Kicking The Tires On A New TV...Advice Needed

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Kicking The Tires On A New TV...Advice Needed

Post by pk500 »

Danimal wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:38 pm
Thanks I had it narrowed down to YTTV and fuboTV but with so many endorsements for YTTV I guess that is the one. I already paid for Sunday ticket for the season so I am not sure I can get that money back.
Big negative of Fubo, at least for me: No Turner channels. No CNN (F*ck FOX News), TNT (NBA), TruTV (NCAA Tournament). Plus its DVR can't compare to YTTV. No streaming service's DVR can.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

So it's an extra $19.99 a month to get 4K on YTTV? That sounds a bit pricey!
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Danimal wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:56 pm
$9.99 a month for the first year. I haven't really noticed a HUGE difference in quality, so after my first year is up, I'll probably scrap 4K. I really would rather have Dolby 5.1 on my devices already. My only real complaint.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:05 pm
Danimal wrote:
$9.99 a month for the first year. I haven't really noticed a HUGE difference in quality, so after my first year is up, I'll probably scrap 4K. I really would rather have Dolby 5.1 on my devices already. My only real complaint.
They can't have too much 4K content because most of the broadcast and cable TV networks aren't distributing 4K content.

There was some limited broadcasts of NFL, MLB, golf and Olympics events in 4K.

Only streaming services are producing 4K content in any quantity.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Danimal wrote:
I don't have the 4K package. But that extra cost also gives you unlimited household streams, up from the three concurrent streams allowed. Nice feature if you have a lot of people watching simultaneously.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Thanks for all the info here, fellas. Comcast has completely botched moving my services so I'm going to shop around once my contract with them is up. My wife loves the Tivo experience though, so that's one thing that could get in the way of switching to YTTV.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dave wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:43 am
Thanks for all the info here, fellas. Comcast has completely botched moving my services so I'm going to shop around once my contract with them is up. My wife loves the Tivo experience though, so that's one thing that could get in the way of switching to YTTV.
Contracts -- such a quaint relic of cable TV.

No contracts ever with YTTV. You can sign up for or cancel the service and any of its add-on premium channels or packs at any time.

YTTV has the best DVR of any streaming service, so I think your wife will be OK.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Dave wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:43 am
It's not as good as the Tivo but the Stream app has some nice features. You can record to the cloud DVR and then download it to your phone or iPad.

Then you can cast from there.

My LG OLED has a beta version of the Stream app so I can access the recordings there as well.

Also, I set up a VPN server on my router to fake the Stream app to think I was still at home and I can download and stream content which I'm only suppose to be able to access at home.

As far as streaming and downloading recordings to the iPad, I like it a lot better than the Tivo app, which is very slow to download recordings.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Quickly changing gears, what’s the VPN to go with for free and paid subscriptions.

I am told expressvpn. Thoughts?

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

I can vouch for expressvpn. It’s been great for me since I moved to Germany. Lots of servers, excellent service/help via chat if needed. I was happily surprised to find they have an app for my android tv (Sony TV).

https://www.expressrefer.com/refer-a-fr ... d=34510670

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Zeppo wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:27 pm
I can vouch for expressvpn. It’s been great for me since I moved to Germany. Lots of servers, excellent service/help via chat if needed. I was happily surprised to find they have an app for my android tv (Sony TV).

https://www.expressrefer.com/refer-a-fr ... d=34510670
Thanks Zeppo. I just signed thru your link, you should get your subscription extended.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

For those of you who bought the Sony x900h smart tv…the Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) and Auto Low Latency (ALL) firmware update has finally arrived. You can download it from Sonys site or simply wait for your TV to auto update.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Diablo25 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:02 pm
For those of you who bought the Sony x900h smart tv…the Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) and Auto Low Latency (ALL) firmware update has finally arrived. You can download it from Sonys site or simply wait for your TV to auto update.
Just an update…the above mentioned VRR update on the Sony X900h was a disaster as it caused several issues. I follow a guy on YouTube (HDTVTest) who does SUPERB vids on TVs, etc. The original firmware update from about 2 weeks ago evidently limited the TV to 60hz instead of 120hz and it caused issues with local dimming. Today another update has arrived and from my research it has fixed the issues. Hopefully VRR is now legit on the XBSX. The PS5 still needs an update for VRR but supposedly it close. As you were :D
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

So we finally made the switch to Youtube TV. I should say we are in the 2 week trial but plan to dump DTV.

However we recorded a show last night, well maybe the whole series as I am not sure I get home a one off recording works. My wife is watching it now and is being forced to watch commercials which she is not happy about. Is it this way for every live show or is there a way to skip them?
Follow Me on:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Danimal wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:39 pm
So we finally made the switch to Youtube TV. I should say we are in the 2 week trial but plan to dump DTV.

However we recorded a show last night, well maybe the whole series as I am not sure I get home a one off recording works. My wife is watching it now and is being forced to watch commercials which she is not happy about. Is it this way for every live show or is there a way to skip them?
Don't pick the VOD option; you will be forced to watch commercials. Record it and pick the DVR version, and you can fast-forward through commercials.

You must rewire your brain with the YouTube DVR. It's not like traditional cable or satellite DVRs in that you can't delete shows after you watch them. You can mark them as watched from the phone app or shows become "watched" once you watch them. But there's no delete because it's not needed -- you have unlimited DVR storage, with each show on your DVR disappearing nine months after they're recorded.

