Uefa Euro 2008 Demo has arrived.

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Uefa Euro 2008 Demo has arrived.

Post by FifaInspected »

360 demo now available.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

I really like what I see!!!! Curious how you guys feel about it. Player responsiveness is indeed much better. In the little bit that i've played it feels really, really good. Plus it has a broadcast camera angle that I really enjoy. It's pulled out further than most other broadcast camera angles i've seen before.

I'm pretty excited about this.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Wow.

I know it's just a demo and it's early days but holy s***...I love it.

You're right the responsiveness is definitely improved, the floaty ball physics are improved, through passes are much better, even the shooting is better (the finesse shots don't hang in the air and have the keeper flap at them). I just played 6 or 7 matches in a row and am totally digging this.

I can't wait for this to come out, (if it has it) 5 vs 5 online is going to be even sweeter...

FYI Demo lets you play a match between France & Germany, 2 min per half, in the rain (showing off the rain effects) at the Wankdorf (snicker..) Stadium. You can also use the same teams to play a Be A Pro match.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I only played one game thus far, but I didn't notice much of a difference in player responsiveness. Maybe that's because I had been playing PES right before, which is still miles ahead in that respect.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I don't recall if the meter passing was there last year but it doesn't seem to make much difference in this version, whether you short pass or long pass. Control of the player does seem to be tighter and the through pass is still ineffective in my view.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

I am confused. Is this the next "FIFA" or what? Is it the same engine as FIFA08 but with just European teams?

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

10spro wrote:I don't recall if the meter passing was there last year but it doesn't seem to make much difference in this version, whether you short pass or long pass. Control of the player does seem to be tighter and the through pass is still ineffective in my view.
Meter wasn't there last game. I find that, particularly down the wings or cutting inside the through pass is improved from the current FIFA 08 - I switched France to a 3-4-3 and was causing all sorts of havoc cutting inside with passes using Benzema and Ribery - whereas in FIFA 08 I'd just stick outside and cross it in.
JackB1 wrote:I am confused. Is this the next "FIFA" or what? Is it the same engine as FIFA08 but with just European teams?
Not the same engine as FIFA 08 - some definite tweaks, it's like "FIFA 08andahalf".
Naples39 wrote:I only played one game thus far, but I didn't notice much of a difference in player responsiveness. Maybe that's because I had been playing PES right before, which is still miles ahead in that respect.
I think that may be the case. I browsed the Evo-Web forums and a lot of other people are commenting that the responsiveness is improved - not to PES levels but better than FIFA 08.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

I haven't played PES and all I've played for the last two weeks is FIFA. I'll pass along impressions as soon as the damn dowload is done :)
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Macca00 wrote:
JackB1 wrote:I am confused. Is this the next "FIFA" or what? Is it the same engine as FIFA08 but with just European teams?
Not the same engine as FIFA 08 - some definite tweaks, it's like "FIFA 08andahalf".
Naples39 wrote:I only played one game thus far, but I didn't notice much of a difference in player responsiveness. Maybe that's because I had been playing PES right before, which is still miles ahead in that respect.
I think that may be the case. I browsed the Evo-Web forums and a lot of other people are commenting that the responsiveness is improved - not to PES levels but better than FIFA 08.

Hmm, if they can tweak FIFA 08 to be noticeably better, then they could presumably patch FIFA 08 (which they've already done at least once right?).

But then they want you to buy this UEFA edition too.

Does it still auto-switch for you as the ball moves across the pitch and you're trying to defend?

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

EA has gotten a lot of grief for all the various Fifa releases. We should all be happy as the game have improved greatly and the future looks very bright for this franchise.

As for auto-switch. Typically you can select manual switch or Auto.. (as well as how quickly it changes automatically)
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I've never bought an EA UEFA game before.

Does it only include Euro national teams?

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Naples39 wrote:I've never bought an EA UEFA game before.

Does it only include Euro national teams?
Yes.

http://blogs.ign.com/EA_UEFA/2008/02/29/82287/p3

A write up on the changes made from fifa 08. Sorry if someone posted it elsewhere.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Here's my quick thoughts.

Player animations are tightened up.
Passing is still too slow.

