PES 2013 vs. FIFA 13

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

PES 2013 vs. FIFA 13

Post by pk500 »

Fellas:

I know this is risky, but I wanted to start a hopefully civil and flame-free thread in which people post their comparisons of the new editions of FIFA and PES, based both on the demo and retail versions. I think this thread is important because soccer is one of the few team sports genres with true competition across multiple platforms.

The idea is a one-stop shop for quick comparisons of the two games so people don't have to wade through two long threads. More detailed dissections of each game or non-gameplay discussion should stay in the respective game threads.

My single-player gameplay impressions, based on the 360 demos:

PES 2013
+ Organic gameplay. Doesn't feel scripted.
+ Excellent offensive buildup through the midfield.
+ Right stick provides great control with ball on foot.
+ Superb AI for CPU-controlled teammates on offense. Good runs.
+ Nice variety of CPU offensive strategies. Some teams run the wings and cross into the box. Some go directly up the middle.
+ Star players are dominant for CPU teams. You must adjust your defense to blunt them.
- Shooting mechanism is improved over 2012 but still awkward compared to FIFA.
- It's far too easy to steal ball from CPU. Lunge tackle (A button) is far too effective.
- Poor CPU AI defense through the midfield and in the box. It's easy to move the ball through the midfield and in the box without too much of a challenge from CPU defenders, who stand and watch many passes instead of intercepting. Combine this with over-effectiveness of lunge tackle, and it's easy for human player to generate unrealistic possession statistics. A 60-40 or greater split favoring the human player in possession is common.

FIFA 13
+ First Touch control is very cool.
+ Improved AI for CPU-controlled teammates on offense. Good runs.
+ Very improved CPU AI defense through the midfield and in the box. CPU players intercept lazy passes into the midfield and the box and will defend more aggressively the closer you approach or penetrate the box.
+ Much more realistic possession statistics than PES 2013 due to better AI defending.
+ Shooting mechanism still more intuitive than PES 2013.
- Very little variety of CPU offensive strategies.
- Gameplay still not very organic. You don't get that "anything can happen" feeling.
- No offensive buildup through the midfield. Games are track meets or hockey on grass.

Your thoughts? Impressions? Please indicate your platform and whether your impressions are based on the demo, retail version or both. Thanks.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: PES 2013 vs. FIFA 13

Post by Rodster »

Still waiting on my copy to show up for the Vita. Is "first touch" any different than what they did back in FIFA 2005?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I agree with most of PK's assessment after playing both full games since Friday (360 version of Fifa and PC version of PES). I'm having a hard time putting my thoughts into words, but in short, I'm glad I've got both games.

If I could only have one game and only had a console, I'd definitely pick Fifa for a variety of reasons.

Better graphics and fully licensed without having to mod the hell out of it
Better interaction amongst players such as collisions, shielding and positioning
Better shooting mechanic (tho this one is pretty close)
Way more modes and "live updates" such as games of the day, real fixtures, etc. (this is BIG)

Of course, the "anything can happen" mechanic that PES is known for gap is getting closer and closer each year without Fifa fully catching them so there is always that aspect to take into account. It's funny, the other night after a few pops I had some crazy scrum in front of the net and ultimately clanged one off of the crossbar and I said to myself "damn, you'll never see that in Fifa"...the only problem was that I WAS playing Fifa. Yeah...had to double take that, but it is getting significantly better with regards to the organic feel PES is known for. Obviously the game speed and setting up your attack is a lot more believable in PES, so there is always that.

So there are a couple "ifs" that would make me pick a particular game.

If I only had a PC, I'd definitely go PES (well, because there isn't a Fifa anyway, but the choice is still the same even if there was)
If I had both a PC and a console I'd get Fifa on the console and PES on the PC (this is my configuration)
If I only had a console I'd go Fifa just because it's THAT much improved over last year

ZXLT
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by ZXLT »

I'm still having trouble making up my mind.

FIFA has no midrange buildup, but the defense in the midfield and last third seems fairly strong.

