Bowl Games/New Years Let Down

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

MUTTS
Starting 5
Starting 5

Bowl Games/New Years Let Down

Post by MUTTS »

Anyone else not care?

Matchups with 7-5 and 8-4 teams. I'm a huge football guy. Love it. Officiate it on Friday nights. I just cant get into these matchups today. I am a sports fan but not a hockey guy although I'll play the videogame and take in a Cornell game and a couple of Syracuse Crunch games each year. Nonetheless, while running on the treadmill for 90 minutes i found the Winter Classic at Wrigley far more interesting tv than the Capital One Bowl or whatever the hell they call it. Geez, the Cotton Bowl is Friday afternoon. I work Friday afernoon. Its been said b4 but this system stinks. My .02.
Tony

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

I started getting interested today. USC - Penn St will be a fun game. Plus we get the first BCS game with Cincy/Va Tech.

Also, how can we as a forum and a large majority of Boston College haters not be thrilled with what happened yesterday.

Vandy 16 BC 14

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gam ... &confId=80

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

bdoughty wrote: Also, how can we as a forum and a large majority of Boston College haters not be thrilled with what happened yesterday.

Vandy 16 BC 14
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The BCS has sucked all the life out of New Year's Day bowl games. This used to be the second-biggest football day on the calendar, behind Super Bowl Sunday.

Not anymore.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

What is up with the hatred with Boston College?

You guys know I am a season ticket holder and I didn't even care about the BC game yesterday as I was working when the game took place.
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

I was talking with some friends today about the success of the Winter Classic and I noted that it wouldn't be possible, least on this scale, if the NCAA hadn't alienated a television audience that it owned for 40 years.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

It's not hatred towards Boston College...it's hatred towards all things Boston in general. Them having the most annoying fans in sports doesn't help their cause.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

dbdynsty25 wrote:It's not hatred towards Boston College...it's hatred towards all things Boston in general. Them having the most annoying fans in sports doesn't help their cause.
DB gets partial credit as pretty much everything he said is correct. As for the hate around here he did leave out a big factor...

http://www.digitalsportspage.com/module ... hor=Parker

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Bowl season ended for me yesterday. My Wolverines were a total bust, but my Owls finished off a great season earlier this week with a win over Western Michigan in the Texas Bowl. It's great to see a small school with some of the toughest academic standards in the country go 10-3. The Rice baseball team has been great for years, but it's nice to see the football team gets some wins.

Also happy my wife's Cougars put Air Force down Wednesday.

It was a good week for our household.

icvu42
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by icvu42 »

I like the good ole days when Fiesta and Cotton Bowl played at 1PM. The Rose Bowl at 4:30PM, and the Orange and Sugar at 8PM.

I was much more into Villanova/Marquette hoops today than any of the bowl games.

Rick

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

Most of Boston hates Boston College since there is so many colleges/universities in the city. Just an FYI!!

I watched all of the Winter Classic over any bowl games....Also USC is killing Penn State.
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

Pete
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Pete »

I watched bits and pieces of the bowl games today. The matchups just didn't interest me.

Watched the hockey game and plan on tuning into the new MLB Network and watching Don Larsen's perfect game at 7:00.

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

bdoughty wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:It's not hatred towards Boston College...it's hatred towards all things Boston in general. Them having the most annoying fans in sports doesn't help their cause.
DB gets partial credit as pretty much everything he said is correct. As for the hate around here he did leave out a big factor...

Good ol Parker :wink:

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

bdoughty wrote:

Wow, I had forgotten about Parker. I always got a kick out of his posts. Him, Siam, Superior Man, Riddle whatever it was.. All good clean free entertainment

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

The only times I really pay any close attention to college football is opening weekend and the bowls. The past couple of years my bowl interest has been fading. I used to love it when the bowls had names that made sense and most took place within a couple of days.

I looked at the entire bowl schedule today and they are spread out all over the place. Plus, I don't even know what most of them are anymore due to the sponsorship names. They are all meaningless to me. One game on a time does not interest me. If a game is a blowout, then I have to watch it or do something else. When so many games used to be on at once I could always find something I liked. I knew I only had to set aside a day or two and I'd be sure to get in some great games. I don't really care enough about any one game to make sure I'm around to watch it.
-Matt

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

matthewk wrote:The only times I really pay any close attention to college football is opening weekend and the bowls. The past couple of years my bowl interest has been fading. I used to love it when the bowls had names that made sense and most took place within a couple of days.

I looked at the entire bowl schedule today and they are spread out all over the place. Plus, I don't even know what most of them are anymore due to the sponsorship names. They are all meaningless to me. One game on a time does not interest me. If a game is a blowout, then I have to watch it or do something else. When so many games used to be on at once I could always find something I liked. I knew I only had to set aside a day or two and I'd be sure to get in some great games. I don't really care enough about any one game to make sure I'm around to watch it.
I think a lot people feel the same way. There are a shitload of empty seats at most of these New Years Day Bowl games.
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

JackDog wrote:I think a lot people feel the same way. There are a shitload of empty seats at most of these New Years Day Bowl games.
While I agree that Bowl season seems more underwhelming than ever, I think we are seeing some of the first effects of the economy on the sports world. Regular season events still have the crutch of season ticket holders that likely committed prior to the ongoing meltdown, but the Bowls (and neutral-court college hoops games, have you seen how empty those have been?) rely on an awful lot of fans ponying up for a plane ride, hotel rooms, and a ticket to the game. That's a tough expense to swallow right now.

I was glad to see Iowa win today, at least the Big Ten won't be shut out...

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Bowl season is and has been dead to me for years.

The only game I have any real interest in is the Forida-Oklahoma game.

Thank you NCAA!!!

P.S. Nice job Big 10...but what do you expect from a conference that doesnt know how many teams it has...and a final thought on Michigan :cry:

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

Good game on right now.

Big 12 offense vs SEC defense

Early advantage to Big 12.

Edit: Big 12 has defense too. 14-0 Tech

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Being sick all week.. I think the Bowl games have been great.

Ole Miss comes back and lays a smackdown on TT.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Utah beat Alabama handily last night to go undefeated at 13-0 and beat a lot of ranked teams. They also beat Alabama by a wider margin than Florida did. How can they be not at No. 1 and i'm not a Utah fan? :evil:

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Rodster wrote:Utah beat Alabama handily last night to go undefeated at 13-0 and beat a lot of ranked teams. They also beat Alabama by a wider margin than Florida did. How can they be not at No. 1 and i'm not a Utah fan? :evil:
They can because the college bowl system is the most antiquated, illogical, biased, and unfair method for choosing a champion ever invented, in any sport. This predates the BCS -- this system has always sucked. Take an exciting regular season and end it with a series of exhibition games. Woo hoo, can you feel the fever?

Sure, the games are often fun to watch, and the traveling to bowl games is fun for the fans and a great recruitment tool. But the championship system has always been a sham. The only difference between pre-BCS and post-BCS college football is that, pre-BCS, the bowls were mostly meaningless. Post-BCS, they are all meaningless outside of one game.

It's a very entertaining sport, and I don't mean to belittle the action on the field, which is very exciting. However, the idea that there is a "championship system" is a perversion of both of those words.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Yeah, it's a horrible system... Utah played their assess off last night for nothing more than a trophy.

Playoffs... MUCH NEEDED!!!

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

MizzouRah wrote:
Playoffs... MUCH NEEDED!!!
Agreed !

So what's the argument against a playoff system?

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

Rodster wrote:
So what's the argument against a playoff system?