The Last of Us

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The Last of Us

Post by Danimal »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Danimal wrote:That is odd. I recall it happening thought its one of the things that made the intro stand out to me.
As I watched the video again, I can almost guarantee that didn't happen in my game. It literally looks like your system just reloaded from the beginning for no reason.
Oh crap. I thought you meant the 18:10 mark, I now see what you are seeing at the 22 min mark. Hmm that is odd because the video is not like that. I wonder if youtube did something.

Thanks for pointing it out.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Early on, the game that this reminds me the most of is the underrated and oft overlooked Condemned: Criminal Origins.

Creeping around derelict buildings, your flashlight illuminating piles of garbage, listening for sounds to indicate that that crazy around the corner is going to charge you from out of the shadows and engage you in some fiercely intense hand to hand combat. Good thing you picked up that piece of rebar, because your bullets are woefully limited...

VERY similar, imo, although the improvements in graphics are obvious, and the environment factors into combat much more often.

There's more sneaking around and past enemies in this one though, so yes, those that abhor that stealthy sort of game-play should probably give this one a pass.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

I didn't really play that much of condemned, but yes, I have often thought to myself that in a lot of ways this is a fuller evolution of that game's concept.

This game is amazing. It gets so much better to me as I go further. I cannot remember a game that gave me the kind of tense, edge of my seat feeling with nearly every encounter. I feel like I've got a really good handle on how to play, and still I get my ass kicked from time to time. And sometimes things get all fubar and yet somehow I survive by the skin of my teeth.

And the pacing continues to impress me. It really is phenomenally well crafted from top to bottom.

Oh yeah - and I now remember some previous games that had no load times - Uncharted! Of course! Those games, like this one, provide that remarkable smoothness of never jumping you out for more than half a second even for a cut scene, and never forcing you to sit and stare at a load screen once you have begun playing.

The acting keeps being awesome as well. The guy who plays Joel is fantastic.

This is one hell of a fantastic game. Amazing.
Last edited by Zeppo on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I've gotten just past the first story twist (being vague here) which anyone will see coming. What's really drawn me in is the voice acting, it's so spot on and not dumbed down. This is like watching an R movie and the language is always appropriate for the situation and not their for shock effect )hello far cry 3).

The longer I play the more engaged I become with the game.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

I like the game, but the levels w/o any infected are WAY better. I wish they left that out of the game and just had you fighting through cities where society had totally broken down.

So sick of zombies in games.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I keep hedging on getting this one. From all reports it sounds great. I keep saying make this your last PS3 purchase but then something pulls me back. Oh well, maybe I'll pull the trigger eventually.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Diablo25 wrote:I keep hedging on getting this one. From all reports it sounds great. I keep saying make this your last PS3 purchase but then something pulls me back. Oh well, maybe I'll pull the trigger eventually.
Don't wait too long. You simply must experience this game. I finally got my feet wet with the game yesterday after sitting in my collection desk for a week due to just a lack of time.

The audio quality is without question perfectly synchronized in both speech and song complimenting every scene. The dialogue between Joel and Ellie is unmatched with every line of dialogue never sounding out of place or sounding clichéd. My daughter who shouldn't be watching me play this game is attached to the story and simple winces away when I encounter a zombie but for her is like watching a movie where daddy is controlling the characters but the story is just so engaging.

And I just started with the game.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Since I completed the single player, I've been trying my hand at the MP and I have to say, it's pretty good! The limited ammo and close-to one-shot-kill dynamic makes for a much more tense, tactical game than most shooters. It has sort of a counter strike tng going on, where each game is a best-of-seven rounds and as the rounds progress you can buy more ammo, upgrade your weapons a little bit, buy some armor. etc. The mechanics are basically the same as the single player, with some crafting for grenades and health packs and so on, but supplies for these are extremely limited.

The meta-game is a nice little addition, too. It doesn't so much come into play in the actual rounds, but it gives a little bit of incentive to play and to try different things as you set specific personal missions for yourself. You do unlock some overall stuff as you play, but so far I haven't seen that that is a big advantage. For example, I don't have the bow available for my custom load outs yet, but I can still select a stock "stealth" load out that does have the bow.

It's purely four on four, so it would be ideal for some private DSP gaming. I'm sure three on three would work really well. After a couple of very frustrating rounds of not getting the hang of it at all, I finally starting sticking closer to my teammates and having much more success (probably had some better teammates on my side I those games, too :D )

Anyway, it's not amazing enough to be the main reason to buy the game, but it is pretty cool and is certainly unique enough to warrant a try.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Finished this 2 nights ago.....

.....wow......just......wow.....

What an incredible videogame experience and that ending....absolutely brilliant and so against the grain.

Once again my hat is off to Naughty Dog.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I am still getting my chills late at night playing this game. Damn clickers.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I managed to finally finish the game today. A must own for PS3 players, one of those games that will be in my GOTY list. There's just an emotional attachment to the characters second to none, you just watch the acting as if it was a movie, well spoken and none of the cheap cliches. Everything was surrounded by a visually memorable ambiance. The tension in the story is quite grappling while trying to fend off infected zombies and damn clickers. Love doing it whenever possible in a stealthy way. Love the music in the end. Loved the story.

Well done ND.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

10spro wrote:I am still getting my chills late at night playing this game. Damn clickers.
I just started playing and it's the most intense game I've played since Silent Hill. Just a sense that there can be something dreadful around the corner, and the audio really ups the tension.

My only complaint so far are that the controls do feel sluggish like Resident Evil. After playing Tomb Raider, it really feels like you can't react very quickly.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

I loved this game.

