Homefront (aka a Red Dawn videogame experience)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Homefront (aka a Red Dawn videogame experience)

Post by vinny-b »

NP, Scoop.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

Homefront is most pre-ordered title in THQ history.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/03/homef ... q-history/

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

MS Xbox World - 8.5
Quote:

"Kaos Studios should be proud as they have done a highly commendable job of reinventing ideas we've seen in Frontlines , piecing them into a more cohesive palatable story and releasing a new game which feels accomplished and easy to play... The subject matter could be seen as topical for the sake of it, if you take off the cynical spectacles and just bask in what's thrown at you, you'll find a comprehensive, substantiated game which is well worth the investment."

OPM Italy - 9/10
Quote:

One of the most intense, emotional experiences of 2011.

Xbox Addict - 93%

Quote:

THQ has already set personal records for preorders and I have no doubt that Homefront will be their hit this year. Combining so many elements into such a cohesive story, THQ has reminded me why I love gaming.

HardGame - 9.5

Quote:

If you are a lover of FPS, Homefront is a must-have that you should not miss. The plot grabs us from the first moment because of how strong it is and the great atmosphere that was generated around this fictional, futuristic context. If we add an extremely fun game concept, a variety of amazing action sequences and a multiplayer mode that will be placed in the top of each platform, and clear the good that has resulted in this title Kaos Studios. From HardGame2 and we fervently hope the arrival of a sequel, because if something has gotten Homefront is surprising and captivating from the beginning. Meanwhile, continue to enjoy the multiplayer.

Multiplayer.it - 8.5

Quote:

Homefront succeeds in creating a believable and fascinating universe, to be used as a starting point for a series that we hope will grow in its future releases. For the moment the campaign for single player is well made, entertaining for what it is but a too short duration and with a few flaws of youth that would have deserved more attention. The multiplayer is placed without fear competing with the other greats, bringing an experience capable of entertaining thanks to a set of well-oiled mechanical one another. Finally, we were pleasantly surprised by the work of conversion of the PC version tested, well done and led by many of the demands that fans of the mouse and keyboard are used to.

SpazioGames.it - 8.5
Quote:

An interesting background and some multiplayer goodness make Homefront a good buy if you love story-driven FPS and some online squad-based massacre. With some more polish, a tighter and slightly longer campaign and more content it could've been a great title.

RageQuit - 9/10
Quote:

Homefront is a FPS with brains, fantastic story, and multiplayer fun.

TotallyGN - 9/10

Quote:

Overall, Homefront is a fantastic game. It was one of my most anticipated titles for the first half of 2011 and it didn’t disappoint. Kaos has created a great shooter and, hopefully, a great new franchise.

PSM3 Magazine - 83%

Zoo Magazine - 9/10

EDGE Magazine - 5/10

PC Power Play Magazine - 7/10

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Got a text this morning saying it shipped from Gamefly. Sounds great.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Frontlines was a woefully unappreciated game. Back when I was still playing online MP, I loved it.

Hopefully an evolved version of that system coupled with an intriguing premise will be received better than FL was.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

On Jumping the Shark today, they were talking about how the class-based system from Frontlines has been largely scrapped, and that it's mostly a Call of Duty clone now. Pity if true.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

If anyone plays the single player campaign, please let me know what you think.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

MizzouRah wrote:If anyone plays the single player campaign, please let me know what you think.
word on the street is it is short. Dissapointing, if this is the case

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

vinny-b wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:If anyone plays the single player campaign, please let me know what you think.
That's different from Call of Duty how? Pretty much the only shooter with a decent campaign i have played in the last few years was BFBC2.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

My wife's cousin works at Kaos, and the last three years have been all about this game. Probably going to pick it up to show some support... look for me online!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I look forward to the ground control missions on MP, I really enjoyed Frontlines and of course BC 2, and sounds like the game has enough of both. The narrative and story in Campaign mode is supposed to be awesome, I'll be picking this one up along TP 4 on Tuesday.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Played the first 2 levels on the PC tonight. No multiplayer impressions yet.

The opening sequence which is a bus ride is one of the most memorable for me in a game in a long time. In fact the last time I recall being that draw in by an opening was the original Half Life. The graphics are fantastic on the PC, the atmosphere of the two levels I played was frantic and very well done. You're part of a small team and you darting from house to house etc. I found the 2nd level very challenging. They were both decent in size and I wanted to keep going but work tomorrow.