The weather effects are cartoonish.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

It seems like it's maybe a little bit better, but the main issues with the basic engine are still there and are still the source of most of my frustrations. I haven't played FIFA against the CPU in a very long time, so it's hard for me to really compare, but I didn't feel like there was a very big improvement anywhere. The 'be a pro' camera seemed to be slightly improved, but not enough to make it very useful.

Of course, if the game has the OTP, I'm going to get it. I do hope they can fix some of the biggest OTP problems, such as adding in some 'I don't really want to touch the ball' situational AI so that two defenders vs. one attacker will no longer be an advantage for the attacker, or so that you can run near a teammate who has the ball, but he can still actually kick it while you are there, that kind of thing.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

I seen somewhere it said 1-8 players online and 1-4 in single player.
So hopefully it will be at least 4 on 4 otp if thats the case i may have to bring my midfield prowess to your OTP nights.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

JRod wrote:Here's my quick thoughts.

Which is why I question the meter passing. It does not seem to make a difference whether you short pass or long pass while the meter hits red or green.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

10spro wrote:
JRod wrote:Here's my quick thoughts.

Which is why I question the meter passing. It does not seem to make a difference whether you short pass or long pass while the meter hits red or green.
Yep. Not only that but if you go "short" on the meter you get a really weak pass.

I wish they would have handled like this.

Full Meter - very fast pass but there's a higher chance that the receiver's first touch will not be that good. And it also decreases accuracy.

Empty Meter - slower pass with more accuracy. But higher chance that defender can intercept or mark the receiving player.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

I don't think it's all in my head (i.e. I'm imagining things) as the reception at the Evo-Web forums has been incredibly positive - a lot of posters are loving the demo and most people think the response times have been improved.

I've played a lot of '08 against the CPU and they don't cut out passes in this demo nearly as much as they do in FIFA 08.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

It has definitely been tuned up. There may still be issues, but I just played 15 games trying cross after cross and...not a single instance of the target man chesting the ball down in the box! Now this may be an outgrowth of the quality of the players in the demo, but I'm sure that given the same sample in FIFA '08 I would definitely have seen several. If this was the only tweak they made I'd be thrilled!

There was also a lot less of the gratuitous extra touches in the box, but I'll definitely reserve judgment to see if it's because we're using Henry and Co.

There's a straight-out sprint button now, which is interesting. Instead of just playing the ball in front of you, one can sprint with the ball at your feet.

Offside trap is still FUBAR'ed, as the back line rushes up 15 yards with their heads down at breakneck speed LOL

It's hard to judge with just two good teams, but the AI has definitely been tuned up on offense. In '08 you'll see wingers aimlessly bring the ball into the corner, waiting to be shut down rather than crossing and passing. They are much more aggressive in the UEFA demo.

I couldn't disagree more with those of you concerned about passing speed. Are you guys setting the passing to either manual or semi? If not, do so. I don' think the meter has any effect on auto. I have no problem with getting just the right pace or touch on the ball on semi. Crossing seems much improved from '08, as there are many fewer misplaced balloon crosses with the basich high cross.

One thing that has scared the bejeezus out of me is that there appears to be an auto-tackling feature. I've seen several instances where a defender slide-tackled where I was just pressing A. This could be a serious issue for us "any's" on OTP.

There also seems to have been some improvement in the control which allows one to beat a defender one-v-one without resorting to the silly RT dribbles. The players are much more responsive and I'm able to slalom around defenders with the better ballhanders by just using the LT and careful, subtle left-stick movements.

More after I get some more games in.

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Just played it...it's still nowhere near as good as PES2008. Game still feels stiff to me.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Just checked it out and I like it. Is it really not shipping until May 19th?
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

They must have pulled it down...it doesn't show up in my list.

MACTEPsporta
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Hey.. and... CRAP!!!

Post by MACTEPsporta »

Hey guys, I would love to tell all of you how great this game is. Just to irritate Zeppo, if nothing else.. But I can't download the damn thing. It says that there are no game demos currently available for download. Now that I think about it, I've had that same message there for at least a week. CRAP!!!

Otherwise, it's great to find all of you here, and I will see you soon. CRAP!!!

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Damn, he's found us. There goes the neighborhood :)

Just double checked on the official site as well as Major Nelson's blog; No news at either one. Strange. I wonder if it may be a server issue, as it took damn near 3 hrs for me to download the 1gig demo LOL

MACTEPsporta
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by MACTEPsporta »

Does it show as available for download on your demo list?