OT: Pro Tennis Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Pro Tennis Thread

Post by 10spro »

Roger would be the first person to tell you that he was very lucky to make it into the semis. Groin issues and all, you could tell that he wasn’t playing his best tennis. Not one, not two, not three, but seven huge match points saved in his favor to completely turn the match into a thrilling five setter. Credit to the American, Sandgren who looks more like a linebacker than a tennis player was serving bombs.

I was telling myself that one of these big serves would eventually finish Federer in the tiebreaker, but he kept hanging in there, was in control during the longer rallies and pulled a Houdini out of nowhere to make it into the semis.

He will probably face Djoko who will have his hands full with Raonic but at this point, I don’t think he can outlast the Serbian.

Great tournament for Sandgren, he will kick himself long and hard after this loss, for some reason the top three in the world continue to amaze me with their incredible tennis at an advance age especially the Swiss who’s a bit older than Nadal and Djoko.

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

10spro wrote:Roger would be the first person to tell you that he was very lucky to make it into the semis. Groin issues and all, you could tell that he wasn’t playing his best tennis. Not one, not two, not three, but seven huge match points saved in his favor to completely turn the match into a thrilling five setter. Credit to the American, Sandgren who looks more like a linebacker than a tennis player was serving bombs.

I was telling myself that one of these big serves would eventually finish Federer in the tiebreaker, but he kept hanging in there, was in control during the longer rallies and pulled a Houdini out of nowhere to make it into the semis.

He will probably face Djoko who will have his hands full with Raonic but at this point, I don’t think he can outlast the Serbian.

Great tournament for Sandgren, he will kick himself long and hard after this loss, for some reason the top three in the world continue to amaze me with their incredible tennis at an advance age especially the Swiss who’s a bit older than Nadal and Djoko.
Great credit to Sandgren, who's a bit of an outlier on the ATP circuit but has got some excellent results in the last few years and played a great tournament. Roger seems to be touched by a magic wand in this tournament so far. First Millman and now this. Djokovic has looked so good this far that even if Fed recovers from his groin strain problem, it's hard to see him winning on Thursday but I guess if anyone can conjure up some magic in this sport, it's him. He's going to have to be sublime to make it to the final I think. In fact, I would see Zverev, Thiem or Wawrinka being the main threats to Djoko in this event, but one of them has to take out Rafa first.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Congrats to DJOKO who found himself down in an unfamiliar territory early in the match in a GS finals yet pulled another strong finish in winning his 8th Aussie title. As I was saying earlier in this thread, to me he’s been the indisputable #1 player in the world although Nadal was ahead of him based on stats and tournaments played but in terms of consistency both mentally and physically, Novak has been the best.

In my mind he’s got a better chance to chase Roger’s record than Nadal, he’s won the last three GS in the 12 months, and looks like he’s hungry for more.

Kudos to Thiem for putting on a great fight, I am sure his game will be stronger still once Roland Garros arrives, all aspects of his game have improved especially mixing the slice with his heavy topspin backhand which kept the Serbian at bay for the first three sets.

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

Djokovic looked down and out at the beginning of the fourth. He spoke of dehydration in his press conference. And also of being the No. 1 of all time. Rafa and Roger have shied away from placing importance on the issue of most grand slam title wins in history but Novak has now openly spoken of it as a target.

And well done to Sofia Kenin. I saw very little of the women's event this year and virtually nothing of Kenin, but it appears that US female tennis players will continue to win big events long after Serena retires.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN2210VI

One reason why people like Federer more.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Must be so difficult being N. Djokovic these days. Despite being clearly the #1 player in the past few years, still people don’t give him the proper credit that he deserves. Just won the semis vs upcoming Canadian kid Shapovalov in straight tough sets and will probably equal the win in GS trophies with Nadal and Federer on Sunday.

He’s younger that the great Swiss and Spaniard and may still rewrite history if he continues to be healthy.

While Federer and Nadal are being picky in their careers as to where they want to focus and give them the best chances to win, the Joker just keeps on rolling.

Still, finding it amazing that as we are half way thru 2021, we are still talking about those three players.