So far I enjoy what I saw, I can't wait to see what happens next.
Follow Me on:

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

Danimal wrote:
vinny-b wrote:
That's different from Call of Duty how? Pretty much the only shooter with a decent campaign i have played in the last few years was BFBC2.
based on the fact am not a sheep, i was hoping for an experience better then Call of Duty. Not a COD fanboy

edit: thanks for the impressions.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

vinny-b wrote: based on the fact am not a sheep, i was hoping for an experience better then Call of Duty. Not a COD fanboy

edit: thanks for the impressions.
Calling it "short" based on "word on the street" with no definition of what short means (6 hours..8 hours??) and more then likely not playing the game seems like the the exact thing COD fan boys would say about a rival game that was just released. Typically if I am interested in a game I like to try it before calling it a disappointment but that's just how us sheep roll.

You're welcome for the impressions.
Follow Me on:

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

vinny-b wrote:
Indeed...

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Danimal wrote:Played the first 2 levels on the PC tonight. No multiplayer impressions yet.

The opening sequence which is a bus ride is one of the most memorable for me in a game in a long time. In fact the last time I recall being that draw in by an opening was the original Half Life. The graphics are fantastic on the PC, the atmosphere of the two levels I played was frantic and very well done. You're part of a small team and you darting from house to house etc. I found the 2nd level very challenging. They were both decent in size and I wanted to keep going but work tomorrow.

So far I enjoy what I saw, I can't wait to see what happens next.
Thanks Danimal!

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Per IGN review:
The single-player campaign is a lot of fun, but its inexcusable shortness is also Homefront's greatest downfall. Homefront is going to run you $60 new, and if you're not at all interested in multiplayer, then the value Homefront delivers to you as a consumer is minimal. The campaign's seven chapters can easily be completed in five hours. And while there's reason for some to go back for a second playthrough (including Trophy/Achievement hunting or scouring environments for the game's collectibles in the form of story-telling newspaper clippings), most gamers will find themselves satiated with a single playthrough.
Think I'll wait for a price reduction.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

Danimal wrote:Calling it "short" based on "word on the street" with no definition of what short means (6 hours..8 hours??) and more then likely not playing the game seems like the the exact thing COD fan boys would say about a rival game that was just released. Typically if I am interested in a game I like to try it before calling it a disappointment but that's just how us sheep roll.
"word on the street is it is short. Disappointing, if this is the case."

reading comprehension can be your friend, if you let it. FYI

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

5-6 hours is just too short for a game these days. I remember playing FF6 on Snes for like 70 hours, and this was in the 90s. No excuse for games to be this short now days. It's almost like developers are only trying to cater to online players. There could be 100s of hours of online enjoyment available, but for people like me who only play offline it's kind of hard to spend the $65 on a game that I could beat in 1 or 2 sittings.

I will definitely check this out once it's in the $20 range on Amazon. After playing a bunch of short games lately I am a bit soured on paying full price for a game that has no replay value.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

vinny-b wrote:
Danimal wrote:Calling it "short" based on "word on the street" with no definition of what short means (6 hours..8 hours??) and more then likely not playing the game seems like the the exact thing COD fan boys would say about a rival game that was just released. Typically if I am interested in a game I like to try it before calling it a disappointment but that's just how us sheep roll.
"word on the street is it is short. Disappointing, if this is the case."

reading comprehension can be your friend, if you let it. FYI
lol PeaceBw/

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

vinny-b wrote: reading comprehension can be your friend, if you let it. FYI
Right back at you. I said calling it short without reference sounds like fan boy drivel. Read up a post to see how it is done, you quote a source like a review.

It's really funny how your posting style, from the way you selectively quote items, post bits of articles without posting a link is similar to another poster on these boards. Almost like you guys are one in the same.

I'm done with you, go back to your great contributions to this site, you'll hear no more from me.
Follow Me on:

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Danimal : have you seen this game half price anywhere? Or half the half price?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Anyway back to impressions.

After playing this some more I still enjoy it but the biggest issue in single player is the stupid AI of your fellow freedom fighters. They constantly walk into open fire, but never get shot. They don't usually shoot anyone and they block your path a lot. They are basically virtual props who only die when the story dictates and for effect, they occasionally draw fire but that's about it. It is very annoying trying to get trough some of the difficult sequences and have your own team blocking your path.

Oh and for the record the campaign does seem extremely short. I am more then halfway through with only 3 hours in. I think 5 is being generous.
Last edited by Danimal on Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Lancer wrote:Danimal : have you seen this game half price anywhere? Or half the half price?
Game came out today, why would it be half price anywhere?
Follow Me on:

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

Danimal wrote:
f#ck off.