World Cup 2014 Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: World Cup 2014 Thread

Post by dougb »

Belgium deserved the win, but boy they were playing with fire not putting it away earlier. Credit to Howard and some good clearances by the American D in front of their goal.

That extra time was just insane!

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I will remember deep in extra time, with the team left for dead down by two goals, USA coming roaring back and the crowd chanting USA, USA...

Outclassed, but not outcompeted.

Time for analysis later.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Same old WC story for the US. Great spirit, superb goalkeeping, physically outstanding but lacking in players with world class technique. They bring on Lukaku, we bring on...Chris Wondolowski. Lukaku completely changed the game. Wondo missed the choice opportunity at the end of regulation and was so unaware of where the ball was that he missed the chance at a tap-in during ET.

Hopefully, young players like Yedlin and Green are showing something that will break that cycle going forward, but right now it's hard to feel particularly optimistic.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

dougb wrote: Credit to Howard

That extra time was just insane!

Doug
Yes and yes.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

RobVarak wrote: it's hard to feel particularly optimistic.
I dont know about that. I see a future.

and that goal in ET sure has to feed some?

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

XXXIV wrote:
RobVarak wrote: it's hard to feel particularly optimistic.
I dont know about that. I see a future.

and that goal in ET sure has to feed some?
I'm a crab and this just smells a bit too much like 2002 to me. People thought that was the breakthrough year with Donovan, Beasley, McBride all looking like they were the tip of an iceberg of a new level of talent. And we haven't been back to the quarterfinals since.

I hope Wondo follows this Chilean player's lead and has that miss tattooed on his back. http://www.businessinsider.com/chilean- ... zil-2014-7

And let's be clear about where the real blame for this belongs: That team didn't win a game with Zeppo in Brazil. The math is plain as can be. :)

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Gutted. Deflated. Bummed. Proud. Ballsy performance, especially in extra time. Tim Howard was resplendent. Already looking forward to Russia 2018, even though there are plenty of good games to watch for the next two weeks.

I agree with Rob. Industriousness and heart only can carry a team so far. It's funny -- I was watching BEiN Sport's studio show last night with Christian Vieri and Ruud Gullit as analysts with the SIZZLING Kay Murray as host, and both Vieri and Gullit continued to double back to the quality gap in the final 20 meters of the pitch as the difference between upstart teams and established powers.

That's the USMNT's problem, too. But cats like Green and Yedlin give me some hope. But Howard will be 39 in Russia 2018, and the untested Guzan will be 36. Who will be our hero between the sticks?
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

RobVarak wrote:
And let's be clear about where the real blame for this belongs: That team didn't win a game with Zeppo in Brazil. The math is plain as can be. :)
:lol:

You cant get more scientific than that.

Looking forward to his report.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

pk500 wrote:Gutted. Deflated. Bummed. Proud. Ballsy performance, especially in extra time.
I know exactly how you feel. f*** I am still feeling the effects of sunday. That bad feeling is just lingering and its strangely being fueled partially by the pride in the performance.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

2018??

Guzan (I love this guy)

Yedlin-Brooks-Gonzalez-Chandler?

Johnson-Gil-Bradley-Green

Altidore-Agudelo

Just throwing out names, but no reason to think we can't be better in 4 years. Either way massive improvement possible in midfield over Bedoya, Zusi and Davis, who simply weren't international quality. *cough*Donovan*cough*
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Maybe they can recruit some of the reserves from the talent rich nations.

Though these guys make so much money that if they can't play for their national teams, they're not going to pout too much.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I will be rooting for .........

Brazil... Im a sucker for these guys. Have always rooted for em since they lost to Italy in Spain 82. SO FRUSTRATED THAT GAME!

Germany....Germany vs Brazil in Brazil. Not really a fan of them at all but the idea of it is really sweet!

The Netherlands. I would be anyway but no way I could ever root for a team that plays such negative football that its gets out shot be Hellas 13-2.

Argentina...Not because I love the idea of Brazil Argentina final ( I DO!) but I want MORE Messi and who could root against 10s?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I'm all in bed with Evita Peron for the rest of the tournament.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

pk500 wrote:I'm all in bed with Evita Peron for the rest of the tournament.
+1

Though I didnt want to give away the teams I will be rooting for later. You forced my hand. :P

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Wow...just got home from watching the game. Feeling so deflated. That last free kick in front of the box was a almost a brilliant goal that would have went down in US soccer history. It was perfect up until the very end. Just a bit too close to the goalie.

The US showed a lot of grit and never gave up. Howard gave the performance of his lifetime and deserved better. Hope he's got one more World Cup in him. One wonders if a healthy Altidore means a few more well timed goals that change things for us? If we were only able to tie the game in the 2nd OT we would have had a great chance in penalty kicks with Howard guarding the goal.

