Another COD4 Update

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Another COD4 Update

Post by RobVarak »

A little something to make Teal feel better, I hope.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/20/gdc08 ... ture-patc/

I gotta say that the words "quick mute" make me extremely happy :)
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Quick mute? I'm feeling better already... :D Now I can mute your bitching and moaning ass... :lol:
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

tealboy03 wrote:Quick mute? I'm feeling better already... :D Now I can mute your bitching and moaning ass... :lol:
Whoa there, Roy Rogers. I pass along some good news and this is the grief I get? It's not my fault you keep playing those boring-ass S&D missions :)
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

RobVarak wrote:
tealboy03 wrote:Quick mute? I'm feeling better already... :D Now I can mute your bitching and moaning ass... :lol:
Whoa there, Roy Rogers. I pass along some good news and this is the grief I get? It's not my fault you keep playing those boring-ass S&D missions :)
Hehehe...I could just say it was the drugs talkin'...but it'd be a lie... :lol:
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I occasionally lurk on the official COD forums, and supposedly this patch was sent to MS for 'certification' last week. This certification typically takes 2-4 weeks, and apparently Infinity Ward submitted the same patch last month, but it was rejected because the host migration stuff didn't work acceptably in the eyes of MS.

Quick-mute is a nice option, but nothing I expect to use very much. Likewise for the new kill-cams--fun, but pretty minor stuff.

The big thing with this update is what will it do with ACOG and sniper accuracy. I agree with the general sentiment that those didn't work quite right, and though I'm not much of a sniper in general, I was completely worthless whenever using sniper and ACOG scopes in COD4. Best case scenario accuracy is improved without making it too easy for campers to control the game.

It's all well and good to listen to community feedback, but then again basically every other thread at COD forums is about how the M16 is an unfairly overpowered weapon. A pretty ridiculous claim if you ask me considering less than 10% of my deaths online versus randoms were inflicted by M16s, but it's what gets the forum pre-teens fired up.

Also, new maps are on the horizon for a spring release. The most interesting tidbit I've read is that some maps may use the airstrike/chopper mechanic as originally conceived by the devs--ie whichever team controls a certain point on the map gets to use those weapons instead of rewards for kill streaks.

countzero2k5
Mario Mendoza

Post by countzero2k5 »

Naples39 wrote:I occasionally lurk on the official COD forums, and supposedly this patch was sent to MS for 'certification' last week. This certification typically takes 2-4 weeks, and apparently Infinity Ward submitted the same patch last month, but it was rejected because the host migration stuff didn't work acceptably in the eyes of MS.

Quick-mute is a nice option, but nothing I expect to use very much. Likewise for the new kill-cams--fun, but pretty minor stuff.

The big thing with this update is what will it do with ACOG and sniper accuracy. I agree with the general sentiment that those didn't work quite right, and though I'm not much of a sniper in general, I was completely worthless whenever using sniper and ACOG scopes in COD4. Best case scenario accuracy is improved without making it too easy for campers to control the game.

It's all well and good to listen to community feedback, but then again basically every other thread at COD forums is about how the M16 is an unfairly overpowered weapon. A pretty ridiculous claim if you ask me considering less than 10% of my deaths online versus randoms were inflicted by M16s, but it's what gets the forum pre-teens fired up.

Also, new maps are on the horizon for a spring release. The most interesting tidbit I've read is that some maps may use the airstrike/chopper mechanic as originally conceived by the devs--ie whichever team controls a certain point on the map gets to use those weapons instead of rewards for kill streaks.
Yeah, the host migration stuff is a definite must have.

The M16 is a damn good weapon in hardcore modes, found that out this past weekend :D

I wish they would have made the Helicopter usable at 9 or 10 kills. I might be being a little unrealistic but every time I play and someone calls an airstrike, a helicopter is coming afterwards 85% of the time. And besides, there should be some incentive to get higher kill streaks.

Can't wait for the patch :)

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

The patch is live today.

Played a little bit, didn't see anything that will knock your socks off.

ACOG accuracy may be cleaned up, but hard to speak definitively without more play. Also, some of the new kill-cams is like playing TW golf with the ball cam on. :)

One interesting thing is that the playlist now has a big empty space at the bottom. Perhaps that means new playlists coming soon? I'd like to see more hardcore modes, and/or more mercenary modes (nothing will ruin a game faster than a super-organized clan dominating the other team full of randoms).

countzero2k5
Mario Mendoza

Post by countzero2k5 »

Naples39 wrote:The patch is live today.

Played a little bit, didn't see anything that will knock your socks off.

ACOG accuracy may be cleaned up, but hard to speak definitively without more play. Also, some of the new kill-cams is like playing TW golf with the ball cam on. :)

One interesting thing is that the playlist now has a big empty space at the bottom. Perhaps that means new playlists coming soon? I'd like to see more hardcore modes, and/or more mercenary modes (nothing will ruin a game faster than a super-organized clan dominating the other team full of randoms).
Yeah, thought it was going to be more exciting. The addition of more spawn points per level is probably a good thing as I've been in quite a few matches with spawn campers.

I don't understand why you can play a private match type on hardcore but not on public matches. There should be more host options. Guess that's why people on the COD forums are screaming for dedicated servers.

The game is still way better MP than Halo 3! *ducks* :P

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I personally think host customization for public matches is a very very bad idea. You won't know what the settings are half the time you join a match, and then you have everyone trying to host their own matches with their settings and with host ping advantage. Better to be fair and predictable with slightly fewer options IMO.