Oculus Rift

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Oculus Rift

Post by DChaps »

During the Oculus Connect 6 Live stream (link below), they just announced that Vader Immortal Episode II is now available in the Oculus Store for Quest and Rift. However, I am not seeing it. Anyone else with Rift able to download Vader Immortal Episode II?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jVM5UTGcac

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

DChaps wrote:During the Oculus Connect 6 Live stream (link below), they just announced that Vader Immortal Episode II is now available in the Oculus Store for Quest and Rift. However, I am not seeing it. Anyone else with Rift able to download Vader Immortal Episode II?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jVM5UTGcac
I haven't looked for Vader Ep. 2, but damn lots of big stuff announced today.

Finger/hand tracking released next year could be pretty wild, but honestly I'm most excited for Oculus Link to wire Quest into a PC for PCVR games. Time to sell my CV1 Rift...
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

So I've had my Oculus Rift for almost 3 1/2 years, and something happened this weekend that has never happened to me before and I am curious if any of you older VR guys like me (I am in my early 50's) have experienced this and more importantly have ideas on how to fix. I have played all sorts of games on my Rift over the years including racing sims, platformers, fps, flight sims, etc and have never really had any major motion sickness to speak of. I do usually limit my time to 30 min or less at a go. I have never had any issues at all with a racing sim (iRacing, rfactor 2, race room, project cars 2, DiRT Rally 1/2, etc. So this weekend I was playing the Automobilista 2 racing sim beta in VR (awesome by the way), and was on about my 6th lap of a 10 lap karting race and all of a sudden I felt a cold sweat, and next thing I know I am running to the bathroom to throw up. It came on that quick. I had maybe been playing 15 min. I called it a night and figured maybe I was not feeling well, dehydrated etc. Tried again about 24 hours later, and this time I paid more attention to the warning signs, but I had to take the headset off no more than 10 minutes into it. Backed out again, and then decided to wait and try another game the next day. So the next day I try Beat Saber which has never given me much problem if at all, and 10 minutes into I am dizzy and feeling sick. I don't have any other symptoms so at this point it appears that something has changed in my older age that is now causing me to get motion sick very quickly in VR. I have looked at all the sites and videos with the suggestions on how to remedy, but I was mainly curious if any of you long time VR users have experienced a change over time. I never had any issues at all, and now it appears I may not be able to play in VR anymore which will suck, especially with Half-Life Alyx on the way in a few weeks! :)

https://www.half-life.com/en/alyx

Ten minutes of Half-Life: Alyx: The biggest VR goosebumps we’ve ever had
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/03/ ... -ever-had/

Everything We Learned From IGN’s Half-Life: Alyx Gameplay Footage
https://uploadvr.com/ign-half-life-alyx ... y-footage/

Half-Life: Alyx - Hands on with Valve's virtual reality game-changer
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/technology- ... me-changer

Everything we know about Half-Life: Alyx
https://www.pcgamer.com/half-life-alyx- ... g-we-know/

Half-Life: Alyx Gameplay Looks INCREDIBLE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNTLS3Kl60Y

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

The only issues I have had with the Rift have been in Assetto Corsa until I fixed the view to the horizon, the Space station simulator (major vertigo in some places), and alien Isolation which made me nauseous. I can play for several hours with no issues on other games. My time has been limited lately, but my Automobilista 2 sessions are typically at least an hour per sitting. For age, I turn 51 in a few months.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Only time I ran into anything even remotely close to that, Don, it's because the framerate wasn't where it was supposed to be. One of the updates screwed up performance, so while it SAID my S was running at 79/80FPS, I used Oculus Mirror and captured it...it wasn't. It was dipping all over the place.

I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling, and it seemed to take care of it. But i'd be curous to know if this was after their recent update specifically. I keep seeing a message on my Oculus software to update, but I haven't done it. Then again, I'm only racing in triple screens lately, so I've got my Rift disconnected.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Maybe try having a fan blowing in your face the next time you try playing a VR game. I get motion sickness quite easily from some VR games and the fan does seem to help quite a bit.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Thanks for the tips. I threw up again last night because I was bound and determined to fight through it. Apparently that does not work for motion sickness. :) These issues are definitely after the most recent Oculus update, so maybe that could be the culprit since it seems to be hitting me on games that I never had a problem with before. However, it had also been a couple months since I had done any heavy VR. So is Oculus Mirror the only way to capture accurate FPS from within the Rift? I have never used it before. Thanks again!

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Mirror wasn't giving me an accurate counter--it was just showing me what my Rift was displaying for me, so I could watch it outside of the headset once recorded.

And it was definitely NOT 80FPS. It was stuttering and dipping (didn't need a FPS counter to see it), and that happened to coincide with what I was feeling "off" in.

I'm sure you could use FRAPS (do people still use that? :lol:) or something, but I could see the dips and stutters with the naked eye when reviewing the video.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Oculus Quest 2

Post by pigpen81 »

My family have had the Oculus Quest 2 for nearly a year and we have used it sparingly.

I downloaded Golf+ this morning while it is on sale and my oh my what a cool game.

For those that like the virtual swing of the old Tiger Woods Wii gold this one more than hits the mark. So many options.

It is challenging but forgiving. I have averaged bogey golf so far.

If anyone has it, let me know. I would love to check out the multiplayer.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Oculus Quest 2

Post by DChaps »

pigpen81 wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:23 pm
My family have had the Oculus Quest 2 for nearly a year and we have used it sparingly.

I downloaded Golf+ this morning while it is on sale and my oh my what a cool game.

For those that like the virtual swing of the old Tiger Woods Wii gold this one more than hits the mark. So many options.

It is challenging but forgiving. I have averaged bogey golf so far.

If anyone has it, let me know. I would love to check out the multiplayer.
Yes, It's really good and they have been continuing to add-on and improve it the last few years. Definitely will be up for trying some multiplayer. Just let me know. Walkabout Mini Golf is also fantastic for multiplayer on Quest 2.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

That would be great. My Quest username is pigpen8113