Kicking The Tires On A New TV...Advice Needed

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Kicking The Tires On A New TV...Advice Needed

Post by Diablo25 »

Ummmmm....It’s not my fault.
:D
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

XXXIV wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:27 pm
10spro wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:26 pm

Anyone else bought the Q90? Your impressions please. Was really tempted to get the LG CX Oled but my overall fears of eventual burning just tipped me back with Samsung.

You must have missed it when your headphones were not working but after reading the gaming reviews on Rtings.com I bought an Q80 right before the XSX came out. They had it listed 2nd behind the LGCX for gaming. Yes The Q90 is the better tv but for the man cave I didnt want to spend the extra cash as they are almost identical for gaming.

You don't need new HDMI cables. The one that came with the XSX is fine.

You will notice a difference and the TV will make you happy.

As for your wife? You are a dead man walking. Wont be seeing you around for a while.
10spro wrote:
Screw you Diablo. :twisted:
I believe the correct phrase is f*** you Diablo!
Diablo25 wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:34 pm
The wife already knows how Dragons roll!
His head will roll.

Now Vader, Seven, Jimmy?
Jimmy? He’s as good as dead. Surprised he hasn’t asked for a refund on his NHL 21. :P Now, yeah I must have missed your purchase, I knew you bought a new tv but didn’t know it was a Sammy one.

I mean if it wasn’t for the BF deal I probably could have waited longer, as I mentioned before the KS 8000 is still a fine beast. Maybe not enough for the upcoming games though but it’s still a beautiful tv. 120HZ is the way to go, not sure if VRR is working yet.

Was thinking about the Sony X900 too but the dude told me that they didn’t have an HDMI 2.1 ready yet, although a firmware could fix that.

LG CX, vibrant, beautiful tv and probably the most popular one for the newer consoles but that burning possibility just made me stick with Samsung. I mean my lady won’t noticed the same 65’ TV on the living room, but once I move the KS 8000 to the bedroom, yes I’ll be a dead man.

Look forward to lace my skates this Saturday on the new toy XXXIV.

And yes, f*** you Diablo.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

10spro wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:31 pm

I mean if it wasn’t for the BF deal I probably could have waited longer, as I mentioned before the KS 8000 is still a fine beast. Maybe not enough for the upcoming games though but it’s still a beautiful tv. 120HZ is the way to go, not sure if VRR is working yet.

BF deal was the difference for me too. The Best Buy BF deals started nice an early this year.

Yes the VRR is working on your new TV.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

10spro wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:31 pm
XXXIV wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:27 pm
10spro wrote:

Anyone else bought the Q90? Your impressions please. Was really tempted to get the LG CX Oled but my overall fears of eventual burning just tipped me back with Samsung.

You must have missed it when your headphones were not working but after reading the gaming reviews on Rtings.com I bought an Q80 right before the XSX came out. They had it listed 2nd behind the LGCX for gaming. Yes The Q90 is the better tv but for the man cave I didnt want to spend the extra cash as they are almost identical for gaming.

You don't need new HDMI cables. The one that came with the XSX is fine.

You will notice a difference and the TV will make you happy.

As for your wife? You are a dead man walking. Wont be seeing you around for a while.
10spro wrote:
Screw you Diablo. :twisted:
I believe the correct phrase is f*** you Diablo!
Diablo25 wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:34 pm
The wife already knows how Dragons roll!
His head will roll.

Now Vader, Seven, Jimmy?
Jimmy? He’s as good as dead. Surprised he hasn’t asked for a refund on his NHL 21. :P Now, yeah I must have missed your purchase, I knew you bought a new tv but didn’t know it was a Sammy one.

Was thinking about the Sony X900 too but the dude told me that they didn’t have an HDMI 2.1 ready yet, although a firmware could fix that.

LG CX, vibrant, beautiful tv and probably the most popular one for the newer consoles but that burning possibility just made me stick with Samsung. I mean my lady won’t noticed the same 65’ TV on the living room, but once I move the KS 8000 to the bedroom, yes I’ll be a dead man.

Look forward to lace my skates this Saturday on the new toy XXXIV.

And yes, f*** you Diablo.
HDMI 2.1 firmware to support 120hz was released a few weeks ago for the X900H. Still waiting on the VRR firmware though.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Diablo25 wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:52 pm

HDMI 2.1 firmware to support 120hz was released a few weeks ago for the X900H. Still waiting on the VRR firmware though.

