Xbox 360: Oldie-but-goodie games

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Xbox 360: Oldie-but-goodie games

Post by pk500 »

Fellas:

Jumped back on the console train after a five-year retirement. Got the 250GB Xbox 360 Holiday Bundle with Halo Reach, Fable and three months of XBL Gold for $199 at Best Buy in the Black Friday madness earlier today. Also bought Battlefield 3 and Madden 12.

I'm scouring the Black Friday ads for other deals on current games. But I need help from veteran 360 players, since I'm still a cheap f*ck.

What are some really good 360 games from the last few years that are worth getting on the cheap? Games that have great gameplay/stories and still look good?

My preferred genres are team sports, racing and first-person shooters, but my mind is open to an exceptional game in any genre.

Looking forward to hanging and playing with you cats on XBL again very soon. Probably tonight! :)

Thanks.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Xbox 360: Oldie-but-goodie games

Post by pigpen81 »

Indy 500 Evolution

Batman Arkham Asylum

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

I love the Gears of War series for single player. Best Buy is selling the triple pack (which includes Gears 1 and 2) for $7.99 today which is a steal.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Bioshock 1 and Red Dead Redemption are probably my two favorite games of this generation, shouldn't show many signs of age, and can be had for cheap.

Gears 1 was great when it came out but I don't know how it's aged.

The Rock Band series was tons of fun too, but you'll have those damn instruments around.

EDIT: I liked Arkham Asylum and Prince of Persia enough to find every item too.
Last edited by Naples39 on Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Arkham Asylum all the way...A great story, engaging gameplay....just a great game.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

GTA IV and Fallout 3

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

pk500 wrote:Fellas: What are some really good 360 games from the last few years that are worth getting on the cheap? Games that have great gameplay/stories and still look good?

My preferred genres are team sports, racing and first-person shooters, but my mind is open to an exceptional game in any genre.

Looking forward to hanging and playing with you cats on XBL again very soon. Probably tonight! :)

Thanks.
Just off my mind the games that comes to me and I am sure that you can find it rather cheap are Medal of Honor, Left 4 Dead 1 or 2, Gears 1 or 2, and Black Ops for the shooting department, Dirt 2 or 3 in racing and for team sports just get a deal on the latest NHL 12 and join us in OTP.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Gamestop has some good arcade racers on sale right now if you're interested - Midnight Club Complete and Split Second both are $9.99.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Hell No! There goes the neighborhood.

Im with Naples on Red Dead redemption. You cannot go wrong. Great single player and fun multi player.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Congrats! This is like when I meet someone who is finally about to start watching The Wire. I'm jealous!
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

The Orange Box is worth it for Portal alone. It also has Half-Life 2 and all of the expansions.

Edit: Don't know how I forgot to mention Borderlands. Outstanding game.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Congrats, PK. There are a ton of good games check out on the 360:

I second a Bioshock recommendation. A great FPS with a very unusual setting and engaging story. Pretty spooky, too.

Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 are also fantastic. A mixture of sci-fi RPG and FPS, with epic storylines. It's real space opera mixed with plenty of action. Plus you'll get caught up for Mass Effect 3 in 2012.

CoD: Modern Warfare 1 by far has the best story of the series. The single-player is not terribly long but it is unforgettable.

I loved Fallout 3 as well. The setting is fantastic, Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" in videogame form. Also has a lot of playtime.

The NBA 2k series is probably the best sports series on the 360. I didn't pick up 2k12 because of the lockout, but the 2k11 version has a series of Jordan challenges with classic teams that is worth the price of admission alone.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Midnight Club, Indy Evolution, Split/Second and Dirt 2 are all great shouts for racing games, mate. You'll probably be able to get a copy of PGR4 for about a penny now too. Race Pro (though you've effectively played that on PC already) is worth looking up, as is Flatout: Ultimate Carnage if you're after something a little different. Brilliant little game, that one.

Don't forget about XBox Live Arcade too, PK. A decent library of reasonably-priced titles on there, all with free trial versions to sample before making a purchase. Some of my most played games - I'll give you Boom Boom Rocket and the majestic Outrun Online Arcade for starters - are XBLA titles.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Sorry if these are reposts:

Gears of War
Bioshock
COD MW 2
COD Black Ops
Borderlands
Dragon's Age

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Honestly, I'd just go to IGN or Gamespot and sort by rating. Pretty much the games rated "8" and above will keep you busy until 2013.

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews.html?pl ... ficial=all

http://www.ign.com/index/reviews.html
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

I can't imagine where to begin for you, PK!

Few suggestions:

FPS/Shooters:
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Bioshock
Halo Reach
Battlefield 3 (so you can play online with everyone)
Orange Box (for Half Life 2 + Episodes 1&2 - if you haven't already played them on PC)
Gears of War 3 (the first one doesn't hold up that well IMO)
Borderlands
Left for Dead

Driving:
PGR 4 (amazing game and as someone else mentioned, would be dirt cheap)
Burnout Paradise (will be cheap as hell and fantastic)
Forza 3 or 4
Split/Second

Sports:
FIFA 12
NHL 12
Fight Night Champion

Action/Adventure:
GTA IV + Episodes - will be dirt cheap
Assassin's Creed II - can skip the first one and this will be cheap
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
Red Dead Redemption
Dead Space
Batman: AA

