OT: Sipping Alcohol??

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

I say get both bottles and f*** the wedding.

thebigcaptain
Mario Mendoza

Post by thebigcaptain »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Man, I knew I could count on you guys.

My brother in law and I are looking into it...we've got five bottles on our list now. I'm certainly not experienced, so it's probably silly to spend that kinda money on a bottle, but f*ck it...

Johnnie Walker Blue (blend) ($170 yikes)
Johnnie Walker Green ($50)
Macallan 18 year ($150)
Macallan 15 year ($80)
Lagavulin Scotch 16 Year ($70) - supposedly this one isn't really for newbies though, so may pass.
old scotch drinker here.
it says here the blue label is overpriced and overrated.
if you want johnnie walker, the black label is perfectly fine, or green if you want to fool yourself into thinking you're sipping something special.
(black label was winston churchill's favorite.)

but for a special occasion...please stay with a single malt.

your best bet from your list is the macallan 15.
not on your list, but also worthy of consideration are either the glen morangie 18 year or glen livet 18 year singles as well, both more or less within budget.

congratulations and good luck on your upcoming nuptials and don't get too hammered prior to the ceremony.
brides tend to appreciate little things like that.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Glen Morangie was the one my Dad brought out on a special occasion.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

thebigcaptain wrote:congratulations and good luck on your upcoming nuptials and don't get too hammered prior to the ceremony.
brides tend to appreciate little things like that.
Ha...yeah, that's why I'm looking for a 'sipping' alcohol...it's good for keeping more or less sober. Thanks for the tips...I'll probably end up with either the Blue or the Macallan 15 at this point. We're going shopping tomorrow, so we'll see what we find out.

I've read a lot of good things about that Glenlivet 18 too...and it's only 51 bucks at Bevmo, so that has hopped on my list.

rubba19
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by rubba19 »

I'd personally hate to see that coin wasted on a blended whiskey.

Go for the Macallan 18 for that price, or if it was me, 2 bottles of the 15.

Dip the end of your cigar (If you do...) and enjoy a nice smoke as well.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

rubba19 wrote:I'd personally hate to see that coin wasted on a blended whiskey.

Go for the Macallan 18 for that price, or if it was me, 2 bottles of the 15.

Dip the end of your cigar (If you do...) and enjoy a nice smoke as well.
Damn, Rubba, I was agreeing with everything you wrote until the last sentence. That is heresy to ruin a fine smoke by dipping it in booze! 8O

That said, I love a scotch and water and a cigar. But never dipped. :)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

rubba19 wrote:I'd personally hate to see that coin wasted on a blended whiskey.
That's a statement I can whole heartedly agree with.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Well we went and picked up a bunch of "sampler" scotches and the Macallan line is definitely the best.

We tried:

Bushmills Black Bush
Johnnie Walker Black
Balvenie 12
Macallan 12

Obviously there aren't a lot of "high end" scotches there...so I would assume the higher end Macallan's would be superior to any of those since their 12 year was in a class by itself. All of those bottles are 30-40 bucks...so it's on the lower end.

However...we also picked up a few VSOP level cognac samplers and we REALLY seemed to liked those better. Maybe it's because I'm a rookie...but they seemed a lot less harsh and a lot smoother going down. In the same price range, both the Hennessy and Courvosier blends where great. So now we're kind of moving towards that.

This thread is actually turning more into the discussion than a recommendation I guess. I appreciate everyone's opinions...you guys pointed me in the right direction, that's for sure. Right now it's a toss up between the Macallan 12 scotch and the Courvosier VSOP...both are under 40 bucks.

We may end up going for an XO level cognac (~100 bucks) since we're both cigar smokers and apparently cognacs are superior to scotch while puffing...so that's always in the back of our minds as well. Good times...it's a rough life when the biggest decision you have to make is what 100 dollar bottle of alcohol you want to sip on. Cheers.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

First and foremost, congrats on the wedding!

Secondly...

http://www.digitalsportspage.com/module ... ght=scotch

Third, I agree with Macallan's, any age. I do also enjoy Glenfiddich.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Just give me some rum

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Hey, congrats DB. We just celebrated our 14th anniversary and I have always been happy to be married. I wish you and your new wife the best.

It's obviously a little late for recommendations, but my wife bought me a bottle of the 21-year Macallan Fine Oak to help me get through the Marquette winter. It's not only an incredible scotch, it's a testament to marriage!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

It's never too late for recommendations...I haven't purchased anything yet!

And Spooky...your memory is better than mine...2004??? :lol:

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

When is the wedding DB? I want to know so I can unleash Jack for OffTopicFest 2008 while you're away. :)

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

DB, if you're having some guys who aren't scotch drinkers or big liquor guys, Dalwhinnie is also a great starter scotch. It has a good whiskey flavor, but it's a little lighter and less aggressive than some of the others. Plus it's moderately priced (about $50-60 a bottle).

But it's pretty hard to beat any of the Macallans in terms of stuff that's affordable and good.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

June 7...get it...06.07.08? LOL...clever huh? It actually wasn't even on purpose. I'll have internet access for the first 5 days of the honeymoon...then I'll be MIA, so be sure you start the offtopicfest on or after Friday June 13th.

