NHL 11

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

NHL 11

Post by Danimal »

http://www.operationsports.com/newspost.php?id=415460

Thought some might be interested.

Real time Physics?
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I love this series!

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

Finally. I just hope it applies to puck and stick physics as well because without that it's pointless. No more rockets to the top shelf when the puck was too close to the shooters own feet to create that kind of accuracy and power.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

WillHunting
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by WillHunting »

Fix the menus please.
+++++++++++++++
Gamertag: The Praxis
+++++++++++++++

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

WillHunting wrote:Fix the menus please.
And the overall presentation of the game. It's getting a bit stale. The commentary, please get Jim Hughson back. And Ray Ferraro would be a fine color guy too. Real time physics, I'd like to see it in action, will this eliminate some of the crazy unreal action by the CPU and boosted players? Hope that the collision detection will be more realistic as well.

You know what I am hoping for? A mode to play the Winter Classic game. C'mon EA.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

What get rid of Thorne, sacrilege. :twisted:

They need to bring back the ESPN Hockey night theme music. I never tire of listening to Thorne, or Martin Tyler. 8)

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Besides the new physical engine where supposedly no hit will be the same or have the same effect, looks like EA will also be taking a second look at the faceoff system, which I always did not enjoyed as much as the game with 2K.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/ ... ot;title;1

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

The checks are overdone already, especially where defensemen skating backwards or sideways close in on forwards going full-speed.

So while real-time physics are welcome, you wonder if this will lead to more over-the-top collisions and hits. You can't have little guys like Cheechoo making bigger guys fly back like ragdolls.

While the series is good as any, NHL 09 artificially had errant shots. Too many shots at point-blank range with the goalie completely out of the play and the shot hits the post or the top post or just miss the goal completely.

It seemed they artificially tried to keep scoring down (online defaults) because the previous years had too much scoring.

But it's good to hear they're not resting on their laurels and willing to try something new. Maybe NHL2K still provides enough nominal competition to keep EA Vancouver on their toes.

Or maybe BC guys are more diligent than Floridians, although to be fair, it's probably easier to make a change like this in a hockey or NBA game than an NFL game because of fewer players on the field.

It wouldn't be surprising if this hit FIFA too, before Tiburon even thinks about it. After all, FIFA and NHL had features like OTP years ago.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

wco81 wrote:The checks are overdone already, especially where defensemen skating backwards or sideways close in on forwards going full-speed.

But it's good to hear they're not resting on their laurels and willing to try something new. Maybe NHL2K still provides enough nominal competition to keep EA Vancouver on their toes.

Or maybe BC guys are more diligent than Floridians, although to be fair, it's probably easier to make a change like this in a hockey or NBA game than an NFL game because of fewer players on the field.

It wouldn't be surprising if this hit FIFA too, before Tiburon even thinks about it. After all, FIFA and NHL had features like OTP years ago.
I have heard that the passing in Fifa 11 is going to get a bit of a revamp as well. The fact that 2K may not come up with an NHL product at the end of the year is a bit worrisome to me. But if they take the year off to just start a new engine for 2012, then yes it's good to keep EA on their heels a bit.

I am more looking forward to the faceoff aspect of the game at this point than the physical department.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Considering their track record since going to the skill stick, I'm definitely psyched about the "physics" addition to the game, should add a whole new look and feel to the game.

If Madden's team could learn from the NHL team - and I believe Littmann is now helping that team, that game could finally turn the corner and once again be a part of my gaming library.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Littman is on NBA Elite, not Madden. Elite will be using their own "skill stick".

NHL rocks, I'm still playing 10. I hope they overhaul the menus and presentation though, as it is getting dated and tired.

Some form of "NHL today" thing like MLB has would rock, so the play by play would reference previous games, etc.

I hope they tweak the Ai so that the forechecks actually work properly (ie a 2-1-2 should have two guys going for the puck, not just one!) and we have more breakaways, 2 on 1s, etc......
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Gangrel wrote:Littman is on NBA Elite, not Madden. Elite will be using their own "skill stick".

NHL rocks, I'm still playing 10. I hope they overhaul the menus and presentation though, as it is getting dated and tired.

Some form of "NHL today" thing like MLB has would rock, so the play by play would reference previous games, etc.

I hope they tweak the Ai so that the forechecks actually work properly (ie a 2-1-2 should have two guys going for the puck, not just one!) and we have more breakaways, 2 on 1s, etc......
Ok, thought I read Madden, but I guess not. :)

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I need a kleenex

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Real-time physics could be very cool, or it could merely cosmetic for hits. New face-off system is welcome, though what I would like to see most is a retooled loose puck system, especially around the boards and how players handle the puck there. Instant control and spinning off at full speed is the most unrealistic part of the gameplay IMO.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Rumors are that J.Toews will be the cover boy for NHL 11. Not a bad choice, but I think EA is also looking at H.Sedin, S.Stamkos and D.Doughty as cover boys.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

10spro wrote:Rumors are that J.Toews will be the cover boy for NHL 11. Not a bad choice, but I think EA is also looking at H.Sedin, S.Stamkos and D.Doughty as cover boys.
I thought this was announced yesterday.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: NHL 11

Post by MizzouRah »

I am sooo ready for this game.. the only game I ever really care about anymore when it comes to sports console gaming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_IHNbuA ... r_embedded

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re:

Post by Feanor »

10spro wrote:Rumors are that J.Toews will be the cover boy for NHL 11.
Instant no-buy. :)

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Shameless Self Promotion:

I started www.puckgamer.com about a month ago. Tons of hockey videogaming news/videos, etc.

Are we getting a team together for NHL 11? I missed all our games last year due to scheduling issues, but will make time this year.

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

Sudz wrote:Shameless Self Promotion:

I started http://www.puckgamer.com about a month ago. Tons of hockey videogaming news/videos, etc.

Are we getting a team together for NHL 11? I missed all our games last year due to scheduling issues, but will make time this year.
Well, I'm certainly game for it this year. NHL 10, despite being a great game IMHO, could never consistently overcome the volume of great titles this year, it seems, since we probably played only a fraction of the OTP that we did with NHL 09. Plus everyone is a year older with other commitments as well...

Still, perhaps 11 can recapture some of what 09 had around here. It will be a day one purchase for me and maybe we can try out some regular poker nights this year.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Yeah, work schedule has been an issue for sure for me, but I'll be dressed up with my usual #10 once the puck drops. :)

Nice site, Sudz.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

NHL SLAPSHOT looks like it might be fun as well. Seems very very similar to NHL 10, but with some 3v3 mode and great use of the wii controller

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

Ultimate Team is in NHL this year according to IGN....CAN'T WAIT!

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/111/1110238p1.html
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

From the article:
While I didn't have the time to build up teams of my own while spending a day at EA's Vancouver studios, I did get a chance to toy around with a few that had already been beefed up for me. One team had been crafted free of microtransactions and in only a few hours, the other had been scrutinized over for days with more than fifty bucks in microtransactions. There's no doubt that the microtransaction-less team could be brought up to the level of the cash-happy squad with a few more games, but for now the difference was huge. I scored three goals in a period and a half with the more expensive of the two, while the other didn't put one in through a full two periods.
It's a neat mode. But I have no interest in spending money to keep up with the idiot kids online. It will be just like Madden, in that progression will be so slow that using cash will be the only way you can play online with a team that can compete at all. No thanks.