Review (spoiler free) I wrote around the time it came out;

http://maximumpixelation.com/2013/07/12 ... s3-review/

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

What an amazing gaming experience this was. I am floored by the ending and the emotional intensity that went with it. One of the greatest games I have ever played.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Brando70 wrote:What an amazing gaming experience this was. I am floored by the ending and the emotional intensity that went with it. One of the greatest games I have ever played.
Word. Absolutely incredible stuff. That ending is....something special. I just sat there with the controller in my hands, a million things swirling around my mind.

Spoilers:

That giraffe scene in Utah is one of my favorite videogame moments ever. So perfectly paced after the madness before and just really touching.

I thought the chapter in Winter really took the game to the next level. I can't believe that creepy bastard David was voiced by Nolan North - what a great performance!

I'd like a sequel set in the same world but not with the same characters, I'd hate for them to go revisit Joel and Ellie's story.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

For me this game is GOTY stuff.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I agree about GOTY and maybe game of this generation.

It was interesting to play this right after I played Tomb Raider. I really enjoyed TR, but it was so clearly a game -- ammo everywhere, level construction that, while cool, was often completely illogical, etc. I had also played Mass Effect 2 and 3 beforehand, and while the story is also strong in that game, the open world aspect makes it very gamey as well (I'll get to those pesky Reapers right after I help this urchin on the Citadel).

TLoU is very linear, but I think that's why it avoids a lot of the suspension of tension other more open games have. The world was very fleshed out. Things were very bleak throughout, which made any moment of beauty or levity stand out that much more. Exploration was essential to the game because supplies were so scarce. All the characters were so fleshed out. And it had such a powerful, daring ending, both in terms of narrative and how it arrived there. It isn't the most inventive game or the most fun, but I don't think there's another game I have ever cared about as much as this one.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Brando70 wrote:I agree about GOTY and maybe game of this generation.

It was interesting to play this right after I played Tomb Raider. I really enjoyed TR, but it was so clearly a game -- ammo everywhere, level construction that, while cool, was often completely illogical, etc. I had also played Mass Effect 2 and 3 beforehand, and while the story is also strong in that game, the open world aspect makes it very gamey as well (I'll get to those pesky Reapers right after I help this urchin on the Citadel).

TLoU is very linear, but I think that's why it avoids a lot of the suspension of tension other more open games have. The world was very fleshed out. Things were very bleak throughout, which made any moment of beauty or levity stand out that much more. Exploration was essential to the game because supplies were so scarce. All the characters were so fleshed out. And it had such a powerful, daring ending, both in terms of narrative and how it arrived there. It isn't the most inventive game or the most fun, but I don't think there's another game I have ever cared about as much as this one.
Not only the narrative was excellent but there was just something so special about the characters that made me feel like a family member. I just wanted to really see how far the relation between Joel and Ellie would go. Was Joel as fed up as he seemed to be with her? At times, my kid was telling me that she was watching a movie instead.

Not only were the supplies in low demand but if I recall (I finished the game 2 months ago) the pistol took a bit to kill someone and was useless against the clickers. You just had to know which weapon to use smartly depending on the circumstances.

And not much has been mentioned about the MP aspect of the game which is also amazing. Played only a couple of rounds with randoms and it was a lot of fun. Communication, a must. You get a DSP foursome and you got a nice poker night to remember.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

10spro wrote: And not much has been mentioned about the MP aspect of the game which is also amazing. Played only a couple of rounds with randoms and it was a lot of fun. Communication, a must. You get a DSP foursome and you got a nice poker night to remember.
This.

I played a fair amount of it for about a week and once I started to get the hang of it I had a heck of a lot of fun. It's pretty unusual and very well set up. It's only four v four, so private DSP matches would be a blast. I'd be willing to make a go of it sometime, but something tells me with GTA V out there's not too much chance of it happening.

Brando, your statements are perfectly in line with how I feel and you've said it better than I ever could. And more succinctly. I loved this game, it may be my favorite overall video game experience, ever. The gameplay isn't what makes me say that, although I did enjoy it, but rather the combination of all the elements and the level of polish and pacing were so exemplary that the whole package had an impact on me like no game I can remember. It's the characters, really, at the heart of it. But the atmosphere, the environments, the music, everything worked together to fully engage me in the experience and take me on an emotional journey that I really enjoyed.

It's not an RPG, where you get to decide what your character does, or you get to make big choices or decisions. You do what the story is telling you you must do. That moment in the final segment, well I don't want to spoil anything, but let's just say the surgeon and leave it at that, I stood there for minutes staring at the screen wishing I could figure out a way not to do what the game was clearly indicating I had to do. Didn't much enjoy doing it. But it had a big impact on me in a way very very few games ever had, much more like the jaw dropping moments from films or TV (say, the red wedding in GoT for example) than the kind of stuff we are used to in games.

I don't really want to see a sequel, although if there were one I would prefer it be completely different characters with maybe a nice cameo or two. But I really want to see this Naughty Dog team do more games along these lines of storytelling. They have got the mastery and the skills.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Well put, Zeppo. I agree about how it's the sum of everything that made The Last of Us so great. It's really an experience more than just a game. It is definitely one of the best games I have ever played.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

DLC coming early next year, a new single-player mission for Ellie that takes place before her time with Joel in the main game:

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Left Behind DLC is out. I have to re-buy the game first. It was my favorite GoY.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/13/540674 ... il-the-end

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Will this game ever be an online download and playable on ps4?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

fletcher21 wrote:Will this game ever be an online download and playable on ps4?
There's talk of it being part of Playstation Now (backwards compatibility) when it launches someday.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

That would be nice. As luck my have it, my ps3 broke before I was able to experience the game. Now I am kind of sol since I don't want to buy another ps3 for just 1 game.