iRacing DSP Poker Night Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

iRacing DSP Poker Night Thread

Post by DChaps »

So as not to clutter the racing sim thread and make it easier to spot a potential racing night, this will be the thread for discussion of dates, times, tracks, cars, results, etc. for iRacing DSP hosted poker nights.

I am open to all ideas on establishing a schedule for night of the week, time, race parameters, tracks, cars, etc., but for now I am jonesing for some racing as it has been two weeks since my PC completely bit the dust and now I am ready with my brand new rig.

If anyone is up for racing this weekend, let me know. I was thinking of starting the server with a couple hours of open practice, 30 min qualifying, and then the race. I would like to start with Indycars at Indy, but since not everyone may have the track and cars, we could go with the SRF at one of the default tracks.

Post here if you are available to race this weekend at 10:30pm either tonight, tomorrow, or Sunday and we can go from there.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

"The Server"? I heard about private server stuff, but wasn't it pay-per-instance or something?

I still have some credit I think so I could buy pretty much anything that's on tap if it's a private session type deal now.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Yeah, it costs $3 for the host, nothing for the people that are joining. I am going to pay for this one as I have credits already stored up from the rebate I received from iRacing after all the price reductions in tracks and cars.

One thing to note, I am fairly certain there are no restarts, so this will be different from our NR2003 or rFactor races from the past. In other words, drive it like you own it. :)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Don:

Sunday night works for me this weekend. I'm recording Colts-Pats, so I can watch that any time after our race.

I have a buddy in town tonight and am watching Pacquiao-Cotto tomorrow night, so neither of those work for me.

And you are correct about the race restarts, sir. None. No mulligans. No, "we'll restart if we don't get through the first lap clean." So we must be VERY careful.

Have fun if you race either of those nights, and really looking forward to our set Poker Night! :)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

WPatrick
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by WPatrick »

My subscription just exptired, but I am sure I will resub soon.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

I'm game, whichever night works best for everyone.

A note on the no restarts thing. Back in my Rookie days I ran a Solstice race at Laguna Seca in which I'd qualified on pole, made a shocking, shocking start and arrived at the first turn as the dictionary definition of 'midfield'. It has never entered my head to have a dirty great stab at the brakes halfway around the Andretti Hairpin, which is why I was surprised to find the leader doing exactly that. Everyone ahead checked up in time, I didn't, and one big hit later I had a car that would turn left grudgingly, spun like a top the instant I turned right and was fit for nothing more than instant retirement.

That was monumentally irritating, and in a race I hadn't paid towards, had practiced and qualified for days in advance and could try again within an hour. I wouldn't like to think which shade of blue the air would have turned had I been in a race where the sessions came one after the other and I only had one shot at getting through.

Play nice, fellas, at least for the first few seconds...
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

No worries for me, I'm so terrible at standing starts that I'm sure to get to the first turn last.

Sunday works better for me also as I'm heading over a buddy's house for some boardgaming tomorrow night.

I have the Indycar, Daytona Prototype, Formula Mazda, and the Corvette in addition to the starting cars. I have Indy plus a bunch of other tracks (basically the whole Skippy schedule plus Barber, Daytona, and Sebring.)
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

Smurfy
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Smurfy »

I'll be upgrading my PC on Tuesday next week. After then I'll be available for iRacing.

I just bought the one-month trial, but even with graphics set for maximum FPS it's chugging HORRIBLY.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Neckthai got a new rig and a G25 this week, and he's jonesing to iRace. I'll let him know about this.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Smurfy
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Smurfy »

Bump.

Okay, I've got three days of rookie Solstices around Lime Rock under my belt. I'm not fast, but I can run consistent laps at a pace that won't be causing roadblocks. Running practice sessions online gave me valuable experience passing slower cars and letting fast cars by.

I'm dying to join a race. However I'm only capable of driving the rookie Solstice. If you want a track other than Lime Rock, you'll need to give me a week to get used to it. If I can purchase the Indy cars and track with only a rookie license, then I'll gladly get those instead.

If you can offer a Poker Night that meets my very restrictive requirements, I'll gladly join in. I promise I'll be on my best behaviour - I find the rookie Solstices in iRacing are easy to play "nice" in.

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

You can buy any car and track that you like, and if you don't have a license can still use them for offline practice or private sessions. Thats why I got the Indycar; some guy around here claims he works with them or something... :lol:

I hate the Solstices, but will run whatever you guys want. I'd say for you to run some Time Trials to get your SR up to 3 so you can run the Spec Racer Ford, which I feel is a MUCH more fun car. Once I could I ran screaming from the Solstice and never looked back.

