OT: Pro Tennis Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Pro Tennis Thread

Post by 10spro »

The W finals is going to be a rematch of last years' thrilling quarters. M. Cilic disposed of S. Querrey in a battle of hard servers while the great Roger Federer took care of T. Berdych in straight tough sets. He's yet to lose a set and while he showed some frustration, his victory was never in doubt.

I don't know what else Tomas Berdych could have done, he served well, challenged Roger and simply lost to a better player. The Swiss man continued to return well and passed incredibly accurately when Berdych attacked the net.

It's not going to be a sure thing, Cilic tested Federer to the limit last year winning the first two sets before the greatest player ever turned it around. The way he's playing though, his high serve percentage, his returns, an improved defence, should launch him into his 8th Wimnledon title.

With Venus at 37 and Roger almost 36, as I always say, age is just a number.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Ladies and gentleman, the great Roger Federer. His 8th title in Wimbledon and at 36 could be the best player in the world again by years' end. Not too shabby for a guy that was told his best days were over, could not win a GS and had knee surgery about a year ago.

I always mentioned that as long as he could stay healthy, with his graceful game even at his age he could still challenge for major tournaments. Federer still plays because he loves the sport, it would be nice to see him and Rafa in a US Open finals.

He's done it yet again, had the toughest draw from the usual four and won it all without dropping a bloody set.

Impressive.

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

Amazing year for Roger. The highlight for me was the tiebreak against Raonic, when he went 3-0 and two mini-breaks behind and then won five points in a row, the last of which was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIvTLaRunWA

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I didn't get to watch any of Wimbledon, have been traveling the past week and a half in Spain. Of course it's on TV but didn't have too much chance to catch up.

But I was listening to a podcast talking about Federer and Venus. On Federer, he avoided his toughest opponents, Nadal and Djoko. But those players that he beat are younger and some of them are "cowed" by Federer.

In fact one of them apparently weeped after Federer defeated him? No wonder players in their 30s are still competitive!

Cripes where do they raise these kids?

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

wco81 wrote: Cripes where do they raise these kids?
Roger was asking a similar question himself:

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/roger- ... 06261.html

Of his comments, I'd highlight:

"I have played almost every player here [and they] wouldn't serve and volley," said Federer. "It's frightening to me, to see this at this level. I look at the stats and go into whatever round it is and see that the guy I'm going to face is playing two per cent of serve and volley throughout the championship.

"I'm going, 'Okay, I know he's not going to serve and volley,' which is great. We are talking about grass, and it was playing fast this week, and I wish that we would see more coaches, more players taking chances up at net."

and:

Because surfaces are not super-fast like they used to be, back in the 80s, you have to hit a lot of good shots to come through a Murray or a Djokovic," said Federer. "Especially over five sets, it catches up with you and it's favourable for the top guys.

"[Playing] a slugfest with Andy from the baseline or Rafa [Nadal] for that matter, good luck. If you are No. 50 in the world, it is not so simple to take him out. I know you can easily get sucked into that mode when you don't want to attack, but if you can't volley you aren't going to go to the net. [It's about whether] the coach has taught them to play differently."

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

After watching the first two sets of his match against Dominic Thiem, if anyone had told me that Del Potro was going to win the match and then go on to take out Federer, I'd've thought they were crazy. The Nadal-Federer match-up would've obviously been a hot ticket but Nadal-Delpo could be as good or better.

Four American women in the semis. Sam Querrey, who's having a great season, was close to joining them as a semi-finalist, but lost to a player with a very similar style, who's also been playing well recently. Could Anderson or Carreño-Busta spring a surprise and take the title?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

There's no doubt in my mind that the winner of Nadal-Delpo match will eventually be crowned the US Open champion. I respect Anderson's serve and the Spaniard will have to return well and have him play one more shot from the baseline to advance. There was no way Delpo could have pulled the miracle that he did against Thiem, but that massive Argentinian crowd had something to do with it, it felt like a Davis Cup match.

Thiem felt the pressure when he lost both match points and point by point Delpo started to believe he could actually pull the upset. It was the match of the tournament for me, just amazing shot making by both players under pressured. Jokingly Delpo said after the match that he deserved the trophy already after that match and you wonder indeed how much more confidence it gave him when he faced Federer.

