Kicking The Tires On A New TV...Advice Needed

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Kicking The Tires On A New TV...Advice Needed

Post by wco81 »

Look at reviews on rtings.com.

They specifically have ratings for gaming.

So you want to look at things like latency for gaming. Also Xbox Series X supports Dolby Vision, so that's a form of HDR which Samsung TVs don't support but you can find a lot of Dolby Vision content on Netflix and some other streaming services.

The refresh rate is more about motion for TV shows and movies, especially sports.

TVs from different brands do different types of motion processing. Again rtings.com has ratings for Movies, Sports, Gaming. As well as HDR Movies, HDR Gaming and as PC Monitor.

To be honest, a sub $400 TV, you shouldn't have high expectations. Contrast ratio will be bad and built-in streaming apps will be sluggish (you can get around that by plugging in a streaming device like Roku, Nvidia Shield, Apple TV, Google TV).

I paid $1400 plus tax for the 48-inch OLED back in June. Well by the fall or winter, that TV was down to like $1100 or $1200.

Will probably buy a 65-inch next year based on what comes out of CES in a couple of weeks.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

wco81 wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:36 pm
Look at reviews on rtings.com.

They specifically have ratings for gaming.
Thanks, I went there and I was surprised the Samsung AU8000 got higher marks than the Sony X80J. I just need something decent for my PS5 and Series X and $380 hit the sweet spot. Since I purchased it from Best Buy, I can always return it if I don't like it but I do have a 1080p Samsung TV (purchased in 2013) I use for my XONE and PS4 and i've been happy with it.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I have a 60hz LG TV and never have had any issues with stuttering or anything, in fact, games look and run fantastic on my XSX.

I do want a 65" LG C1 OLED though and have the green light from the wife.. but I haven't had my 55" LG SK9000 all that long though, so I'm going to wait to see what price the Samsung QD-OLED TV's come in at. (which I expect to be way out of my price range but I like that they are supposed to be much brighter than the original OLEDs)

I will never buy anything made by Sony again, I still have a bad taste in my mouth from that POS TV I paid $1500 for and barely made it 2 years. They wanted $900 to fix it.. yeah fck off.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

CES is next week, if they hold the event. Some companies have bailed on in-person attendance.

But the TV companies should announce new models next week.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

LG is going to have new OLEDs with brighter screens as well, so I'm excited to see what they have.

jLp_VaKer0
Mario Mendoza

Post by jLp_VaKer0 »

MizzouRah wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:28 pm
LG is going to have new OLEDs with brighter screens as well, so I'm excited to see what they have.
Had a LG CX for a couple of days before settling on the Samsung Q90t for our living room. Only reason was brightness, probably will become a non-issue pretty soon on the OLED side.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

OLED will never be as bright as LCD.

LG announced TVs with panels which will be 30% brighter than their previous OLED panels but it will only be on high end models.

Samsung has developed their own version of OLED called QD-OLED. For whatever reason, Samsung isn't demoing it at CES right now but Sony has announced a couple of QD-OLED TVs. There are rumors though that Sony told Youtube reviewers that it won't be brighter than the LG OLEDs.

There are also reports that Samsung and LG are negotiating to use LG OLED panels on Samsung's TVs.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Diablo25 wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:13 pm
Diablo25 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:02 pm
For those of you who bought the Sony x900h smart tv…the Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) and Auto Low Latency (ALL) firmware update has finally arrived. You can download it from Sonys site or simply wait for your TV to auto update.
Just an update…the above mentioned VRR update on the Sony X900h was a disaster as it caused several issues. I follow a guy on YouTube (HDTVTest) who does SUPERB vids on TVs, etc. The original firmware update from about 2 weeks ago evidently limited the TV to 60hz instead of 120hz and it caused issues with local dimming. Today another update has arrived and from my research it has fixed the issues. Hopefully VRR is now legit on the XBSX. The PS5 still needs an update for VRR but supposedly it close. As you were :D
VRR firmware update today for sony tv owners .

