Max Payne 3

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Max Payne 3

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I can't believe I can't find a Max Payne 3 thread...maybe it's because it's 3am and I just finished playing 4 hours of the PC version and had a few pops to go with it. Oh well...the point is that this game is pretty awesome. The style is straight up Rockstar w/ some more flair even. It's a MP game with all of the bullet time, but it seems to be a bit more cinematic than I remember the first two being, but either way they did a pretty fantastic job.

I played the 360 version the other day at a buddies house and it was cool and all, but I've been waiting until today (well yesterday at this point) when the PC version came out for graphical purposes...and goodness this thing is good looking. Check out this screen shot I took tonight (full detail @ 1920x1200 res):

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/4813 ... 200003.jpg

The detail is absolutely ridiculous. Anyway, if anyone is interested in this game, apparently the single player is over 10 hours or so, which is about average. I doubt I'll play the multiplayer portion much just because the single player is so fun. It really is just a shoot 'em up game that really is just about killing time...but it's a damn good time anyway.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Max Payne 3

Post by MizzouRah »

Yeah, I posted in some other thread because I couldn't find a MP3 thread. Looking to pick this up at some point for sure.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Yeah, it certainly has a Rockstar feel to it. I played quite a bit of it but never got back around to it after diving into Dragon's Dogma the last couple weeks. I'm going to go back and finish it up pretty soon here.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Great timing - I actually finished this last night. I'm a whore for anything Rockstar makes and this is no exception. I'm also particularly biased because I know one of the lead art guys who worked on the game. The graphics even on the 360 look great and the attention to detail in the environments is amazing.

I love the visual style and the story too - if you liked Ridley Scott's 'Man on Fire' you'll dig the story and visual presentation here.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Going to kick this game off tonight now that Dragon's Dogma has been completed.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

I'm going to pimp my blog again - I did some Max Payne 3 impressions recently;

http://maccasgaming.blogspot.ca/2012/06 ... 3-360.html

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I picked it up last week and played it for a couple of hours. Story wise will get you really into the game in no time, and the surroundings and characters are top notch visually speaking. Quite a few gruesome scenes if you have young ones around, make sure they don't watch it not to mention my daily language when I drive.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

10spro wrote:I picked it up last week and played it for a couple of hours. Story wise will get you really into the game in no time, and the surroundings and characters are top notch visually speaking. Quite a few gruesome scenes if you have young ones around, make sure they don't watch it not to mention my daily language when I drive.
Thanks for the warning.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Macca00 wrote:I'm going to pimp my blog again - I did some Max Payne 3 impressions recently;

http://maccasgaming.blogspot.ca/2012/06 ... 3-360.html
Excellent read, really makes me want to play it tonight now.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Damn this game is hard.

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

MizzouRah wrote:Damn this game is hard.
You haven't seen anything yet. The game holds your hand at first but you get thrown into some crazy firefights by the end.

I really enjoyed the game overall. I played through the PS3 version once on Medium with soft lock, and I'm on Chapter 5 of my second time through on Hard with free aim. It really hasn't been much harder since I'm so much better at the game than when I played through it the first time, but having to sit through all the unskippable five minute cutscenes while the game loads constantly is kind of killing the fun of it. I'm probably going to trade it in at Best Buy before the 100% trade bonus ends, but I definitely got a lot out of it while I have had it.

One thing that is pretty fun to do after you beat the game once is to try to get some of the achievements/trophies that you unlock for being perfect in certain sections of the game. Things like killing every enemy in bullet time after you dive through the nightclub window before you hit the ground or taking out every enemy as you are being lifted by a chain are difficult but fun, and the best part is that it only takes a couple of seconds to reload a checkpoint if you fail.

I feel like with this game that Rockstar has finally gotten the shooting part of their game engine right, this gives me hope that GTA V won't have the clunky gunplay that has brought it down some in the past.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Yeah.. I'm used to having some time - Dragon's dogma.. now I'm having to really think quick. :)

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

$39.99 today as amazon's "deal of the day".
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

This fu%*#&% game really pisses me off.

Damn.. you can only get shot a couple of times, there are tons of bad guys.. son of a b%&%^ this game really ticks me off or I just suck at these types of games. I'm dying left and right.

I don't see how they can throw grenades perfectly either.. I'm just frustrated at the difficulty of this game. (at least for me)

The game just doesn't seem like I'm controlling anything.. the enemy always knows where I'm at, so it's jump out, hit bullet time, rinse and repeat. Not really my thing, but I'll finish it over the weekend and return it for trade in credit. Definitely wouldn't play though a second time.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I actually rarely use bullet time when jumping...occasionally when popping up from cover just to get some head shots across the room, but don't get too carried away with it. Lots of hiding behind cover is the way to go.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

dbdynsty25 wrote:I actually rarely use bullet time when jumping...occasionally when popping up from cover just to get some head shots across the room, but don't get too carried away with it. Lots of hiding behind cover is the way to go.
I do that.. lol.. and then a grenade lands perfectly by my legs.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

MizzouRah wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:I actually rarely use bullet time when jumping...occasionally when popping up from cover just to get some head shots across the room, but don't get too carried away with it. Lots of hiding behind cover is the way to go.
Then you run like hell. :)

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

MizzouRah wrote:
Bullet time while the grenade is in the air & shoot it. It's pretty easy to do when you know they throw it.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Never thought of that.. going to dive into The Witcher 2 for a bit, I'm getting bored with MP3 right now.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Mizzou,

Sorry to hear you're not enjoying MP3. What type of targeting are you using? Have you tried soft-lock - that makes it easier. Or, if you use free aim you can go into the settings and increase the aim sensitivity.
That's a great tip.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Yes I am using soft touch.. the game just feels too scripted for my tastes and you're not really playing the game, or at least that's the feeling I get. Wasn't what I had expected, but I've never played a Max Payne game before.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

MizzouRah wrote:Yes I am using soft touch.. the game just feels too scripted for my tastes and you're not really playing the game, or at least that's the feeling I get. Wasn't what I had expected, but I've never played a Max Payne game before.
I gave up on MP2 for similar reasons. MP1 was a solid experience on the Xbox.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Rodster wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:Yes I am using soft touch.. the game just feels too scripted for my tastes and you're not really playing the game, or at least that's the feeling I get. Wasn't what I had expected, but I've never played a Max Payne game before.
I gave up on MP2 for similar reasons. MP1 was a solid experience on the Xbox.
Yeah, I tried to play some more and it just doesn't do it for me. I traded it in and paid off Madden.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

The Max Payne series has always been scripted...just a movie type game. Not sure why that is a surprise to anyone.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

dbdynsty25 wrote:The Max Payne series has always been scripted...just a movie type game. Not sure why that is a surprise to anyone.
Maybe because I've never played a Max Payne game before? :roll: