The Last of Us

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

The Last of Us

Post by sportdan30 »

From everything I've read and the videos I've watched, this is shaping up to be be Sony's best exclusive game on the PS3. Which is saying a lot when you think of Uncharted. Can't wait to pick up this game next week!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/05/ ... -us-review

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The Last of Us

Post by vinny-b »

Dan, i believe Naughty Dog lost me, with addition of zombie's etc. Would've preferred a realistic approach to a new survival vidgame IP.

however for the masses, this really does look like a title that won't disappoint.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I am really looking forward to playing it. I need to finish a couple other games first, but from everything I've seen and read, it looks phenomenal.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

I've read and browsed a number of reviews, and I can't remember a game that has been so universally highly praised. Not to mention, I can't remember a game where reviews were all over the place more than a week before the game's release. That takes confidence and guts from the publisher.

I find this final paragraph from the review at Edge Online pretty fascinating:
The Last Of Us strips away the geek-centric fan service so commonplace in contemporary games. For every highbrow idea explored, developers seem compelled to throw in a lowbrow one to counterbalance it. The Last Of Us resists such compromises, and does so without disappearing up its own backside. Naughty Dog has delivered the most riveting, emotionally resonant story-driven epic of this console generation. At times it’s easy to feel like big-budget development has too much on the line to allow stubbornly artful ideas to flourish, but then a game like The Last Of Us emerges through the crumbled blacktop like a climbing vine, green as a burnished emerald.
I can't wait to jump in.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I too have seen some 7/10, 8/10 and think the game is over hyped, and then you see video reviews like IGN's, Adam Sessler's, and have read even Forbes Magazine salivating over this game, and again I'm become very interested. I'm kind of surprised they didn't wait and have this as a launch title on the PS4, but I'm not complaining.

I'm not a big zombie fan either, but the presentation and atmoshphere just look outstanding. This game is very violent, which might be a little over the top for me.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

If anyone is curious I will have a video up tonight with the 1st 30 minutes of game play.

I never had a game suck me into the story so fast.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Who else is playing? I have to say the cinematic story telling of the introduction of the game is fantastic, absolutely amazing. If you are interested in playing this game yourself, do yourself a favor and skip Dan's video!! You owe it to yourself to experience the beginning for yourself, with you holding the controller.

After the first hour and a half or so of the game, I was a bit underwhelmed and disappointed in the gameplay. I wasn't really feeling it, was a bit lost at sea really, and felt "is that all this is going to be?" The adventure side of it was very engaging, though. But then at some point (trying to keep from spoiling anything, I will say "under the golden dome"), it really clicked. It made sense. I was really having tense, heart-pounding fun in the combat/stealth action at the heart of the gameplay, and now I'm really digging it and can't wait for more.

The gameplay reminds me a little of Metal Gear to be honest. I haven't played any version of that series since way back in the PS2 days, but if you've seen the gameplay video from a few weeks ago, maybe you see what I mean. It's all about sneaking around, avoiding being detected, and sneaking up and picking off the enemies one by one by getting them isolated, or better yet just avoiding them and sneaking by.

The craftsmanship in this game is through the roof. The pacing so far is spot on. The characters are incredibly well drawn from a performance / writing perspective. I am so fully invested it's ridiculous. No one does dramatic scenes in video games anywhere nearly as well as Naughty Dog. The visuals are just short of stunning. The controls and the movement are smooth and satisfying. Really, really exemplary game making.

In anticipation of this game, I was getting all "naughty dogged up" and jumped back into the original Uncharted. What a great game that is! The visuals do seem a tad bit crude in comparison to what is being produced on the PS3 these days, but outside of some frustrating combat, it's just such a damn fun adventure and unlike anything else. This is no Uncharted. It's decidedly dark and brooding, sad, creepy, scary, unsettling.

It's a very adult game, made for adults. I haven't played anything like it, and it really stands out to me, at least so far, as a high mark of emotionally engaging and deeply involving narrative in video games. Fantastic.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Thanks Zepp you just saved me 60 bones... f***in hate sneaking around games.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Jimmydeicide wrote:Thanks Zepp you just saved me 60 bones... f***in hate sneaking around games.
Haha...me too. So I rented it.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

There's apparently an auto save glitch. Can basically lose all your progress when you think it's saved and have to restart from the beginning.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

sportdan30 wrote:There's apparently an auto save glitch. Can basically lose all your progress when you think it's saved and have to restart from the beginning.
Everything I am seeing now on the web is that the issue has been resolved. It was a server side issue and they have fixed it, no patch needed.