HDMI 2.1 support seems to be in a poor state at the moment.

It was announced in 2017 and the support is still spotty and among gear that has 2.1, the support for features are shaky.

Now comes word that the chipset used in all AVRs which have 2.1 ports -- which are like a half dozen to a dozen models -- have a bug that can't be fixed with a firmware update. So the AVR manufacturers have to either swap boards or bail on support.

At this point, it might not matter too much. Of the new consoles, maybe only the Xbox Series X will hit the high bandwidth modes like 4K120.

But gear with 2.1 ports may have different levels of bandwidth, not going all the way to 48 Gbps.

Maybe in Japan it would matter, because their national broadcaster broadcasts in 8k or plans to do so, including the Olympics, if that happens next summer.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Anyone have experience with the Sony X900-H set? ReviewTechUSA reviewed it really well for x/s & ps5 with firmware updates for HDMI 2.1 and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger, but wanted to check in to see if anyone here has had first hand experience with it. Would be replacing the Samsung KS8000. Worth it?
GT = Wilk5280

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Wilk5280 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:46 pm
Anyone have experience with the Sony X900-H set? ReviewTechUSA reviewed it really well for x/s & ps5 with firmware updates for HDMI 2.1 and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger, but wanted to check in to see if anyone here has had first hand experience with it. Would be replacing the Samsung KS8000. Worth it?
I guess I'll go ahead and answer my own question now :D

Best Buy had a pretty smoking deal on the Sony X900H and. I was able to score the 65" panel for 500 less than the Samsung Q80T. After using BB Rewards Certificates I was out the door for less than a 1,000, even after paying Sam, so I decided to go for it. I watched several videos about the X900H in form of its own reviews and with direct comparison with the Sammy Q80T. It seemed like they are very comparable with the Q80T edging out Sony's panel is a few categories. For what I'm using it for and for the savings I decided to go Sony's set.

Having only watched some television content and playing some Xbox One X, it seems like a substantial upgrade from the Samsung KS8000. At least enough for me to be able to tell the difference easily. I'm really looking forward to putting it through the paces and can't wait to get the Series X and hook it up to it and see further improvements.

Right now I've started with the settings this guy lays out in his video. It takes him awhile to get to what I was looking for and he likes to ramble on, but seems to know his s*** and the image quality is pretty damn good. Really not much to change out of the box, which is another huge plus IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdaPI9p ... COGuyStuff

My first impressions are pretty high, especially at the price point. We'll see going forward as I spend more time with it.
Last edited by Wilk5280 on Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GT = Wilk5280

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Aristo wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:50 pm
Diablo25 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:56 pm
I just order the 65” Sony X900H. I had $50 on Morikawa to win the PGA this week ($500 win), sold my current TV to a friend, and I’m currently selling one of my Xbox One X’s. All that covers the price of the new Tv. It is “Ready for the PS5”. 4K, 120hz refresh, Variable refresh rate, HDMI 2.1, etc. it reviewed very well so I pulled the trigger. Yes I am a tech whore.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/televi ... ls_default
I've been super happy with my x900e, which is essentially just the same TV a few versions ago. I might have bought about a year or so too soon, as the new HDR and 120hz won't be added to it. So I would LOVE the x900h, but I will wait for awhile. Games and media still seem to look and play pretty amazing at just 60hz and HDR 10.

I would lean heavily towards Sony because I have been so happy with this TV, but that Samsung Q90 also has me looking at ways to rationalize spending money.

I had moved away from Sony TVs because their cost never matched their performance. But I think the x900e was a turning point. Their prices have been more in line, and they still have great features. I ended up picking it over the Samsung KS8000 at the time, which I think was the more popular TV.
hmm, I missed these posts earlier when I was going back through looking for Sony X900H impressions.
GT = Wilk5280

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Diablo25 wrote:

VRR for Sony X900 cancelled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfaB1jWtbIc

"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

vader29 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:30 pm
Diablo25 wrote:

VRR for Sony X900 cancelled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfaB1jWtbIc

Some bullshit there.

Was not an easy choice as I have Sony TVs in the other two rooms but it looks like bailing on this one in favor of Samsung Q80T was the right choice after all.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Yep, purchased the X900H on the current 120Hz support with promise of firmware updates to support VRR. It's a great TV and will I really miss VRR? I don't know, but when you advertise something is coming and people purchase your product based on that, you should be required to deliver.
GT = Wilk5280

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Good hustle Vader! Hopefully it is sooner rather than later but the video said “later this year” :evil:
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I purchased the Samsung 75" Q80T a couple weeks ago. Very happy with the purchase, except one caveat. The wife wasn't budging and allowing me to put it down in the basement with my PS5 and Series X. Currently gaming on a Vizio P series 65" that's a couple years old. Not sure I want to put either console in the family room.

