The really great TV thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The really great TV thread

Post by greggsand »

pk500 wrote:Interesting. Thanks for the comparisons. I've heard and read solid buzz about "Succession." I must check it out.
Succession (esp the last 4 episodes) is a masterpiece! A whole class above Billion IMO.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Watched episode 1 of Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan last night and its VERY good. Its on Amazon Prime Video. John Krasinsky is good as Ryan.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Diablo25 wrote:Watched episode 1 of Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan last night and its VERY good. Its on Amazon Prime Video. John Krasinsky is good as Ryan.
I'm through E6 and agree completely. Even his love interest looks real and not some typical barbie doll. (She has a little plump to her).

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

vader29 wrote:Was good to see Gale again. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2QjhOVKqpc
Been busy with Billions :wink:

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

The Sons of Anarchy spinoff The Mayans MC. has been pretty good,bringing back some previous characters here and there.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I'm late to the party but wow, The Americans is great! Currently on season 2 and oh do I love me some Keri Russell!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

sportdan30 wrote:I'm late to the party but wow, The Americans is great! Currently on season 2 and oh do I love me some Keri Russell!
Great show. I still need to watch the last two seasons, but I think the only place it's available for streaming is Amazon Prime, and I'm not a subscriber.

Keri Russell -- MMM. Uber-MILF. She's either married to or lives with her co-star on "The Americans," Matthew Rhys. They met and fell in love on the set. Lucky effing dude, for sure! :)

I'll never forget when my wife gave birth to our first child, almost 20 years ago. Her OB-GYN was this chick who was cool as hell. My wife is going into labor, and her doctor asked both of us if it was OK if her intern joined us for the entire procedure. Neither of us had any problem.

Her intern walks in, and she is a DEAD RINGER for "Felicity" era Keri Russell. I'm talking identical twin. I could not keep my eyes off her and had to remind myself about four times: "Dude, your wife is busting her ass here, giving birth to our first child. Dial in. FOCUS!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

It must be said that while they make Elizabeth a sympathetic character, her deeds makes her a monster.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

sportdan30 wrote:I'm late to the party but wow, The Americans is great! Currently on season 2 and oh do I love me some Keri Russell!
Fantastic show, sad it is over with.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Danimal wrote:
Perhaps the best show on TV for a while. Sputtered in the last 2 seasons IMO, however.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Naples39 wrote:
Danimal wrote:
Perhaps the best show on TV for a while. Sputtered in the last 2 seasons IMO, however.
I agree but hard to discuss without ruining it for Dan. I still enjoyed it even with the hiccups.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Naples39 wrote:
Danimal wrote:
Well, I made it through the last couple seasons of Dexter, so there's hope! I'm hoping I'll be able to make through the remaining 2 seasons of the Americans. Just started season 3 today.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I quit out on Dexter. I loved what we got in the first few seasons, but was ready to move on.

Better Call Saul's season finale is next week, which feels really quick. Been a strong season, but it didn't feel like any of the stories were wrapping up at all. Been a little tough as the three main stories are all pretty isolated from each other now.

The last episode had a nice reveal of Hector getting his bell. I like that they created a story for how Fring created the massive lab underneath his warehouse. It always seemed like an impossible thing to exist, so a story showing what they went through to create it was cool.

Wish it wasn't ending already, but next season should be ready for some serious fireworks. The finale may be nuts, too. Just don't know when we are going to lose certain characters.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

pigpen81 wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:Watched episode 1 of Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan last night and its VERY good. Its on Amazon Prime Video. John Krasinsky is good as Ryan.
I'm through E6 and agree completely. Even his love interest looks real and not some typical barbie doll. (She has a little plump to her).
Watched the whole season this past week, thought it was good. The side story of the drone operator was the only thing that seemed out of place in the show unless they are setting up something for a future season with him.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I don't know if anyone is watching the American Horror Story: Apocalypse, but it really has been an excellent season. It's weird, which is what to expect. It's a mash-up of, mainly, season one, Murder House, and season three, Coven. We also got a dose of Hotel, which is a season I have not watched. Much of the season so far has a campy goth vibe, but it still delivers the horror and gore. I do think the gore is toned down a bit from previous seasons.

