2008 NFL Season

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

2008 NFL Season

Post by Brando70 »

I think it's time to take a break from the slime of the election season and cleanse ourselves in the good, clean, masking-agent fun of the upcoming NFL season. It has all the excitement of NCAA football, with the added bonus of players getting paid above the table and the champion not being decided by a bunch of limp-wristed reporters and grumpy coaches with axes to grind.

Predictions:

AFC division winners
San Diego, New England, Indy, Pittsburgh

AFC wild card teams
Jacksonville, J-E-T-S

NFC division winners
Dallas, Minnesota, New Orleans, Seattle

NFC wild card teams
Tampa Bay, Green Bay

AFC championship
Pats over Chargers (I hate myself yet know it's true)

NFC championship
New Orleans over Dallas

Super Bowl
Pats over Saints

Worst team:
Kansas City

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I will only predict that Miami makes the biggest jump in Wins this year. Not difficult since they only had 1 last year, but it will be the biggest jump of any team. The Jets will be 2nd and the AFC East will be considered the best division in football.

Ok, stop laughing now.

SPTO
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by SPTO »

The Bills will hitch their wagons to the playoffs and win a game this year!

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Superbowl :

Chargers 39
Cowboys 20

Worst Team : Bears

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

dbdynsty25 wrote:I will only predict that Miami makes the biggest jump in Wins this year. Not difficult since they only had 1 last year, but it will be the biggest jump of any team. The Jets will be 2nd and the AFC East will be considered the best division in football.

Ok, stop laughing now.
:lol: ...I cant stop laughing but going with the same theme...

The Rams will win the NFC championship game over the Bears...23-16.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:I will only predict that Miami makes the biggest jump in Wins this year. Not difficult since they only had 1 last year, but it will be the biggest jump of any team. The Jets will be 2nd and the AFC East will be considered the best division in football.

Ok, stop laughing now.
The Favre move was as huge for Miami as it was for the Jets, because there's actually someone that can throw to Ginn. If Ronnie Brown's knee holds up, I can see them winning 6-7 games and making a lot of progress.

SPTO
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by SPTO »

BTW I'm also cheering for the Dolphins to do better this year, except against the Bills. I want them to beat the Jets on week 1 so badly.

I want to see Parcells succeed in Miami in his new role.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I also think the Browns take a step back this year. Anderson was a nice surprise last year, but there's a reason why he was a sixth round pick. I think it will surface. Plus it's not good when your starting QB gets his bell rung before the first week.

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

Brando70 wrote:Anderson was a nice surprise last year, but there's a reason why he was a sixth round pick. I think it will surface. Plus it's not good when your starting QB gets his bell rung before the first week.
I think alot of Browns fans are okay with that scenario. Despite the good year Anderson had last season, everyone's still anxious to see what Brady Quinn can do.

There's been way more concern over Jamal Lewis' health than Derek Anderson's this preseason.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Brando70 wrote:I also think the Browns take a step back this year. Anderson was a nice surprise last year, but there's a reason why he was a sixth round pick. I think it will surface. Plus it's not good when your starting QB gets his bell rung before the first week.
But then again maybe its the same reason Brady was drafted in the 6th.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

XXXIV wrote:
Brando70 wrote:I also think the Browns take a step back this year. Anderson was a nice surprise last year, but there's a reason why he was a sixth round pick. I think it will surface. Plus it's not good when your starting QB gets his bell rung before the first week.
I sense more Kurt Warner than Tom Brady. That's not an insult, just that Anderson looks like a QB who had a hot season, but won't necessarily maintain that level of play consistently. It's also known by it's original name, Mark Rypien Syndrome. :D

And the Bears are going to suuuuccckkk. I am going to see them at Carolina in Week 2, and I'm glad it's before what small amount of homer sunshine I have left is completely eclipsed by their awfulness. I normally get Sunday Ticket so I can watch their games. I may use it to see what real football looks like.

The Chefs, though, are the Bears with a worse defense. They will both be drafting very close to each other, with the Ravens somewhere close.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Brando70 wrote:The Chefs, though, are the Bears with a worse defense. They will both be drafting very close to each other, with the Ravens somewhere close.
I think the Ravens are going to surprise some people now that Billick is gone. He was completely holding that team back and I think they will have a decent year. They aren't going to win the division or anything but they will be a middle of the road team.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Brando70 wrote:
XXXIV wrote:
I sense more Kurt Warner than Tom Brady. That's not an insult, just that Anderson looks like a QB who had a hot season, but won't necessarily maintain that level of play consistently. It's also known by it's original name, Mark Rypien Syndrome. :D
I was taking a shot the pro scouts in saying maybe they just screwed up with Anderson the way they did did with Brady or Terrell Davis.

I wasnt trying to say he was the next Tom Brady...

or even Warner...I doubt Anderson will play in 2 sbs and win 2 NFL MVPs.