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Jimmydeicide wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:41 pm
Diablo25 wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:13 pm
Diablo25 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:02 pm
For those of you who bought the Sony x900h smart tv…the Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) and Auto Low Latency (ALL) firmware update has finally arrived. You can download it from Sonys site or simply wait for your TV to auto update.
Just an update…the above mentioned VRR update on the Sony X900h was a disaster as it caused several issues. I follow a guy on YouTube (HDTVTest) who does SUPERB vids on TVs, etc. The original firmware update from about 2 weeks ago evidently limited the TV to 60hz instead of 120hz and it caused issues with local dimming. Today another update has arrived and from my research it has fixed the issues. Hopefully VRR is now legit on the XBSX. The PS5 still needs an update for VRR but supposedly it close. As you were :D
VRR firmware update today for sony tv owners .
Thanks for the update Jimmy. The VRR was supposedly fixed months ago but this, evidently, cleans it up.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Picked up a 65" LG C1 Oled a few days ago while at their lowest discounted price yet. Now, I understand why people say they will only buy Oled's going forward. What an absolutely gorgeous picture. Reminds me a bit of the plasmas of days gone.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

sportdan30 wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:04 pm
Picked up a 65" LG C1 Oled a few days ago while at their lowest discounted price yet. Now, I understand why people say they will only buy Oled's going forward. What an absolutely gorgeous picture. Reminds me a bit of the plasmas of days gone.
Jealous! I've been in the market for a 65" OLED and almost pulled the trigger on a C1 as I'm a huge LG fan. Now that the Samsung S95b is out, I need to stop by a Best Buy and check it out as well as the C2.

The C1 is an excellent deal right now though.. not sure $1300 more for the Samsung is worth it but it looks fantastic in the few videos that have started to popup.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

MizzouRah wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:52 pm
sportdan30 wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:04 pm
Jealous! I've been in the market for a 65" OLED and almost pulled the trigger on a C1 as I'm a huge LG fan. Now that the Samsung S95b is out, I need to stop by a Best Buy and check it out as well as the C2.

The C1 is an excellent deal right now though.. not sure $1300 more for the Samsung is worth it but it looks fantastic in the few videos that have started to popup.
I contemplated waiting on the C2 because I was concerned about the C1 being too dim. Those worries were put to rest very quickly. This is hands down the best tv I've ever owned. The colors from the naked eye are just so natural and spot on. I have a Samsung Q80 in our family room, which I'm also very happy with, but now I'm seeing how unnatural the picture looks. It was quite apparent when I compared a NBA playoff game and Netflix's Drive to Survive. Hands down, the oled picture was just so much more impressive. The inky blacks and lack of blooming and DSE was quite clear from the onset. And of course gaming looks incredible along with the low input lag. For the price, it has exceeded my expectations.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

That's great to hear Dan, thank you!

I'm purchasing a new 65" TV within the next couple of weeks, I have it narrowed down to the C1, C2 and Samsung S95b. Right now I'm leaning Samsung due to the brightness and the fact it has the Charter Spectrum TV app, but I want to see a review from RTINGS. I would be happy with the LG C1 or C2 as well and the C2 with the EVO panel looks incredible. (but the C1 is much cheaper)

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

MizzouRah wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:39 pm
That's great to hear Dan, thank you!

I'm purchasing a new 65" TV within the next couple of weeks, I have it narrowed down to the C1, C2 and Samsung S95b. Right now I'm leaning Samsung due to the brightness and the fact it has the Charter Spectrum TV app, but I want to see a review from RTINGS. I would be happy with the LG C1 or C2 as well and the C2 with the EVO panel looks incredible. (but the C1 is much cheaper)
If you have any concerns regarding brightness, trust your instinct and go with the Samsung. I have my tv in the basement and more times than not, I have all the light out. So, no issues with it whatsoever. I feel that LG is trying to appeal to all rooms, including the family room which is probably why they have increased the brightness. I wouldn't be happy with the C1 in our family room as it's bright and has windows directly behind the couch. For that reason, the Samsung Q80 is perfect.