PES has a beautiful midrange buildup, but the CPU defense is so terrible it perhaps ruins it.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

I don't know if I would call the AI in FIFA for the final two thirds anywhere near good.

The midfield play is a placebo. Mostly because the defense AI just sits back leaving the midfield open. In the final third it's still too stale. I think the defense plays too rigidly and that means that all the defenses seem to play like a Stoke City away game. They just pack it in. Knowing when they clear, the ball will seeming go to one of their players.

FIFA is very stale to me.

As for shooting. The realistic shooting feel is kind wasted because of the times that shoots can't get through the backlines. It was in the old FIFA. That and the CPU rarely shoots from outside the box. It's better but not like you see in the real games or PES.

PES won me over with the DEMO. My only concern is that possession is so easy. But I'm bored with FIFA. And I do not want to mess with sliders.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I found the pace of the game for PES on the PS3, just right for me. Even on slow Fifa is a bit quick, and the couple of online games that I had it felt more like a tic tac toe game. In PES, there's a nice variety of goals as the CPU seems to build up plays better, switching sides by using the long ball, back passing etc.

There's definitely more tactical changes on the go. There's that random midfield battle for ball possession while in Fifa it's pretty much a north-south affair looking for that space where you can look for the perfect shot, which when it's connected properly its' beautiful to watch. Online in Fifa, people just love to run down the flanks and cross the ball for the perfect header. Many times it works perfectly but it's just too predictable, whereas PES always has a unique feel to every match.

EA's product just lacks that variety when it comes to the actual match.

Now, when I score in Fifa on all manual controls, it's a great feeling. In PES, with the often random shot aim, it doesn't always get me as excited. Fifa controls are more fluid and generic IMO. While the shooting has improved for PES, I much prefer the feel of scoring a goal in Fifa.

There's modes galore in Fifa that would satisfy the most casual gamer and like I posted before EA knows that there's something in there for an audience of any age group choosing it to be more arcadey if you will. The key here is to use strictly manual controls, a few sliders adjustments it's a damn fun game. Speaking of modes, the 'Become a Legend' mode in PES, rocks, while career mode in Fifa is quite deep.

EA of course has that all important license and with it, it'll attract a large audience on FUT, a mode that I played to death in 12 and looks like I will be again in 13. PES fans need not despair as the OF will arrive regularly.

Finally, I am glad to say that the retail game slow down the for PES is not on the PS3 and the season pass version of Fifa is very responsive as well.

In the end, I got the best of both worlds. I will play Fifa online and FUT, and PES for offline matches. Both games are fine products in its own rights, just figure which mode you'll plan to play more often.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

ZXLT wrote:I'm still having trouble making up my mind.

FIFA has no midrange buildup, but the defense in the midfield and last third seems fairly strong.

PES has a beautiful midrange buildup, but the CPU defense is so terrible it perhaps ruins it.
Bingo. I'm sailing in the same dinghy as you, man.

I don't think I'll get either game until the Black Friday deals sprout, as my team sports jones still is satisfied by Madden 13 and NHL 13. But once that time rolls around, I'll probably still be confused. :)

Very good impressions in here so far, boys. Keep it going. Thanks.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

ZXLT
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by ZXLT »

pk500 wrote:
ZXLT wrote:I'm still having trouble making up my mind.

Bingo. I'm sailing in the same dinghy as you, man.

I don't think I'll get either game until the Black Friday deals sprout, as my team sports jones still is satisfied by Madden 13 and NHL 13. But once that time rolls around, I'll probably still be confused. :)

Very good impressions in here so far, boys. Keep it going. Thanks.
I keep switching back and forth between the two demos and changing my mind as to which game I'm getting.

My main challenge is that each game highlights the other's flaws.

When I'm playing PES, I can't help but notice how the defenders and midfielders constantly retreat as the attackers advance the ball.

And when I have FIFA in, it's impossible not to be frustrated by the AI's insistence on attacking straight up the field every time they gain possession.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

I think 10 nailed it...

