The Beautiful Game Thread 10/11

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

The Beautiful Game Thread 10/11

Post by JRod »

Since it's no longer World Cup time...

:)

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The Beautiful Game Thread 10/11

Post by JRod »

Newcastle hit Villa for 6. Hahaha!

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

ManU is up on Fulham and our boy Dempsey is playing for Fulham. :)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

So what are your guys thoughts on the MLS signing Rafa and Henry? Is it good for the league? Funny how our guys are starting to play over there.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

PK is a happy man today. :)

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Macca00 wrote:PK is a happy man today. :)
Was it Villa that let in 8 against a loss to Chelsea in the final game of the season last year? I can't remember.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Macca00 wrote:PK is a happy man today. :)
And like Arsenal yesterday, they could have added a few more if it wasn't for Friedel. 6-0 seems to be the common score for the routs in the first couple of weeks, hey FIFA which ball is the EPL using? 8)

I gotta admit that D. Drogba could have scored another hat-trick easily yesterday but showed his unselfish side and the Blues looked impressive again.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Villa are France get ready for the implosion :twisted: thanks Martin.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

It was a beautiful day at St. James's Park today.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

I hope you appreciate the work that City put in on your behalf, sending Richard Dunne (known by City fans as 'HMS Dunne' owing to him having the turning circle of a battleship) and the utterly majestic Steven Ireland, who managed to get bossed out of the midfield by Alan Smith.

Talking of FIFA, goal line technology can't come quickly enough, saved Spurs two points yesterday.

Nice to see Massive Humongous Debt FC get a point at Fulham - as usual their best players were Dubious Penalty and their most effective striker, Own Goal. No mention on Match of the Day of the two penalties that Fulham were denied, of course. Sir Alex of the Purple Nose has also drawn a fine as he's continuing to refuse to attend post match press conferences - so he's making do with just the one bottle of Bell's tonight.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

JRod wrote:Newcastle hit Villa for 6. Hahaha!
A hat trick for my now-favorite greasy mullet in the EPL, Andy Carroll! My favorite felon, Joey Barton, opened the scoring. :)

Mullets, felonies and a 6-0 victory. Talk on the Tyne now will be of Champions League qualification this season. :roll:
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Macca - your boys took one HELL of a beating at Eastland :D

Gutless and disinterested. though didn't help that Mascherano has 'gone on strike' after being illegally approached by Barcelona, who've offered a slightly cheeky £12m for him.
Anyone who believes that James Milner isn't streets better than Steven Ireland should compare the two performances over the weekend.

Four of the six signings not required tonight, got another game on Thursday. And that, folks, is the point of having a squad.

So c'mon Fernando, join the party...you know you want to. We'll even send Adebayor the other way for them.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Last year Liverpool took more or less the same to Eastlands and tied 0-0, thank God this year though in the post game conference our manager didn't have a silly Spanish accent - that's the most important thing. Also nice to see we abandoned that useless zonal marking so now we won't conceded any goals from set pieces.

Well, at least with an English manager we'll have that fighting English spirit and not give up. I mean, at least that's what the color commentators and 'analysts' say. Thank God we got rid of that Benitez guy, he was so crap he's probably managing some SPL side. What's that? He's managing the European Champions? Oh.
C'Mon Blackpool...oh, wait. f*** me.

Coming into the season I had zero expectations and I fully expect this to be the first of many sound beatings this season.

Dave,
You don't need Torres, you have Balottelli. :)

Interesting to see Stephen Ireland blasting Mancini for being 'cold' and not 'close' to the players - especially since all the top managers are best mates with their players - just like Sir Alex, you could never imagine him doing something like throwing a boot at a player's head or selling someone overnight the moment they talk about being tapped up.

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

Can´t see Mascherano getting a regular game for Barca. Mind you. I´ve been wrong before...

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

This season is an organizational death rattle. 3/4 of the squad looked to be playing with an eye on the door, and understandably so. If anything, the lingering talent left in the squad is only covering the gaping wound in the center of the organization. Can't imagine a harder job than the one facing Hodgson, trying to steer a traditional power through a season where there is no hope of financial backing and nothing but ill-fortune on the horizon as a result of the lack of wherewithal to buy any depth.

