OT: Pro Tennis Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Re: OT: Pro Tennis Thread

Post by rhymes450 »

vader29 wrote:Really good match on ESPN right now at US Open between Murray and Nishikori.
Didn't catch it but has to count as a bit of a surprise, even though it looked a tough match on paper for Murray.

Best match I've seen so far was Lucas Pouille's victory over Nadal 8-6 in the fifth set tiebreaker. Pouille looks like a player to watch out for in the future.

Wawrinka seems to have hit top gear against del Potro, having had to save a match point in an earlier round. Should be a good semi against Nishikori.

Djokovic should be very fresh for his semi with Monfils, having only had to play two full matches in the tournament to date. Guess he has to be seen as the favorite to take the title.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Good to see Djokovic upset. Maybe tennis will be more competitive, though looks like Nadal is just about done, like Federer.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

wco81 wrote:Good to see Djokovic upset. Maybe tennis will be more competitive, though looks like Nadal is just about done, like Federer.
Competitive in what way? For the past decade or so it's been the familiar 4 dudes while Wawrinka has always been in the mix for the past 3 seasons. It's a hard, strenuous season and Djoko hasn't been the same since winning in Toronto. He's been nursing an injury since the Olympics. You could tell he was breathing hard in the 4th set and was fortunate enough last week to have a couple of easy byes. I don't dislike Djoko, he's a good ambassador for the sport that's not getting enough attention, but the Swiss man was the better player today, no doubt.

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

Aussie Open underway. First major of the year and Djokovic falls to Istomin in round 2. Federer (seeded 17, it's 2017, he's won 17 majors so, according to some, maybe the stars are aligning) to play Berdych in round 3 and Nadal to play against Alexander Zverev, the 19-year-old just about everyone is predicting to be a future world no. 1. Fed's got a terrible draw...Berdych would be followed by Nishikori and Murray, just to get to the semis. Wouldn't put my house on either Rafa or Fed reaching round 4 but it'll be interesting to watch. Gut feeling that the only former champion likely to win the AO is Wawrinka.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

rhymes450 wrote:Aussie Open underway. First major of the year and Djokovic falls to Istomin in round 2. Federer (seeded 17, it's 2017, he's won 17 majors so, according to some, maybe the stars are aligning) to play Berdych in round 3 and Nadal to play against Alexander Zverev, the 19-year-old just about everyone is predicting to be a future world no. 1. Fed's got a terrible draw...Berdych would be followed by Nishikori and Murray, just to get to the semis. Wouldn't put my house on either Rafa or Fed reaching round 4 but it'll be interesting to watch. Gut feeling that the only former champion likely to win the AO is Wawrinka.
I watched the Djoko upset and all kudos to Istomin who probably played the game of his life. He's no rookie, in fact I think he's older than the #2 player in the world and when he was down 2 sets to one, I told myself, it's all business now for the Serbian. Big serve, big game for him last night, the tiebreaker in the fourth gave him all the confidence.

Federer indeed has a tough draw being ranked so low, but I would never count him out. If he can serve well as he did the first two matches, he's got a chance to play next week. I wouldn't be surprised if he beat Berdych. Gotta cut down on his forehand errors though.

Zverev got some serious game, it'll be tough for Rafa.

Murray will be tough to beat here, and I will be watching carefully Milos Raonic who just changed coaches not only for this Tournament, but throughout the year. This maybe the year he wins a GS event...

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Didn't realize Djoko had fallen out of #1.

Injuries? Didn't play many matches after the US Open last fall?

Hard to imagine he hasn't peaked. Still play at a high level but we've probably seen his best?

Watch Fed and Murray fail to capitalize ...

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

Federer was absolutely brilliant against Berdych. I didn't expect him to play that well. If he can repeat it against Nishikori, the QF with (probably) Murray would be a must-watch match.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

rhymes450 wrote:Federer was absolutely brilliant against Berdych. I didn't expect him to play that well. If he can repeat it against Nishikori, the QF with (probably) Murray would be a must-watch match.
He was vintage wasn't he? As I was saying, it wouldn't surprise me if he beat the Czech or if he manages to past by Nishikori but the easiness in which he beat Berdych in 3 was superb. Everything was working wonders for the Fed express, from his serve to his vintage one handed backhand and he definitely cut down on his forehand errors. Without looking too much ahead, the game with Murray would be epic.