FIFA: online
PES: off

FIFA's career mode is pretty deep.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Great impressions.. I haven't bought one yet. Was fully 100% PES, but the FIFA talk is drawing me in. :)

ZXLT
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by ZXLT »

I just drove to Gamestop and paid for FIFA in full. I might head back in a few hours to pick it up at midnight.

I prefer PES's style of play, but there were two things that killed it for me:

1.) The lack of midfield defense. I shouldn't be able to out-possess Barca 60-40 every game.

2.) Maybe it's just me, but on higher difficulties in PES, the AI plays almost as uptempo as FIFA typically does. The AI build-up play is pretty good on the lower difficulties, but that seems to go away for me once I raise it.

I slightly prefer playing PES right now, but I think part of the reason for that is that I suck at FIFA. If I got better at it, I'd enjoy it a lot more.

I haven't played a soccer game since FIFA 98: Road to the World Cup. Still, I'm able to beat the AI on the top difficulty in PES. Meanwhile, I get smoked on higher difficulties in FIFA.

The extra modes and online features sealed the deal for me.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

I don't think you can go wrong with either game - both are so good right now that it really is a matter of personal preference. I'm a football whore so I'm getting both but I think 10s summary of PES for offline and FIFA for online holds.

For me, I love the build up play and off the ball movement in PES 2013. I also just love the difference in how different players control. I've been playing the PC version since Friday and am playing a Copa Libertadores season with Nacional and have old-man Recoba (who was a mainstay of my Master League teams in the PS2 Winning Eleven games - remember how f***in good he was?!) running the show just playing off the front two - he still has a killer left foot and his close control is head and shoulders above the rest of the team but he's slow as cold molasses now and if you run with him he'll get gassed by half time. FIFA has made great strides in how different players 'feel' when you control them but it's still not as good as PES.

I think one big issue in PES 2013 that the user 'Pass Assistance' is by default set too high - if you move it to one bar or zero and play on the 'Top Player' difficulty it's a really enjoyable game - particularly if you're playing with mediocre teams. I still find I have more possession than the CPU but it's not crazy (I just played Nacional vs. Chivas and it was 51% vs 49% possession).

I've only played the FIFA 13 demo (I didn't re-up for the Season Pass this year) but I really enjoyed it even against the CPU. The main reason I'm getting it is for the online (Rob, I'll be reporting for duty tomorrow evening - fat and out of shape like Charlie Adam) but the daily challenges against the CPU in FIFA 12 were a ton of fun and those training mini-games look as addictive as crack.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Macca00 wrote:I've only played the FIFA 13 demo (I didn't re-up for the Season Pass this year) but I really enjoyed it even against the CPU. The main reason I'm getting it is for the online (Rob, I'll be reporting for duty tomorrow evening - fat and out of shape like Charlie Adam) but the daily challenges against the CPU in FIFA 12 were a ton of fun and those training mini-games look as addictive as crack.
Not as easy as it sounds, at times you'll scratch your head but yes you do want more of those mini games...Just don't press start as I keep doing if you want to rinse and wash again a particular drill.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

10spro wrote:
Macca00 wrote:I've only played the FIFA 13 demo (I didn't re-up for the Season Pass this year) but I really enjoyed it even against the CPU. The main reason I'm getting it is for the online (Rob, I'll be reporting for duty tomorrow evening - fat and out of shape like Charlie Adam) but the daily challenges against the CPU in FIFA 12 were a ton of fun and those training mini-games look as addictive as crack.
Not as easy as it sounds, at times you'll scratch your head but yes you do want more of those mini games...Just don't press start as I keep doing if you want to rinse and wash again a particular drill.
Looking forward to checking them out.

Back to PES for a sec - what level are you guys playing at and smoking the CPU? I just lost 3 in a row and crashed out of the Copa with Nacional on Top Player (with passing assist down to 1 bar). Three really tough games.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Macca00 wrote:
10spro wrote:

Back to PES for a sec - what level are you guys playing at and smoking the CPU? I just lost 3 in a row and crashed out of the Copa with Nacional on Top Player (with passing assist down to 1 bar). Three really tough games.
On Pro level but playing Boca only so far at the Libertadores, I won only one match out of 3. Playing on the PS3.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

JRod wrote:I think 10 nailed it...

