World Cup 2014 Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

World Cup 2014 Thread

Post by JackB1 »

(I saw other soccer threads, but thought it would be nice to have one specifically for the WC)

It's almost time! :)

lets get the (foot) ball rolling.

What's everyone think about Landon being let off the roster? There must be something between him and the coach?
Certainly he's good enough to make the cut. I think it was pretty crappy to not let him at least be on the roster. The
guy has been the poster boy for US Men's socces for over a decade.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: World Cup 2014 Thread

Post by 10spro »

It leaves Bradley with a lot of pressure. If I were Klinsmann, if Donovan wasn't going to be among my 23 men I just wouldn't have included him even among the 30.

Just be frank with him, he's a veteran that played in already three WCs. Having said that, I wonder how much his hiatus during the qualies had anything to do with the final decision as he's struggled a bit when he came back.

But let's not get delusional here, with or without him team USA won't do too well in Rio.

My top 4 picks are Argentina, Brazil, Germany and my dark horse Belgium.

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

Not that USA will be getting out of their group anyway, but if they have the slightest of chances, they MUST beat Ghana in game #1. Not a draw, a win.
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

It's Hard to believe Donovan is not on the team. I know he's been on the fringes for a while, and there was always a chance Klinsmann would do this, it's still hard to believe it actually happened. Would he really rather have some of these young inexperienced guys than a proven vet like Donovan? Even if Donovan was just a role player, I would think he'd be a nice one to have.

All that said, things look incredibly tough for USA. Hard to believe we're only a few weeks away!
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Nothing like leaving off the most recognizable face from a mediocre team, in a country that doesn't really care. He could just sit the bench and do all of the interviews. That at least would keep the team on the radar a bit in the states.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Naples39 wrote:It's Hard to believe Donovan is not on the team. I know he's been on the fringes for a while, and there was always a chance Klinsmann would do this, it's still hard to believe it actually happened. Would he really rather have some of these young inexperienced guys than a proven vet like Donovan? Even if Donovan was just a role player, I would think he'd be a nice one to have.

All that said, things look incredibly tough for USA. Hard to believe we're only a few weeks away!
Exactly was my thinking. To have a guy like Donovan in the locker room is reason enough to find room for him.
It's like cutting Babe Ruth in his last year because he's only batting .260 with just 18 HRs.

Must have been a behind the scenes issue.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Nothing like leaving off the most recognizable face from a mediocre team, in a country that doesn't really care. He could just sit the bench and do all of the interviews. That at least would keep the team on the radar a bit in the states.
I can't believe this, but I totally agree with Scott 8O

Unless Donovan comes into camp 50 lbs overweight, with booze flasks in his pockets and needle tracks on his arms, you give him one last Cup!
I didn't even think of the whole "US - regognizable face" angle.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

He was at best a borderline option based on his form, and his history with Klinsmann was clearly fatal.

As good as he's been, he's always been an epic head case. Turning down the offer to join Bayern seemed to signal to Klinsmann that Donovan lacked the ambition needed to be truly great. And this was hardly the first data point in that column.

I think there he's certainly more valuable than several of the players on the squad, but at the same time I can see Klinsmann putting a team on the field that wouldn't include him for footballing reasons alone.

I absolutely reject the idea of bringing him as a show pony or to deal with the media.

My biggest concern from within the camp is what this has done to undermine an already patchwork locker room. You have a few remaining vets, a bunch of new, mostly MLS-based faces and the Hessian dual-citizenship corp. I can see some pretty significant schisms developing if things go badly. I don't think Klinsmann has done himself any favors here by naming Dempsey as Captain. Bradley is clearly the real leader of this team and for all his other qualities, Clint just doesn't seem to command the respect of the team.

