MLB Season 2022. Playball!

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB Season 2019. Playball!

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Welp, that was quick and easy. Guess I won't have to stress this game too much like I did game 4. Ugh.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

wco81 wrote:But it is the goal of every team.
How did the 162-game schedule come into being? It was to generate a certain amount of revenues for the ball clubs, not necessarily as a determinant of "the best" team. With so many games to play, teams are not playing with the effort and intensity of a shorter tournament, where the importance of each game, each inning, each AB is magnified several times over.
In fact the postseason, starting with the first WS, came about as a gimmick, more like an exhibition, and was arranged by the two clubs to put a few bucks in everyone's pocket. It wasn't even compulsory until 1905. For years fans of each league treated their champions as the "real" champion.

Everyone would trade failed championship runs for successful ones, but that shouldn't confuse those of us looking to determine the real quality of teams.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

dbdynsty25 wrote:The 16 straight division title Braves agree with this assessment. Ugh. I hate the playoffs.
dbdynsty25 wrote:Welp, that was quick and easy. Guess I won't have to stress this game too much like I did game 4. Ugh.
Uhg, Indeed...I really thought this could have been the year.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

RobVarak wrote:
wco81 wrote:But it is the goal of every team.
How did the 162-game schedule come into being? It was to generate a certain amount of revenues for the ball clubs, not necessarily as a determinant of "the best" team. With so many games to play, teams are not playing with the effort and intensity of a shorter tournament, where the importance of each game, each inning, each AB is magnified several times over.
In fact the postseason, starting with the first WS, came about as a gimmick, more like an exhibition, and was arranged by the two clubs to put a few bucks in everyone's pocket. It wasn't even compulsory until 1905. For years fans of each league treated their champions as the "real" champion.

Everyone would trade failed championship runs for successful ones, but that shouldn't confuse those of us looking to determine the real quality of teams.
"Real quality" teams would win under all conditions, even in gimmicky tournaments, no?

Quality futbol clubs, even if they win the domestic leagues, also want to win the CL. Players move to clubs to be able to play in the CL, not just win league titles.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I did not expect that tonight.

Now come on Washington!
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

wco81 wrote: "Real quality" teams would win under all conditions, even in gimmicky tournaments, no?

Quality futbol clubs, even if they win the domestic leagues, also want to win the CL. Players move to clubs to be able to play in the CL, not just win league titles.
Yes, but the difference between the CL and the league mirrors the difference between the post-season/regular season in baseball. City have been no worse than the second or third-best team in Europe for years now and they haven't sniffed a FL final. This isn't because the teams that got to the finals were better, but because a short tournament injects an enormous amount of luck into the process that yields results less reflective of a team's quality.

That last part is purely financial. Players move to the CL because the teams that make it have an enormous additional source of revenue. They get paid more directly and raise their own individual profile to generate more lucrative private deals.

Edit:

A tweet that puts postseason baseball in the proper context:
Joe Sheehan @Joe-Sheehan
Clayton Kershaw is one of the two or three best pitchers to ever play this game. Because he played in the October Lottery era, though, he’ll never get his due.

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I would say that the nature of baseball, futbol and hockey make these sports more prone to upsets since a single run or goal can win games.

In comparison, NFL and basketball, the underdog going up by one score isn’t enough to win games. Teams have to continually outperform their opponents through most of the game.

Of course NFL and NBA games can be decided by one point but less often than the other sports where scoring is much more scarce.

That isn’t to say a team can’t get “hot” in any of these sports and overcome teams which are more talented on paper.

As a Giants fan I look at the 3 WS as having hot players at the end of at least 2 of those 3 postseasons. They won those rings in spite of the front office, not because of it, because they’ve horribly mismanaged years of high revenues to leave the roster with albatross contracts for players who no longer produce and a completely fallow farm system.

However, luck or randomness isn’t the only explanation for certain players who underperform in the postseason compared to the regular season. Kershaw has had one of the GOAT careers but his record in the postseason is average at best, even before his poor appearance tonight, in a crucial game for his career and team.

Do you throw out his postseason performance as outliers for his career, since it’s a small subset of his appearances or do you reassess his stupendous career numbers to a certain extent through the filter of his wanting playoffs performance?

Of course there are many great players in all sports who’ve not performed to par in postseason tournaments. You can’t attribute it all to lack of luck. Clearly some players do not perform under pressure.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Asking about Kershaw’s playoff performances before tonight’s sh*t stain is hilarious. LOL.

At least something to brighten my day.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Well, Roberts has to be fired right? Another great season marred by horrible decisions in the playoffs. Dodger fans have to be livid right now. At least the 5 that have already texted me tonight are...so yeah.

Nothing exemplifies LA fans like getting up and heading for the exits as soon as that grand slam flies over the wall. Just ask Kirk Gibson I guess.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Well, Roberts has to be fired right? Another great season marred by horrible decisions in the playoffs. Dodger fans have to be livid right now. At least the 5 that have already texted me tonight are...so yeah.

Nothing exemplifies LA fans like getting up and heading for the exits as soon as that grand slam flies over the wall. Just ask Kirk Gibson I guess.
I get him avoiding Jansen there, honesty Kelly is just as good an option. Not using Kolarek or Urias at all is a total head-scratcher, though. That said, I'd take Roberts tomorrow as Maddon's replacement.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I've never seen anything like what I saw yesterday in the first inning of a playoff game. 10 runs. Crazy! Every single batter in Cardinals lineup 1-9 took a good solid at bat, starting with Dexter Fowler. You could tell within the first 2-3 batters that Foltynewicz wasn't nearly as effective as he was in the first game he pitched in the series.

I've never seen a player substituted defensively after the first inning (Carpenter).