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

I think Merriman is making a big mistake by playing this year. As a charger fan I'm happy I'll get to watch him play but everything I'm reading seems to suggest that he should just pack it in for the year and get himself fixed right. That knee is banged up pretty good:(

This is the year for the bolts to go back to the big game and make up for their pitiful performance in the mid-90's. What would make it all the sweeter would be if the 49ers had a cinderella season and the Chargers crushed them 49-26 in Tampa Bay. A guy can dream can't he?

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

macsomjrr wrote:I think Merriman is making a big mistake by playing this year. As a charger fan I'm happy I'll get to watch him play but everything I'm reading seems to suggest that he should just pack it in for the year and get himself fixed right. That knee is banged up pretty good:(

This is the year for the bolts to go back to the big game and make up for their pitiful performance in the mid-90's. What would make it all the sweeter would be if the 49ers had a cinderella season and the Chargers crushed them 49-26 in Tampa Bay. A guy can dream can't he?
Hadn't really followed the Merriman story but was surprised to hear 2009 will be his contract year. So if he has surgery after this season, will he be fully recovered to have a big 2009 year? Also heard that Chargers have a backup with a 5-year contract.

As a 49er fan, I don't expect a Cinderella season. In fact, I don't want them to just barely get into the playoffs and save Nolan's job.

I saw Merrill Hoge predicting a 10-6 season and a WC berth, which isn't likely, as weak as the division is.

Team needs to get rid of Nolan and Smith and draft better.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Ok, stop laughing now.
I'm thinking the Rams, but it could be a tie...

SPTO
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by SPTO »

Brando70 wrote:
The Chefs, though, are the Bears with a worse defense. They will both be drafting very close to each other, with the Ravens somewhere close.
At least the Chiefs have bought some time with a bright future ahead of themselves with all those draft picks. If even half the picks from this year pan out then they'll be a team with something to say in 3 or so years time.

The Bears will always suck in some form or fashion as long as Jerry Angelo is the GM. I don't know how the hell he could draft a guy who has an injury problem and even worse, Angelo knew about it! Talk about wasting a draft pick!

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

WTH!
It's official. The Bengals player who wears No. 85 will have Ocho Cinco on the back of his jersey. Let's let the AP explain:

"The Bengals said Thursday that they will refer to the receiver formerly known as Chad Johnson by his new legal name, Chad Ocho Cinco, in all club business. That includes the back of his jersey for Sunday's season opener at Baltimore."

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Inuyasha wrote:WTH!
It's official. The Bengals player who wears No. 85 will have Ocho Cinco on the back of his jersey. Let's let the AP explain:

"The Bengals said Thursday that they will refer to the receiver formerly known as Chad Johnson by his new legal name, Chad Ocho Cinco, in all club business. That includes the back of his jersey for Sunday's season opener at Baltimore."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thats one funny dude. He is trying to be funny right?

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Rams at Eagles...21-0 Philly at the half.

Rams pass D looking better than I thought as they held Donovan McNabb to under 300 yds passing in the first half... 297 yds on 16/24 and 3 TDs.
Things are looking pretty good.

I think they might actually get a sack in the second half with that revamped Dline.

Steven Jackson showed up to the game.

Marc Bulger didnt throw an INT

More Good news...Orlando Pace was not hurt.

Ya gotta laugh to keep from crying :lol: :lol: :lol:

Go LAMBS!

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

I am watching the Falcons game on TV and actually enjoying the game. It has been a while since i have seen the Falcons play a game with an actual NFL game plan. Assuming that they don't blow the 10 point lead and win this game, I think they could be respectable this year - which is all I could expect.

Michael Turner is either a great back or a good back and the Lions are making him look great. Ryan looks pretty good for a rookie - 65 yard TD for his first pass! Obviously there will be growing pains, but I would rather be a Falcons fan than a Lions fan at this point - and I would say that even if the Lions come back and win this one.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

The Joe Flacco era in Baltimore started with a38 yard TD run and a win.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

XXXIV wrote:Rams at Eagles...21-0 Philly at the half.

Rams pass D looking better than I thought as they held Donovan McNabb to under 300 yds passing in the first half... 297 yds on 16/24 and 3 TDs.
Things are looking pretty good.

I think they might actually get a sack in the second half with that revamped Dline.

Steven Jackson showed up to the game.

Marc Bulger didnt throw an INT

More Good news...Orlando Pace was not hurt.

Final analysis of Rams season opener.

Defense was even better in the second half only allowing 17 points for a 38-3 final in favor of the Eagles.

Another sign of improvement in the 2nd half...McNabb threw NO Td's in the second half...Thats right ...None.

The Rams amazing new defensive line failed to get a sack but they did try really really hard.

Steven Jackson while not gaining many yards was in uniform and looked interested.

Bulger remained INT free.

Pace is still relatively healthy.

I know its early yet but Rams punter Donnie Jones is Pro Bowl bound... 10 punts for a 48.5 yard average. 3 of them inside the 20. Pretty sweet!!!

The Rams players are all still dear friends.

Despite the "loss"(which was much closer than the 38-3 final)The Super Bowl seems to be well within their grasp.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

That Rams game was prob some of the worst 'pro' football I've seen in years... It looked like they've already given-up on the season by the 2nd quarter.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I see the Steelers installed the Robo QB offense in the offseason.