The really great TV thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Re: The really great TV thread

Post by AcemanPR »

Definitely will DVR the Daly 30 for 30. He is definitely an entertaining character to say the least!

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

An update on The Exorcist. It was off last week due to the World Series, but it was a great time to take a moment to catch your breath. The first 5 weeks turned out to be a fantastic story arc that just introduces us to the real story, and it is totally worth watching, even if the show goes off a cliff from here on out.

I'd say having seen the film or read the book makes it a better experience, as it draws, not just the story, but many of the same themes with similar story beats. But this is a new story, set in today, with the events of the first film referenced in a newspaper article the priest sees as he is doing research. The story works if you haven't seen the original, though. And being set in Chicago, it kind of explains the Cubs win last night. Not really.

The show works, at least over these first five episodes, because this is not the same scares each week. This is a progression of possession, and the story takes a lot of turns, some I sure they will get back to. It also creates one of the best representations of how a demon takes hold from the point of view of the possessed. That was a risk, but it pays off.

FOX has all the episodes online if you want to catch up, and I think FX is airing past episodes now, too. I used the FOX Now app on the XB1 to rewatch a past episode. It airs on Friday nights, so FOX is doing their normal thing, burying a good show on Fridays. Definitely worth checking out.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

AcemanPR wrote:Definitely will DVR the Daly 30 for 30. He is definitely an entertaining character to say the least!
Very much enjoyed the episode.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Just watched episode 1 of the final season of Rectify last week. A slow burn, but a damn good show.

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

My wife and I enjoyed the eight episodes of SIX that concluded last night.

After Justified, we're keen to check out anything Walton Goggins does and he didn't disappoint in this series. Apparently renewed for a second season, I thought the series did a good job of contrasting the lives of soldiers at home and abroad. Good action, pretty tight writing, and good performances throughout the cast, I thought.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Goggins is also great with a comic role in Vice Principals.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

sportdan30 wrote:Just watched episode 1 of the final season of Rectify last week. A slow burn, but a damn good show.
:D Amantha is so f***in hot!!!

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Fargo Season 3 debuts on April 19th! Love this show.

I'm watching 13 Reasons Why on Netflix. Not the best show I've ever watched, but it's entertaining, if not a little morbid.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Better Call Saul season 3 started this past Monday and it was just great TV! Gus Fring making an appearance in week 2 I believe! Love this show and Gilligan has said it's going a bit darker this season!
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

+Between Better Call Saul, Fargo, and American Gods, this is some of the best TV ever produced, all running at the same time. So much TV goodness.

Two episodes in, and American Gods has already sailed off into psilocybin madness, as we prep for a massive war of the Gods. Orlando Jones introduction as Anansi was intense as hell. Gillian Anderson's Media was as surreal as f***. But Peter Stormare's Czernobog was as menacing and brutal as any character on TV. And we get Ian McShane's Mr. Wednesday to guide us on this tour of old and new gods, who you know is up to no good, but you just can't help but to follow him.

Definitely worth finding away to get Stars to check this out. Especially if you liked Bryan Fuller's earlier work on Hannibal, Pushing daisies, and Dead Like Me.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I'm back on the hype train of Better Call Saul. Season 2 has been great so far.

Looking forward to checking out the second season documentary of Last Chance U. The first season was excellent.

Ozark looks like it was made for me. Hope it delivers. Here a quick synopsis.

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/t ... 635eb.html

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Season 2?

They just completed Season 3.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

There life of a cord cutter, I suppose.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Jason Bateman's new Netflix original series "Ozark" is now up. Started watching Friday and will wrap all 10 episodes up today. He's laundering money for the cartel and he moved to Missourah to do it! :lol:
By the way....it's dark, disturbing and addicting and it's one of the best shows i've seen in sometime.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Speaking of Bateman, I heard they're doing another season of Arrested Development on Netflix.

I never caught the first season of AD they did for Netflix.

As good as the original AD seasons?

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

wco81 wrote:Speaking of Bateman, I heard they're doing another season of Arrested Development on Netflix.

I never caught the first season of AD they did for Netflix.

As good as the original AD seasons?
Not even close. I could barely sit through them.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

tjung0831 wrote:Jason Bateman's new Netflix original series "Ozark" is now up. Started watching Friday and will wrap all 10 episodes up today. He's laundering money for the cartel and he moved to Missourah to do it! :lol:
By the way....it's dark, disturbing and addicting and it's one of the best shows i've seen in sometime.
Watched episode 1. Oh yeah its dark. Very good so far.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Watched last nights Halt and Catch Fire episode this morning, didn't see that ending coming with only 2 episodes to go in the series. :(
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

vader29 wrote:Watched last nights Halt and Catch Fire episode this morning, didn't see that ending coming with only 2 episodes to go in the series. :(
Well they're all going away in a couple of weeks anyways.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

wco81 wrote:
vader29 wrote:Watched last nights Halt and Catch Fire episode this morning, didn't see that ending coming with only 2 episodes to go in the series. :(
Touching episode from perhaps my favorite currently running TV show right now.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Naples39 wrote:
wco81 wrote:
Touching episode from perhaps my favorite currently running TV show right now.
My favorite current show, too. Also digging "The Deuce," David Simon's latest opus on HBO, starring James Franco and Maggie Gyllenhaal.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Mindhunter on Netflix is absolutely must watch TV. It's a David Fincher produced series, and he directs the first two and last two episodes. If you are a Fincher fan, and you should be, this will go down among his best work.

It's set in 1977 and tells the story of the creation of the FBI's Behavioral Science Unit. They begin interviewing serial killers and building a database to use for profiling this "new" type of criminal, ones that seem to lack motive. Great writing, acting and directing. Can't recommend it enough.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Aristo wrote:Mindhunter on Netflix is absolutely must watch TV. It's a David Fincher produced series, and he directs the first two and last two episodes. If you are a Fincher fan, and you should be, this will go down among his best work.

It's set in 1977 and tells the story of the creation of the FBI's Behavioral Science Unit. They begin interviewing serial killers and building a database to use for profiling this "new" type of criminal, ones that seem to lack motive. Great writing, acting and directing. Can't recommend it enough.

Looks dark and intense! I'll check it out after I'm done with season 3 of Narcos.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

tjung0831 wrote:Jason Bateman's new Netflix original series "Ozark" is now up. Started watching Friday and will wrap all 10 episodes up today. He's laundering money for the cartel and he moved to Missourah to do it! :lol:
I finally binged watch this series.. FANTASTIC!!!
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Stranger Things season 2 is fantastic. Such an enjoyable show. Perfect combination of so many things for me.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25