So sad that its over for the US, but they gave a good showing and I am proud of how they competed.
The future looks bright I feel with some of these talented young players they have. We need more offense obviously and maybe a midfielder or two.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

XXXIV wrote:
pk500 wrote:I'm all in bed with Evita Peron for the rest of the tournament.
+1

Though I didnt want to give away the teams I will be rooting for later. You forced my hand. :P

Don't cry for me...

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

No games until Friday. Well deserved rest for all teams advancing. I'll be rooting dearly for JJaYYmEh Rodriguez against Brazil, they are playing good footie out there while I prefer the French to beat the Germans. In other words go for the underdogs but as seen in the round of 16, every freaking game is so tight.

Go Cafeteros!

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

The USA went down with great spirit. Overrun at times by Belgium but defended heroically and the goalkeeper had a stormer. The States had a bit of bite coming forward too and gave Courtois a few opportunities to show how good he is. The free-kick set piece at the end was brilliant...would've been goal of the tournament.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Well, that was disappointing. I wish the team as a whole had played better overall through the tournament. I think they were capable of it, but never really played their best. Last night Howard was amazing, and the defense in front of him was as well. There were moments, of course, but just not enough.

The biggest disappointment from a fan perspective was that unlike the group games, there was no main USA supporters section. I kind of think the Belgians just took over a section on their own, because the stadium personnel never checked tickets and never seemed to make people move if they weren't in the wrong seat. I guess we just don't have the leadership from a fan perspective to do the same, or maybe we fans just didn't have the right mindset. It was a shame.

Windolowski's miss will stick in my mind for a very, very long time. This morning someone is telling me it was flagged offside anyway? I didn't notice that at the game and I didn't see that when I watched the replay last night. Is this true? If so, then it would be unfair to be too mad at Wondo. But at the game, it was almost impossible to believe he missed that chance. It's the thing that he does. It's the classic Wondo goal. Pits his bread and butter. He eats those chances for breakfast. (These and other things were said and heard for the few minutes after the miss! :D ). It would have been a classic smash and grab, and we would have won the game.

But it was not to be. At least we got to cheer when young Julian came on and had that fantastic finish off of that exquisite ball from Bradley. The last few minutes were insanely exciting.

The boys put it all out there on the field. They fought hard, and gave it all they had. Dempsey didn't seem very effective, and I wonder if the beatings he'd been taking in the first two games especially took too much of a toll. We really missed Jozy, in all phases. It's a real indictment of our talent pool that we had no viable striker to replace him when he got hurt. Maybe Boyd or Eddie Johnson should have been on the team just for that, but you'd think Wondo could have filled the role, but clearly he's just not good enough to do it effectively for ninety minutes. Even without Benteke, Belgium didn't even start Lukaku, and they brought him off the bench and he changed the game. We just don't have the depth at this point to survive a World Cup where you play so many games in such a short stretch.

I'm happy with Klinsmann at this point. I think he's got things pointed in the right direction and I really hope Galatasaray doesn't somehow pry him away. The spirit in the team is undeniably good. There are young players even on this team (Yedlin, Green) and lower down in the system who have a lot of potential, and not just Germans. But the World Cup cycle is long and many things can change.

It will be sad to leave Brazil. I've had a great time. I'm really happy I had a chance to come here to Salvador, because after the laid back, relaxing beach town of Natal, we finally know without a doubt we are in Brazil. It's an amazing city. The historical old town section feels a lot like New Orleans, the only place even close in the States. Such energy, everyone just partying in the streets, drum groups making their way around. Just a blast.

Thank you Brazil! Thank you Salvador!

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Well, that was disappointing. I wish the team as a whole had played better overall through the tournament. I think they were capable of it, but never really played their best. Last night Howard was amazing, and the defense in front of him was as well. There were moments of good play when we had the ball of course, but just not enough.

The biggest disappointment from a fan perspective was that unlike the group games, there was no main USA supporters section. I kind of think the Belgians just took over a section on their own, because the stadium personnel never checked tickets at any game and never seemed to make people move if they weren't in the wrong seat. I guess we just don't have the leadership from a fan perspective to do the same, or maybe we fans just didn't have the right mindset. It was a shame. We tried like hell but it was hard to make songs or chants last, or really make them know we were there with such a diffusely spread out group of fans. And please, please we must now retire "I believe." It's officially been ruined.

Windolowski's miss will stick in my mind for a very, very long time. This morning someone is telling me it was flagged offside anyway? I didn't notice that at the game and I didn't see that when I watched the replay last night. Is this true? If so, then it would be unfair to be too mad at Wondo. But at the game, it was almost impossible to believe he missed that chance. It's the thing that he does. It's the classic Wondo goal. It's his bread and butter. He eats those chances for breakfast. (These and other things were said and heard for the few minutes after the miss! :D ). It would have been a classic smash and grab, and we would have won the game.

But it was not to be. At least we got to cheer when young Julian came on and had that fantastic finish off of that exquisite ball from Bradley. The last few minutes were insanely exciting.

The boys put it all out there on the field. They fought hard, and gave it all they had. Dempsey didn't seem very effective, and I wonder if the beatings he'd been taking in the first two games especially took too much of a toll. We really missed Jozy, in all phases. It's a real indictment of our talent pool that we had no viable striker to replace him when he got hurt. Maybe Boyd or Eddie Johnson should have been on the team just for that, but you'd think Wondo could have filled the role, but clearly he's just not good enough to do it effectively for ninety minutes. As a contrast, even without Benteke, Belgium didn't even start Lukaku, and they brought him off the bench and he changed the game. We just don't have the depth at this point to survive a World Cup where you play so many games in such a short stretch.

I'm happy with Klinsmann at this point. I think he's got things pointed in the right direction and I really hope Galatasaray doesn't somehow pry him away. The spirit in the team is undeniably good. There are young players even on this team (Yedlin, Green) and lower down in the system who have a lot of potential, and not just Germans. But the World Cup cycle is long and many things can change.

It will be sad to leave Brazil. I've had a great time. I'm really happy I had a chance to come here to Salvador, because after the laid back, relaxing beach town of Natal, we finally know without a doubt we are in Brazil. It's an amazing city. The historical old town section feels a lot like New Orleans, the only place even close in the States. Such energy, everyone just partying in the streets, drum groups making their way around. Just a blast.

Thank you Brazil! Thank you Salvador!

TheTruth
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TheTruth »

Zeppo wrote:Windolowski's miss will stick in my mind for a very, very long time. This morning someone is telling me it was flagged offside anyway? I didn't notice that at the game and I didn't see that when I watched the replay last night. Is this true?
On the broadcast at first they said the same thing, that it looked liked they called offsides. But a minute later said the flag was raised just for a goal kick. On the replay you could clearly see he was well onside.

Glad you had a good trip. Would be an awesome experience.
[b]Xbox Live Gamertag:[/b] [color=red]HOGZ TheTruth[/color] Wii: 7256 9991 5571 9701

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Zeppo wrote:Well, that was disappointing. I wish the team as a whole had played better overall through the tournament. I think they were capable of it, but never really played their best. Last night Howard was amazing, and the defense in front of him was as well. There were moments, of course, but just not enough.

The biggest disappointment from a fan perspective was that unlike the group games, there was no main USA supporters section. I kind of think the Belgians just took over a section on their own, because the stadium personnel never checked tickets and never seemed to make people move if they weren't in the wrong seat. I guess we just don't have the leadership from a fan perspective to do the same, or maybe we fans just didn't have the right mindset. It was a shame.

Windolowski's miss will stick in my mind for a very, very long time. This morning someone is telling me it was flagged offside anyway? I didn't notice that at the game and I didn't see that when I watched the replay last night. Is this true? If so, then it would be unfair to be too mad at Wondo. But at the game, it was almost impossible to believe he missed that chance. It's the thing that he does. It's the classic Wondo goal. Pits his bread and butter. He eats those chances for breakfast. (These and other things were said and heard for the few minutes after the miss! :D ). It would have been a classic smash and grab, and we would have won the game.
Not sure. Yes it was flagged offside, but the replay showed it wasn't. The announcers said it was flagged for offside. Who the heck knows? Had that one went in, there would be been a world of controversy surrounding it.

Sounds like you had a great time in Brazil!

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

It wasn't flagged offside. For offsides, the linesman holds his flag straight up in the air and holds it until the referee acknowledges it with a whistle. Then the linesman uses the flag to point where the offsides occurred relative to the linesman (e.g. downward on the near side of the field, upwards on the far side).

On the replay, the linesman never held his flag straight up - he just went straight to the signal for goal kick (flag straight out) which looks like the signal for pointing where offsides occurred relative to the linesman (middle of the field).

It's good for Wondolowski that the announcers were confused - it took attention away from that moment which was (probably) the worst miss in the tournament and (definitely) the biggest miss in U.S. soccer history. You just can't miss from there. And he had a few other chances that he should have done better with - the rebound from the Dempsey shot on the amazing free kick came straight to Wondo's feet and he missed, and there was a nice cross late in extra time that was just a little behind him, but he flubbed it. Just a horrible performance.

I'm surprised there was no supporters section - Zep, did you have a TST ticket? Usually FIFA groups those together, even in the knockout stage.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

US lacks physical athlete, aside from Altidore. Too often on one on one match ups along the sidelines, they're pushed off the ball. Or like the first Belgian goal, their players can shed our defenders like men flicking away gnats.

You wonder how well an NFL skill player or an NBA wing player would do. They would have the physical strength and size, speed, short-area explosiveness. Of course kicking skills take a long time to develop and it may be that explosive athletes used to a lot of time outs and getting subbed for may not have the stamina to run for 80 minutes and still have the ability to be explosive in the right moments.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Well it's the next day and it still sucks. On the bright side, the always fluid pen of Brian Phillips did not disappoint, even in the tight confines of Twitter:
New American fans: this is what soccer is like. It kills you, and you die, and sometimes it's beautiful, and then you do it again next week.