Homefront (aka a Red Dawn videogame experience)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Homefront (aka a Red Dawn videogame experience)

Post by ScoopBrady »

Guys get back on track and take anything else to the pm's.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

Agreed with Scoop, take it to PMs.
Danimal wrote:It's really funny how your posting style, from the way you selectively quote items, post bits of articles without posting a link is similar to another poster on these boards. Almost like you guys are one in the same.

I'm done with you, go back to your great contributions to this site, you'll hear no more from me.
Just to be clear about the extremely unsubtle insinuations, there's no evidence that vinny-b is any other poster on these forums. The distribution of IP addresses is completely different from other subtly referenced users, and no evidence (that I've found) of proxy usage.

Danimal, if you suspect that someone is posting under multiple usernames, or have evidence suggesting that someone is posting under multiple accounts, send me a PM and I'll look into it. Otherwise, stop with the baseless accusations.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

PM sent.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Opening scene pretty intense, disturbing (particularly one moment, you'd know it when you see it).

I like the way shooting feels. If multi is cool (didn't have a chance to try it), it may be a keeper.

I was surprised that there was no difficulty level? I was going to switch it to whatever was the hardest, in order to stretch out the experience, but seems like there's nothing there.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

Homefront for $42.95 with shipping included (via Walmart.com)

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Slumberland wrote:Opening scene pretty intense, disturbing (particularly one moment, you'd know it when you see it).

I like the way shooting feels. If multi is cool (didn't have a chance to try it), it may be a keeper.

I was surprised that there was no difficulty level? I was going to switch it to whatever was the hardest, in order to stretch out the experience, but seems like there's nothing there.
I just got my copy from Gamefly and popped it in. From the main menu select Options then Game Settings and there is a Campaign Difficulty setting. Choices are Easy, Normal, Hard, and Guerilla. Default is Normal.
I am a patient boy.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Got it from Gamefly and played it for probably 45 minutes tonight. It didn't wow me, but I didn't dislike it. I can see some of the shock value stuff they're going for, and some of it is pretty disturbing, but for me it just looked and felt a bit like a dated shooter...like I was playing something from 5 years ago on an old school DSP Revival night.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I had a pretty similar experience to Terry's. Played for about 30 minutes and felt it was perfect for a rental. Nothing that wowed me and pretty much in line with the CoD's and MoH's of the world as a single-player experience. It even included a major annoyance I have with those single-player campaigns as well, which is the lose-control-during-an-explosion-while-being-disoriented trick.

I haven't checked out MP yet but I'm pretty sure I can for a little bit without having to buy the game or buy an online pass. I'll probably just plow through the main story and return it. Hell, I still haven't finished the Blops campaign yet.
I am a patient boy.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I don't think this game is any worse then Black Ops I just think people's expectations were too high. I like the MP because it is like Mag which is one I like on the PS3
Follow Me on:

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

I think the story is great, but that the game is terrible.
GT = Wilk5280

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Danimal wrote:I don't think this game is any worse then Black Ops I just think people's expectations were too high. I like the MP because it is like Mag which is one I like on the PS3
I'm no huge Black Ops fan, but as far as visuals and presentation go, Homefront is leagues behind it IMO. I don't play enough shooters to really notice differences from game to game other than cover systems, etc., so I thought it looked like a much older and basic game. I haven't played Black Ops in a month or two, but I seem to recall it looking a lot better than this one.

You're probably right on the expecations, Dan. I think it's almost plagued by the opposite scenario of games that have almost no publicity behind them--gems that would have sold better had anybody known about them and whatnot due to non-existent advertising budgets. I think this one had been so hyped for so long that it's almost impossible to not have expectations for it to be something bigger than it is. A victim of its own hype, like so many games these days.

