Gears of War 3

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Gears of War 3

Post by Teal »

Who's getting it next week?
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Gears of War 3

Post by Spooky »

Hmmmmm...I have only seen very limited footage but to me it looks too much like 'more of the same'. Am I missing something?

I loved this series but ultimately tired of it quicker than most other shooters. Convince me that 3 will be different...
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Actually, f*ck it. I'm getting it. It looks awesome. :)

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I never finished the campaign of GOW2. I've cancelled my gamefly and am thinking about restarting it just to play through games like this I will probably enjoy but don't love.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I am on the fence, too, especially since Amazon has a $20 gift card offer if you pre-order. But while I loved the first one, I had the same reaction as Spooky with #2, that it felt more like an expansion pack than a new game. I got bored about halfway through and didn't finish. Part of me wants to get it, part of me wants to just keep playing Madden and finish some other unfinished games (Fallout NV and maybe Mass Effect 2) before the triple 3 of Uncharted/Battfield/CoD hit in November.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Yeah, my biggest problem with getting it is that BF3 is looming large just a month after this one, and that's where my bread and butter online play will be. I like Gears, was in on the beta, even. It felt like more of the same, really. They've added a couple new wrinkles, and that looks like fun, but I decided that I'd just GF it for now; if I go gaga over it, I'll buy it then.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Teal wrote:Yeah, my biggest problem with getting it is that BF3 is looming large just a month after this one, and that's where my bread and butter online play will be. I like Gears, was in on the beta, even. It felt like more of the same, really. They've added a couple new wrinkles, and that looks like fun, but I decided that I'd just GF it for now; if I go gaga over it, I'll buy it then.
Oh if you played the Beta and are not super stoked then i probably will hold of since BF3 is soon after. I don't GF anymore so...

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Teal wrote:Who's getting it next week?
Yep. I had it pre-ordered but with Resistance 3 still in the wraps and the bunch of Sports games from EA that is taking my time, I wonder if I will have the time to dig into it right away.
Last edited by 10spro on Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

No Spook, I'm not super stoked. It was fun, don't get me wrong, but it was Gears. I want to play it to wrap up the story in SP, but online, unless we can fill a room with DSP'ers, won't last for me. In that beta, people were whipping my ass most of the time. And given that my finances are EXTREMELY limited right now, whatever games I spend 60 bones on have got to have really long legs. Just not sure this one will. We'll see what the reviews say...

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Brando70 wrote:...before the triple 3 of Uncharted/Battfield/CoD hit in November.
Right there (minus COD) is why I won't be getting it. I have Madden and NHL12 to hold me over sports wise...and I have BFBC2 to keep me busy as my shooter of choice. I joined FIFA and some of his squad mates last night for some HARDCORE Conquest. It was intense. Needless to say me and my 11 rank got schooled but it was fun as hell. Hardcore is pretty hard f'n core! I am pumped for BF3 more than any other shooter in a LONG while. Uncharted 3 will be bad ass too. I played the MP beta and it was damn cool.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

After watching some videos, and looking at all the new tweaks to online modes (especially Horde 2.0-wow), I went ahead and preordered it. 4 player co-op in story and in horde will keep this one going longer than I had thought. I didn't know about 4 man co-op in story til last night. Actually looking forward to it now!
The beta only had 2 or 3 maps, and the style of play didn't include all the new stuff. Think they just wanted to balance the core gameplay.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Spooky wrote:Actually, f*ck it. I'm getting it. It looks awesome. :)
:wink:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Want to spend a better $60 on Gears? get the board game it is fantastic. See my review here.

http://www.oldboardgamers.com/2011/revi ... s-worth-it
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I didn't even realize it was coming out next week. I went to Best Buy to trade in some games for NHL 12 and they ended up having a good trade in deal that helped pay for more than half of GOW 3. I could not pass it up.

I traded in NCAA 12, BLOPS, and UFC Personal Trainer for $69 and ended up getting an extra 50% for reserving Gears. I was even able to use the credit I got for the $5 deposit. This is the second time I have traded in games at Best Buy and the second time they have blown away Gamestop with what they gave me.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

ScoopBrady wrote:I didn't even realize it was coming out next week. I went to Best Buy to trade in some games for NHL 12 and they ended up having a good trade in deal that helped pay for more than half of GOW 3. I could not pass it up.