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

10spro wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:43 pm
Must be so difficult being N. Djokovic these days. Despite being clearly the #1 player in the past few years, still people don’t give him the proper credit that he deserves. Just won the semis vs upcoming Canadian kid Shapovalov in straight tough sets and will probably equal the win in GS trophies with Nadal and Federer on Sunday.

He’s younger that the great Swiss and Spaniard and may still rewrite history if he continues to be healthy.

While Federer and Nadal are being picky in their careers as to where they want to focus and give them the best chances to win, the Joker just keeps on rolling.

Still, finding it amazing that as we are half way thru 2021, we are still talking about those three players.
It is amazing what the guy is doing. That third set in Paris against Nadal when he saved a set point changed the whole season, though he might have won anyway. I thought he was a goner at two sets down in the final of RG against Tsitsipas. Djokovic now seems to be able to find his way out of any match. As McEnroe pointed out before the Wimbledon final, he's 34 and a better player than he's ever been. Right now, you wouldn't know how many slams he could end up with.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I saw a clip where he got a crucial point because his opponent made an unforced error.

Then he was pumping his arms and loudly celebrating.

This is why people don't like Djoko, because he's a troll.

One thing to celebrate if you make a great play. Even though the point going to him has the same benefit, whether he makes a winning shot or his opponent makes an error, the reactions should be different.

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

wco81 wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:15 pm
I saw a clip where he got a crucial point because his opponent made an unforced error.

Then he was pumping his arms and loudly celebrating.

This is why people don't like Djoko, because he's a troll.

One thing to celebrate if you make a great play. Even though the point going to him has the same benefit, whether he makes a winning shot or his opponent makes an error, the reactions should be different.
Yeah, totally get what you're saying. Think that arm pumping and celebrating opponents' mistakes was a reaction to the fact that the crowds haven't been on his side, which has clearly peeved him. Definitely a mistake in terms of endearing himself to people, but I guess that's not his ultimate goal. One thing that has been apparent this Wimbledon is that most people wanted Roger to win and fewer people wanted Djokovic to win. But every tennis player, even Rafa, has had to deal with that in the last 15-20 years.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I think he’s always rubbed people the wrong way.

Even when he first broke out, I think at the Australian Open when he was still a teen, I remember the image of his parents and family, making a fist and yelling loudly in the stands.

It’s as if the barbarians broached the genteel world of tennis.

Fans seem to be far more fond of Fed and Nadal. And Sampras and Agassi before them.

It’s a tossup between Djoko and Jimmy Connors which one had the more punchable face.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

wco81 wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:04 pm
It’s a tossup between Djoko and Jimmy Connors which one had the more punchable face.
Easy. Jimmy was always charismatic despite his early tantrums but once Mac came into the scene, he was the good boy compared to McEnroe.

Interesting enough, players like N. Kyrgios bother me more than Nole, because I know he’s put a lot of hard work to be where he is now. He’s winning everything now, in a year or two when he loses a step or 2 to a guy like Tsitsipas, you may see a more understanding crowd as he ages.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Despite the absence of Federer and Nadal, S. Williams in the ladies draw, this has been one of the most exciting, unpredictable and tumultuous US Opens I watched in a while.

So many new faces coming up, Carlos Alcatraz upsetting Tsitsipas a couple of nights ago, Canadian teen sensation Fernandez upsetting Osaka and Kerber today.

But most surprising is the level of tennis these guys and gals are playing at. Just superb stuff, the great new generation has arrived.

Will the Joker complete his 4thGS win in a week?

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

10spro wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:59 pm
Despite the absence of Federer and Nadal, S. Williams in the ladies draw, this has been one of the most exciting, unpredictable and tumultuous US Opens I watched in a while.

So many new faces coming up, Carlos Alcatraz upsetting Tsitsipas a couple of nights ago, Canadian teen sensation Fernandez upsetting Osaka and Kerber today.

But most surprising is the level of tennis these guys and gals are playing at. Just superb stuff, the great new generation has arrived.

