The really great TV thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The really great TV thread

Post by sportdan30 »

Currently on Season 2 of Sons of Anarchy. I wouldn't necessarily say it's a great show, but it's been entertaining. Some episodes are better than others. Yeah, I know this show came out years ago, but it seems to be holding up pretty well.

Finished Your Honor on Showtime a couple days ago. Edge of your seat story (Cranston was great as usual) with a rather disappointing ending imo.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Only on episode 7, but already Startup on Netflix is likely in my top ten. It gives off a little bit of an Ozark vibe. Well acted and a nice progressive plot.

Between Yellowstone, Kingdom, and this show, I’ve been watching some damn good television.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Confusing, there's a show called StartUp and a show called Start-Up.

One is a UK show and the other is a Korean show.

The UK show is panned heavily, the Korean show doesn't have any reviews it seems.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

wco81 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:49 pm
Confusing, there's a show called StartUp and a show called Start-Up.

One is a UK show and the other is a Korean show.

The UK show is panned heavily, the Korean show doesn't have any reviews it seems.
This particular show Startup is on Netflix. Stars Matt Brody and Martin Freeman.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

OK, so it's the UK one then.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

sportdan30 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:35 pm
Only on episode 7, but already Startup on Netflix is likely in my top ten. It gives off a little bit of an Ozark vibe. Well acted and a nice progressive plot.

Between Yellowstone, Kingdom, and this show, I’ve been watching some damn good television.
Through a few episodes of Startup as well and it’s damn good. Agreed.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

wco81 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:21 am
OK, so it's the UK one then.
Sorry for the confusion. The show is very Americanesque so I just assumed it was a US only show. Great shots of Miami by the way.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

So I recently got the Spectrum app with the sports package and the NFL Network sometimes has black bars on the sides during games and always has one below the ticker at the bottom of the screen so it's never full screen like ESPN or other sports channels.

Is that just the way the NFL Network is? I don't have this issue with any other channels and had the same issue on Dish.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

MizzouRah wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:33 am
So I recently got the Spectrum app with the sports package and the NFL Network sometimes has black bars on the sides during games and always has one below the ticker at the bottom of the screen so it's never full screen like ESPN or other sports channels.

Is that just the way the NFL Network is? I don't have this issue with any other channels and had the same issue on Dish.
Your tv is probably just set to display the wrong resolution (or the tv box assuming you're using that). Meaning if your TV is only set to display 1080P and NFL Network broadcasts in only 720P there may be a conflict. Not saying that's what it is, but clearly there is a resolution/display issue with particular channels so that's where I'd start. Make sure either the TV or the cable box can support all HD resolutions. DirecTV used to have weird set top boxes that had glitches and weird crap like that.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:06 am

Your tv is probably just set to display the wrong resolution (or the tv box assuming you're using that). Meaning if your TV is only set to display 1080P and NFL Network broadcasts in only 720P there may be a conflict. Not saying that's what it is, but clearly there is a resolution/display issue with particular channels so that's where I'd start. Make sure either the TV or the cable box can support all HD resolutions. DirecTV used to have weird set top boxes that had glitches and weird crap like that.
I use the app through my XSX and the NFL Network is the only channel that does this. Today it's perfect except below the ticker there is a black bar.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Anybody watch Better Call Saul?

S6EP3. 8O

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Sudz wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:45 pm

S6EP3. 8O
Will be getting back to it right after I finish Ozark.

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

sportdan30 wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:16 pm
Sudz wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:45 pm

S6EP3. 8O
Will be getting back to it right after I finish Ozark.
Saul and Ozark...Two great series coming to an end.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

A couple of TV critics on The Ringer Watch podcast says this is one of the most loaded times in history for the debut of quality shows right now.

Right in the spring, not the fall. Shows you how much streaming has taken over.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Watching Ozark now but Saul very disappointed in. Probably could have been done in 4 seasons but 6 is too many. First 2 seasons could have been combined into one.

Want to see Saul from BB. I thought by season 6 we'd get there. Nope. The entire story with Hamlin is terrible. It's like tick tacky child stuff. I'll steal his car, I'll plant power, etc.... Who cares. At this point I'm rooting for Hamlin.

The most interesting character just got offed. Lalo's story is good along w/ Gus Fring and Mike. But Saul Goodman - take a hike.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I personally was ready for Ozark to end. It just felt like it had gone on too long in my opinion. You can only avoid certain demise so many times until it gets a little too unbelievable. I thought the finale was entertaining and fair I suppose. I read an interview with one of the showrunners and they summed it nicely.

I enjoy Better Call Saul, but it's another show that seems to be hanging on by a thread. I agree the story line with Hamlin is pretty petty at this point. I'm not necessarily anticipating a very happy ending for Kim Wexler, but I hope I'm wrong.

I'm still very much enjoying Winning Time on HBO, even though maybe it's over dramatized according to Jerry West and others.

The Tony Hawk documentary on HBO is excellent. How he is not suffering from CTE at this point in his life, I have no idea.

After watching the first four seasons Drive to Survive, I'm now a F1 fan. Such a cool and dangerous sport. Seasons 5 and 6 were just signed on!

My wife and I are watching the Dropout on Hulu. What a crazy story of a woman who seemingly screwed up her life just to be thought of as the next Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg, etc. We still have a few more episodes to go....train wreck. Good show though!

Going back to Peacemaker after not giving it a fair shake. Finally watched the first episode and now I'm excited to watch the rest of them. Reminds me a bit of The Boys, which I thoroughly enjoy.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Peacemaker was terrific.

That opening credits!

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Reacher on Amazon Prime is tremendous. Loved it. Highly recommend it.
The Alanis Morisette doc on HBO Max is superb.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Just finished the first season of Severance on Apple TV+. It's definitely a slow burn, but so worth it. The cliffhanger at the end has me excited for season 2.

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

I still think Better Call Saul is great. Just incredible acting, especially Rhea Seehorn. I look at the Howard storyline as about how are they going to get the Sandpiper settlement money, so it still works for me. The boxing was stupid though.

Next show we are going to try is Bosch Legacy since we enjoyed Bosch.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Just started watching Barry and am already well in to the second season. Episodes are around 30 minutes and border on the hilarious with at times taking a darker turn. Hader and Winkler are great in this series. Don't know why it took me this long to start watching.

Got to get back to Better Call Saul this week. Really enjoyed the first two episodes of this final season.

Bosch is back and seemingly as good as ever. Doesn't seem to have changed a whole lot, but that's a good thing.

Looking forward to the final season of Animal Kingdom coming up in June.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

By the way…The Offer on paramount plus is fantastic. It’s about the filming of The Godfather.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Anyone else watching/watched "Welcome to Wrexham" on FX? What a delightful show!

It's a docuseries about the purchase of Wrexham AFC, a small, lower-level pro soccer team in northeast Wales, by Hollywood actors Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney. Really shows what a football club means to a small UK town and also shows how Reynolds and Mac quickly understand they bought more than just a team, they bought part of a town's fabric and culture.

Really endearing, charming, compelling TV. LOVE IT. Highly recommended.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Really liked it, though surprising they got about 20 episodes out of it.

I don't know if they plan to do a second season. Seems part of the motivation was for Reynolds to tout his liquor and some other things he's endorsing.

That club reportedly draws really well now that the players got some notoriety.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

wco81 wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:45 pm
Really liked it, though surprising they got about 20 episodes out of it.

I don't know if they plan to do a second season. Seems part of the motivation was for Reynolds to tout his liquor and some other things he's endorsing.

That club reportedly draws really well now that the players got some notoriety.
They already announced season 2 is coming. It was a fantastic pseudo documentary.