FIFA: online
PES: off

FIFA's career mode is pretty deep.
For my money, given that no offline mode can hold a candle to Online Clubs and Ultimate Team there's not really even a competition.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

Macca00 wrote:
10spro wrote:

I'm playing Top Player and having a heck of a time - no wins in 6 games. However I'm playing ML with PES United who might have a tough time beating my real over 35 team. I'm not seeing too many defensive issues from the AI and mid-field can be extremely tough going. Really enjoying the game - not sure if I'll get Fifa though it's great that there are two really good footsie games.

Now in my season I've called up two youth players - there's a fairly decent striker and keeper. The default Russian keeper appears to be rooted to hois spot with stakes - was doing well in one game before he put in an absolute shower of a second half. I'm playing a 442 because I don't dare play any less than 4 at the back.

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I'm struggling with which game I prefer. I might go the Pk route and wait for a deal. Soccer isn't a seasonal game for me. Because I don't follow the sport very closely, it doesn't matter if I play it now, in the winter, or next spring. More than likely, once NBA 2K13 drops, I'll be playing that and all other games will be shelved for the immediate future.

Fifa

+ Love the atmosphere, presentation, commentary, Game Day, sideline reporter, etc.
+ The game plays out like a tv broadcast.
+ The training games are highly addicting and challenging. It's a game in of itself.
+ I like that myself, my son, or a friend who comes over can easily pick up and play the game without much instruction.
+ The intelligence on the offensive side of the ball has improved. Love that my teamates will call for a through pass. More times than not, they are in good position for a rebound or interception.
+ The menus are clean and seamless. Everything is set up so nicely and professionally.
+ Based on real life happenings, teams will go up and down.
+ Passing the ball around the pitch is enjoyable and very responsive.
+ The animations and physics have improved and look life like.
+ Defensively, the CPU is very good once you get in the box.
- I now understand about the lack of mid field play.
- In general, the CPU attacks through the middle with the ocassional cross or kick.
- It's too easy to sprint up the field on semi pro and pro, until reaching the box.
- Goalies seem to be robotic and from what I can tell, there is not a lot of difference between them in terms of skill.
- The CPU tends to be a bit too precise with their passes. Very similar to NHL 13.
- My defenders tend to allow the CPU to get off an uncontested shot too often when in the box.
- Gamplay is a tad too fast.
- Teams will continue to attack with a lead.
- It's hard for a novice soccer fan such as myself to tell the difference between the skill players. Compared to such games as the NBA 2K series and NHL 13.

PES 13 demo:
+ The CPU builds an offensive attack, and will pass back.
+ The CPU will attempt the ocassional long pass to try and create something.
+ The oomph of the kicks sound great and realistic.
+ Enjoy the midfield battles.
+ The CPU will make mistakes with passes and in general, give an overall organic feeling.
+ Player differentiation is noticeable.
+ Goalies seem almost human like with their approach.
- The CPU tends to go for the through pass a little more frequently than I'd like to see them.
- While the game replicates the game of soccer moreso than Fifa, the CPU almost seems like it's either not trying at times or it's holding your hand with regards to keeping the game close. Hard to explain.
- The menus and interface are horrific. They seriously have not seemed to have changed in years.
- There's a bit of blandness to the game because of the ugliness of the screens and interface.
- Commentary is a very weak part of the game. I've watched many videos of the full games and it just doesn't have the excitement of Fifa.
- The CPU will continue to attack with a lead.
- Controls for a newbie are overwhelming. The training modules are boring and don't clearly instruct you how to do a certain skill.
- The player animations after playing Fifa are quite robotic and stiff.

ZXLT
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by ZXLT »

I'm having a really hard time with FIFA.

For some reason, I'm just terrible at this game. I don't seem to have any knack for either attacking or defending.

