL he was among the best and in Canada, the Flames are considered a smaller market team.

He mentioned about growing up in the East coast and wanting to play more in the East while staying closer to home. Every kid in the NHL dreams of playing professionally while having a chance to win Lord Stanley. You can argue then that among those Eastern teams rumored to be bidding for his services, the Isles were the most prepared team to take that next step for the Cup followed further then by NJ and COL and down the list PHI.

Like I said before, only Johnny knows. Being an UFA has its rights and is his prerogative and should choose as he wants.

At times he didn’t even sound convincing to himself as why he chose the Jackets. Hey, let the cannon ball burst, they have a good fan base there and will get to see a very good player setting up the likes of Laine, Voracek, and Jenner.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I really thought Johnny G would sign with the Flyers. Columbus? Come on dude.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Diablo25 wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:11 am
Flyers never had a chance because of no cap space. Fletcher couldn't find a trading partner for JVR and his $7 million cap hit, which could have created space for Johnny Hockey.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

pk500 wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:37 pm
Diablo25 wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:11 am
Flyers never had a chance because of no cap space. Fletcher couldn't find a trading partner for JVR and his $7 million cap hit, which could have created space for Johnny Hockey.
He could have made space for a future HOFer. He’s getting killed in Philly right now. Someone changed his Wikipedia page to “Occupation: Destroyer of the Philadelphia Flyers”
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

The Blues not signing Perron is absolutely ridiculous. How do you not offer a guy who loves the city, the team and the fans as much as Perron did in St. Louis. Hell, he's one of the best PP players in the NHL and does anything you ask of him.

Army has made some great trades and signings but he s*** the bed on this one.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I hesitate to even get started on the disgrace that is the Flyers management and their plan, but here I go.

They fired Vigneault in December and had 7 months to prepare for their offseason. On the one hand, the smartest thing probably would be to say is, we're losing our captain and leading scorer this offseason, we traded away a bunch of picks the last few years to try and improve the team, and our cap is maxed out, and we're still 40 points of the playoffs. This isn't working and we should take a step back.

Instead, management has been telling fans no, no we're going to do an 'aggressive re-tool' and try to be competitive. They obviously want to fight growing apathy and massive hits in fan attendance that happened last year, so what do they do?

Signing a big-money winger probably isn't the smartest thing to do given the state of the roster that has needs at center, D, and a backup goalie, but Gaudreau is a star and a home-town boy and everyone knows he wants to play for the Flyers. He'll be a good story and an exciting player that will please a lot of fans, even if he doesn't get them into the playoffs. The first step to such a plan would've been to trade pending UFA Ristolainen at the deadline for possibly a 1st round pick, given the trade to acquire him clearly hasn't worked.

Nope, instead they sign Ristolainen to a long term deal at $5m per. Hmmm. I guess they'll have to move JVR for picks then? Well before we even do that, what if we trade 3 more picks for controversial Tony DeAngelo and lose another $5m in cap space ? He will help their god-awful PP, but now they're literally down to $0.1m in cap space.

Their next move is to waive Oskar Lindblom, a popular player who's game hasn't recovered since his cancer. This gives them another $3m in cap space, which they spend bringing back 35yo Justin Braun, and give freaking Nic Deslauriers, someone probably not good enough to stick on the 4th line, a 4 year deal with a partial no-trade clause. Unbelievable.

I think it's a mistake to do the aggressive re-tool, but they made up their mind on it. Still, they could've gone:
-Option A, Gaudreau, Lindblom and +1 first round pick, or
-Option B, Braun, Deslauriers, Ristolainen, DeAngelo, and minus a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round pick
These two options have the same cap hit next year, but option A has MORE cap space starting the year after.

The Flyers are the worst team in their division on paper, yet have one of the worst cap crunches in the league, and have already traded away solid picks in upcoming drafts. The 'aggressive' re-tool' was always mostly wishful thinking about the state of their roster, but then they did an embarrassingly bad job at that.

The Flyers attendance dip last year was unprecedented in team history, and I think it's going to be worse this year. People are rightfully disgusted with the nosedive the team has taken the last 3 years and their clueless remedies.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Pretty fair assessment of your Flyers current state of affairs, Naples. Quite accurate, And I know you were one of the few in accepting the hiring of Torts, at least give him one more chance to turn this franchise around hope.

Well, I would have included his hiring as one of the mistakes by management. Time will tell of course but another eye browser indeed was the signing of N. Deslauries with that term and money. Or they did it to satisfy Torts? 8)

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I would love to hear what Torts thinks of what has gone down with the Flyers at the draft, bringing in Deslaurier, DeAngelo, and the massive fan backlash. 8O 8O

I know your opinion of Torts is effected by his disastrous year in VAN, but his stints in TB NY and CLB were all broadly successful. I also find him strangely endearing when he gets emotional or gets into it with reporters lol.

I don't see anyway the Flyers would be good next year, but Torts+Gaudreau would've made the team a whole lot more fun and interesting.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Naples39 wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:39 pm
I would love to hear what Torts thinks of what has gone down with the Flyers at the draft, bringing in Deslaurier, DeAngelo, and the massive fan backlash. 8O 8O

I know your opinion of Torts is effected by his disastrous year in VAN, but his stints in TB NY and CLB were all broadly successful. I also find him strangely endearing when he gets emotional or gets into it with reporters lol.

I don't see anyway the Flyers would be good next year, but Torts+Gaudreau would've made the team a whole lot more fun and interesting.
Actually, his emotions and knowledge of the sport is what I love about Torts. What he did in VAN going to the opponents dressing room tells you that he wears the emotion on his sleeves. I actually loved that. But let’s face it, it got him into trouble, and I wished his leash was longer in VAN, you can judge his work after only 2 months.

What I am trying to say is that his method of coaching may not sit well with todays’ generation of players, the way he wants to send his message.

And with what’s going on in Philly, we’ll see how long he lasts. But I wouldn’t be surprised if he initially can squeeze every bit of juice out of his players, but in the end it gets old.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Torts is like a gallon of milk in a broken cooler -- very limited shelf life.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Naples39 wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:39 pm
I also find him strangely endearing when he gets emotional or gets into it with reporters lol.
AGREE. I hope his passion gets some results.
Last edited by Diablo25 on Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

pk500 wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:09 am
Torts is like a gallon of milk in a broken cooler -- very limited shelf life.
This is the popular impression and it is also what I assumed to be the case a few months ago, but if you look into it, it's not accurate.

He lasted 535 games with TB, 319 with NY, only 82 with VAN, and then most recently 447 with CBJ. By comparison, there are only 3 coaches in the NHL today who have been with their current team more than 300 games, and they have all won Stanley Cups (Bednar, Sullivan and Cooper).

In other words, he seems to last longer than anyone else except cup winners.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Eddie O leaves Chicago for Seattle Shocker!