It was a good match again for the Argentinian. If he stays healthy, serves well and executes his strong forehand(best in the circuit when he is ON) to Nadals' right side, he can beat Rafa. Question is how much he's got left in the tank and for Rafa, this is his real first tough opponent of the tournament. He had a much more favourable draw than Federer.

I thought that Federer's movement at the US Open was a bit restricted, maybe his back was not 100% as he struggled somehow in the earlier matches although never looked that he was in danger of being upset. But ultimately Delpo played a patient game, served well and was the aggressor going for more winners.

Still, a fantastic year for Roger wishing him continuous good health.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Big congratz to Rafa Nadal. After a tough couple of years marred by injuries, he came back stronger in 2017 despite the early losses against Federer earlier in the year. One can argue that Murray and Djokovic weren't available for the draw, but the way both players have struggled with injuries this summer, Nadal would have been equally tough against anyone. His uncle Tony can retire in style now, the Mallorcan is in good hands with Carlos Moyà.

Ironic how some people used their age as an excuse that they would never win a Grand Slam ever again, and here they are, the best two players ever in the modern era just conquered all four big events in 2017.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

It could be a tribute to these players.

But it could also be that the development pipeline for the next generation has been empty.

Maybe the more talented youngsters are pursuing golf if they're not going team sports.

Though there is suppose to be this one 20 year old Russian who's won some big tournaments just below the level of the grand slams.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

wco81 wrote:It IS a tribute to these players.

But it could also be that the development pipeline for the next generation has been empty.

Maybe the more talented youngsters are pursuing golf if they're not going team sports.

Though there is suppose to be this one 20 year old Russian who's won some big tournaments just below the level of the grand slams.
Could be? Come on man, winning a single GS event is a feat on its own never mind a total of 35 GS titles alone between Federer and Nadal. Do you think K. Anderson will get another chance at a GS event? Negative.

Having said that, there are a lot of good young players coming up such as Thiem, Zverev, Rublev and Shapovalov. I always knew that both had something left in their tanks, their issue was if they could stay healthy enough to accomplish the impossible. Their love for the sport is genuine, unique. And both players just dominated the tour this year.

But I know this can't go forever, and I am ready to say that their window is closing finally and they could be top 4 material for only a couple of more years if that.

Learn to appreciate them while they're still playing, you may never see those records break again.

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

10spro wrote:
wco81 wrote:It IS a tribute to these players.

Could be? Come on man, winning a single GS event is a feat on its own never mind a total of 35 GS titles alone between Federer and Nadal. Do you think K. Anderson will get another chance at a GS event? Negative.

Having said that, there are a lot of good young players coming up such as Thiem, Zverev, Rublev and Shapovalov. I always knew that both had something left in their tanks, their issue was if they could stay healthy enough to accomplish the impossible. Their love for the sport is genuine, unique. And both players just dominated the tour this year.

But I know this can't go forever, and I am ready to say that their window is closing finally and they could be top 4 material for only a couple of more years if that.

Learn to appreciate them while they're still playing, you may never see those records break again.
What Federer and Nadal have achieved this year is pretty amazing. I have to confess that I didn't see this coming at the end of last year. In his press conference, Rafa said that one thing they had in common was the motivation to get up in the morning and seek improvement, a hunger that must be difficult to maintain when you've achieved the kind of success and wealth that they have, especially when injury strikes and the road back is a long one.

Undoubtedly true that Rafa's win in New York was accommodated by the absence of many of the top players and there even seemed to be an element of anti-climax in the press conference. Or maybe it was just me who saw it that way.

We'll see what happens in 2018 with the likes of Thiem, Zverev, Rublev, Shapovalov and co. Perhaps the most talented of them all, Kygrios, seems incapable of performing with any consistency. And we'll also see how Djokovic, Murray, Wawrinka and Co. recover from injury. And whether Roger's back problems continue to hinder him.

For the moment, Rafa is looking almost certain to add to his Grand Slam tally.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Really surprised to hear that Murray had hip surgery today.

He hasn't played since Wimbledon and tried to rehab but decided he had to have it.

Expressed confidence that he'll be back but at 30, coming back from hip surgery seems like a difficult path.