Nadal was equally impressive coming back from his tough match against Zverev. Make no mistakes about it, the German will be the future #1 in the sport in a couple of years. He's got game. Big serve, I love how he turns his shoulders to execute his backhand and it's pretty hard to read that whippy forehand of his.

His game reminds me a lot of Gustavo Kuerten. If he can take a bit of that free spirit from the Brazilian, he'll be a handful for the top 6 in the world. Ultimately, he'll have to improve on his cardio as the legs took the best of him in the end, but all credit to Rafa for hanging in there. After the tiebreaker in the third and the way Alex was playing, I didn't think the Spaniard would come back.

It was a great five setter.

A guy not many are giving credit yet, and I am sure he doesn't mind is M. Raonic who beat G. Simon in four sets and will be tough to beat.

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

Agree on all counts 10s. What I saw of the Rafa v Zverev match (from 4-2 in the 4th set) was outstanding. Rafa played out of his skin, using everything he's learnt in more than a decade at the top to somehow subdue the young German, who was unlucky in that he appeared to be cramping up towards the end.

Zverev is a dynamite player and Wilander, who's been around the block, said of him that he's a future major winner and almost certainly a future world no. 1 if he stays healthy. It was the way Wilander said that, without a hint of a doubt, that shows just how highly people in the know think of this kid.

Raonic could win this. He's been knocking on the door for a while and he's improved in so many ways...off the ground, movement, volleying...and he's got that serve. Immense week to come, with all the big guns, bar Djokovic, still in the hunt. Dimitrov, Stan, Fed, Danny Evans and Thiem all with one-handed backhands. Where do they come from? I don't see any juniors in Madrid playing with one-handed backhands. Coaches don't encourage it and haven't for many years. 100% two-handers. Yet, at least 30% of the players in the round of 16 at the AO have one-handed backhands. Hard to explain.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

rhymes450 wrote:Where do they come from? I don't see any juniors in Madrid playing with one-handed backhands. Coaches don't encourage it and haven't for many years. 100% two-handers. Yet, at least 30% of the players in the round of 16 at the AO have one-handed backhands. Hard to explain.
I am an old traditionalist and I learned my one handed backhand from my idol Guillermo Vilas. Back then, everyone was hitting it heavy with topspin but with the new advanced frames and improved strings the players you mentioned can hit it amazingly well with the smallest margin of error clearing the net with simple one time flat winners. Wawrinka has probably the heaviest shot of them all but when Federer plays flawless tennis, boy his one handed backhand is a beauty to watch and emulate.

I think these days most coaches try to encourage their pupils to start with the one handed backhand and if they are still not strong enough when they reach 10-12 years old, then switch to two. At least that's what I tell my young players in my club.

As you know, you can add much more variety to your game with the one hand, especially when defending by adding slice to your game, but easier said than done of course.

A past great champion that used well his backhand, but at times was not consistent enough was Pete Sampras. Also I got include another German dude who still playing despite his injuries and has a beautiful one handed backhand: Tommy Haas.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Shocking upsets in the Aussie Open as Kerber and Murray failed to advance to the quarters. Among the Men's draw, I can't quite remember at this point among the usual fantastic four where the top two seeds were upset this early in a GS. It shows how difficult it is to maintain the hunger and focus among the Mens' game where there's quite a lot of parity and the top 100 can beat you anytime, anywhere on an inspired day.

Such day belonged to Mischa Zverev who stunned Murray and himself. His game reminded me a lot of the Spaniard Fernando Verdasco, but unlike Verdasco, he doesn't let his temperament derail his game. Whenever needed he mixed his two handed backhand with a deceiving one slicer that kept Murray in the baseline. This is a guy that payed his dues in his career, went thru a lot of injuries and he just served his way for a date with Roger.

He served huge and attacked the net on key points, as his compatriot Boris Becker would do in the big matches.

Murray played a lot of tennis last year and it'll be interesting to see how he'll defend his points this year.

Zverev will face Roger Federer who again advanced to the next round. You may say this was another upset in beating Nishikori, and maybe so being ranked so low, but nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to the Swiss Maestro. With little tennis played since Wimbledon, that's six months without competitive tennis, this is amazing for Roger.

If Nadal can beat Monfils, the AO is an open door for the former #1's.

But again, watch out for Raonic first...

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

Crikey! A few posts ago I was talking about a gut feeling that the only former champion likely to win this was Wawrinka. With Murray out, that feeling should've been reinforced. A few days later,I wouldn't be surprised to see a repeat of the 2009 final (Was that really 8 years ago?). In any case, it's still wide open. Wawrinka v Tsonga looks tasty. I'd expect to see Nadal, Raonic, Thiem and Dimitrov reach the quarters in the bottom half. Dimitrov looks as if the arrival of even younger guns has shaken him up a bit...like it was time for him to deliver on his promise. It's going to be fascinating to see who comes through out of that quartet. And by saying that, I'm writing off the chances of Monfils, Agut, Goffin and Istomin...which I probably shouldn't be doing because they all have the potential to do a lot of damage. Looking forward to it.

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

Fed and Rafa continue to march on impressively. Rafa looked great against Raonic, though things could've been different had the Canadian taken advantage of one of the several set points he had in the 2nd. Wawrinka and Dimitrov have looked in great nick as well so the classic final is still quite a bit away.
According to Andy Roddick, a Federer v Nadal final would possibly be the single most significant match in the history of the sport:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-25/f ... ck/8210230

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

rhymes450 wrote:Fed and Rafa continue to march on impressively. Rafa looked great against Raonic, though things could've been different had the Canadian taken advantage of one of the several set points he had in the 2nd. Wawrinka and Dimitrov have looked in great nick as well so the classic final is still quite a bit away.
According to Andy Roddick, a Federer v Nadal final would possibly be the single most significant match in the history of the sport:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-25/f ... ck/8210230
Not too shabby for a couple of dudes that are washed out eh? :lol: What a final that would be, I am pretty sure that both would be lying if they thought they would get this far, this early in the year on the first major GS. Especially for the Swiss Maestro, to be off six months and play the tennis he's played so far is just short of amazing.

Since the change of coaches, Dimitrov has acquired a new level of confidence, he's got all the talent in the world as everyone knows, but he just managed to simplify his game and use the big shots when needed. He's cut down a lot on his unforced errors. But who am I kidding, I'll be rooting for Rafa on this one, would love to see the old rivalry rekindled in Melbourne.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Yeah one of them is kind of going to win by default as the top 3 or 4 seeds underperformed.

Nice to get a major late in their careers.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

The stage is set. This maybe the last clash of the titans on a GS finals event. Two superb semis that went the distance, both Rafa and Fed could have easily been on the other side of the score but they fought with a lot of heart and determination to be where they are. Kudos to Dimitrov who played a fantastic game, his backhand down the line gave Rafa fits early in the game and after almost 5 hours to see him trying to break Nadal back in the fifth set was amazing to watch. Superb tennis display.

I always mentioned that both dudes would have one or two more GS wins in them if they stayed free of any major injury.

A finals for the ages, two great champions about to add to their enormous silverware collection.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Congratulations to Federer and Rafa for playing yet another vintage GS finals. What an incredible fifth setter that was, the 26th point shot rally that kept everyone salivating, a dog fight to the end. This may have been the biggest win for Federer, yet in his decorated career.

If Nadal can stay healthy, another French Open is not impossible. Ditto for the best tennis player that ever played the sport when it comes to Wimbledon. Heck, after not playing any tennis for six months, any of the GS tournaments. Amazing the hard work he put in to get here.

In a sport where the late teens and early twenties reach their prime, you both persevered and proved that you're in an envious elite company that many can only watch from a distance. When you add the fact that both are past their prime tennis makes this incredible feat even more distinguished.

These two players arguably are the best tennis players. Ever. At least the Swiss Maestro is in my eyes, as I never doubted his talent and desire to be the best. To reach the quarters, semis and finals of the big four GS on a consistent basis for the past dozen years or more is really difficult to do.

Congratz to the Williams as well. Both Men's and Ladies finals proved that age is only a number. All four proved that with proper fitness, good health and love of the sport, the sky is a limit. Not easy at all to accomplish.