Will the Joker complete his 4thGS win in a week?
Agreed 10s. Great tournament. Just tuning into Laura Fernandez against Svitolina now. She's been a revelation, along with Raducanu in the women's draw.

Alcaraz has made amazing progress. I was unimpressed when I saw him against Rafa in Madrid in May, where he was probably a bit overawed. But he's looked a lot better in just a few months and I said to a friend of mind before the Tsitsipas match that "he's not going to win the tournament but, on a given day, I think he could beat anyone right now". Having watched the Tsitsipas match, I'd have to take that back. I think he could win the tournament. Maybe I'm overestimating him but my feeling right now is that Djokovic would do well to break the 20-20-20 tie with Rafa and Roger right here and now because I'm not sure that Alcaraz isn't on the way to winning multiple slams in the near future. Should be a cracker tonight against Felix Augur Alliasime. With Berretini, Zverev and Medvedev all lurking, I think this is going to be tougher than Wimbledon for Novak.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Rhymes, let’s hope for some firecrackers tonight between Alliasime and Alcaraz. They are part of the future of Men’s tennis.

What a nail biter today between 5th seeded Svitolina and the new darling of the US Open. Leylah is just so mature for her age. The way she hits her shots on the rise, she literally hardly backs away from the white baseline and often you see her hitting shots from her knees.

That’s how low she gets in an effort to counterattack her opponent. She also got a great defensive game and in the next few years, I would like to see more depth in her serve and develop a drop shot in her arsenal because right now it’s all power off both sides.

The way she pumps her fists, her concentration, the fearless attitude, the way she wants to dictate a point, all so impressive.

The match was intense, it could have gone either way and I see her overlapping Bianca in Canada very soon as Andreescu continues to fight with injuries despite another thriller late last night that lasted 3 1/2 hours.

The quality of tennis in both men’s & women’s draw continues to impress.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Aren't there always promising youth who never manage to break through to consistently beat the trinity of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic?

Federer's body seems to be breaking down. He can still advance in tournaments that he cares about but his days of contending for it may be over.

Nadal seems to be right behind him.

Djoko is just a year younger than Nadal but I don't think he's had the injury history. He's about to win the GS so he may be as good as ever.

It is going to come down to the young players to beat him but he's held them off for almost 20 years now.

If he's smart, he's going to cut down on the tour and concentrate on the majors, preserve his body.

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

Managed to put a complete jinx on Alcaraz with my last post. Still, after this tournament, I definitely see what all the fuss is about.

Leylah Fernandez played great 10s. Can't believe the power she seems to generate with such a slight frame. Just great technique I guess. Svitolina kept coming back at her but she's shown that she has the capacity to win tight matches. Looking forward to Raducanu's match today. Another girl who's got great power for her size. She was knocking down first serves at 110 mph the other day against Shelby Rogers.

Agree wco that Djokovic looks more likely than Nadal and far more likely than Federer to add to his slam tally. Another amazing season for him, even if he doesn't win this one. Brooksby did well against him early on, so maybe an American to watch out for in the future.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Raducano played out of her mind. And Bencic is a very steady player who just won in the Olympics. She mixed her game at crucial times vs the Swiss girl, coming big on her serve when needed while crushing that big forehand of hers. Certainly did not see the win in straight sets.

Imagine a totally unlikely finals between Raducanu and Fernandez. The US crowd would love to see that match up.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

OMG. Leylah is for real. How does she continue to do it? I remember watching her when she was 16 playing in the Vancouver Open and I was telling myself, she’s good but she needs to be stronger physically. You look at her today and she’s still small compared to the top 10 but that never give up attitude and her return of serve just took care of Sabalenka.

She left Chrissy Evert in awe and speechless many times during some rallies, what a ride she’s having.

I’ll be rooting now for Raducanu, an all teenage finals would be awesome! Ironically she was also born in Canada but immigrated to the UK with her parents.