Anyways, the tv purchase came came with a $400 gift card which lessened the blow a little bit regarding the $2599 price.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Just got an update to my Sony X900h. Hoping it’s VRR. It’s a big update. Stay tuned....
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Doesn’t look like it’s the VRR firmware😐 I believe it does fix an audio issue I was having. Oh well.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

jLp_VaKer0
Mario Mendoza

Post by jLp_VaKer0 »

So after some days of researching, I was looking for a TV for my living room which is a very bright room and that it had all the the HDMI 2.1 features for when I eventually find a PS5. I’m replacing a 2015 55” KD55W800C.

Seems like the best options for my needs (and under $3k) where:

- Samsung Q80t or Q90t (No Dolby Vision)
- Sony x900h (not as bright as the Samsungs and still waiting on a VRR fw update)
- Vizio PQX (Buggy as hell as I’ve read everywhere)

Anyways, stopped by Best Buy and saw a boxed 75”Q90t in the open box section. Spoke to the manager and he discounted it down to $2000 plus during checkout Samsung has a $200 gift card deal 👍🏽.

Anyone have experience with the Q90? Do you miss not having Dolby Vision?

I know new 2021 Samsungs are now dropping, but I think this was a sweet deal.

Will pick it up on Monday. Hoping I don’t get a “dirty screen”.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

I have it. It rocks. Had a LG OLED prior and don’t miss Dolby Vision one bit. It’s not like it’s a higher resolution or anything.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Are you sure the last year's models, which are probably being closed out now as the 2021 models start to arrive, have HDMI 2.1?

I think the Sony doesn't. It may have 2.1 features but not 2.1 itself.

Don't know about Samsung.

Dolby Vision is probably more for shows and movies and Netflix seems to have most of the DV content.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

The Samsung Q90T has 2.1, VRR etc… Looks amazing with the series x.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

greggsand wrote: The Samsung Q90T has 2.1, VRR etc… Looks amazing with the series x.
Q80T does as well. SWEET! Love it!

Save a little money and get all the same gaming features as the Q90T.

As I was buying this TV for the mancave specifically for the Series X , didnt even consider Dolby vision.

jLp_VaKer0
Mario Mendoza

Post by jLp_VaKer0 »

jLp_VaKer0 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:10 pm
So after some days of researching, I was looking for a TV for my living room which is a very bright room and that it had all the the HDMI 2.1 features for when I eventually find a PS5. I’m replacing a 2015 55” KD55W800C.

- Sony x900h (not as bright as the Samsungs and still waiting on a VRR fw update)

Anyways, stopped by Best Buy and saw a boxed 75”Q90t in the open box section. Spoke to the manager and he discounted it down to $2000 plus during checkout Samsung has a $200 gift card deal 👍🏽.

Well OF course, opened the Q90t and it had some scratches on the screen. 🤦🏽‍♂️

Took it back, no Samsungs, Vizio or Sonys available.

Got the LG CX 65” at $1,950.

My living room is bright so I’ll try it out for a week and if it cant keep up I will take it back. *fingers crossed*

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

I had a LG C7. Watch that burn in. I loved mine so much - it really bummed me out.

jLp_VaKer0
Mario Mendoza

Post by jLp_VaKer0 »

jLp_VaKer0 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:23 pm
jLp_VaKer0 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:10 pm

Well OF course, opened the Q90t and it had some scratches on the screen. 🤦🏽‍♂️

Took it back, no Samsungs, Vizio or Sonys available.

Got the LG CX 65” at $1,950.

My living room is bright so I’ll try it out for a week and if it cant keep up I will take it back. *fingers crossed*
Well, took the LG CX back. Tried everything settings wise but it just wasn’t bright enough for my living room.

Saw ANOTHER open boxed 75” Samsung Q90t, asked the manager if we could check the screen for scratches and it looked brand new. This time I got out the door with a Q90t for $1,899 + the $200 gift card offer that’s still available.

Got it up and running a couple of hours ago and I’m digging it.

Now let’s find a next gen console to play The Show 21! 😂

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Maybe buy some drapes so you don't have to get a TV to run in torch mode?