I'll definitely look into the Dalwhinnie Brando...thanks. I'm pretty sure they had a mini bottle at Bevmo that I can try. I definitely thought the Macallan 12 was the best of the scotches so I may pick up the 15 for about 75 bucks. Just as a little treat.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:June 7...get it...06.07.08? LOL...clever huh? It actually wasn't even on purpose. I'll have internet access for the first 5 days of the honeymoon...then I'll be MIA, so be sure you start the offtopicfest on or after Friday June 13th.
If you visit DSP in those five days after your wedding, you have serious addiction issues, man!

Now, listen to the little voice in your head, "Go for the scotch ... go for the scotch."

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:If you visit DSP in those five days after your wedding, you have serious addiction issues, man!
Haha...well I'm thinking about in the evening after Kelly has gone to sleep. I usually am up a few hours after she goes to sleep. Satisfied of course.

I'm leaning towards a Macallan and a cognac of some sort. Nothing wrong with two bottles!

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

dbdynsty25 wrote:June 7...get it...06.07.08? LOL...clever huh? It actually wasn't even on purpose. I'll have internet access for the first 5 days of the honeymoon...then I'll be MIA, so be sure you start the offtopicfest on or after Friday June 13th.

I'll definitely look into the Dalwhinnie Brando...thanks. I'm pretty sure they had a mini bottle at Bevmo that I can try. I definitely thought the Macallan 12 was the best of the scotches so I may pick up the 15 for about 75 bucks. Just as a little treat.
Congrats on your upcoming wedding DB. My five year wedding anniversary is also 6/7/08, so we'll have to make sure not to let each other forget future anniversaries. 8)

To get on topic, I don't know how you guys can drink scotch. I took a drink once and just about spit it out. Too be fair though, I don't drink any hard liquor and have no taste for it. If you ever want a cheap shitty beer recommendation though, I'm your guy.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

HipE wrote: To get on topic, I don't know how you guys can drink scotch. I took a drink once and just about spit it out. Too be fair though, I don't drink any hard liquor and have no taste for it. If you ever want a cheap shitty beer recommendation though, I'm your guy.
I spit My first drink of straight hard liquor out .

Its an aquired taste. Same as cigars...Same as beer even.

Once you get that taste for it...well...you get the taste for it.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

HipE wrote:Congrats on your upcoming wedding DB. My five year wedding anniversary is also 6/7/08, so we'll have to make sure not to let each other forget future anniversaries. 8)
Haha...nice anniversary...it's gonna be hard for me to forget though. I really have no excuse since the date is so easy to remember.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

I have a new favorite in cigars these days. Rocky Patel vintage 1990-smooth as a baby's bottom, with a dark chocolate hint at the finish. One of the best smokes I've ever had...
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Teal wrote:I have a new favorite in cigars these days. Rocky Patel vintage 1990-smooth as a baby's bottom, with a dark chocolate hint at the finish. One of the best smokes I've ever had...
Not too shabby...I'm partial to 5 Vegas Gold right now. Got a box sitting on my desk waiting for the bachelor party Thursday night.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Teal wrote:I have a new favorite in cigars these days. Rocky Patel vintage 1990-smooth as a baby's bottom, with a dark chocolate hint at the finish. One of the best smokes I've ever had...
I've heard really good things about the Rocky Patel line. I need to grab one now that I've read a DSP recommendation and see if it tops my favorite non-Cuban -- a Padron.

My favorite "regular" smoke is a Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur or a Henry Clay. The Hank Clays are ugly as sh*t, but man, I love the way they taste.

Take care,
PK

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:I've heard really good things about the Rocky Patel line. I need to grab one now that I've read a DSP recommendation and see if it tops my favorite non-Cuban -- a Padron.
If you like the Padron...try out a Torano Cameroon 1916. Phenomenal as well.

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prod ... -9BA&cat=3

BTW...if you're looking to buy online...CI is badass.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
pk500 wrote:I've heard really good things about the Rocky Patel line. I need to grab one now that I've read a DSP recommendation and see if it tops my favorite non-Cuban -- a Padron.
If you like the Padron...try out a Torano Cameroon 1916. Phenomenal as well.

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prod ... -9BA&cat=3

BTW...if you're looking to buy online...CI is badass.
Thanks. I'll check it out. I've always been very partial to JR Cigars.

http://www.jrcigars.com/

P.S.: Just checked the prices at JR and CI for the Torano -- identical across the line! :) JR's catalogs are great bathroom reading, though. Probably the most irreverent pieces of advertising I've ever seen. For example, JR will sell real cheapo bundles of 20 for $15 and say something like: "These cigars are absolute dog rockets, but what the hell, they're only $15! You must have a lawn that needs to be mowed, and this is the perfect piece of crap to accompany you during that thankless task!" Or sometimes they have a closeout of a top brand, and JR's owner will write in the catalog: "I went to Honduras to check out this premium brand and got sold a boat of goods. I got royally screwed on this deal, but this is still a damn tasty stick, and you can screw me by buying them for next to nothing!" Stuff like that. Wise-ass sarcasm -- brilliant.

Take care,
PK
Last edited by pk500 on Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.