While that sounds odd and it took me awhile to wrap my head around it, the "nine months before deletion" DVR gives you an almost infinite library on demand for nine months. In the middle of the spring and want to watch the Bears' best win of the season again? It's there on your DVR for easy access as long as you have set up your DVR to record all Bears' games.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

The DVR on YTTV is awful, but combining all past seasons and current w VOD makes it easier to go back and watch earlier seasons. My son likes to do that for shows like Beat Bobby Flay and other cooking shows (wtf?). Otherwise the interface and logic behind how it works is baffling.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:01 pm
The DVR on YTTV is awful, but combining all past seasons and current w VOD makes it easier to go back and watch earlier seasons. My son likes to do that for shows like Beat Bobby Flay and other cooking shows (wtf?). Otherwise the interface and logic behind how it works is baffling.
That's a bit extreme, but it is the case if you want the YTTV DVR to work just like a cable or satellite DVR. It doesn't, and it won't. So, you just need to wrap your head around how it works, and it's fine.

Unlimited DVR with nine months of storage? Easy, "set and forget" interface? Time automatically added to the end of recording of games that run long or are delayed? That's not an "awful" DVR.

And there's nothing wrong with D learning how to cook. A dude who can cook is a total chick magnet. :)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:27 pm
dbdynsty25 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:01 pm
That's a bit extreme, but it is the case if you want the YTTV DVR to work just like a cable or satellite DVR. It doesn't, and it won't. So, you just need to wrap your head around how it works, and it's fine.

Unlimited DVR with nine months of storage? Easy, "set and forget" interface? Time automatically added to the end of recording of games that run long or are delayed? That's not an "awful" DVR.

And there's nothing wrong with D learning how to cook. A dude who can cook is a total chick magnet. :)
Who do you think cooks all the meals in my house? I certainly didn’t get the girl by my looks. Had to do something lol.

I just hate how it mixes in all the vod stuff…you can’t keep stuff on your list for any legitimate amount of time because re-airings mess up the “watched” list and little interface things annoy me. Fine, awful was a bad description but it’s certainly not my favorite.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

pk500 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:13 pm

Don't pick the VOD option; you will be forced to watch commercials. Record it and pick the DVR version, and you can fast-forward through commercials.
Umm how do I do that? Last night my wife was watching James Corden and she wanted me to record it. So I just added it to my library. Is there another way to do that?
Follow Me on:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Danimal wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:39 am
pk500 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:13 pm

Umm how do I do that? Last night my wife was watching James Corden and she wanted me to record it. So I just added it to my library. Is there another way to do that?
That’s how you do it. You probably did it mid episode so the dvr picked the vod version to display because it was complete. Next time the show airs it’ll record it and show it as recorded in the dvr instead of vod. Then you will be able to fast forward. That’s part of the confusing part of how it works but that is how it’s been working for me since I got it in July.

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

The DVR feature on YouTubeTV is almost too simple, that is why I think it confuses many people. Could the interface be better, yes, but it does work pretty seamlessly once you understand its simplicity.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Some helpful Youtube TV tricks... I personally love the customizable live guide.

https://www.techhive.com/article/350958 ... be-tv.html

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I need a little education regarding refresh rates on a 4K TV. I'm looking at the Samsung AU8000 which is around $375 @ Best Buy. It has HDR10, HDR10+ (whatever that means) and native 60Hz. I've read and have been told that you need 120Hz if you plan using it for the PS5 or Series X or you will get stutters while playing games.

So my questions are why? What is it about 120Hz besides it being double the refresh rate that eliminates stutter? Isn't 60Hz good enough? I have a Samsung 1080p TV hooked up to my XONE and PS4 and I don't notice any stutters. The Samsung AU8000 has what's called "Motion Rate 120" which supposedly changes the refresh rate to 120Hz. Wouldn't that solve the in game stuttering problem?

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Rodster wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:58 am
I need a little education regarding refresh rates on a 4K TV. I'm looking at the Samsung AU8000 which is around $375 @ Best Buy. It has HDR10, HDR10+ (whatever that means) and native 60Hz. I've read and have been told that you need 120Hz if you plan using it for the PS5 or Series X or you will get stutters while playing games.

So my questions are why? What is it about 120Hz besides it being double the refresh rate that eliminates stutter? Isn't 60Hz good enough? I have a Samsung 1080p TV hooked up to my XONE and PS4 and I don't notice any stutters. The Samsung AU8000 has what's called "Motion Rate 120" which supposedly changes the refresh rate to 120Hz. Wouldn't that solve the in game stuttering problem?
You do not “need” 120hz on the next gen hardware. You wont get stuttering, etc. on the 60Hz TV. I’d be willing to bet that most gamers do not have a 120 Hz TV and play at 60 Hz perfectly fine.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Diablo25 wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:02 am
Rodster wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:58 am

You do not “need” 120hz on the next gen hardware. You wont get stuttering, etc. on the 60Hz TV. I’d be willing to bet that most gamers do not have a 120 Hz TV and play at 60 Hz perfectly fine.
Thanks diablo for the info. That’s what was suggested to me at Best Buy awhile back before I had a next gen console. Is the Samsung the better choice over a Sony? I was looking at the Samsung AU8000 and Sony X80J.