Biggest Sports Upset Ever?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Zlax45 wrote:This is from a player who hit a two run homer in the world series.
Did it win the World Series for his team? No...so nice comparison.
I think he was referring to the 2-run homer he hit to beat the Mets in game 7 of the NLCS 3 years ago.. Kinda big hit considering the Cards when ahead to win the whole thing.

BTW, thanx for the memories Zlax! :x

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

dbdynsty25 wrote: No, but then they'd make the same excuse the NBA players made with regards to making a long season even longer by committing to the Olympic team. Guys will not be FOR extending that 162 (and more for playoff teams) game season.
There always be players that make excuses not to make a commitment. But if they do move the WBC sometime after the WS, big name participation would be higher.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Jared wrote:...but it's baseball where even the worse team in baseball wins 35-40% of its games. How often would, for example, a single-A team win against MLB competition?
This is why I can't get fired up about it. It's baseball; they are not playing near enough games to demosntrate anything important to anyone. Even the upsets don't mean all that much because you are looking at a tiny sample size in a sport where even the best teams are going to lose a lot of games.

The games are more interesting than 'normal' spring training games though, for sure.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:The WBC will only help keep spreading the game internationally.
That's good, because the international imprint of baseball is small in terms of participants compared to soccer, basketball or even track and field.

Take care,
PK
Last edited by pk500 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote: No, but then they'd make the same excuse the NBA players made with regards to making a long season even longer by committing to the Olympic team. Guys will not be FOR extending that 162 (and more for playoff teams) game season.
There always be players that make excuses not to make a commitment. But if they do move the WBC sometime after the WS, big name participation would be higher.
Not necessarily. You also could have a "Pro Bowl effect," where guys would find any excuse to skip it unless there was some sort of clause in their contract where they earned a bonus for playing in the WBC.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

fsquid wrote:Would love to hear your definition of a D1-AAA school
Okay smarty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_I

In football only, Division I was further subdivided into Division I-A (the principal football schools) and Division I-AA in 1978. Subsequently the term "Division I-AAA" was added to delineate Division I schools which do not field a football program at all.

[url=http://sites.google.com/site/bmdsooner/]My place for games![/url]

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

webdanzer wrote: The games are more interesting than 'normal' spring training games though, for sure.
Spoken like someone who has never sat out on the lawn for a Cubs game at HoHoKam in Mesa. Talk about "interesting!" 8O

Unless of course you're talking about the game between the lines...
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

webdanzer wrote:
Jared wrote:...but it's baseball where even the worse team in baseball wins 35-40% of its games. How often would, for example, a single-A team win against MLB competition?
This is why I can't get fired up about it. It's baseball; they are not playing near enough games to demosntrate anything important to anyone. Even the upsets don't mean all that much because you are looking at a tiny sample size in a sport where even the best teams are going to lose a lot of games.

The games are more interesting than 'normal' spring training games though, for sure.
Good points. You want a serious upset in this tournament? Get the Netherlands and Australia out of the tournament and let the big boys play with the big boys while in season form. It takes 162 games to decide who goes into the playoffs and once you're there you play a best of five, a best of sevena nd the WS.

So two wins for the Dutch team, hmm good for them but are they really better than the DR? I am sure it's big news back in Orange country but does any knowledgeable baseball fan really take them seriously?

Look at the set up of the tournament. Play a best of seven series like the NHL playoffs and they we can talk about an upset. Geez, being baseball the Mets of '62 could beat the Yankees of '61 for that matter in this tournament format. And for those that don't have a good memory, yes that was the worst Mets and best Yankee teams that I can remember.

Most players are still in pre-season form and are taking this WBC as a warm up to the big league.

johnvon314
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by johnvon314 »

Surprised no one has mentioned N.C. State over Phi Jamma Slamma Houston in '83. That has to be one of the best upset finishes in memory.

Also I seem to recall Chaminade upset another top team later in the 80's in the same tournament. No one overlooks them now.

John

johnvon314
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by johnvon314 »

bdoughty wrote:
fsquid wrote:Would love to hear your definition of a D1-AAA school
Okay smarty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_I

In football only, Division I was further subdivided into Division I-A (the principal football schools) and Division I-AA in 1978. Subsequently the term "Division I-AAA" was added to delineate Division I schools which do not field a football program at all.
Later in the same article, it says the term Division 1-AAA is considered "unofficial."

John

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

johnvon314 wrote:Surprised no one has mentioned N.C. State over Phi Jamma Slamma Houston in '83. That has to be one of the best upset finishes in memory.
I remember tripping on that one...

Guy Lewis puts a heavily favored team with Clyde Drexler and Akeem Olajuwon into the four corners with a lead with 5? mins to go...what a dumbass.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

johnvon314 wrote: Later in the same article, it says the term Division 1-AAA is considered "unofficial."
Still was used, still sticking with it, still enjoy making squid look bad.

N.C. State was less of an upset than it was yet another comeback. They called em the "cardiac" kids for a reason. The biggest upset in the 83 tourney was Georgia making it all the way to the Final Four, in their first ever tourney.

I do miss the days when ESPN was in charge of the Tourney. Also got to see Phi Slamma Jamma in person when they came to Lubbock to play Tech (either 82 or 83 I forget). Guy was there with his checkered towel.
[url=http://sites.google.com/site/bmdsooner/]My place for games![/url]