OT: Neighbor's dog rant/plea for help

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: Neighbor's dog rant/plea for help

Post by ScoopBrady »

The neighbors behind us just got 2 new dogs. The problem is that one of these dogs is a constant barker. I don't mind so much during the day but every morning since they got these dogs my wife and I have been woken up by this dog's barking. I think between 6:30 and 7:00 a.m. is unreasonable to be woken up every morning by a barking dog. We are starting to lose sleep and I am becoming cranky and easily agitated every day as a result. I understand that dogs need to go to the bathroom but they don't need to be outside barking for anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour that early in the morning.

The neighbors on each side of me have dogs that bark and are annoying at times but that is limited to appropriate hours so we could care less. If the dog started barking at 8:00 a.m. I wouldn't care so much. I wake up at 7:00 on days I workout so getting to sleep in on the few days I don't workout is a treat. That treat is gone. My wife wakes up at 7:45, or I should say used to wake up at 7:45 before this dog entered our life. Either way one, or both. of us are effected by this dog every morning.

Has anybody gone through a similar situation? Aren't there noise ordinances? Would this fall into any kind of violation? I have heard that the police don't really get involved in these types of matters. Is this true? I am seriously at my wits end with this and want to avoid killing a dog. (Easy, Jack, it's a joke... kind of :lol: )

I know the first suggestion will likely be to try talking to the neighbors. I am hesitant because they don't speak English very well from what I understand and other neighbors on the street have had no success confronting them numerous times about their delinquent son. I cannot attest to the delinquency of the son as I have had no problems with him.

So, thanks for reading my rant and thanks for any suggestions or knowledge you may share.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Pete
Starting 5
Starting 5

Re: OT: Neighbor's dog rant/plea for help

Post by Pete »

Are the people that own the barking dog home when the dog is barking?

If they are, how in the world do they just let the dog bark for that long? It would bug the hell out of me.

I have handled it a few different ways. If they are home, I would just lean out the back door and yell for the dog to shut up. Barbaric? Yes, but it gets the point across that it is bothering you and probably others. The owners obviously have to hear you yelling.

If they were not home, I would get my hose out and when the dog barked, soak him. This would take a few times, but eventually the dog would stop barking. You are pretty much teaching the dog that his barking is not tollerable.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Pete on Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

They are most certainly home when this happens. They let the dogs out early and leave them there for 30 minutes to an hour. The one just barks constantly. It's a yippy dog so it's a high-pitched bark. Not that a low-pitched bark would be better. I asked my wife the same question about how they could just leave the dogs out there and she said the damn thing probably barks like that in the house too.
I am a patient boy.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Get a BB gun.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Scoop I have had a similar issue for years. neighbors behind us has a business called Bark Busters. They constantly have dogs back there and leave them out forever barking. Sometimes they go away for the weekend and leave 3-4 dogs out there for the whole weekend unattended.

I've called the police a dozen times, called animal control. They have gotten a few tickets, once we called the cop because one of the dogs jumped the fence and came in our yard and scared a bunch of kids. The cop came, told my wife she wasn't a dog person and went to talk to the owners and the dog bit him. He gave them a $500 ticket.

Nothing has changed though, they constantly have gods out there. Part of me wants to just roll some rat poison up in some bolonga and toos it over the fence. But I know it's not the dogs fault it is the owners. I'm not sure how they get away with a home business like that to be honest.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

We had a similar situation happen to us a couple years ago. There was a neighboring dog that used to crap on our lawn. The neighbors would let the dog run free and pee and poop wherever it so pleased. I probably handled it wrong, but I resolved the problem. I wrote an anonymous letter (and left it in their mail box) on behalf of the subdivision about not picking up after your dog. It worked and the only person I pissed off was the wife. So, job well done IMO.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

In LA, there are city ordinances against constant barking. You basically report your neighbor & they get a warning in the mail. If it continues, they eventual get a fine, etc.. I'd imagine Chicago has something similar.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

WillHunting
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by WillHunting »

Get a bigger/louder dog.
+++++++++++++++
Gamertag: The Praxis
+++++++++++++++

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Call animal control or the cops. Or throw a sirloin tenderized with rat poison in the backyard. That'll teach 'em. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Have a similar problem. Neighbor has 2 dogs, they always howl and bark when they hear fire engines. But also they get up like 5am and just start howling and barking daily. I guess I just got use to it, but it was a annoyance first few months or so.

Maybe talk to the other neighbors and see if they are also disturbed by these dogs. You mentioned some don't talk english but at least try to get one other to side with you. It's better to go into a fight with a coalition than by yourself.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I have 3 dogs and they bark.. one really barks, so I let them out about 7am and immediately make them come back in after they do their thing. I agree, it's rude to let them sit out there and bark for hours.

We had a dog that lived behind us in our old house that used to bark around 2 am - until one day my wife opened up the back window and said, "Either shut that fcking dog up or I'm going to shoot it" Never heard it again.. LOL!

