World Cup 2014 Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: World Cup 2014 Thread

Post by Zeppo »

Driving in Brazil is an adventure especially in the rain in the dark :( but we made it back to the house in Natal in one piece.

They looked sluggish today and I'm willing to blame it almost entirely on the Manaus effect. I don't think we had one single shot on target the entire game. Portugal becomes the only team not to lose after playing in Manaus, and thank goodness they did because things were very tense when we hear Ghana had tied the game 1-1. With us behind already, all it would have taken was one Ghana goal to end the tournament for us.

But when word got around that Portugal had scored again, the cheers rose up. Next stop, Salvador! It was a pretty fun scene after the match in the concourse above the section, with lots and lots of happy folks jumping around and singing and celebrating that we moved on.

Belgium will prove to be a tough challenge, but I'm hopeful we will be better rested and recovered from the Manaus excursion and capable of playing our best game yet. We will need to. I'm still convinced that we are the best team in CONCACAF: better than Los Ticos, and better than Mexico. But in this tournament we haven't played like it, at all. The next game is going to be a great chance to show that we truly are.

Romario is in so many commercials down here, it's crazy.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

WOW!

In Brazil!

Thats awesome!

You are going to the Belgium game?

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

XXXIV wrote:WOW!

In Brazil!

Thats awesome!

When the game was stopped for a fan on the field I immediately texted Macca "There's our boy Zep!" :)
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Did he have a plastic carrier bag full of all the free colored leaflets and key chains waving it around. :lol: Thats funny i never even saw that during the game.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

In Brazil!

Thats awesome!

Planning on it. I need to pick up my game ticket from FIFA today. Staying one more night in Natal and then flying to Salvador early AM tomorrow with two work buddies who have been on the now epically infamous, disastrous American Outlaws package trip. They've been lucky enough to be on the "good plane" so it hasn't been nearly as bad for them as for many others on the trip, but it still hasn't been the smoothest operation. They haven't missed any USA games, though, unlike me. :(

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

what went wrong with the American Outlaws trip?

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Zeppo wrote:

In Brazil!

Thats awesome!

Planning on it. I need to pick up my game ticket from FIFA today. Staying one more night in Natal and then flying to Salvador early AM tomorrow with two work buddies who have been on the now epically infamous, disastrous American Outlaws package trip. They've been lucky enough to be on the "good plane" so it hasn't been nearly as bad for them as for many others on the trip, but it still hasn't been the smoothest operation. They haven't missed any USA games, though, unlike me. :(
Thanks for the reports. So was or wasn't that you that ran out onto the field yesterday? :)

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Jermaine Jones with broken nose #2 on US team.

US soccer teasing possibility Jozy to be available against Belguim. Still seems like a long shot to me.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

This Adidas pic of Suarez can be found anywhere near your sporting goods area so fans are having all kind of imaginations.

Gotta applaud Fifa when it's deserved. We all know that Blatter should disappear but his disciplinary lieutenants did the right thing this time. To some it maybe excessive but it's just feels right to me.

As to the question why Liverpool's management should be absolved of this transgression, look they knew well what happened with him when he was in Netherlands, so they took their chances when he was signed.

A pity really, but hope his gets some counseling and comes back strong again.

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

Zeppo wrote:Planning on it. I need to pick up my game ticket from FIFA today. Staying one more night in Natal and then flying to Salvador early AM tomorrow with two work buddies who have been on the now epically infamous, disastrous American Outlaws package trip. They've been lucky enough to be on the "good plane" so it hasn't been nearly as bad for them as for many others on the trip, but it still hasn't been the smoothest operation. They haven't missed any USA games, though, unlike me. :(
Infamous, disastrous trip? Do tell. I'm regretting not being in Brazil, so I have to live vicariously through someone. Hope you're having fun - Brazil is wonderful, and it must be amazing during the cup.

(Apart from the flooding, that is.)

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

fsquid wrote:what went wrong with the American Outlaws trip?
http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2014/6/2 ... d-or-leave

This is a pretty good account of the trip many endured to Manaus, but apparently the problems started right from the start with the flights from Houston. As far as I know, everyone made it to every game, but still; in a lot of ways, it isn't what they thought they were paying for.

And AO are done as far as the trip; they've gone back the the States. Some individuals are staying, including the couple of work friends I'm with now, but nothing organized or en mass. I'll be very curious to see what kind of supporters section we have at Salvador.

US Soccer sucks at the supporters thing. They just don't seem to get it, and they don't invest even the slightest of resources to helping us out with planning or logistics or anything. Shame on them.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Zeppo wrote:
fsquid wrote:what went wrong with the American Outlaws trip?
http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2014/6/2 ... d-or-leave

This is a pretty good account of the trip many endured to Manaus, but apparently the problems started right from the start with the flights from Houston. As far as I know, everyone made it to every game, but still; in a lot of ways, it isn't what they thought they were paying for.

And AO are done as far as the trip; they've gone back the the States. Some individuals are staying, including the couple of work friends I'm with now, but nothing organized or en mass. I'll be very curious to see what kind of supporters section we have at Salvador.

US Soccer sucks at the supporters thing. They just don't seem to get it, and they don't invest even the slightest of resources to helping us out with planning or logistics or anything. Shame on them.
Thats a brutal story. Especially when you consider that these are just poor saps going to watch a football game.

Shame indeed.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Brazil didn't have to qualify for the WC being the hosts, so they better not underestimate Chile who were a pain to face during qualification. Key thing for them is Vidal coming back to patrol the midfield and G. Jara a workhorse. Be organized during transition using the flanks and hold off Brazil to a tie as long as possible.

If the hosts can score early they'll set up the pace at will and with all fans behind them it'll be hard to stop them. They better tidy up in the back as the Chileans are quite quick.

Elimination round folks, you lose you go home.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Neymar is right footed if you didnt know guys.
Suarez would of had a hatrick by now but he has vampire skills which means he can finish with both feet, its a revelation a footballer who can use both feet. AMAZING!!

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Did someone say Suarez?

Brazil playing 1982 vs Italy style defense...Get thy heads out thy asses samba boys.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Pretty casual defending cost Brazil the tie as Alexis doesn't miss from there, plus a couple of more indecisions at the end. The Chilean D is not any better,when Gustavo, Neymar, Hulk decide to turn on the jets you are not going to catch up to them.

Beautiful flying save by Bravo on Alves that could have put them ahead 2-1. Pretty even in ball possession so far, and like I was saying early, this Chilean team is a bit of pest. They better watch out for the yellow cards.

Paging Oscar...

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Now awaiting riots....

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Feel sorry for that little pocket of red chile fans LOL luckily they have a tunnel below them, i hope its not too much of a drop might be their only escape.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

The new Fifa rule of only allowing 2 Fellani wigs on the field at a time is in effect as Willian remains on the bench.

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

Brazil on the brink here. Chile looking much better on the ball. Free-flowing match, as might be expected without a referee on the pitch.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

rhymes450 wrote:Brazil on the brink here. Chile looking much better on the ball. Free-flowing match, as might be expected without a referee on the pitch.
I want to see an all Argentina-Brazil war in the finals so I am hoping that the yellow comes thru but the way Sanchez and now Pinilla can create havoc, you never know.

Bravo has been outstanding, someone else has to create chances for Brazil besides the Hulk.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Jimmydeicide wrote:The new Fifa rule of only allowing 2 Fellani wigs on the field at a time is in effect as Willian remains on the bench.
I was wondering when Oscar would be substituted.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Love watching the Chilean players simultaneously writhing on the turf like stuck pigs.

Great fun! :roll:

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Pitbull is doing a fantastic job coaching Chile. 8)