The rookie Legends cars are a real hoot though, and the rookie races in them are fun.
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Any car is fine with me. I must be a masochist -- I actually enjoy the Rookie Solstices!

Take care,
PK

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Slicks and wings, slicks and wings, slicks and wings! No? Alright...

I haven't tried the Spec Racer Ford since the tyre update after Week 13 but loathed every incarnation of it up to that point. I have no strong feelings at all towards the Solstice, love the Legends and am quite fond of pretty much everything else. As ever, though, I will race whatever, whenever.

Are we any closer to a date for the inaugural DSP iRacing Poker Night Grand Prix Race of Champions?

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Sorry guys. I have a million excuses for not following through on this, but none of them good. I could go at 10:30pm tonight, or we could try for Fri, Sat, or Sun of this weekend.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I can go tonight. I'll keep an eye out for other nights, too.

Thanks,
PK

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Tonight I've done something or other to my knee playing football, which is making pressing the pedals interesting. I would pass on that, but would hope to be good to go on any other night this weekend.

Smurfy
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Smurfy »

Any evening is good for me right now.

Hope your knee feels better soon Adam.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Must be some sort of wear and tear thing, mate. Hurt like hell this morning, feels OK tonight, same as last week did, so I'm good to go any night.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

GB_Simo wrote:Must be some sort of wear and tear thing, mate. Hurt like hell this morning, feels OK tonight, same as last week did, so I'm good to go any night.
Wait until you turn 44! :)

Take care,
PK

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Ugh. It's not all that long ago that I couldn't imagine being 24. It's come around quicker than I expected...

The suspense is killing me - let's go racing, boys!

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

GB_Simo wrote:The suspense is killing me - let's go racing, boys!
No, really!

Smurf, if we don't get something started soon, give me a shout if there's anything you fancy on this week's schedule and we'll find a practice session to turn a few laps in or something.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Ok, I am finally ready to get this thing going! Of course this would be a week when the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is not scheduled to be available in the hosting track list. Arghhhh!!!

According to the official hosted schedule (see link below), we are in week 5, so the available tracks should be as follows:

http://members.iracing.com/iforum/servl ... hedule.htm

Bristol
Concord
Homestead A
Irwindale
Laguna Seca
Lime Rock
Lowe's
Lowe's Full RC
Lowe's legends
Phoenix
Road America
Sebring
Silverstone GP
South Boston
Watkins Glen with Boot

However, other tracks may be available by tomorrow night.
From Steve Myers at iRacing:

I purposely did not put the following into the post with the schedule because it really is going to confuse some.

The way our system works is we actually load two tracks for each series. In week 1 the server will actually have the tracks for week 1 AND week 2 loaded and available offering an expanded list than what I have in the schedule. The tracks will be the same until sometime on Wednesday when half of our servers restart at which point week 3 tracks will ALSO be available. On Thursday when the other half of our servers restart there will no longer be any of the tracks from week 1 available, only weeks 2 and 3.

I am going to repeat this a few times in this post just to be clear. We can only guarantee that the active week track schedule will be available though. We restart our servers all the time for many different reasons which would automatically load the current and next weeks tracks.

So for the purposes of planning your league schedules you should use the week to week schedule I posted. Again, there will be more tracks available at times but we cannot promise you that they will be there on a set schedule so these should be used for spur of the moment schedule changes or fun racing.

Steve
Ok, to make it easy to get this going, here is what I propose:

========================================

DSP iRacing Poker Night #1

Tuesday Dec. 1, 2009

Server Name: DSP iRacing Poker Night

Password: siam007

Track: Lime Rock

Car: Pontiac Solstice

Race Distance: 20 Laps

Standing Start

Unlimited Fast Tows

Full Course Cautions Off

Practice: 2hrs 8:00pm-10:00pm EST

Qualifying: 30min 10:00pm-10:30pm EST

Race 10:30pm EST

========================================

After this race, if there is interest and other tracks ready (like Indy), I could quickly host another race with shorter practice and qualifying.

Edit: Changed from Rolling Start to Standing Start

As Adam has already done, please respond to this if you can make it. Thanks!
Last edited by DChaps on Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Wholly and completely in. I might well be utilising all of that practice time, since I've not done Solstices at Lime Rock in forever and was pretty awful when I used to run them regularly...

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Head-over-heels in. Your legend is growing longer then Pinocchio Woods' nose with every statement on his Web site about the crash, The Donald!

Thanks for doing this!

Take care,
PK

Smurfy
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Smurfy »

I'll be there (though I've been practising Laguna Seca - I hate Lime Rock).