I traded in NCAA 12, BLOPS, and UFC Personal Trainer for $69 and ended up getting an extra 50% for reserving Gears. I was even able to use the credit I got for the $5 deposit. This is the second time I have traded in games at Best Buy and the second time they have blown away Gamestop with what they gave me.
What kind of deal did BB have on trade ins?

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

ScoopBrady wrote:I didn't even realize it was coming out next week. I went to Best Buy to trade in some games for NHL 12 and they ended up having a good trade in deal that helped pay for more than half of GOW 3. I could not pass it up.

I got the same deal. They are giving 40% additional on trades if you reserve anything, but 50% on trades if you put $5 down on Gears. I got $90 for NCAA, Deus Ex and get this, Backbreaker which gleaned me $9!! I was more excited about that than the $39 i got for NCAA.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The game is getting solid reviews. Gamespot gave it a 9.5 saying the campaign was awesome. IGN gave it a 9.0 and commented that the campaign is solid and pretty long like 10-20 hours depending on skill. The best part is that the game scales really well if you like to go Rambo when playing FPS. Music to my ears since I suck at FPS. :)

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Looking very forward to picking this up tomorrow after watching Gamespot's video review. Need one more victim-er, player to do some 4 man co op. Anyone gonna be game for a night or two of nonstop campaign action?

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Standing in line at my local GameStop right now. Jesus, I feel pathetic. Lol. I almost walked out. Looking around at all these punks that talk sh*t to me online is creeping me out. I'm in a pretty mixed hood in the city and I have to say...I am truly scared for the future of mankind.

Midnight launches are truly bizzarre.

But Gears looks frickin' sweet! :wink:

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Yeah, I quit midnight launches a good while back. Whodini said it right: The freaks come out at night... :twisted:

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

Wow. I was on the fence as Gears 2 didn't get any time with me for some reason after finishing the original. That review has me ready to head over to BB at 10 to pick up my reserve even though I woke up this morning not planning on doing so.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Spent about an hour or so with the game last night. I have not been this immediately impressed in a LONG time. First off, the game looks unbelievable. I mean, it's off the charts gorgeous! I never thought they could make it look better than 2 and it looks much better.

The interface and menu as well as options and party system are top notch. Just super slick. This really is a AAA title.

I played team deathmatch only last night. The few maps I played were absolutely incredible. Gameplay felt like Gears but maybe a tad tighter and responsive. Weapons are as insane as ever. And even in the limited time I played, the versus stuff felt a bit more balanced.

I briefly joined in a campaign game with randoms online in the new 'Arcade' mode. F'in sweet! Love the idea of not only playing the main game with others but getting points and scores adds a fun new element.

I had forgotten about all the fun nights playing Gears 2 with the DSP crew and those moments all came back last night even playing with randoms! Man, i hope a lot of you guys get this thing so we can have some SICK DSP sessions soon!!!!!

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Yep! Was able to grab this a little early yesterday after work and put in a few rounds online and loved it. Played about 30 minutes of the single player campaign and it seems to be the same thing as the previous two, but still a lot of fun. Online though, man! I really like how the stats are implemented and all of the ribbons and medals available for you to earn. Just adds that little extra push to want to play one more round before calling it a night.

If you intend on playing some Gears 3 online please add me to your FL.
GT = Wilk5280

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

RallyMonkey wrote:Wow. I was on the fence as Gears 2 didn't get any time with me for some reason after finishing the original. That review has me ready to head over to BB at 10 to pick up my reserve even though I woke up this morning not planning on doing so.
Let me know, I finished Gears 1, but haven't even played Gears 2 yet.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Got it home, put the two year old down for a nap (so as not to scar her permanently!), and fired up campaign mode. Wow. Already worlds better than 2, in terms of story. Graphics are fantastic, gameplay is tighter, new enemies are OMG worthy. Gonna play some 4 player co op with some friends tonight in the story, try to get through that in a night or two, then jump into MP. Can't wait!