I don't pay too much attention to the tour events, mainly watch the Slam matches like most people. The tour must be pretty grueling to cause the kind of injury Murray had, which sounds like wear and tear related.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

wco81 wrote: The tour must be pretty grueling to cause the kind of injury Murray had, which sounds like wear and tear related.
Oh no kidding. Every Tour player has to present their schedule and attend a minimum requirement of the so called 12-16 top events around the world in addition to the two weeks of madness that the four GS tournaments demand. You gotta defend your points that you earned the previous year and some Pros just wing it the best they can as the fines are hefty if your absence is not injury related.

But you got no choice if you’re not in the top 12-16 in the world, you literally have to grind it out almost weekly to stay at the top. Guys like Nadal and Federer can be more choosy now because they’ve been so good for so long defending those points and titles. And both supposedly passed their prime and yet, here they are top two in the world.

Another guy that may not be ready to play top notch tennis is Djokovic with his elbow issues.

There’s a lot of stop and turn in the sport, the balls comes faster at you every year and with that, your hips, toes, elbows, shoulders, knees and what have you will always take a beating overtime.

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

Aussie Open beginning to heat up in all senses of the word. Djokovic and Del Potro had to overcome temperatures of 39º C and their opponents. Both of them looked very uncomfortable towards the end of their respective matches. Big matches coming up today include Dimitrov V Rublev and bad boy Kygrios V Tsonga, with the winners to meet in the following round...tough section of the draw!!!
Nadal and Federer looking at ease for the moment.

No doubt about the point of the tournament and what a way to finish it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy9p-eZT6-4

Apologies for not still not knowing how to embed videos. No excuse really in 2018 for such ignorance on my part, but there you go :oops:

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

So who’s this Hyeon Chung? Young South Korean made it to the quarters beating N. Djokovic in straight sets. Despite the loss, good to see Nole back in the courts after a long time off. Started the year very well winning a smaller tournament and seemed to cruise along until he run into Chung. I don’t think he’s 100% healed from his arm issues but nevertheless that was a great win for the 21 years old who already upset Zherev. He’ll be facing American Tennys Sandgren (great name eh) who upset Thiem.

In the meantime Nadal and Federer continue to cruise along.

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

First I saw of Chung was against Rafa in Barcelona on clay last year. He lost 7-6 6-2 but for much of the first set, he gave as good as he got. No mean feat considering how well Rafa played last season on clay. Then he won the next-gen masters in November. Looks awesome off the ground, very fast and from the Nadal, Murray, Djokovic school in terms of endurance. Must be a hot favorite to end Sandgren's run, though so has everyone else that the American has played and he's still standing. He looked great against Thiem. Hard to believe that aged 26, he had only two tour wins coming into the tournament. As one journalist cheekily put it to him in the press conference, they had been trying to find a past AO quarter finalist with a poorer pedigree but it had proved impossible.

I'm predicting Rafa-Dimitrov and Chung-Federer as the semis lineup, thought Berdych has looked great and could give Fed trouble as he has done in the past.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

rhymes450 wrote:First I saw of Chung was against Rafa in Barcelona on clay last year. He lost 7-6 6-2 but for much of the first set, he gave as good as he got. No mean feat considering how well Rafa played last season on clay. Then he won the next-gen masters in November. Looks awesome off the ground, very fast and from the Nadal, Murray, Djokovic school in terms of endurance. Must be a hot favorite to end Sandgren's run, though so has everyone else that the American has played and he's still standing. He looked great against Thiem. Hard to believe that aged 26, he had only two tour wins coming into the tournament. As one journalist cheekily put it to him in the press conference, they had been trying to find a past AO quarter finalist with a poorer pedigree but it had proved impossible.

I'm predicting Rafa-Dimitrov and Chung-Federer as the semis lineup, thought Berdych has looked great and could give Fed trouble as he has done in the past.
Good prognosis on Chung. I never watched him until last night. And he looked like he could go five sets if Nole was to test him. Nothing overwhelming in terms of strokes, much like Nishikori’s game he’s got solid groundstrokes while he could improve on his serve. I am telling you the Asians are coming slowly but surely.

In the women’s tour you have some Chinese players that will surprise a few the next couple of years, it’s good for the tour and for the sport of tennis.

Federer hasn’t lost a set yet and like you mentioned, Berdych has been playing pretty good tennis so far in the AO. Would be surprised if the Swiss maestro can advance in straight sets.

