OT: Pro Tennis Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Pro Tennis Thread

Post by wco81 »

Mostly watch the majors now. Not even sure where to watch non-major tourneys these days.

I guess this is the furthest he's gotten in a major, even the semifinal vs. Djoko was new territory for him.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

wco81 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:51 pm
Mostly watch the majors now. Not even sure where to watch non-major tourneys these days.

I guess this is the furthest he's gotten in a major, even the semifinal vs. Djoko was new territory for him.
Actually he had a great Wimbledon last year where he also reached the semis, and helped his country win the Davis cup later on.

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

Sinner's been around for a few years now. Was two sets to love up against Djokovic in the quarters of Wimbledon 2022:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVVZ8rZDgZE

The consensus seems to be that he's made improvements to his serve, his volley and his sliced backhand, in addition to maturing as a player. He's a very even-tempered guy on the court, which I fell is generally a good thing.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

What a tournament for the Italian lad. He was just ready to play forever to win his first GS as Medvedev started to weaken in the late stages of the fourth set. The Russian played a lot of tennis many going the distance in this tournament and despite changing a bit to a serve and volley tactic in the fifth, Sinner’s passing shots were dead accurate. His serve was huge, his physical strength much improved cutting off a lot of unforced errors which was his main weakness in the past GS he entered.

And he wasn’t rattled despite being done 2 sets down, which shows me his mental game improved a lot too and the way he finished off with the forehand down the line to win it all, was an indication of his confidence in this match.

The new gen is definitely here, Novak may have some fight in him yet, when Alcaraz was asked recently who would be his main rival in the future, guess who did he mentioned?

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

Sinner's really made progress in the last six months or so, turning a 0-6 H2H with Medvedev into a 4-6, doing something similar with Djokovic and he's won the last two meetings with Alcaraz to lead 4-3 in their H2H. He's been capable of beating anyone for a while, but he's suddenly become the guy to beat.