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

Great performance again by Fernandez. Sabalenka really caved in with those double faults in the final game and Emma Raducanu found a goldmine in Sakkaris inability to defend on the forehand side. Just finished watching the match and Emma hit just about every serve to Sakkari's forehand. Should be a great final and a fairytale ending for whoever wins and whoever loses, though neither of them can be considered anything but winners in the greater scheme of the tournament. And they both look pretty fresh, given that Leylah has played so many epic matches and Emma had to play through qualifying to enter the main draw (Did nobody think of giving her a wildcard? Think McEnroe commented at Wimbledon that she shouldn't get a wildcard to the US Open, so I guess somebody was listening to him :wink: )

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Why are the matches tonight at 3 and 7 EST?

Should be 6 and 9!

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I think I'm more excited about the Hernandez vs. Raducanu finals match than the men's draw. Great tennis last night! Unbelievable that neither of them are ranked and they're both teenagers.

I'll never understand why the men's final has to be played on the same day as the opening weekend for the NFL. And why is it not played in prime time? Makes zero sense. Couldn't they at least schedule it to be played Sunday or Monday night?

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

Sudz wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:40 am
Why are the matches tonight at 3 and 7 EST?

Should be 6 and 9!
Strikes me that it could have something to do with attracting the largest possible global TV audience. For example, 3 pm in New York is 9 pm in most of continental Europe, meaning that the first of the two semis will have optimal viewer ratings in that part of the world. Mind you, I might be way off the mark with that reasoning.

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

sportdan30 wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:05 pm
I think I'm more excited about the Hernandez vs. Raducanu finals match than the men's draw. Great tennis last night! Unbelievable that neither of them are ranked and they're both teenagers.

I'll never understand why the men's final has to be played on the same day as the opening weekend for the NFL. And why is it not played in prime time? Makes zero sense. Couldn't they at least schedule it to be played Sunday or Monday night?
The women's final should be great. No idea about the NFL but it does make me think that perhaps the USA is no longer the main market of the US Open in terms of TV audiences.

Big Spanish soccer matches are often played at 4 pm these days, which is siesta time at the weekend in Spain and a pain in the butt for most Spanish fans but apparently, it's prime viewing time in China and market criteria rule.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I am still out of town until late Saturday and have told my kids to record the historic weekend event. Like most I am somehow more intrigued about the women’s finals tomorrow than Novak becoming the greatest player ever. Having said that I think Medvedev is ready for a 5 set match, and perhaps a huge upset. He’s due!

What Emma is doing is unheard of. No one has advanced to a major finals men or women from the qualifying week. So if I am correct she’s played already 9-10 matches without dropping a set which is another impossible feat which has made this US Open so unpredictable and exciting to watch.

And of course Fernandez beating 4 top ten ranked players in a row all going the distance. But her branch of tennis is captivating to watch. First being a lefty, hitting low balls from her knees and on the rise giving little tine for the opponent to react. She’s fast and they both have the no quit attitude and charisma that the NY crowd love to see.

Win or lose, this already is a major victory for Emma and Leylah, they should both swing for the fences, feel no pressure and enjoy the moment.

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

10spro wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:26 pm
I am still out of town until late Saturday and have told my kids to record the historic weekend event. Like most I am somehow more intrigued about the women’s finals tomorrow than Novak becoming the greatest player ever. Having said that I think Medvedev is ready for a 5 set match, and perhaps a huge upset. He’s due!

What Emma is doing is unheard of. No one has advanced to a major finals men or women from the qualifying week. So if I am correct she’s played already 9-10 matches without dropping a set which is another impossible feat which has made this US Open so unpredictable and exciting to watch.

And of course Fernandez beating 4 top ten ranked players in a row all going the distance. But her branch of tennis is captivating to watch. First being a lefty, hitting low balls from her knees and on the rise giving little tine for the opponent to react. She’s fast and they both have the no quit attitude and charisma that the NY crowd love to see.

Win or lose, this already is a major victory for Emma and Leylah, they should both swing for the fences, feel no pressure and enjoy the moment.
I hear ya 10s :) No spoilers from me in the meantime. Those two teenagers have no apparent weaknesses as far as I can see. The only possible obstacle to a great final would be if one or both of them start thinking too much and get stage fright.

And yes! Medvedev is a danger to anybody.