I'm feeling frustrated and questioning why I got this over PES, whose demo I was naturally good at.

I'm trying to play my way through this, but I'm feeling discouraged because this game is supposedly really easy to play.

Considering eating the $15 or so and trading it in for PES.

Sigh.

ZXLT
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by ZXLT »

ZXLT wrote:I'm having a really hard time with FIFA.

For some reason, I'm just terrible at this game. I don't seem to have any knack for either attacking or defending.

I'm feeling frustrated and questioning why I got this over PES, whose demo I was naturally good at.

I'm trying to play my way through this, but I'm feeling discouraged because this game is supposedly really easy to play.

Sigh.
FIFA is growing on me the more I play. Learning to defend better has forced the AI to build up more in order to create opportunities. Lowering the game speed to slow has helped too.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

ZXLT wrote:
ZXLT wrote:I'm having a really hard time with FIFA.

Sigh.
FIFA is growing on me the more I play. Learning to defend better has forced the AI to build up more in order to create opportunities. Lowering the game speed to slow has helped too.
I too struggled with Fifa when i first started playing the series. Actually, I think I gave up on Fifa 11 too early. I quite enjoyed Fifa 12 but also wasn't very good at it. For whatever reason, Fifa 13 clicked for me. It took a handful of games, but I started understand the intricacies of defending. And while the CPU doesn't necessarily build an attack offensively, I would take my time and finally get some decent shots on goal.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Bogger from WSJ compares the two games:

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/09/ ... uggernaut/

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Spent an hour with FIFA - wow. I think db mentioned it in the other thread but the full version seems even better than the demo. Gameplay-wise it's a lot sharper, I'm still getting used to the transition from PES controls but it's a ton of fun. I still don't think the build up play and the 'feel' of individual players is as good as PES but it's still a crapload of fun. The feature-set and presentation is absolutely incredible though, after several days of PES it's bloody night and day. I played a featured 'Game of the Week' match re-creating the recent match between Liverpool and United at Anfield, early kick-off and the commentators talked about Lucas being injured.* It's amazing stuff.

I'm already addicted to the mini-games. :)

* It's not perfectly accurate though -while they had the Liverpool starting line-up right, they had Vidic and De Gea both playing and the referee wasn't a f***in piece of garbage. ;) Still light years ahead of anything Konami has done.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Macca00 wrote:Spent an hour with FIFA - wow. I think db mentioned it in the other thread but the full version seems even better than the demo. Gameplay-wise it's a lot sharper, I'm still getting used to the transition from PES controls but it's a ton of fun. I still don't think the build up play and the 'feel' of individual players is as good as PES but it's still a crapload of fun. The feature-set and presentation is absolutely incredible though, after several days of PES it's bloody night and day. I played a featured 'Game of the Week' match re-creating the recent match between Liverpool and United at Anfield, early kick-off and the commentators talked about Lucas being injured.* It's amazing stuff.

I'm already addicted to the mini-games. :)

* It's not perfectly accurate though -while they had the Liverpool starting line-up right, they had Vidic and De Gea both playing and the referee wasn't a f***in piece of garbage. ;) Still light years ahead of anything Konami has done.
Yup, there you have it. The amount of different game modes this year is the thing that makes this a must have for me. I have not even touched season or career mode yet because off all the other modes. I absolutely love the Live Fixtures, Games of the Week, and EA Sports FC Challenge. I can see a real game on Saturday, and then play that game on my console with almost everything being copied from real life to videogame. Perfect for the casual pick up and play with friends and/or family.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Inuyasha wrote:Yup, there you have it. The amount of different game modes this year is the thing that makes this a must have for me. I have not even touched season or career mode yet because off all the other modes. I absolutely love the Live Fixtures, Games of the Week, and EA Sports FC Challenge. I can see a real game on Saturday, and then play that game on my console with almost everything being copied from real life to videogame. Perfect for the casual pick up and play with friends and/or family.
That is a strong draw for an EPL fan, like me, who enjoys offline play or head-to-head with my boys, who also watch the EPL.