As in baseball, the real luxury of a rich team is to be able to cast off or cover up your missed calls on talent. LFC doesn't have that option and the gulf between them and the class of the league is only going to get worse before it (hopefully) gets better.

Still, there was no excuse for some of the "football" on display. Lucas should never be allowed to wear the shirt again after that performance. I'd sell him at the drop of a hat. If he were French or Irish, nobody would give him a second look.

And I've really seen more than enough of Glen Johnson at this point. Wretched beyond words.

Incidentally, if Rafa had done anything as tactically daft as playing 4-4-2 with two strikers who are lousy at dropping back against a 4-5-1, the English press would've roasted him whole. Probably also not best that Uncle Roy also started a concussed center-half at LB against one of the most dynamic right winger's in the EPL.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

miget33
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by miget33 »

um Dave, who in their right minds ever said Milner and Ireland were on the same talent level? I never heard anyone say it.

Also my fantasy team is ahead of your fantasy team :)
[url=http://twitter.com/CPatt20]Twitter[/url]

[url=http://mexinjtown.blogspot.com/]My Blog[/url]

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

I believe last year i predicted a mid table finish after the first game and we have added lets see Joe if im not diving im banned Cole, hmmm lets see.
But yes Macca Benitez is gone praise the lord.

Dave how dare you let Purple nose in the stadium, he sent Peter Reid down to chat up Adebyor but all he told him was take of your Arsenal t shirt, but pulease i will swap you a Torres for an Adebyor anyday and i will even throw in a Ngog just so Hodgeson only has one choice.

I think i might become a City fan is that allowed?

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

miget33 wrote:um Dave, who in their right minds ever said Milner and Ireland were on the same talent level? I never heard anyone say it.
I take it you don't get Sky Sports then :wink:

Song of the night to Torres - "You're just a s*** Balotelli !" :D

As for the Scots Drunk, anyone noticed that he looked increasingly sick every time the cameras flicked to him. It's either because the bar refused to serve him methylated spirits in a pint pot, or because he can see the future approaching like a train...and it's not red.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

ok Simo, since our teams are both out of the pointless CArling Cup, it is time for the revenge of 2005.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Didn't realise Nicky Weaver was with the Owls now. I take it all local pie shops have been asked not to serve him ?

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Rodster wrote:So what are your guys thoughts on the MLS signing Rafa and Henry? Is it good for the league? Funny how our guys are starting to play over there.
If you're asking me, I'm very happy about it. But I'm a RBNY season ticket holder, so I'm just psyched to go see these guys play week in and week out. It sure makes for much more enjoyable football for me, anyway! In general, though, there have been quite a few good new signings into the league after the WC, younger players than past big names, and that combined with some youth systems now finally putting some players into the senior teams (and putting pressure on those laggard teams who have poor or no youth development) and slowly but surely the league is getting a little bit better, more competitive, and more fun to watch.

MACTEPsporta
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by MACTEPsporta »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHoYUCnl ... r_embedded

Even the referees dive in Brazil. Must be an instinct

I forgot how to embed a video... Sorry )))

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Nice article on contemporary Argentine football by the peerless Jonathan Wilson.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... CMP=twt_gu
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

RobVarak wrote:Nice article on contemporary Argentine football by the peerless Jonathan Wilson.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... CMP=twt_gu

Couldn't agreed more. Funny enough I was watching that game myself as my struggling Boca Juniors were away, but River-Independiente had it all. I've said it before, I rather watch these guys sweat it out week in and out while respecting the culture of how to treat properly a football instead of some overpaid half a$$es in the EPL, or Seria A. Despite losing badly to Germany in the WC, Maradona never went to a defensive mode knowing fully well that the D was not up to par with the speed of the Germans.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

That's because he's not a good manager.

Spurs thumped the Young Boys 4-0 to go thru to the CL group stages. Hat-trick for Crouch, 4 assists for Bale, and a big ol' handball from Defoe.