Pretty sure everyone is pulling for a Nadal-Federer finals.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Another big upset at the AO. Big win for British Kyle Edmund defeating G. Dimitrov. Much like Chung’s game yesterday, Edmund showed poise and a lot of power advancing to the semis. His huge forehand reminds me so much of Jim Courier’s lethal weapon (he even looks like the former American player), just pure power and precision. Dimitrov tried to counter that power by throwing off his game by using more the slice backhand but Edmund just kept on pounding and pounding away.

In the absence of A. Murray, this guy is making big headlines in the UK. He’s a young aggressive young lad, if he can shorten that big swing during the return of serves, watch out for him.

Whether he faces either Nadal or Cilic in the semis, both games were close encounters (he even took a set from a Nadal in Montecarlo) and it should be a beauty to watch.

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

10spro wrote:Another big upset at the AO. Big win for British Kyle Edmund defeating G. Dimitrov. Much like Chung’s game yesterday, Edmund showed poise and a lot of power advancing to the semis. His huge forehand reminds me so much of Jim Courier’s lethal weapon (he even looks like the former American player), just pure power and precision. Dimitrov tried to counter that power by throwing off his game by using more the slice backhand but Edmund just kept on pounding and pounding away.

In the absence of A. Murray, this guy is making big headlines in the UK. He’s a young aggressive young lad, if he can shorten that big swing during the return of serves, watch out for him.

Whether he faces either Nadal or Cilic in the semis, both games were close encounters (he even took a set from a Nadal in Montecarlo) and it should be a beauty to watch.
Wow! Didn't see the match and didn't see that one coming, though it's true that Edmund has a huge forehand and a big serve and he has had some good results...and he does look a bit like Courier :) . Disappointing for Dimitrov after that big win against Kygrios.

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

Unfortunate for Chung not to be able to complete the match against Federer. The general view is that he'll probably have to improve his serve a bit but the rest of his game is right up there with the best. Had some great wins in this tournament.

Despite his great tournament, it seems that Tennys Sandgren might not be the greatest of role models. The self-appointed commissioner of tennis had a few words of advice of advice for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ7WpfsyVfk

Looking forward to both finals. The Halep v Wozniacki will produce a well deserved first major for one of them and while Roger is favorite to claim his 20th major (20...that's hard to believe, when we thought that Pete Sampras had left the bar pretty damned high), Cilic is playing very well and some of us have very clear memories of when he blew Fed away en route to winning the US Open title in 2014.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Federer did it again, winning his record 20th GS at the Aussie Open. What a fantastic feat, a record that may never be challenged ever. He had to fight hard for this one though dropping two sets as he basically cruised along the tournament. Cilic put on a great fight, he’s won a GS before, when he was allowed to crank that forehand he open up the court to his advantage as the match was pretty tense.

Don’t know what other adjective one can add to this great legend, I always mentioned that he will continue to play as long as he loves the sport when the non believers thought he was just too old and past his prime during that 4 year drought.

But this guy continues to put his hours of practice on the court every year, a role model whereas other egos prevail and he’s very fortunate to have a game that’s so fluid, strong of both sides off his wings while attacking the ball on the rise and a solid serve.

While other top player’s bodies continue to break down, he continues to roll along. When you are involved in a sport that demands every muscle of your body to coordinate and sprint fast on hard surfaces while pounding the ball at high speeds in a long long season, staying healthy is difficult especially after the 30’s.

If you don’t understand how hard it is to roll, pivot, stop and turn on a hard surface on a consistent basis, just check the brutal blisters on Chung’s foot.

As long as Federer can pace his schedule smartly as he did last year, he may even win two more GS this year. I’d like to see him in the French Open again, we’ll see how he schedules his clay season but what he did today was outstanding. You can tell how much all these GS means to him as he was overcome with a lot of emotions.

A true legend, I just admire the Maestro.

Congratz also to C. Wozniacki for winning her first GS, she’s been around knocking the door for awhile and it finally payed off for her. Halep will eventually win one too. She’s too good and that was a close finals.

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

10spro wrote:Federer did it again, winning his record 20th GS at the Aussie Open. What a fantastic feat, a record that may never be challenged ever. He had to fight hard for this one though dropping two sets as he basically cruised along the tournament. Cilic put on a great fight, he’s won a GS before, when he was allowed to crank that forehand he open up the court to his advantage as the match was pretty tense.

