OT: Ready Player One

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: Ready Player One

Post by Naples39 »

Has anyone read this book? It came highly recommended to me. Basically, it's about a terrible near future, where most people spend nearly all their time in an online Second Life type world. The creator of this world, who was obsessed with 80s culture, has died, leaving his massive fortune to whoever can track down hidden easter eggs in the massive massive online world.

It seems like the book is right up the alley for many here; heavily inspired by forum/MMO culture, rife with references to 80s movies/music/video games. I just started it, but it looks like it will be fun.

http://www.amazon.com/Ready-Player-One- ... 003&sr=8-1
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Ready Player One

Post by RobVarak »

I burned through it and absolutely loved it. It pushed nostalgia buttons that I didn't even know that I had.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

What Rob said - my sister recommended it to me and I devoured it. Love it and highly recommended.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I just got on the waiting list at the library for the Kindle edition. Thanks for the head's up. I should be able to rent it within the next week or two.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I burned through it this it weekend. Pretty fun, even if the D&D and Atari references were slightly ahead of my time. Drags a bit in the middle, and a bit predictable, but still good.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Naples39 wrote:Pretty fun, even if the D&D and Atari references were slightly ahead of my time.

Rotten kids these days. Spoiled with all their HD 3D graphics. Get off my lawn and go play some Adventure and River Raid!!
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

The farthest back I can go is my best friend when I was Kindergarten-age or thereabouts had an Atari and I remember playing Robotron, Jordan vs Bird, and BallBlazer. Do I get any cred for that?

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

RobVarak wrote: Get off my lawn and go play some Adventure and River Raid!!
:lol:

River Raid! :D

Book is now on me must read list.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I'll definitely check it out! Sounds right up my alley.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Diablo25 wrote:I'll definitely check it out! Sounds right up my alley.
I find it ironic that within seconds of reading this thread i went to the iBooks store and DL a sample of the book :)
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Bumped to thank Naples for the recommendation and to make sure that folks saw this. I too agree that many here would enjoy the book. I started late last week and should finish it soon...just had too much going on this weekend (kids soccer, hockey, Tiger, mowing, 10k race, etc.) to speed through it. Those cheapskates like me should checkout their local e-library. I've actually borrowed my last three books (Fab Four, Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, and this one) from my library to read on Kindle.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I'm only 4 chapters in but they have not been making me want to read this book at an incredible pace. I just came off reading the Hunger Games series in 2.5 days so maybe after reading those (which I loved) my expectations are too high.

My problem is the 80's references seems like they are just in every other sentence. In fact the first few chapters they are littered so casually about I rolled my eyes at many points. It's as if the author choose a reference and then wrote a piece of story around it and not the other way around.

Meanwhile another book was suggested called Snow Crash which sounds really interesting but I don't want to start it until I decide to finish this or not. So all of that to get to one question.

Does the story pick up? Does it ever get to a story instead of one guy talking about every pop culture reference?
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

Danimal wrote:I'm only 4 chapters in but they have not been making me want to read this book at an incredible pace. I just came off reading the Hunger Games series in 2.5 days so maybe after reading those (which I loved) my expectations are too high.

My problem is the 80's references seems like they are just in every other sentence. In fact the first few chapters they are littered so casually about I rolled my eyes at many points. It's as if the author choose a reference and then wrote a piece of story around it and not the other way around.

Meanwhile another book was suggested called Snow Crash which sounds really interesting but I don't want to start it until I decide to finish this or not. So all of that to get to one question.

Does the story pick up? Does it ever get to a story instead of one guy talking about every pop culture reference?
I had the exact same reaction to the book as you are having at that point. I didn't understand where all the praise here was coming from, and the nonstop 80's references that didn't really seem to serve any purpose were driving me crazy. The story definitely does pick up though, especially after the first key is found in the game. The 80's pop culture references never stop though, so be prepared for that if you end up sticking with it. For what it's worth, I did end up getting hooked and finished the book in just a few days, it was an enjoyable read if not particularly well written.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Thanks Hip I'll give it another shot.
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I finally got around to finishing this book. It was a decent read but I wouldn't call it great. If you want a similar themed book then I would still recommend Snow Crash
Follow Me on: