PES 2014

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

PES 2014

Post by FifaInspected »

Despite not coming to the next gen consoles i'm really liking what i've seen of PES 2014 so far. The Fox engine is looks great and I'm seeing animations and player movement that i've never seen before.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/12/ ... n-the-game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMVLAnYtOsY
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: PES 2014

Post by MizzouRah »

Looks fantastic.. thanks for the link!

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

ball seems to move too slow around the pitch.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

ball seems to move too slow around the pitch....just like my internet :D
Last edited by Jimmydeicide on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Thanks for the link! I know it's early but the frame rate, particularly at the in the tunnel, looks like sh!t.

Still, I'm really interested to see what this new engine is like.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Demo out on 9/11.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

No PC demo unfortunately, and no XBONE or PS4 version. :(

Still excited though, saw some videos/animated gifs on NeoGaf - the new animation system looks great (just hope they can get the framerate right).

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Yes the new fox engine looks real good, the movement of the players looks really good. Excited for the demo.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Yes the new fox engine looks real good, the movement of the players looks really good. Excited for the demo.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Wow thats pretty big 10's. Damn shame. It sounds as if they are pretty defeated right now, maybe they should have kept these feelings under wraps im sure E$A are loving hearing those comments.
Bastards.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

No rain in PES 2014 too...damn
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

First Impressions of the demo -

For the first time in years PES feels and looks different on the pitch. I REALLY like the passing and space to work with. The game seems to promote both buildup as well as attacking styles of play. Getting around defenders was easier for me in 14 than in any previous version. Maybe it's me, maybe it's the fox engine, maybe it's the difficulty.

The engine seems decent and the gameplay is very smooth. Responsiveness seemed lighting quick one moment and then not so much the next. I'm not sure if it's my imagination or something within the engine. Dribbling is improved, particularly the ability to knock the ball forward which I did multiple times when I didn't want to . I saw some pretty cool pushing and shoving animations with guys fighting for possession. Initially I thought the ball physics felt light as my shots were pretty soft and reminded me of PES 2012. My last game saw me net a couple of goals with some decent power on the shots. Shooting is better than 2012, but seems less powerful than 2013.

I really enjoyed the gameplay. I thought the pace was spot on and there was no shortage of organic, "oh my" moments. It felt like soccer.

Based on these early impressions it's looking like another year of buying both.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

VERY early demo impressions, default skill level:

The physics engine for PES remains VERY stiff compared to FIFA. I really miss the body and ball physics of FIFA when playing PES. Nothing Konami has tried has approached the reality of First Touch by EA.

Some legacy problems from PES also remain:

1. Possession is lopsided toward human player.
2. CPU rarely changes its plan of attack.
3. CPU forms Great Wall of China at top of the box, forcing human player to rely on crosses from the wing far too often.

I was pleased to see the developers tighten the midfield defense from the CPU. It was FAR too easy to attack and counterattack through the midfield in PES 2013.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

pk500 wrote: I really miss the body and ball physics of FIFA when playing PES. Nothing Konami has tried has approached the reality of First Touch by EA.
Actually, I think first touch is better in PES but (typical Konami) - it's ridiculously unintuitive and complicated. If you tap R2 as the ball comes in you bring it down under control to either stop it dead or slow it down, if you combine that with a stick flick in a direction you can then take the ball on a sprint, if you press R3 as you control the ball you immediately flick it on and so forth. It was present in last year's PES but again, just overly complicated and not explained well. It provides a little bit more versatility than in FIFA when you can just flick it on ahead of you.

Some other control tips (I stole from PES Forum);
Some of the new skill moves require perfect timing but look superb when pulled off correctly. The Right Stick then Left Stick options are great and vary from player to player at times.

L1 is the new R2 when it comes to that type of close control, Zee And it's better.

If you press Circle for Secondary Pressure twice then hold it now brings two to three players to pressure.

Hold the Right Stick in the direction of a pass or shot blocks it, as does X twice and the relevant direction.

R2 is still the Perfect Trap, and holding R3 for a first touch flick.

Hold the right stick away to shoulder barge when battling for the ball, seems to work in possession as well when dribbling.

Tapping Sprint twice is excellent for moving away quickly and making space just as you receive the pass.

Tapping R2 after a lofted through ball or high pass takes the weight off it beautifully.

Definitely worth checking out the Command List, so many new options.

Also press Select on Player Screen (Formation) to check all the new Player Cards and also all the new Player Stats, too many new ones to mention, especially player stats.

Back to the game for us, enjoy people.

I gotta say I'm underwhelmed, mainly because I can't handle the atrocious frame-rate. It's particularly jarring because some of the animations are fantastic but then they run at 15 frames a second. My understanding is that there will be NO PC demo this year....I'm going to wait for videos of the PC version before springing for this one at launch.

Outside of the frame-rate it's good and an improvement on PES 13 but I guess with a new lead producer and different engine I was expecting more. It's also scandalous that the full game is only going to have 20 stadiums, NO Spanish stadiums, and NO weather effects! Is this 1995?
Last edited by Macca00 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

whoa, wth did they do w/ this game!

Visually it looks like a wannabe FIFA. I liked the previous player models but now they seem like EAs.

The gameplay is hard to tell because the demo stutters. I do like how PES the teams do play different.

I was impressed by last year's demos than this years though.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

wow. I'm pretty sure I was sober when I played the demo yesterday. I noticed no frame rate issues during my 4 brief matches.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

FifaInspected wrote:I'm pretty sure I was sober when I played the demo yesterday.
Denial is usually characteristic in people with alcohol problems.

But seriously, I played the 360 version and thought the framerate was flaming poop - especially when you check out replays and during cut-scenes. Even in gameplay it's still a bit jerky compared to FIFA.

Then again, I'm addicted to pain killers so that's just me. ;)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I'm going to hold out for the PC version. Hopefully it shows up on Steam.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Rodster wrote:I'm going to hold out for the PC version. Hopefully it shows up on Steam.
Same here. I think I read somewhere that this year's version WILL be a Steam release which is nice.

EDIT:

Here!

https://uk.secure.konami-europe.com/lin ... e-on-Steam

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I ended up playing it some more and liking it. I had to deprogram FIFA out of my head to appreciate this game.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Inuyasha wrote:I ended up playing it some more and liking it.
Of this I have no doubt..I didn't hate it...I just wanted to be blown away and I was instead left rather underwhelmed.

Rod,
I just realized - if we get the PC version off Steam we can't mod it* so fuuu ck that. Will be getting it from Gamesplanet or something else.

*unless it's Steamworks compatible and the chances of Konami getting their act together to do that are slim to none

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Eurogvamer gave it a 9/10. Now i'll have to wait for the Steam sale.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I find myself playing the PES 2014 demo far more than the FIFA 14 demo. PES has FAR better AI this year than FIFA.

FIFA's paced has slowed, a welcome change. And its player and ball physics are sharp. But its offensive AI -- both for AI teams and players -- is idiotic. No one ever goes on runs at the proper time. Teams never vary their attack, as most teams just plow up the middle of the field with passes on the deck. For example: How many times do you see AI teams switch field with a cross in its defensive zone or midfield in FIFA? Never. I see it a lot in PES.

PES plays more like real football. FIFA plays like EA's interpretation of football.

It's pretty clear that FIFA is optimized for online play, which is understandable. PES plays better for single-player, a mode I still like in most team sports games.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

My problem with FIFA has never been about playing an accurate or simulating Soccer. It's always about refining past bugs and incremental improvements. As you mentioned with FIFA all the teams play alike, there are never any mid field cross shots. It's just short passes 100% of the time.

Don't get me wrong. FIFA is not the arcade mess it used to be but it has become Soccer's version of Madden. Just do enough to be taken seriously and lack all the ingredients to resemble the real sport.