No one would ever have lost an entire game save, in any case. I myself lost about a half hour because the autosave glitch kicked in. Normally, you'd see the last checkpoint being "less than one minute" or maybe "four minutes ago." I haven't seen it be any longer than that. Anyway when the glitch happens, instead you'd see "autosaving, please wait" or some such, and you'd see that perpetually. If you see that, just quit the game (which would restart the PS3) and then reboot and just go back in. Any progress since the glitch kicked it wouldn't have been saved, but at no time would the whole save game be destroyed.

Anyway, as I said I poked around the google just now and it appears the glitch had been remedied. Even if it weren't, if one just quickly checked from time to time to make sure the "autosaving, please wait" wasn't there, you wouldn't lose much if anything.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Zeppo wrote: In anticipation of this game, I was getting all "naughty dogged up" and jumped back into the original Uncharted. What a great game that is! The visuals do seem a tad bit crude in comparison to what is being produced on the PS3 these days, but outside of some frustrating combat, it's just such a damn fun adventure and unlike anything else.
Great minds...I started playing Uncharted 2 again and that reconfirmed its status, in my mind at least, as one of the best games of this generation.

I picked up Last of Us, looking forward to playing it.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Damn, I am intrigued now. Loved Nathan Drake and all the 3 Uncharted games. If this game has the typical prints of Naughty Dog meet 'Left 4 Dead' and story line of 'Bioshock Infinite', I may have to visit my near game store this weekend.

Any co- op action?

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Zeppo wrote: I have to say the cinematic story telling of the introduction of the game is fantastic, absolutely amazing. You owe it to yourself to experience the beginning for yourself, with you holding the controller.

That intro....oh my god.....incredible stuff.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

I just met Bill. This game is awesome!

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I made this for my website but in case anyone is interested.

This is the inro mentioned above so watch at your own risk.
Follow Me on:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Whoa that intro.

And Naughty Dog still needs to revamp their control scheme. It seems to have gotten worse and worse with every game they've produced. So damn clunky.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

And BTW Dan, your video is jacked up. About halfway through it starts over. Just after the Last of Us title pops up.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

dbdynsty25 wrote:And BTW Dan, your video is jacked up. About halfway through it starts over. Just after the Last of Us title pops up.
Actually there is nothign wrong with the video that is what the game does. You play the intro and then bam Logo screen, loading screen and start playing again. I actually edited a lot of the loading screen out of the video. This game has long load times.
Follow Me on:

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Danimal wrote: This game has long load times.
Funny you should say that. I was just remarking to myself while playing today how this is the first game I can think of where there are no load screens at all. I mean none. Outside of the initial load when you start up the game, which for me has often been very short after the first one at the start, once I am playing the game I haven't noticed one single time when I've had to sit and wait through a loading screen as I move from area to area. It's not the kind of thing you necessarily notice by its absence, and maybe I'm just not remembering something, but honestly, I don't think I've seen any load screens once I'm playing the game.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Rented the game from Red Box. First off, the presentation and cinematic experience is absolutely amazing. The visuals and detail is nothing short of incredible. I can certainly see why this game has received perfect scores. Naughty Dog has another smash hit.

With that said, I've never been fond of zombie games. And unfortunately, this is no different. I can't seem to push myself to play past the two hour mark. I also agree with Db in that the controls are a bit too clunky in some areas.

Thinking Tomb Raider might be more of what I'm looking for....

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Zeppo wrote:
Danimal wrote: This game has long load times.
Funny you should say that. I was just remarking to myself while playing today how this is the first game I can think of where there are no load screens at all. I mean none. Outside of the initial load when you start up the game, which for me has often been very short after the first one at the start, once I am playing the game I haven't noticed one single time when I've had to sit and wait through a loading screen as I move from area to area. It's not the kind of thing you necessarily notice by its absence, and maybe I'm just not remembering something, but honestly, I don't think I've seen any load screens once I'm playing the game.
You're right of course. I mean initial load times. Once you start playing its fine and no loads. That first one though takes some time.
Follow Me on:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Danimal wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:And BTW Dan, your video is jacked up. About halfway through it starts over. Just after the Last of Us title pops up.
Actually there is nothign wrong with the video that is what the game does. You play the intro and then bam Logo screen, loading screen and start playing again. I actually edited a lot of the loading screen out of the video. This game has long load times.
I played much further than that and I do not remember that at all. Hmmm.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Danimal wrote:
I played much further than that and I do not remember that at all. Hmmm.
That is odd. I recall it happening thought its one of the things that made the intro stand out to me.
Follow Me on:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Danimal wrote:That is odd. I recall it happening thought its one of the things that made the intro stand out to me.
As I watched the video again, I can almost guarantee that didn't happen in my game. It literally looks like your system just reloaded from the beginning for no reason.