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

Well said 10s. Dynamite performance by both players. Amazing how solid Fed's backhand was. Hardly took a backwards step on it during the entire match. The video of the 26-shot rally you posted exemplifies how, after initially being on the back foot, he camped out on the baseline and took every ball on the rise. And he showed incredible strength of character in exorcising the ghosts of the past in the fifth when it looked as if he'd never get the break back despite all the opportunities. Of course the slightly faster court suited him too. All credit to Rafa, who looked a likely winner early in the fifth after taking a lot of punishment in the 3rd set and coming back strongly in the fourth. A fitting finale to what was a great tournament.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

rhymes450 wrote:Well said 10s. Dynamite performance by both players. Amazing how solid Fed's backhand was. Hardly took a backwards step on it during the entire match. The video of the 26-shot rally you posted exemplifies how, after initially being on the back foot, he camped out on the baseline and took every ball on the rise. And he showed incredible strength of character in exorcising the ghosts of the past in the fifth when it looked as if he'd never get the break back despite all the opportunities. Of course the slightly faster court suited him too. All credit to Rafa, who looked a likely winner early in the fifth after taking a lot of punishment in the 3rd set and coming back strongly in the fourth. A fitting finale to what was a great tournament.
Very astute observation, rhymes. You could tell that on the last set, Nadal's topspin was getting heavier and in order to counter attack that, Federer had to shorten his swings and hit on the rise. I mean one thing is to do it on your forehand, but to do it on a one handed backhand is very difficult to do and you literally need to jump up sometimes to get there. But when you do that, you lose accuracy and power. And yes the faster courts helped his game, every time he pulled Nadal wide on the Spaniard's backhand he attacked the net with the lethal backhand cross court. A lot of tennis was played the last couple of days from these two guys, and to pull off this thrilling finals was great to see.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

A very accurate description on the Tennis World today and what transpired in the Aussie Open.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2689 ... rely-lacks

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

AO Films have made a short documentary entitled Federer V Nadal - A Miracle of Modern Sport and posted it on the official AO website. This link should get anyone interested to the video (fingers crossed!):

http://www.ausopen.com/en_AU/video/inde ... 2262261001

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Congratz to Rafa Nadal for winning his 10th French Open. The King of Clay just wiped Wawrinka off the red courts with ease and became the second player with most GS trophies. Hard work and perseverance is what took him this far, after a couple of tough losses early in the year vs Federer, he played nearly every week after March in trying to get back to the top three in the world.

The big W is coming too and Federer will play his first tournament after a couple of months off. If they stay healthy, they have more in the tank to surprise the non believers.

Funny how some people thought these two dudes were washed out and would never win a GS event again. In my view, they are among the greatest ever.

Nice touch by the French showing a video of his 10 Roland Garros wins.

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

Rafa looks more unplayable on clay now than he ever did. The way he's spinning that forehand and finding those angles off the backhand wing makes it seem that his opponents side of the court is much bigger than his. A lot of the time, his opponents are playing from the tramlines and beyond...a hopeless task. Not to mention the way he's serving.

Wawrinka played an outstanding tournament, a worthy finalist, but today he wasn't allowed to play.

Losing a total of 35 games over seven best-of-five set matches is amazing...an average of five games per match!!!!. Despite that, the great Bjorn Borg still holds the record of only 32 games lost in 1978.

RG was a good tournament for Murray, considering his season up to the event and Fed looks to have made a smart move by steering clear of Rafa on clay. Djokovic doesn't look to be in a great place right now. Be interesting to see how the young guns like Zverev, Kyrgios and Thiem do on grass over the coming weeks.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

What a dramatic day at the big W today. First the home town hero Murray goes in defeat to Sam Querrey who's had his share of big upsets the last couple of years in GS events. With Nadal gone and Djokovic having to withdraw in the second set today, the door is open for the great Swiss to conquer his 8th Wimbledon title.

When I saw the draw among the top four, I wasn't betting on Federer to be among the final four as his draw was easily the toughest of them all, yet after the rather easy rematch vs M. Raonic a couple of minutes ago, he's yet to lose a set. He's moving as when he was 25 and at 36 years of age, this is great accomplishment yet for Roger.

The first two sets he was literally toying with the Canadian, his return of serve was the big difference I thought as Raonic was hitting rockets at him at a successful rate of 70+%, and that's a pretty damn high percentage.

The only slight advantage Raonic had in this game was during the tie breaker when he was up 3-0 but boy did Federer erase that in a hurry.

He'll have a tough match with under the radar T. Berdych, but the way he's been moving and hitting the ball, he's got to be the favourite now to win it all.

What a difference a year makes, he was about to have knee surgery last season at this time yet he's having a superb year so far.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Rest of the field got old?

So one noted that 3 of the top 4 men today are over 30 now, Djokovic just having turned 30 recently.

It could be a tribute to these guys staying in top form.

It could also be an indication that there haven't been too many young players to break through in the last 5-10 years.