Part of me wondered if Shildt might pull back Flaherty and save him for game 1 of the NLCS. But, I'm happy he didn't. Better to rest the bullpen and calm the nerves of the players and fans.

The Braves have a bright future. They're going to be a contender for a long long time.

If I'm a betting man, Arozarena won't be on the NLCS roster after he live Instagramed Shild't player's only meeting. Not smart rookie!

Bring on the Nats! Very happy it wasn't the Dodgers. Great series Atlanta.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Gratz to Cards fans, Molina is just clutch for them at this time of the year.

In typical LA fashion, Kershaw’s jerseys are seen being burned to flames, cars running over it. Here’s a guy that’s their heart and soul during the regular season, yet never really proven in post season. Roberts should have never left him on with the Nats core coming up, great drama in that series.

In the short term that AA has been in ATL he’s been doing a great job. They have some great talent, and some growing up to do but overall a bright future.

That Canucklehead M. Soroka will raise some serious eyebrows.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Irony of ironies. Bryce Harper leaves the Nat's for the Phillies. The Nat's are on their way to the NLCS and the Phillies didn't even make the playoffs. :lol:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:Irony of ironies. Bryce Harper leaves the Nat's for the Phillies. The Nat's are on their way to the NLCS and the Phillies didn't even make the playoffs. :lol:
And the Nats won their first ever playoff series, even tho they've been almost every year Harper was in Washington. That said, I'd take him in Atlanta. He's good and clearly not the reason the Phillies missed the playoffs as explained above.

I am sad to see Kapler get fired tho. I enjoyed watching him manage. LOL.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Rodster wrote:Irony of ironies. Bryce Harper leaves the Nat's for the Phillies. The Nat's are on their way to the NLCS and the Phillies didn't even make the playoffs. :lol:
And the Nats won their first ever playoff series, even tho they've been almost every year Harper was in Washington. That said, I'd take him in Atlanta. He's good and clearly not the reason the Phillies missed the playoffs as explained above.

I am sad to see Kapler get fired tho. I enjoyed watching him manage. LOL.
Yeah Harper is great but you know he’s got to be pissed watching his former team advanced to the NLCS.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

The guy who replaced him in RF, Soto, has had huge hits in the playoffs.

Only 21.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

wco81 wrote:The guy who replaced him in RF, Soto, has had huge hits in the playoffs.

Only 21.
Not quite.

Soto is the left fielder and was the left fielder last year when Harper was there. It's Robles who replaced him, and he plays CF w/ Eaton in RF (a former CF). Robles got hurt, so has missed most of playoffs so far.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

And it just keeps getting better for the Nat's as they almost pulled off a no hitter last night while beating the Cards. Are the Cardinals heavy favorites in this series?

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Rodster wrote:And it just keeps getting better for the Nat's as they almost pulled off a no hitter last night while beating the Cards. Are the Cardinals heavy favorites in this series?
No, Nationals are actually favored.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Rodster wrote: Yeah Harper is great but you know he’s got to be pissed watching his former team advanced to the NLCS.
He could care less and has 330 million reasons why. :P

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

It's been excruciating to watch the Cardinals batters thus far in these two games. Its as if they haven't seen these two pitchers before! I'm trying to figure out their approach at the plate.

DeJong is lost at the plate. Absolutely lost.

The Cardinals have a regular season record of 5-2 against the Nats, but they look completely out classed so far.

That said, Mikolas and Wainwright both pitched very well. Once again, Shildt rolled the dice and left Wainwright in one batter too long and allowed him to pitch to Eaton in the 8th inning.

One would think Shildt would shake up the lineup for game 3. Perhaps insert Jose Martinez, move Edman up in the lineup, bench Carpenter and Fowler.

The Nationals have good disciplined hitters. But it's not like they're hitting the cover off the ball.

Lose tonight and the series is over. No way the Cardinals are winning 4 straight.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

sportdan30 wrote:It's been excruciating to watch the Cardinals batters thus far in these two games. Its as if they haven't seen these two pitchers before! I'm trying to figure out their approach at the plate.

DeJong is lost at the plate. Absolutely lost.

The Cardinals have a regular season record of 5-2 against the Nats, but they look completely out classed so far.

That said, Mikolas and Wainwright both pitched very well. Once again, Shildt rolled the dice and left Wainwright in one batter too long and allowed him to pitch to Eaton in the 8th inning.

One would think Shildt would shake up the lineup for game 3. Perhaps insert Jose Martinez, move Edman up in the lineup, bench Carpenter and Fowler.

The Nationals have good disciplined hitters. But it's not like they're hitting the cover off the ball.

Lose tonight and the series is over. No way the Cardinals are winning 4 straight.
Another butt whoppin tonight... series is over. Hopefully Fowler is gone next season, I would have Bader in tonight. Our lineup is a mess right now.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Series over. Embarrassing display by the Cardinals. Over matched and out classed.

Apologies to Atlanta. They would have most certainly given Washington a better series.

Terrible base running miscue early by Ozuna after a lead-off double. Then, he misses a sliding catch in the outfield that would have gotten them out of the inning and left the score at 1-0. Sadly, I think this is the end of the Ozuna era in St. Louis.

After the drop by Ozuna, Molina nonchalantly tries to stop a Flaherty pitch. Ball gets a away and two runners move up and Kendrick drives them both in. Way to go Yadi! :x

Starting to believe the Nats could make it a series against the Stros or Yanks if they do sweep the Cardinals. They'll be well rested and are the hottest teams in baseball.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Really hate to see the Cardinals get boat raced right back in an elimination game. Lol.

Good. Even tho I hate the Nats even more.

What a horrible series.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

At least they didn't roll over and die like the Braves did. Actually trying to come back so far in the 7th.