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

sportdan30 wrote:We had a similar situation happen to us a couple years ago. There was a neighboring dog that used to crap on our lawn. The neighbors would let the dog run free and pee and poop wherever it so pleased. I probably handled it wrong, but I resolved the problem. I wrote an anonymous letter (and left it in their mail box) on behalf of the subdivision about not picking up after your dog. It worked and the only person I pissed off was the wife. So, job well done IMO.
We had a similar issue where we used to live. You handled it more PC than I did. I mentioned the issue to the owner and he denied it. Later that week I caught the dog going #2 in our yard while the owner was standing out on his back porch. He never came over the clean it up. Later that week I collected all the dog poo from our yard and left it in a pile on his front porch. :)

It worked. No more dog poo in our yard after that.

Not sure what to do about your particular situation Scoop. What language do they speak well? Maybe learn how to say "shut your dog up!" in that language and keep yelling that when you hear the dogs. The hose is a godd idea for training, but if it's not your dog I wouldn't reccommend it. Maybe use the hose on the owners ;)
-Matt

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

MizzouRah wrote:We had a dog that lived behind us in our old house that used to bark around 2 am - until one day my wife opened up the back window and said, "Either shut that fcking dog up or I'm going to shoot it" Never heard it again.. LOL!
I like it!!!

I think the banding together of a neighbors is a good idea.

Also, would suck to pay to shut up someone else's dog, but are any of those anti-bark products worthwhile? I suppose neighbors could even chip in for it.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

You can call on them and be anonymous, they will warn them and see if any other complaints come out , but more than likely its cause they are new and hopefully will settle down after a while , it does drive you nuts and happens a lot around me lately as people come and go with this housing market. Ive got it on 2 sides scoop its really frustrating when you know they are home and just let them bark cant even enjoy your own back yard sometimes.

spooky157
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by spooky157 »

You can try using one of those electronic anti-barking devices

https://www.buybarkoff.com

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Cierra la boca de su perro de mierda!

Translation from Spanish: Shut your f*cking dog's mouth!

Thank you, Google Translate. :)

http://translate.google.com/#
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

pk500 wrote:Cierra la boca de su perro de mierda!

Translation from Spanish: Shut your f*cking dog's mouth!

Thank you, Google Translate. :)

http://translate.google.com/#
But that's too lenient. 'La proxima vez, te mato el perro' 8)

NoJoke
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by NoJoke »

Danimal wrote:Scoop I have had a similar issue for years. neighbors behind us has a business called Bark Busters. They constantly have dogs back there and leave them out forever barking. Sometimes they go away for the weekend and leave 3-4 dogs out there for the whole weekend unattended.

I've called the police a dozen times, called animal control. They have gotten a few tickets, once we called the cop because one of the dogs jumped the fence and came in our yard and scared a bunch of kids. The cop came, told my wife she wasn't a dog person and went to talk to the owners and the dog bit him. He gave them a $500 ticket.

Nothing has changed though, they constantly have gods out there. Part of me wants to just roll some rat poison up in some bolonga and toos it over the fence. But I know it's not the dogs fault it is the owners. I'm not sure how they get away with a home business like that to be honest.
Is your neighborhood zoned for commercial purposes? You may have some luck with the zoning officials if you can establish they are operating a commercial entity in an area zoned residential. Some states are stricter than others on these things. When I lived in CT, the zoning ordinances were very strictly enforced and a commercial business in a residential area would have been shut down pretty quick.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

Crap dog owners really piss me off. I love dogs, but don't love noisy ones and ones that are not on a leash and totally controlled by the owner. The first reaction to barking dogs for a lot of people is to be mad at the dogs, but the dogs are just doing what dogs do. The owners are obviously irresponsible and I would be mad as hell at them if I were in your shoes. We have ordinances about barking dogs where I live and they seem to work well since people do not want stiff fines. If I were you I would call the police and get them involved before trying to handle it yourself. If that does not lead to any result then call a councilperson and discuss the issue. I suppose you could always ask them nicely to be more mindful of their dogs' barking before calling the cops, but people can be such fruitloops these days that you never know how they might react.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Print this picture out and place it on the window that faces the dogs :

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Found out that the girl who lives there is in my daughters class. I don't want to cause any potential problems for my daughter so I think we'll start with an anonymous letter asking for some understanding. If that doesn't help the next step will likely be a call to the police. Thanks for the suggestions so far guys.
I am a patient boy.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Lancer wrote:Print this picture out and place it on the window that faces the dogs :

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Teal wrote:Get a BB gun.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Lancer wrote:Print this picture out and place it on the window that faces the dogs :

:lol:

I'm still laughing... :lol:

NoJoke
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by NoJoke »

Rodster wrote:
Teal wrote:Get a BB gun.
Only if you are shooting it at the negligent owner ....