For a casual shooter fan, it is certainly a 'decent' game, but nowhere near what I assumed it would be based on the "HOME IS WHERE THE WAR IS!!!" ads and banners that I'd been bombarded with for the past few months.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I'm playing it on the PC which might be why the graphics don't look bad to me.
Follow Me on:

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

One day Steam Sale for $15 - worth a pick up? I'm not going to play the multi-player.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Macca00 wrote:One day Steam Sale for $15 - worth a pick up? I'm not going to play the multi-player.
I think it is worth $15. I finished it, it's short though like 6-8 hours depending on your skill. The PC version is nicer looking then the console by far. I would guess this one will be cheaper during the holiday sale though.
Follow Me on:

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Danimal wrote: I would guess this one will be cheaper during the holiday sale though.
After thinking about it I agree with you - even if I bought it now I probably wouldn't play through it until the holidays - and then it might be even cheaper.

Thanks for the reply, Dan. :)

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Yes the holiday sale is my favorite time on Steam and I usually end up buying 20 games or so. There are a bunch of things I am just holding out on because they have to come down.

Game of Thrones
EYE
Rock of Ages
MM 6
Follow Me on:

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

EXTREMELY late to the party on this one, but the MP is killer! The SP was not bad, not great by any stretch, but not bad. But man, oh, man, do I love the Ground Control in MP! It's basically Battlefield, but it just 'feels' better to me in some way. Not a bad way to blow 8 bucks. :D
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

I was also late to the party (had impressions on my http://maccasgaming.blogspot.ca/2012/07 ... t-360.html) - single player had some good parts but was way too short (3 and a half hours!). I also liked the multiplayer but I bought it used (err...I mean pre-owned) so you can only play for the first 5 levels before you have to buy a pass.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

I didn't see a thread for the sequel to Homefront, Homefront Revolution, so I thought I'd resurrect this one and give a review.

It's been fun trying to even remember the original Homefront. I gushed about the MP, but honestly have no memory of playing it. I even watched videos, and nope. Must be getting old ..lol.

I tried Revolution a couple years back, but got stuck on one mission I just couldn't get beyond, and lost interest. I think it might have been on game pass, because I didn't own it.
Anyway, the whole package went on sale for 3.99, with three DLC campaigns included, so hell, for 4 bucks I'll try it again.

Easily the best 4 bucks I've spent on a game...lol.

The main campaign is LONG. And the story is satisfying. It does look a little dated, and the AI can be suspect at times, but it's still a lot of fun to kick the North Koreans in the teeth and reclaim Philadelphia.

It's largely free roam, as you can tackle missions in most any order you choose, though the "story missions" are, obviously, preset. There are a lot of sub missions, points to capture, and bounties you can take up around the story missions, and the more ground you take, the easier the story mission winds up being.

The DLC is cleverly done, as it's portions of the story from different people and angles, telling parts that weren't in the main campaign.

There is also co-op, which is fairly straightforward, but fun. It's not in the campaign, but many of the places in the story are part of the campaign as well.

I really don't know why this Red Dawn type of gameplay isn't tried more often. It's one thing to go overseas and battle insurgents. It's quite another when your homeland is attacked, and you become the insurgent. I forget the name of the other game on Xbox that had the US invaded, and you had to lead a resistance group to take it back, but it was awesome.

This one is really good. Technically, sure, there are some niggles. But taken as a whole, I was really surprised at how much I have enjoyed it.

And I did get past that damned mission this time.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

I bought this (base game) super cheap a couple of years ago. It wasn't the best game ever, but definitely a ridiculous value for the $5 I paid. I enjoyed my time with it. I thought it looked pretty good at the time. I really liked the way you could change your guns around from pistol to sniper rifle to AR. Not realistic obviously, but fun.

I guess it was sh*t when it released with bugs and glitches. Bad reviews kept people away so you never heard much about it. Luckily they updated it well and we got a good experience for super cheap. :D I'll never understand why these companies spend so much time and money to make a game only to release it before it is finished and risk the bad publicity.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Yeah, I dunno either. But I do love the switching out weapon parts. You'd have 100 pounds of gear hanging all over you, but hey, whatever. Lol.

I really dig the game though.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

8 year thread revival!