World Cup 2014 Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: World Cup 2014 Thread

Post by 10spro »

Macca00 wrote:
10spro wrote:The Lions look out of gas.
You mean the Super Eagles, not the Lions. Be careful with that - earn your ass a beat-down depending upon where you live. ;)
I would hear it from S. Eto'o all day long. Good tournament for the green Eagles, an offside goal by a toe and a clear NON called penalty on Evra as he was bear hugging a Nigerian player may have changed things a bit. Good tactic moving Benzema to the middle, it created more space for les Bleus in the end.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

10spro wrote:
Macca00 wrote:
10spro wrote:The Lions look out of gas.
You mean the Super Eagles, not the Lions. Be careful with that - earn your ass a beat-down depending upon where you live. ;)
I would hear it from S. Eto'o all day long.
Yes, because Eto'o is from Cameroon, not Nigeria. May not seem like a big deal but let me put it this way; what if someone told you Messi was Brazilian? ;)

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Altidore is supposed to play tomorrow. How much exactly, coach couldn't say.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Both teams with good chances, good to see that Algeria is not intimidated by the Germans.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

10spro wrote:Both teams with good chances, good to see that Algeria is not intimidated by the Germans.
This German central defense is just begging to be put to the sword by a really fast counter-attacking team. Don't know if the Algerians are going to have the technical ability to create enough chances that way, but if they can keep up their energy they just might.

Edit: A graphic illustration of that point. Touches by Neuer in the first half. 11 outside the area!!

XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Congrats to Mark Geiger an American official who was working the center for the France-Nigeria match. I believe this is the first time an American worked the center for a knockout match. Not bad considering we didn't have an official qualify the last two World Cups.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Neuer has been their best CB.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

10spro wrote:Neuer has been their best CB.
Pioneering the position of Libero-keeper.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Strong showing from Algeria, but Germany found enough to pull it off.

Looking ahead to tomorrow, Altidore is officially "ready and available." Klinsmann would not commit to how many minutes he could go, as you would expect.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Actually glad I had work today. Needed a break :P

Did catch much of the end of the second half and extra time. Was only a matter of time. Happy for Germany that it didnt get to pks.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Anyone eating a Belgian Waffle today should be tried for treason.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Naples39 wrote:Strong showing from Algeria, but Germany found enough to pull it off.

Looking ahead to tomorrow, Altidore is officially "ready and available." Klinsmann would not commit to how many minutes he could go, as you would expect.
he will defintely only be used as a sub.

nice to have someone like him in the "bullpen" though :)

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Cant wait until 4 oclock!

Let's get it on!!!
ImageImage

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

you can't bring on Altidore as a sub, no way. He's got to be 100% healed or he doesn't play at all. Subs are a valuable commodity especially when a game can go to extra time.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Rooting for Argentina and USA today.

Good luck!

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

fsquid wrote:you can't bring on Altidore as a sub, no way. He's got to be 100% healed or he doesn't play at all. Subs are a valuable commodity especially when a game can go to extra time.
just relaying what I read....

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... occer-says
"Realistically, after sitting out two matches and not training at full power for an extended period, Altidore is not a candidate to start against Belgium in Salvador. However, if he continues making strides, he would likely be in uniform and become an option late in the game."

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

I don't see a hell of a lot of value to Altidore as a sub unless we're nursing a lead. Worst-case scenario is a Diego Costa replay.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

JackB1 wrote:
fsquid wrote:you can't bring on Altidore as a sub, no way. He's got to be 100% healed or he doesn't play at all. Subs are a valuable commodity especially when a game can go to extra time.

"Realistically, after sitting out two matches and not training at full power for an extended period, Altidore is not a candidate to start against Belgium in Salvador. However, if he continues making strides, he would likely be in uniform and become an option late in the game."
I'm not disagreeing with what is written, just giving my opinion. Bring him on in the 80th and if it then goes to extra time, he's on there 40 minutes. That's a liability. What if he's the last sub and he limps off after 5 minutes?

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Waffels are a thing in Holland as well.

How did a small country like Belgium get all that talent? Looks like some of the players are immigrants or descendants of recent immigrants.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Here we go. We are heading up to the old part of town the Cidade Alta to watch the first game with a few other Americans and then can walk from there to the stadium. Should be a beautiful day for a game! Not too hot, clear skies.

Hoping for the best! We will see how much Jozy plays. Manaus effect should be worn off by now, so I'm expecting more energy and snappier play.

Go USA!!

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Zeppo wrote:Here we go. We are heading up to the old part of town the Cidade Alta to watch the first game with a few other Americans and then can walk from there to the stadium. Should be a beautiful day for a game! Not too hot, clear skies.

Hoping for the best! We will see how much Jozy plays. Manaus effect should be worn off by now, so I'm expecting more energy and snappier play.

Go USA!!
Should be a good one Zep. Enjoy it and keep making all of us jealous! :)

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

fsquid wrote:
JackB1 wrote:

I'm not disagreeing with what is written, just giving my opinion. Bring him on in the 80th and if it then goes to extra time, he's on there 40 minutes. That's a liability. What if he's the last sub and he limps off after 5 minutes?
Maybe they want to see if we NEED to play him? If the US somehow gets a couple goal lead, they will need D ahead of Offense. I'm sure they would like to rest him one more game if possible, but we all know there's no tomorrow if we don't win today.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:Rooting for Argentina and USA today.

Good luck!
Love the passion on game days. Yes!

Aguero won't start as his injuries continue to follow him this year, Lavezzi in his place.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

wco81 wrote:Waffels are a thing in Holland as well.

How did a small country like Belgium get all that talent? Looks like some of the players are immigrants or descendants of recent immigrants.
I know right? Belgium is the size of New Jersey 8O