Hockey Night In DSP 2023-2024

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Hockey Night In DSP 2022-2023

Post by Sudz »

The Bruins got punched in the mouth.

Also, was that Flowers last game?

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Nice rebound game by Toronto. Hedman being out was a big hit for TB.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Nice win by NJ last night in OT!!
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

The Oilers Kings series is getting interesting.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

if the Bruins lose this series it will be an epic collapse.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Sudz wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:17 pm
if the Bruins lose this series it will be an epic collapse.
Absolutely. The season they had, the acquisitions they added up to make sure no surprised would occur to them during these playoffs games. Big third coming up for both teams, if panthers can maintain their plan without some of the dumb penalties they drew in the last few minutes of the 2nd period, it is theirs to conquer it. So far they’ve played evenly the Bruins.

Guys like Goudas and Montour, very physical so far but don’t over do it.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Wow, this gotta be the upset of the last 2 decades. Didn’t see BOS lose 3 games in a row during the regular season let alone now, the depth guys came through for FLO big time. The only guy I feel for is P. Bergeron who based on the hugs to teammates after the OT, he’s probably going to cal it quits.

I can see the same upset now with SEA vs Avs, no big names at all but they all work together, stick to their gameplan and have deceiving speed up front that can pressure you hard.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Boston was soooooo sloppy. Bad passes. Poor defense. Goaltending went cold. So disappointing.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

As a Flyers fan I had a big grin on my face as the OT goal went in. :D. I would expect the same from a Bruins fan. And F#@K Jack Edwards.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Feels like Carolina is the team to beat in the East.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Toronto? Looking bleak.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Sudz wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 8:34 am
Toronto? Looking bleak.
It's over. Add another year to the running total from 1967.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

pk500 wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 12:47 pm
Sudz wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 8:34 am
Toronto? Looking bleak.
It's over. Add another year to the running total from 1967.
And that’s why, everyone East of Toronto hates them in this part of the country and most likely other parts of the hockey world. When the Cats beat the Bruins, ALL Leafs fan thought that this would be their year, after finally advancing past the first round. With all their skilled guys they may steal the next game and win 1 more at home but 4 in a row vs this rugged FLO is tough. And if anyone had noticed the likes of Marner, Tavares, Matthews, Nylander, wake me up…

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

10spro wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 1:22 pm
And if anyone had noticed the likes of Marner, Tavares, Matthews, Nylander, wake me up…
Well, I'm saying the same thing about Nugent-Hopkins, but we Oilers' fans are happy residents of Planet Leon right now.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

pk500 wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 3:10 pm
10spro wrote:
And if anyone had noticed the likes of Marner, Tavares, Matthews, Nylander, wake me up…
Well, I'm saying the same thing about Nugent-Hopkins, but we Oilers' fans are happy residents of Planet Leon right now.
I hope Edmonton gets past Vegas. They got beat down last night. EDM should have invested in a top tier goalie.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Sudz wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 8:16 am
pk500 wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 3:10 pm
10spro wrote:
I hope Edmonton gets past Vegas. They got beat down last night. EDM should have invested in a top tier goalie.
It’s all about cap space. From all the teams left, Bobro is finally making his big salary more digestible but still overpayed, if anything last night you could say they needed an extra D-man. When Hill came over to replace Brossoit, he looked calm and solid. Bet everyone was saying who’s this guy?

The way Vegas pressured their blue line was asphyxiating. EDM will make some adjustments next game as game 4 will be almost a must win for them. Some guys will need to wake up also up front and get their noses dirtier like Yamamoto and NH.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

James is correct about cap space with the Oilers. Not too many teams carry dual superstars like McDavid and Draisaitl and their requisite pay stubs.

Edmonton also is paying some dumb deals like $3.1 million per season for Yamamoto. I like Kailer, but he's a forechecker -- that's about it. Not worth that dough. Plus the Oil still is paying off Klefbom's big contract even though he is retired due to injury. I don't think it's a full cap hit for the price of that deal, but I think it's still a partial hit.

