MLB Season 2022. Playball!

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB Season 2020. Playball!

Post by Rodster »

But the question is, will sign stealing stop? I started following baseball since the late 60's and baseball has always dealt with this issue. The bigger question is, is there a level of sign stealing that crosses the line? Teams will do their damndest to steal the catchers signs.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:But the question is, will sign stealing stop? I started following baseball since the late 60's and baseball has always dealt with this issue. The bigger question is, is there a level of sign stealing that crosses the line? Teams will do their damndest to steal the catchers signs.
Sign stealing is part of the game. The part that is NOT, is using technology to do so. No one has gotten in trouble for getting signs the old fashioned way, hence the reason catchers use a series of signs with guys on base. No one cares if you can do it...they care if you're use tech to do so.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Rodster wrote:But the question is, will sign stealing stop? I started following baseball since the late 60's and baseball has always dealt with this issue. The bigger question is, is there a level of sign stealing that crosses the line? Teams will do their damndest to steal the catchers signs.
Sign stealing is part of the game. The part that is NOT, is using technology to do so. No one has gotten in trouble for getting signs the old fashioned way, hence the reason catchers use a series of signs with guys on base. No one cares if you can do it...they care if you're use tech to do so.
Bingo. I always coach my guys, as baserunners, to see if they can get location or even the pitch from the catchers signs. My SS, who is now at the University of Kentucky, was great at peaking at the catchers signs while on first. When he would see off speed he would steal.

Another great way to steal signs is to watch the middle infielders while you are hitting. The SS and 2B should be relaying what the pitch is to each other (open mouth/closed mouth). Sometimes they will move too early and, as a hitter, you will see it. SS moves a step into the SS/3B hole - OFFSPEED. He stays put - FASTBALL. All acceptable and part of the game.

Here in PA there is a rule that you cannot have you phone on you because of the possibility of videoing.
Last edited by Diablo25 on Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Technology has played a big part no doubt. Everyone uses a Surface or iPad these days no matter what the sport is. Video should be allowed only on video replays while being monitored by an MLB representative. iPads shouldn’t be allowed near the dugout nor TV’s nearby.

When you allow video coordination in the dugout, you’re giving real time video information of the game rather than the standard streamed delay which is currently allowed.

The new age executives tend to think that they can out think the game by using such technology, a dangerous trend the league needs to address.

Use it only for allowed video-reviews...

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

10spro wrote:Technology has played a big part no doubt. Everyone uses a Surface or iPad these days no matter what the sport is. Video should be allowed only on video replays while being monitored by an MLB representative. iPads shouldn’t be allowed near the dugout nor TV’s nearby.

When you allow video coordination in the dugout, you’re giving real time video information of the game rather than the standard streamed delay which is currently allowed.

The new age executives tend to think that they can out think the game by using such technology, a dangerous trend the league needs to address.

Use it only for allowed video-reviews...
Problem is they HAVE to have a TV in the dugout for reviewable plays. Obviously there needs to be restrictions though.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

This whole scandal is just the beginning of a long list of managers and players about to fall flat on their faces. Jose Altuve? Did you or not wear any electronic device, when you beat the Yankees? He never wanted to have his jersey pulled by his teammates on the winning run. Hmm...

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

BUSTED. Nice find, Gregg.

There's NO WAY in hell an IFB would be taped to the chest of a guest on a post-game show. Plus guests usually don't wear IFB's -- that's reserved for the talent so the producer can communicate with them.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Interesting debate by the media, should the Astros and BoSox titles be taken away? If they do then that could set off other questions about HR records during the steroids era. Do you wipeout Barry Bonds, McGuire and Sosa records? They could be two separate issues but they both involve "cheating".

"The case for MLB stripping World Series titles amid cheating scandals, and the case against it. The 2017 Astros and 2018 Red Sox titles are under fire after MLB's latest investigative report"

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/the- ... gainst-it/

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

There's no way MLB will strip the Astros and Red Sox.

The sport already is under fire, and questions about its integrity will linger long into spring training and perhaps the start of the season. While Manfred did the right thing by banning the Astros' manager and GM for a year, which led to the dominoes falling of these multiple firings, he probably would prefer that this controversy disappear as soon as possible.