RPG:
Dragon Age Origins
Mass Effect 1&2

Downloadable/XBLA:
Shadow Complex
Pac-Man Championship Edition: DX (seriously)
Trials HD

There are literally dozens more that I am forgetting. But, if you must by one - get Battlefield 3 or FIFA 12 so you can join everyone else! :)

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Also from XBLA:
Geometry Wars 1 & 2. If you only want to go with one of them, grab the 2nd one. Awesome arcade style games.
GT = Wilk5280

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Paul,

Don't forget some of the cheap Xbox live Indie games. Their are several Lacrosse games available for cheap including a licensed NLL indoor game...all the Lacrosse games are $5 and while they weren't designed by a big studio, they are decent for the price. There is also an indoor soccer game called SFG soccer which is pretty fun, it's $5 as well.
Also I'd recommend the new Rugby Challenge, game just recently came out but is dropping in price. You were a huge fan of Rugby 06 if I remember, so you will definitely like Rugby Challenge.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Welcome back, you cheap f***! Battlefield tonight!
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

PK -

(that's a great deal on that Bundle system for $199. That's been tempting me all day)

Shift 2 on sale today at the EA store for $14.99

http://store.origin.com/store/ea/en_US/ ... .174902100
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Thanks for all the GREAT suggestions, fellas. It feels really good to be back gaming among buds.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Are you going to let the kids try it out a little?

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Just off the top of my head, I'd agree about Bioshock 1 being a special game. It's creepy, it's fun, it's not too challenging but it can kick your ass at times, and I found the story to be very interesting and really well revealed. The atmosphere is unique and very well done as well, probably the best part of the game.

Orange Box is also exemplary, particularly for Portal which is in a class of its own. It's no big budget game at all, but more of an experiment in FPS-with-a-different-kind-of-gun turned into a really well paced puzzler, with a hilariously engaging story that is revealed in unusual ways. It has unquestionably one of the most satisfying endings I've experienced in a game, and many parts are exhilarating with all the flying around. Probably wouldn't take you more than eight or ten hours total, if that, to play through it and the 'developers commentary' version of each chapter is very interesting to check out. Also on that disc is Half Life 2, which is the big budget behemoth, and while uneven at times, the beginning is extraordinary. I personally really enjoyed the middle parts but I can see how many found that section bland and boring, but certain areas of the game are just classic and should be played through. It's top notch FPS, no doubt. Episode 1 is pretty poor, IMO, but Episode 2 is just as good as HL2 itself, albeit very short. Plus HL2 has both Louis Gosset Jr and Benson in the cast. Benson! (Robert Guillaume, of course).

Left for Dead, I'd stay away from. It's pretty awesome and I have great memories of playing it, in fact I miss it quite a bit, but there's no point unless you have two or three good buddies to play it with online. It's no good for single player.

I really enjoyed and played the hell out of Red Faction Guerilla. It's a 3rd person shooter with some driving a là GTA but with crazy destructible environments and after a pretty slow start I found it to be tons of fun and rarely frustratingly hard.

I also played the crap out of Just Cause, the original, which I was probably one of about ten in the world to complete. It's also a GTA style, open world 3rd person game, and while it is very uneven and can drag, there was something about the openness and the craziness of its vertical acrobatics and flying around that made it crazy fun for me and kept me coming back. There's just nothing else like taking a jet up to its highest altitude, jumping out, and free falling all the way down to the surface only to pull out the parachute at the last instant. Exhilarating! While I didn't play Just Cause 2, all accounts are that it's more of the same, only better in every way.

Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 have been mentioned, but I just don't see you getting into them at all, seeing as they are scifi games and pretty wonky RPGs.

I actually enjoyed Splinter Cell Double Agent's single player quite a bit more than I had other SC games, plus if you get that one it might give me a good excuse to try to rally the troops for another trip down memory lane with that game's totally unique and unparalleled asymmetrical multiplayer. :D

The original Crackdown was much like crack. Tons of fun, lots to do; especially fun was hunting down the orbs you could collect. It's also got a wonderful vertical element and eschews difficulty and the frustrations of challenge for open world fun and giving you that superhero feeling. I never played the newer one, but the first is remembered pretty fondly by most, I'd imagine.

Sports-wise I can't recommend any older, cheaper versions over their current counterparts, but I do hope you'll consider joining Danimal's DSPFL Online Franchise in Madden. We are almost near the end of season one so you can jump in pretty soon in the offseason if not right away. Then, if you take the Bills, you can trade me Fitzpatrick on the cheap! :P

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I don't know how old your kids are but if they're into the CARS movies, get CARS 2 for XB. That game looks awesome on HD, it's like you're watching the animated movie while playing it. It's more like Mario Kart racing but a great kids game.

Also BLUR is a really fun game I enjoy. It's totally arcade but a great family fun game. My wife even plays it once in a while.

GET DIRT 3 AT BB NOW! 14.99! IT'S A STEAL. IT'S BACK ONLINE TOO IF YOU WANT TO GO THAT WAY.

Want a great cheap soccer game - WORLD CUP 2010 .

Into baseball? Forget 2k - I just play HH2004 from XB. You can get it at gamestop for ....... I know you'll like this.........1cent!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Inuyasha wrote:Want a great cheap soccer game - WORLD CUP 2010.
Agreed. If you can't find Fifa 12 on sale you can't go wrong with this one. Still have it and I spin it from time 2 time for fun.