Don’t know what other adjective one can add to this great legend, I always mentioned that he will continue to play as long as he loves the sport when the non believers thought he was just too old and past his prime during that 4 year drought.

But this guy continues to put his hours of practice on the court every year, a role model whereas other egos prevail and he’s very fortunate to have a game that’s so fluid, strong of both sides off his wings while attacking the ball on the rise and a solid serve.

While other top player’s bodies continue to break down, he continues to roll along. When you are involved in a sport that demands every muscle of your body to coordinate and sprint fast on hard surfaces while pounding the ball at high speeds in a long long season, staying healthy is difficult especially after the 30’s.

If you don’t understand how hard it is to roll, pivot, stop and turn on a hard surface on a consistent basis, just check the brutal blisters on Chung’s foot.

As long as Federer can pace his schedule smartly as he did last year, he may even win two more GS this year. I’d like to see him in the French Open again, we’ll see how he schedules his clay season but what he did today was outstanding. You can tell how much all these GS means to him as he was overcome with a lot of emotions.

A true legend, I just admire the Maestro.

Congratz also to C. Wozniacki for winning her first GS, she’s been around knocking the door for awhile and it finally payed off for her. Halep will eventually win one too. She’s too good and that was a close finals.
Excellent points as per usual 10s.

The women's final was a brutal battle, with both players looking as if they were going to keel over at different points in the match. Apparently, Halep spent the night in hospital with dehydration issues. In any event, it was a great contest.

The amazing thing about Federer is that he's probably a better player at 36 than he was at 26. The key I guess is maintaining his physical level. It'll be interesting to see his schedule for the clay court season. Right now, if he were to play Roland Garros, he'd start in the opposite side of the draw to Rafa, meaning that they could only meet in the final. That might influence his decision. Even for Fed, surely another French Open win is out of the question. Or is it?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

rhymes450 wrote:The amazing thing about Federer is that he's probably a better player at 36 than he was at 26. The key I guess is maintaining his physical level. It'll be interesting to see his schedule for the clay court season. Right now, if he were to play Roland Garros, he'd start in the opposite side of the draw to Rafa, meaning that they could only meet in the final. That might influence his decision. Even for Fed, surely another French Open win is out of the question. Or is it?
Yeah, would you bet against him? I don’t know, like I said I’d really like to see him in RG but I am sure that he’ll wait it out a bit and see how Rafa is doing with his body in May. But if the long range plan is to win the big W again and the US Open, I understand him skipping the French.

It’s a physical sport where cardio and muscle coordination mix it beautifully. If his back can hold off, I expect another great year from him. Having said that, I really hope that the likes of Murray and Djokovic can get back into the game soon. Guys like Kyrgios, Zherev, Thiem, Shapovalov better step up their game, it’s their time to shine. Dimitrov and Del Potro need more consistency as their window of opportunity is closing.

But no, I would never count Federer out of any event. He’s just the greatest player ever.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I guess people will know the name Cecchinato from now on. Strong one handed backhand, solid ground strokes and a heart of a lion. Big upset vs Novak in Paris, that tiebreaker was an epic one. Must admit that Djokovic has his chances especially when he had three set points in the second set but the Italian fought off those points bravely and played like a veteran.

This is as well as I have seen Nole play, he’s on his way back slowly I believe after injuries and should be among the top top 8 in the big W next month.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

10spro wrote:I guess people will know the name Cecchinato from now on. Strong one handed backhand, solid ground strokes and a heart of a lion. Big upset vs Novak in Paris, that tiebreaker was an epic one. Must admit that Djokovic has his chances especially when he had three set points in the second set but the Italian fought off those points bravely and played like a veteran.

This is as well as I have seen Nole play, he’s on his way back slowly I believe after injuries and should be among the top top 8 in the big W next month.

I don't know, the Italian guy sounds like a journeyman who was known before this upset mainly for being accused of throwing a match.

http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/2 ... cecchinato

If he can't get over these injuries, I guess he may be facing the normal decline most players face at his age.

Nadal came back from injuries and still contends and obviously Federer still wins at an even older age so you can't count Djoko out.

But if nothing else, these guys can coast on their reps and past achievement for years, probably collecting checks and endorsements. Of course these guys are very driven and competitive and want to keep racking up Grand Slam wins for their legacies.

However, I wouldn't mind seeing new blood just consistently beat these guys.