If Manfred wanted to strip the teams from their titles, that would have been part of the announcement earlier this week in which Hinch and Luhnow were suspended for a year. You only drop an A-bomb once on the same area; it's not smart to drop a second bomb on the same destroyed area a few weeks later.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Interesting debate by the media, should the Astros and BoSox titles be taken away? If they do then that could set off other questions about HR records during the steroids era. Do you wipeout Barry Bonds, McGuire and Sosa records? They could be two separate issues but they both involve "cheating".

"The case for MLB stripping World Series titles amid cheating scandals, and the case against it. The 2017 Astros and 2018 Red Sox titles are under fire after MLB's latest investigative report"

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/the- ... gainst-it/
That story makes a stupid analogy, by the way, Rod. It's comparing this controversy with Reggie Bush winning the Heisman in 2005. Puh-LEESE.

How did Bush and his family accepting money make him a better football player in the 2005 season, leading to his Heisman Trophy? That money had zero effect on his performance or on the field of play that season.

The Astros and Red Sox tilted the playing field in almost a 90-degree direction toward themselves by stealing signs with electronic devices. It definitely affected the game on the field of play.

BIG difference.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Interesting watching Kershaw’s numbers during the series with the Stroz. He was untouchable in LA with an envious ERA yet at Minute Maid stadium was lit up pretty well. Coincidence?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Here's another one: "Jack McDowell says Tony La Russa had sign-stealing system with White Sox in '80s"

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/285 ... te-sox-80s

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

On the money.

PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Wow, Dodgers to acquire M. Betts and D. Price in a three way deal which involves also the Twins. Mookie is set to be a FA next season.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

With the owners and players pissing away any chance of a 2020 season I have to say I have been increasingly enjoying watching the KBO.

Being able to watch replays anytime on ESPN+ has allowed me to watch almost every game.

Although the defense can be lacking, especially at C, 1B and the OF, the Korean game is more watchable than the current MLB game.

With pitchers throwing with less velocity, there are less strikeouts. Batters have great two strike swings and put the ball in play so much more than MLB. The small game comes into play often. As I get to know the players and teams, I am growing increasingly fond and can see watching it even after the MLB returns. Hopefully ESPN will still carry a game a day, even if they don't have their sometimes annoying announcers covering them. Heck, they should just have Daniel Kim become the lone announcer.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Sad day for me as my favorite pitcher, Tom “Terrific” Seaver and one of the Greatest pitchers of all time passed away today, I never got to see him play at Shea Stadium but what a ride growing as a kid watching the Miracle Mets in ‘69.

RIP Tom Seaver

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I am no fan of either team but I must admit that this WS was fun to watch, it had the drama, the unexpected and when the top of the order for the Dodgers is in check I really thought that this would go to G7. Good win for LA.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

It looks like the MLB is finally getting serious about PED violations. Robinson Cano has been suspended for the 2021 season because of his 2nd positive PED test and will forfeit his 24 million salary. Ouch !

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:29 pm
It looks like the MLB is finally getting serious about PED violations. Robinson Cano has been suspended for the 2021 season because of his 2nd positive PED test and will forfeit his 24 million salary. Ouch !
The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that new Mets owner Cohen has an under the table deal with him to test positive because he sucks now and clearly isn't worth the 24 million he was going to pay him this season. Now it comes off the Mets books, Cano gets to ride off into the sunset (already have been considered a cheater anyway) and the Mets can stick a half way decent player at 2nd instead of the Cano corpse.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB Season 2022. Playball!

Post by 10spro »

It was opening night for the Blue Jays today, facing the Rangers in front of 50K fans something I haven’t seen in ages in Toronto. With so much expectations this year in the toughest division in the league with BOS, NY and TPA always a threat, they kicked off the season in great style. As Vladi Guerrero was saying during the preseason, “Last year was the trailer, this year it’s the movie”… With key additions in M. Chapman solidifying 3B and adding T. Gausman to the rotation, this division could be anyone’s yet.

I will miss the services of Marcus Semien though.

Not the ideal start to open the season as Jose Berrios was struggling with strikes and didn’t even last the first inning. After 4 innings it was already 7-0 for Texas, and game over right?

Well, not with this team. A high octane group at an age where they’ll strive for the next few years with the likes of Guerrero, Bichette, Gurriel, Hernandez and Springer, there won’t be any quitting any time soon.

They came back all way winning eventually 10-8. Great atmosphere!