But if you enjoyed the first season, last night's episode is really worth tracking down and watching. FX will rebroadcast it a number times, and FX is also pretty good about sharing episodes via their website or apps for consoles and tablets.

Last night was Return to Murder House, and it not only did not disappoint, it might be the single best episode in AHS history. I mean, it was perfection, and was essentially a love letter to season one. It was funny, dreadful, gory, and, most importantly, added closure to the first season with some small storylines, and was a great episode moving the current storyline forward. And Jessica Lange coming back as Constance Langdon is worth the price of admission. She just owned the episode.

Seriously, it's with checking out as a one off episode. It's not hard to figure out why they are there, and it mostly serves as a way to reconnect with the ghosts of Murder House. And with the closure and storylines that concentrate on the current ghostly occupants, it comes off as a standalone episode in most ways. You really don't need to catch up first. It has a different feel and look than the previous episodes, as it feels like season one again.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

For those of us that had a bitter taste in our mouths when HBO abruptly canceled Deadwood , HBO is bringing back the movie probably next year.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... ng-1158128
The majority of the cast will remain intact.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Jim Carrey's new show on Showtime, "Kidding," is one of the most bizarre, f*cked-up yet endearing shows I've seen. Digging it hard.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

"Godless" - 7 episode western mini series on Netflix.

Surely one of the best westerns I've seen and the perfect complement/companion to Red Dead Redemption
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

HBO has early access to S3E5 of True Detective, which has had a fantastic third season.

Season 2 was a considerable letdown, but the pairing of Mahershala Ali and Stephen Dorff is rivaling the chemistry of season 1's tandem, in my opinion.

And nice to see Scoot McNairy with another gig after the excellent Halt and Catch Fire.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

GameSeven wrote:HBO has early access to S3E5 of True Detective, which has had a fantastic third season.

Season 2 was a considerable letdown, but the pairing of Mahershala Ali and Stephen Dorff is rivaling the chemistry of season 1's tandem, in my opinion.

And nice to see Scoot McNairy with another gig after the excellent Halt and Catch Fire.
Absolutely LOVING True Detective. Tremendous start to the third season. I didn’t watch last season but season 3 has been awesome so far.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Loved them all, and anything similar. The Killing and such if anyone has suggestions, im all out think ive watched them all.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Diablo25 wrote:
GameSeven wrote:HBO has early access to S3E5 of True Detective, which has had a fantastic third season.

Absolutely LOVING True Detective. Tremendous start to the third season. I didn’t watch last season but season 3 has been awesome so far.
Great to hear.

Season one AWESOME. Am rewatching it currently. GREAT acting. GREAT.

Season two was crap. I liked the actors but the story was all over the place.

Will definitely be checking out season three right after Im done with the rewatch.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Have watched a few series in the past couple months.

Homecoming - Even now, I don't know if I'd recommend. Great acting, but the story was slow and relatively interesting, but I doubt I'll watch the second season.

True Detective season 1 - Finally got around to watching this. Really good, albeit it a bit slow, but the tension builds nicely. The acting was excellent. Recommended.

You - Supposedly this first aired on the Hallmark Channel, but Netflix now owns the rights to the series. It kept my attention throughout the first season...like an easy read. Creepy, humorous, and violent. Some of the acting was mediocre at times. A stalker thriller. Recommended.

True Detective season 3 - I skipped season 2 because of the lukewarm reviews. I've only watched the first episode but so far so good. Like season 1, looks to be another slow burn.

Silicon Valley - Just started watching this week. Already on episode 7 of season 1, but it helps they are only 25-30 minutes in length. Crazy to see Martin Starr all grown up. Loved his character in Freaks and Geeks. Great comedy that can occasionally get a little too dumb for my tastes, but it keeps me entertained.