OT: Pro Tennis Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: Pro Tennis Thread

Post by JackB1 »

I know this isn't a hot topic, but I'm sure there are some others besides myself enjoying the US Open :)

Melanie Oudin lives in my hometown and I can't believe she beat Sharapova. I also can't believe Roddick is already out. I was hoping for a rematch between him and Federer. Now, I think it will be Murray and Fed. Also, Venus getting beat yesterday was a bit of a shocker as well.
But, I don't think anyone is going to beat Venus.

Anyone else watching the Open?
Last edited by JackB1 on Mon May 24, 2010 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

I watch the other three majors in tennis but rarely watch the US Open....I have no idea why I do this though.
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Zlax45 wrote:I watch the other three majors in tennis but rarely watch the US Open....I have no idea why I do this though.
Same here. Maybe because the other three majors don't take place during football season? That's certainly the case with me.

With football getting underway, a great fall lineup of big boxing cards, racing reaching its stretch run and hockey around the corner, not to mention all the kid-oriented activities in which I participate once the school year starts, I don't have time or desire to care about any other sports now.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Watching it right now. US Open is actually one of my favorites, especially the first week under the lights. Nothing beats those early US Open rounds.

Oudin has a lot of fight. She really needs to learn to focus and not waste the first set of each match. She's pathetic in the opening set. She does have amazing court awareness and since she's not a power player, is really enjoyable to watch.

I assume you mean no one will beat Serena. Venus got the boot unfortunately. Don't mind. Serena is a hell of a player.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Oudin did it again. They're calling her the comeback kid. Usually, when you beat a big name or seeded player, you have a letdown the following game but not this kid apparently. And in case people think she's a fluke, she did pretty well at Wimbledon too this year.. A rising start.

I love the US Open. Nothing more electric than this tournament among the GS. the timing is right too, as the tournament unwinds, the NFL season starts.

Among the four big ones, the Australian open is the one that catches me me a bit off, maybe because it's so early in the season when Hockey is in full stride. :)

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

And yes, there's someone that can bomb the serve faster than A. Roddick. 6'9" J. Isner has a beast of a serve and he could well surprise at this Open.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

10spro wrote:Oudin did it again. They're calling her the comeback kid. Usually, when you beat a big name or seeded player, you have a letdown the following game but not this kid apparently. And in case people think she's a fluke, she did pretty well at Wimbledon too this year.. A rising start.

I love the US Open. Nothing more electric than this tournament among the GS. the timing is right too, as the tournament unwinds, the NFL season starts.

Among the four big ones, the Australian open is the one that catches me me a bit off, maybe because it's so early in the season when Hockey is in full stride. :)
Great win today by Oudin. She is amazing. Watchin her, she's not very flashy or powerful but she just kind of gets rolling ang all of a sudden, she's ahead again. Very competitive and conistent. She makes her opponent mess up...just keeps hitting it back to you.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

10spro wrote:And yes, there's someone that can bomb the serve faster than A. Roddick. 6'9" J. Isner has a beast of a serve and he could well surprise at this Open.
Isner looks like such a giant out there. At 6' 9", he is quite an athelete to compete with the shorter, more agile players. Another Georgian makes good! (besides Oedin) :)

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

What are the scheduled times for the matches today? I really would like to watch Oudin play, but ESPN only has a TBD for the time.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

sportdan30 wrote:What are the scheduled times for the matches today? I really would like to watch Oudin play, but ESPN only has a TBD for the time.
I doubt Oudin plays today, main matches to be on TV are usually the 1:00 PM and 7:PM EST matches. So for example Andy Murray will be the main event this afternoon, while Rafa and Serena Williams will get the night crowd later on.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

sportdan30 wrote:What are the scheduled times for the matches today? I really would like to watch Oudin play, but ESPN only has a TBD for the time.
Oudin plays Wed. against Wosniaki

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Novak Djokovic is one of the favorites at the US Open and does a fine imitation of fellow players like A. Roddick, Rafa Nadal and M. Sharapova. After his fine win last night he challenged Mac to a game and did a little imitation of him. If you want to skip the initial interview, just pick up the video at the four minute mark.

This guy is fun for the game...

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/909SL15Vg8I&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed>

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

10spro wrote:Novak Djokovic is one of the favorites at the US Open and does a fine imitation of fellow players like A. Roddick, Rafa Nadal and M. Sharapova. After his fine win last night he challenged Mac to a game and did a little imitation of him. If you want to skip the initial interview, just pick up the video at the four minute mark.

This guy is fun for the game...
Great stuff! Mac is the best. Anyone ever see him in that episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm where he gets stuck in the limo with Larry driving?
Funny, funny stuff :)

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Here she goes again. Does Oudin ever win the first set?

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

10spro wrote:Here she goes again. Does Oudin ever win the first set?
Nope and she wasn't able to reach into her bag of tricks last night.
Good to have an up and comer for the American woman though, but she's got to ditch that horrible tee-shirt and black skirt outfit. Wazniacki on the other hand.......yum yum :)

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Agree Jack. Now that Oudin has made some cash, maybe it could be spent on something ummmmm that's needed. :wink: Even the wife made a comment!

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

sportdan30 wrote:Agree Jack. Now that Oudin has made some cash, maybe it could be spent on something ummmmm that's needed. :wink: Even the wife made a comment!
I think I know what your saying, but remember, she's just 17. "They" could be "late bloomers" :)

p.s. looks like the Finals will be Nadal / Federer & Serena / Clijsters

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Soooo tired of Serena, but I can never tire of Nadal vs. Federer.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Federer-Nadal would be a dream final for all Tennis fans. Having said that if Nadal beats Gonzalez in the quarters, he'll be facing Del Potro who at 6'6" is playing his best tennis and serving very well. And that's a big IF, because Gonzalez is a grinder like Rafa and to be honest, the Spaniard still doesn't look 100% to me yet.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Here's what is wrong with tennis. They have the men's finals on Sunday afternoon. That's right smack in the middle of the kickoff Sunday! I remember it being this way last year as well. Why can't they get the men's finals in prime time?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

sportdan30 wrote:Here's what is wrong with tennis. They have the men's finals on Sunday afternoon. That's right smack in the middle of the kickoff Sunday! I remember it being this way last year as well. Why can't they get the men's finals in prime time?
I hear ya. But whether they're playing the finals in the morning, afternoon or evening, it's still NFL Sunday that people will be focusing on. Day and Night.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

US Open has been like that for years. CBS lets Fox have the doubleheader on week 1 so that they could broadcast the US Open Finals.

CBS isn't going to preempt 60 Minutes for tennis.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

sportdan30 wrote:Here's what is wrong with tennis. They have the men's finals on Sunday afternoon. That's right smack in the middle of the kickoff Sunday! I remember it being this way last year as well. Why can't they get the men's finals in prime time?
Because it clashes with NBC's Sunday Night Football and would get destroyed in the ratings. And WCO is spot-on about "60 Minutes."

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Then it should have it's own prime time slot. Monday doesn't work because of Monday Night Football, but what's wrong with Tuesday evening? This way, the players are well rested and the tennis fans in the US don't have to make a decision of which to watch...football or tennis. I'm strictly speaking from a tennis marketing stand point. They've been struggling for years now to figure out how to attract more Americans back to the game. Having the chance to watch presumably Nadal/Federer in the finals would be a great event to see, especially under the lights.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

sportdan30 wrote:Then it should have it's own prime time slot. Monday doesn't work because of Monday Night Football, but what's wrong with Tuesday evening? This way, the players are well rested and the tennis fans in the US don't have to make a decision of which to watch...football or tennis. I'm strictly speaking from a tennis marketing stand point. They've been struggling for years now to figure out how to attract more Americans back to the game. Having the chance to watch presumably Nadal/Federer in the finals would be a great event to see, especially under the lights.
No way CBS is giving up a night of its new prime-time fall lineup for tennis.

I don't know how to say this without sounding like a prick, because I really enjoy the sport, too: But it's tennis. It's not a prime-time sport in the United States, especially without a dominant American male in the final.

There are only five sports in America for which an American network would give up its prime-time weekday lineup to show postseason games: NFL, college football, college basketball, NBA and baseball. The NFL is about the only sport for which a network would give up its prime-time weekday lineup for a regular-season game.

Take care,
PK