One oddity that I wasn't aware of is that the Bally Sports app is not available on the LG tv's as of this time. So, I have to watch the Blues and Cards upstairs, or I guess I could mirror it to the LG if I really wanted to.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Are the folks here pretty happy with Samsung and LG? I've only owned TCL and Vizio.

I really love TCL since it's bang for the buck but looking towards maybe another brand for higher end.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

sportdan30 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:37 pm

If you have any concerns regarding brightness, trust your instinct and go with the Samsung. I have my tv in the basement and more times than not, I have all the light out. So, no issues with it whatsoever. I feel that LG is trying to appeal to all rooms, including the family room which is probably why they have increased the brightness. I wouldn't be happy with the C1 in our family room as it's bright and has windows directly behind the couch. For that reason, the Samsung Q80 is perfect.

One oddity that I wasn't aware of is that the Bally Sports app is not available on the LG tv's as of this time. So, I have to watch the Blues and Cards upstairs, or I guess I could mirror it to the LG if I really wanted to.
I will never understand why they don't release apps to all platforms, I have to watch Bally's through the Spectrum app on my XSX.

Lancer,

I've been very happy with our current 55" LG TV and we also have 2 smaller Samsung's for the kitchen and bedroom that have been great as well.

jLp_VaKer0
Mario Mendoza

Post by jLp_VaKer0 »

While I enjoy my Q90t, I will think twice about purchasing another Sammy TV if they don’t support Dolby Vision.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

jLp_VaKer0 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:32 pm
While I enjoy my Q90t, I will think twice about purchasing another Sammy TV if they don’t support Dolby Vision.
I was just going to say that is a big drawback for me with Samsung as I do watch a lot of Netflix DV movies and XSX gaming seems to be trending towards DV for future releases. (put a checkmark by the C1 and C2 for me)

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I'm going with the 65" Samsung S95b, picking it up tomorrow from the Best Buy warehouse. The brightness alone on the QD-OLED Samsung panel is worth the extra $500 over the C2 imho plus I can access the Spectrum app directly from the TV without always having to turn on the XSX.

Gaming looks fantastic from what I've seen on YT and HDR content is almost mind blowing how beautiful it looks. I'm heading out of town next week so I'm going to wait to set it up until we get back, but I'll report back once I've watched different shows and played some XSX games with it.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Got the new Samsung S95b all hooked up and from someone who's never had an OLED TV, I'm blown away at how amazing the picture looks, especially watching an HDR movie or playing the XSX. Of course regular HD looks great and playing M22, NHL22, Lego Star Wars, Elden Ring, etc.. is like I'm playing completely new games.

First thing I watched was the Cardinals - Reds game today and I was in awe.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

MizzouRah wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:55 pm
Got the new Samsung S95b all hooked up and from someone who's never had an OLED TV, I'm blown away at how amazing the picture looks, especially watching an HDR movie or playing the XSX. Of course regular HD looks great and playing M22, NHL22, Lego Star Wars, Elden Ring, etc.. is like I'm playing completely new games.

First thing I watched was the Cardinals - Reds game today and I was in awe.
Awesome to hear it's living up to expectations. I haven't read one negative thing about this tv. Very happy to hear you're enjoying it!

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Thank you!!!

Turned on Freesync premium and hdr games are incredible.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Didn't see any chatter about it, so does anyone have any experience with the Samsung Frame lineup? Wife wants to replace bedroom TV with something more visually appealing.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Upgraded my 65" LG C1 I bought a few weeks ago to the 77" LG C1. Bigger is definitely better. Streaming shows, movies, and games look absolutely incredible. Sports look pretty darn good and SDR looks average.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

sportdan30 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 11:22 am
Upgraded my 65" LG C1 I bought a few weeks ago to the 77" LG C1. Bigger is definitely better. Streaming shows, movies, and games look absolutely incredible. Sports look pretty darn good and SDR looks average.
Wow! I would have to get rid of our entertainment center but I bet it looks incredible!! Watching the Blues would be like I was at the arena. :)