That said, a victory against Ghana would right a lot of ills. I don't think a result against Portugal is out of the realm of possibility. As great as Ronaldo is, the Portuguese have a way of being their own worst enemies. I can see Ronaldo being isolated from lack of service or having to track back to less dangerous territory to help his teammates deal with the US pressing game.
Nothing like leaving off the most recognizable face from a mediocre team, in a country that doesn't really care. He could just sit the bench and do all of the interviews. That at least would keep the team on the radar a bit in the states.
We'll see what the TV numbers look like, but I expect no significant impact from Donovan's absence. John Skipper at ESPN and the team at NBCSN have been incredible force multipliers for the burgeoning interest in soccer in this country. I think you'll see better ratings for the US games in the group stage than we saw in South Africa.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

RobVarak wrote:He was at best a borderline option based on his form, and his history with Klinsmann was clearly fatal.

As good as he's been, he's always been an epic head case. Turning down the offer to join Bayern seemed to signal to Klinsmann that Donovan lacked the ambition needed to be truly great. And this was hardly the first data point in that column.

I think there he's certainly more valuable than several of the players on the squad, but at the same time I can see Klinsmann putting a team on the field that wouldn't include him for footballing reasons alone.

I absolutely reject the idea of bringing him as a show pony or to deal with the media.

My biggest concern from within the camp is what this has done to undermine an already patchwork locker room. You have a few remaining vets, a bunch of new, mostly MLS-based faces and the Hessian dual-citizenship corp. I can see some pretty significant schisms developing if things go badly. I don't think Klinsmann has done himself any favors here by naming Dempsey as Captain. Bradley is clearly the real leader of this team and for all his other qualities, Clint just doesn't seem to command the respect of the team.

That said, a victory against Ghana would right a lot of ills. I don't think a result against Portugal is out of the realm of possibility. As great as Ronaldo is, the Portuguese have a way of being their own worst enemies. I can see Ronaldo being isolated from lack of service or having to track back to less dangerous territory to help his teammates deal with the US pressing game.
We'll see what the TV numbers look like, but I expect no significant impact from Donovan's absence. John Skipper at ESPN and the team at NBCSN have been incredible force multipliers for the burgeoning interest in soccer in this country. I think you'll see better ratings for the US games in the group stage than we saw in South Africa.
I agree with you 100% on the show pony perspective. That would be a stupid reason, and all anyone will care about is wins and losses.

I just can't believe, that purely on form/quality, there is no place for Donovan on a roster that includes Bedoya, Green, Wondolowski, Johansson and Diskerud. Come on.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Is that the Uruguay flag? Bandwagon again.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Jimmydeicide wrote:Is that the Uruguay flag? Bandwagon again.
What is a Uruguay?

The Hellas bandwagon is now open and taking on all wagoners.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

XXXIV wrote:
What is a Uruguay?
Its the big ork dude from the depths of Mordor

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Jimmydeicide wrote:
XXXIV wrote:
What is a Uruguay?
:lol: (I am such a nerd for getting that)

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

Jimmydeicide wrote:
XXXIV wrote:
What is a Uruguay?
:lol:

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I got a Spain repeat.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Looks good to me. 8)

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Colombia will win your group, 34. It's between you guys and Japan to advance.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Bad break for Italy's Montolivo during a friendly. Out for Brazil.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

10spro wrote:Colombia will win your group, 34. It's between you guys and Japan to advance.
No love for Ivory coast? All the African teams pose a threat.
Itchy for this to get going, especially if my Kings lose on Sunday :|

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Jimmydeicide wrote:
10spro wrote:Colombia will win your group, 34. It's between you guys and Japan to advance.
No love for Ivory coast? All the African teams pose a threat.
Itchy for this to get going, especially if my Kings lose on Sunday :|
Yeah, they are tough too. All African teams are quite fit but at every WC they are at least 2-3 teams that really disappoint after the initial threat. I am going with Ghana and Cameroon instead.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Is ABC/ESPN going to have announcers and analysts you can't understand again?

They should have learned the lesson that they're not broadcasting in Edinburgh.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

wco81 wrote:Is ABC/ESPN going to have announcers and analysts you can't understand again?

Yes, Ali Mcoist, Gordon McQueen and William Wallace.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Jimmydeicide wrote:
wco81 wrote:Is ABC/ESPN going to have announcers and analysts you can't understand again?

LMAO
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

RobVarak wrote:
Jimmydeicide wrote:

LMAO

William Wallace?

:lol: :lol: