Top albums of 2007 lists from Metacritic

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Top albums of 2007 lists from Metacritic

Post by pk500 »

Hi all:

Here's a handy compilation of "Best Albums of 2007" lists from Metacritic, with lists being added as they are published on sites:

http://www.metacritic.com/music/bests/2007.shtml

I reckon this is the busiest two weeks of the year for music downloading ... :)

Enjoy,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

Not a real consensus #1 like there usually is in most years. I thought M.I.A. would be it this year, but it's pretty much divided between her, LCD Soundsystem, Radiohead, and Arcade Fire.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

It's that time of year! My fav. I'm sure everyone is dying to see my list...

Anyway, I figured I'd see more Arcade Fire in #1 slot. Also, interesting to see much Battles & so little Hold Steady (not saying I agree or disagree, yet...).
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

greggsand wrote:It's that time of year! My fav. I'm sure everyone is dying to see my list...

Anyway, I figured I'd see more Arcade Fire in #1 slot. Also, interesting to see much Battles & so little Hold Steady (not saying I agree or disagree, yet...).
The Hold Steady didn't release an album this year, unless you mean the "Live at Fingerprints" record, which at five tracks is an EP.

Not that I trust Rolling Stone for sh*t, but I'm pretty surprised that The National's "Boxer" wasn't in its Top 50. And no surprise that Springsteen was No. 2. The Stone almost always bobs on the knob of anything that Springsteen, Dylan or McCartney releases.

"Magic" was a good record. But the second-best record of the year. Uh, nyet.

Take care,
PK
Last edited by pk500 on Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

pk500 wrote:
greggsand wrote:It's that time of year! My fav. I'm sure everyone is dying to see my list...

The Hold Steady didn't release an album this year, unless you mean the "Live at Fingerprints" record, which at five tracks is an EP.
Oh, I saw it on a few British lists - it must have been released in 08 in the UK.

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

pk500 wrote:

Not that I trust Rolling Stone for sh*t, but I'm pretty surprised that The National's "Boxer" wasn't in its Top 50. And no surprise that Springsteen was No. 2. The Stone almost always bobs on the knob of anything that Springsteen, Dylan or McCartney releases.

"Magic" was a good record. But the second-best record of the year. Uh, nyet.

Take care,
PK
I think RS has to throw a few Springsteens, Costellos, Pettys, and Dylans into these lists whenever they can to not completely freak out and alienate the old fogey segment of their readership.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

AJColossal wrote:I think RS has to throw a few Springsteens, Costellos, Pettys, and Dylans into these lists whenever they can to not completely freak out and alienate the old fogey segment of their readership.
LOL! :)

Take care,
PK

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

AJColossal wrote: I think RS has to throw a few Springsteens, Costellos, Pettys, and Dylans into these lists whenever they can to not completely freak out and alienate the old fogey segment of their readership.
There's a non-fogey segment of their readership? 8O

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

EZSnappin wrote:
AJColossal wrote: I think RS has to throw a few Springsteens, Costellos, Pettys, and Dylans into these lists whenever they can to not completely freak out and alienate the old fogey segment of their readership.
There's a non-fogey segment of their readership? 8O
there's still a readership?

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

Very cool list pk, thanks for the link!

Seeing Radioheads lastest coming in at three is pretty cool. I'm still listening to it regularly.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

By Christ, what a soulless exercise.

"Here's the 30 most mediocre pieces of drivel, sort of beloved by the sort of plankton who write for music mags and other so-called 'arbiters of taste'. Listen to these and find out what all of the other drones are wasting their time on."

These meta-things really tee me off. To my mind, getting high marks from so many different sources means that you have either gone Lowest Common Denominator or that these people are all sheep.

The Arcade Fire ? Radiohead ? MIA ? - I'd rather pour kerosene into my ears and light it, thank you very much, although no doubt that loopy eyed goblin Thom Yorke is already working out how to try and record that, given that he's already discovered that people (well, about 40% of them at any rate) will pay for any old shite.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

davet010 wrote:By Christ, what a soulless exercise.

These meta-things really tee me off. To my mind, getting high marks from so many different sources means that you have either gone Lowest Common Denominator or that these people are all sheep.
Dave:

If you scroll down, there are individual top 10 lists from many different music publications and Web sites. You still won't be happy with most of the selections, but there's more there than just the meta list.

Take care,
PK

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

At least the Radiohead album has the critical mass for an aggregated review ranking to be somewhat relevant. It becomes way idiotic for smaller indie bands - as can be seen in the #1 album, which I think most would agree was good, but nothing all that special. Then there's the great indie album that is killed by some obscure site giving a low ranking with the only explanation "i didn't understand it" or something like that (see "Andorra" by Caribou).

Something is horribly wrong when "White Chalk" by PJ Harvey doesn't even crack the top 30. Whatever you think of the album, it's hard to deny it's one of the most innovative and dramatic departures of the year.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

davet010 wrote:By Christ, what a soulless exercise.

"Here's the 30 most mediocre pieces of drivel, sort of beloved by the sort of plankton who write for music mags and other so-called 'arbiters of taste'. Listen to these and find out what all of the other drones are wasting their time on."

The Arcade Fire ? Radiohead ? MIA ? - I'd rather pour kerosene into my ears and light it, thank you very much, although no doubt that loopy eyed goblin Thom Yorke is already working out how to try and record that, given that he's already discovered that people (well, about 40% of them at any rate) will pay for any old shite.
Interesting take, I guess. Most people find these "critics list" as being "too elitist". If Arcade Fire would = Lowest Common Denominator, it would be quite an improvement over the current world of Beyonce and American Idol Winners - but if that's your thing dude, go get jiggy with it (given u didn't actual offer any opinions on who u think IS worth a damn).

Personally, I'd love it if the kids at the mall were rocking Arcade Fire or Radiohead INSTEAD of Chingy or Fergie.... But I'm weird like that.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Gregg, if you imagine music as a rainbow, with classical music at one end and thrash metal at the other and pop in the middle, then the nearer to the middle you get, the unhappier I am.

Personally speaking, the Arcade Fire are about as interesting as watching paint dry. However, since you were kind enough to enquire, I shall favour you with my 5 favourite albums of 2007.

1. iLikeTrains - Elegies to Lessons Learnt.

2. Sigur Ros - Hvarf-Heim

3. Black Francis - Bluefinger

4. The Durutti Column - Idiot Savants

5. Edwyn Collins - Home Again
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

I love the visual of Thrash Metal on a Rainbow (actually, I think my band opened for them once...). Anyhoo, good top5 dave.

Greggggggggg

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

I was suprised by how many bands i like where on there i must be a sheep wasting my time.
The fact the mainstream likes a lot more indie bands is a good thing i thought.

No metal tho but thats ok im past the pot of gold on Daves rainbow when it comes to metal.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

DaveT:

If you haven't already, I recommend that you check out the album "Mirrored" by Battles. It's pretty far out there, a mix of prog, Krautrock and other stuff I can't even describe. Interesting as hell.

I know your tastes based on the mix CD's you've sent me, and something tells me you'll like this, mate.

Take care,
PK