The Oilers thought they had their goalie when they signed Campbell from Toronto for $5 million per year over five seasons. I know Leafs' fans snickered when Edmonton paid that sum, but Campbell was the best of the UFA free agent goalies last summer. It was a weak crop, as Kuemper was about the only other guy at the time in Campbell's class. Korpisalo has emerged as a solid goalie, but who saw that coming last summer?

I don't blame Holland for signing Campbell. Nobody knew he would be such a bust in year one. Thank God Skinner picked up the slack. The big question remains will the Oil continue to pay $5 million for a backup goalie? Will another team be so desperate to pick up that big contract on a goalie who played like sh*t most of this season?

Regarding Game 3, James nailed it, too. VGK did a masterful job applying high pressure in the defensive zone. That flustered all six Oilers' D men, even the rock-steady pairing of Bouchard and Ekholm. Woodcroft and his staff appeared to have no answer for that tactic. They better tonight, or this series is over for the Oil.

I worry about Hyman's injury. He's a vital player and won't be at 100 percent tonight. But I worry more about Nugent-Hopkins and Kane. RNH may as well be a missing person on a milk carton in the playoffs. He has sucked and gone absolutely missing after a career-best total of more than 100 points during the regular season. Kane isn't doing much offensively and is committing some really stupid penalties and is lazy with backchecking.

Finally, I don't like the way Draisaitl seems to both give up mentally with careless play and commit temper-driven penalties when the Oilers struggle. We saw both of those undesirable qualities on display Monday night in Game 3. He better strap on his full-commitment weapon for 60 minutes tonight, or he'll be heading back to Germany for the summer in less than a week.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

The huge game 4 by the Oilers shows you that goaltending is NOT their main issue but answering the intensity and tenacity that Vegas showed last game, is. Not only the D was solid in the blue line but they contributed offensively as well. When you see guys like Elkhom scoring you know the team is having a good night. The intensity was there, their depth players showed up and fought the board battles evenly unlike game 3. Even NH broke his little funk and should play with more confidence in the next few games. Love the intensity of this series, some bad blood that’s been missing in most of this years’ playoffs.

I would be shocked if Pietrangelo doesn’t get suspended for chopping down Draisatl at the end of the game. Having said that, technically D. Nurse should be suspended too for being the instigator and fighting Hague with less than 5 minutes in the game. (That was a good scrap).

Very even series so far, love the intensity so far and game 5 will be worth watching for sure.

Now as I suspected, Leafs are not going to go down quite easily yet, their core guys showed up too finally, they may win the next game too but in the end it’ll be a case of too little too late. With all that talent they should push the Cats to game 6 or 7.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The fact that two of the Oilers' four goals came on bombs from defensemen proves that Woodcroft already has found a solution to Vegas' high pinch on the Oilers' D in its defensive zone.

It's Cassidy's turn to respond.

Pietrangelo should get a game. But Parros and his clown car wheel of justice can't be predicted at all. He may get fined; he may sit for the rest of this round. But Pietrangelo will get a fist from an Oilers' player whenever he returns, and I hope that knocks him out or at least gives him a good gash. What a piece of sh*t.

As for Nurse, technically he should miss Game 6. But good Lord, it's not like Woodcroft tapped the shoulder of a goon to go out there and take on a VGK player. I'm sure Nurse took on Haig by his choice. And he also kicked his ass. Did anyone else notice Haig biting the back of Nurse's jersey at the end of the scrap? No supplementary discipline for that?

Parros is a joke in the Player Safety role. It's not an easy job, but Shanny was SO much better at it and at least tried to be consistent.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

So Nurse, gets his 1 game suspension while Pietrangelo is waiting for his hearing. An absolute joke if he doesn’t get 1 or 2 for his action. And since Nurse won’t be playing in game 5, I fully expect guys like Kane or Desharnais to step up physically because to have only McDavid trying to defend Draisatl after the chopping incident with no nearby Oiler was ridiculous.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

10spro wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 5:32 pm
So Nurse, gets his 1 game suspension while Pietrangelo is waiting for his hearing. An absolute joke if he doesn’t get 1 or 2 for his action. And since Nurse won’t be playing in game 5, I fully expect guys like Kane or Desharnais to step up physically because to have only McDavid trying to defend Draisatl after the chopping incident with no nearby Oiler was ridiculous.
Ridiculous is a bit strong, especially since McDavid has thrown his weight around with physical play this postseason more than ever. Plus, I'm sure you also noticed he never even thought of dropping his mitts and risking his hands in his confrontation with Pietrangelo.

Still, WTF is wrong with a league that levies equal penalties to a guy who instigated a fight in a league that permits fighting and a guy who made a deliberate attempt to injure an opponent away from the play with a nasty hatchet chop? Bettman, Daly and Parros are the conductors of the clown car better known as NHL Player Safety.

The only consistent thing about Parros and NHL Player Safety is their maddening, illogical inconsistency. Embarrassing.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

pk500 wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 12:47 pm
10spro wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 5:32 pm
Ridiculous is a bit strong, especially since McDavid has thrown his weight around with physical play this postseason more than ever. Plus, I'm sure you also noticed he never even thought of dropping his mitts and risking his hands in his confrontation with Pietrangelo.

Still, WTF is wrong with a league that levies equal penalties to a guy who instigated a fight in a league that permits fighting and a guy who made a deliberate attempt to injure an opponent away from the play with a nasty hatchet chop? Bettman, Daly and Parros are the conductors of the clown car better known as NHL Player Safety.

The only consistent thing about Parros and NHL Player Safety is their maddening, illogical inconsistency. Embarrassing.
If I was McDavid I would be pissed that no one else showed up to defend Draisatl. I am the best player on earth, I am smart enough not to throw my mitts while I was being openly challenged with open fists risking injury while being pinned against the board and no one nearby to at least step up for me? Sorry Paul, if not ridiculous, cowardly. Now that maybe too strong of a word but if I am the best player in the world, I would protect him at all cost.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Again, McDavid has been far more physical this season than in past years. He had no intention to fight Pietrangelo. I'm sure another Oilers' player will take care of that in Game 6 at Rogers.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Best player in the world...10PM EST on a SUNDAY NIGHT.

f*** off Bettman, you round-headed turd.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Well, it certainly wasn’t for a lack of effort for the home team. They got a good core, they must resign Ekholm to an extension (although he was mediocre in game 6), Bouchard is going to be a stud and a couple of subtraction/additions to the depth department and they’ll contend hard for the next few years.

An Oiler fan however, gotta ask how much of an albatross contract D. Nurse is with a 9+ million average cap hit in the long run.

It’s hard to win during the playoffs, but the way they carried that last period with all the pressure, they were the better team but just couldn’t convert. Make no mistake, this was a hard fought series and it could have gone the other way and was much closer than the 4-2 series loss for EDM.

A couple of tough bounces/rebounds tonight, two minutes of brain fart during game 5 when they looked in total control were key during the series for me. As much as I don’t like Vegas, they played hard too, blocked a lot of shots and managed to contain Draisatl who was red hot.

A. Hill was solid too since he took over Brossoit, and was key in the win.

If there was one thing I would NOT have done if I was coaching the Oilers, was the yanking of Skinner a few times during the series. Only an uneducated guy would fault this loss on Skinner, he’s had a solid season but was just outplayed by Hill in the end. Could he have had a few more game saving stops. For sure, but you don’t pull the goalie when you’re down and it’s not your fault as much as they did it to try to change the momentum of the game.

It just plays in your mind and confidence is something you have to build on, but was stripped away a few times.