Coach Gundy goes after a sports writer *video*

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Coach Gundy goes after a sports writer *video*

Post by fletcher21 »

LINK

This was a great video. It's nice to see a coach defend his players from ridicule of a sports writer who has her head up her ass!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

That tirade was horsesh*t. First, it was WAY over the top. That coach is an emotional marshmallow.

Second, it's OK for boosters to praise these kids like they're gods. It's OK for them to be treated like royalty by students. It's OK for them to receive endless praise by the sports information department and favorable coverage from the local and national media. It's OK for them to receive free shoes, free clothing and special tutoring while working out in a state-of-the-art weight room and changing in a state-of-the-art locker room.

But it's not OK for a columnist to take a shot at one of these kids? I'm sure this mental midget of a coach addresses his team as "men," but the minute someone takes a shot at his precious QB, that 21-year-old -- who is old enough to drink, vote and fight in the Middle East -- is a "kid?"

Give me a f*cking break. This kind of coddling by authority figures only delays these young adults' arrival in the real world and continues the "candy-assing" of American society.

How is this kid going to develop a thick skin if "Daddy Coach" has to unload on a sports writer who wrote nasty things about him?

I don't know who's the bigger p*ssy, the coach challenging a sports writer or the kid he's trying to protect with ridiculous melodrama.

It's time for that coach and that kid to nut up.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

pk500 wrote:That tirade was horsesh*t. First, it was WAY over the top. That coach is an emotional marshmallow.

Second, it's OK for boosters to praise these kids like they're gods. It's OK for them to be treated like royalty by students. It's OK for them to receive endless praise by the sports information department and favorable coverage from the local and national media. It's OK for them to receive free shoes, free clothing and special tutoring while working out in a state-of-the-art weight room and changing in a state-of-the-art locker room.

But it's not OK for a columnist to take a shot at one of these kids? I'm sure this mental midget of a coach addresses his team as "men," but the minute someone takes a shot at his precious QB, that 21-year-old -- who is old enough to drink, vote and fight in the Middle East -- is a "kid?"

Give me a f*cking break. This kind of coddling by authority figures only delays these young adults' arrival in the real world and continues the "candy-assing" of American society.

How is this kid going to develop a thick skin if "Daddy Coach" has to unload on a sports writer who wrote nasty things about him?

I don't know who's the bigger p*ssy, the coach challenging a sports writer or the kid he's trying to protect with ridiculous melodrama.

It's time for that coach and that kid to nut up.

Take care,
PK
Bingo!
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

Totally agree with you PK.

How I only wish PK was that sports writer. That would have made for one heck of an exchange! :lol:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

grtwhtsk wrote:Totally agree with you PK.

How I only wish PK was that sports writer. That would have made for one heck of an exchange! :lol:
The columnist, Jenni Carlson, handled the tirade perfectly. She sat in silence, knowing the coach was making a jackass of himself by melting down on camera. Carlson also knew she had the power of the pen for a retort, which she did with a follow-up column today standing behind her reporting.

She also asked the coach Monday to state the errors in the column -- remember, he said three-quarters of the column was wrong despite pointing out only two errors -- so they could be corrected. The coach refused, saying he wanted to "let it go."

Very well done, Jenni Carlson. You are a professional; the Okie State coach is an emotional, immature jackass.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

he handled it like an idiot, BUT (I read the article) she is a total hack writer.

I heard all of the 'IF u ever have kids' lines were a thinly veiled ref to her being a lesbian... classy!

WillHunting
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by WillHunting »

greggsand wrote:he handled it like an idiot, BUT (I read the article) she is a total hack writer.

I heard all of the 'IF u ever have kids' lines were a thinly veiled ref to her being a lesbian... classy!
Lame reference, as there are plenty of lesbians have kids. Maybe he is homophobic.
+++++++++++++++
Gamertag: The Praxis
+++++++++++++++

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

greggsand wrote:he handled it like an idiot, BUT (I read the article) she is a total hack writer.
Which is irrelevant if she's not a hack reporter. The accusations by the OSU coach weren't about her writing style; they were about supposed numerous inaccuracies, of which he only named two.

P.S.: I read the column before my post, too.

Take care,
PK

johnvon314
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by johnvon314 »

Who was applauding at the end?

John

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

johnvon314 wrote:Who was applauding at the end?

John
Maybe coach announced it was ice cream night and all the kids on the team were excited.
- Rob
PSN: smearobe

rubba19
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by rubba19 »

One thing Gundy fails to realize is that OU and Okie St. football ARE the "pro" teams in the state. (OU pays better, and the results show. Gundy should really do something about that - maybe call his good friend Hart Lee Dykes for tips.)

HS football and maybe then the Cowboys come before MLB, rest of NFL, and the NBA.

Although Jenni Carlson IS a hack and her paper is not even worthy of fishwrap, I think she is on to something here. Nobody blows up like that unless someone hits a nerve. Or the truth.

My guess is the latter.

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

Airdog wrote:
johnvon314 wrote:Who was applauding at the end?

John
Maybe coach announced it was ice cream night and all the kids on the team were excited.
Mom says no ice cream until she finishes feeding you your chicken

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I will say this, it was over the top and the coach made an ass of himself but there is a very small part of me that loved seeing a reporter get ripped. I agree with PK's points on how college athletes, especially football players, get their asses kissed 24/7 but I have strong feelings on how some sports writers get away with straight up lying in their stories. Maybe its because most of the reporters here in the Philadelphia area have their heads up their asses, write bullshit half the time and are never held accountable for their piss poor stories...but I still enjoyed it. There are so many sports writer shows nowadays where bullwinkle, jackoff "reporters" get to spew their "ideas" and "takes" on issues that I enjoy it when something like this happens. I'll also say that as ridiculous as the rant was that coach wouldn't have gone off like that if there wasn't some truth to what he was saying. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Diablo25 wrote:I will say this, it was over the top and the coach made an ass of himself but there is a very small part of me that loved seeing a reporter get ripped. .
I saw it the same way...Ya he went over the top but....

Reporters are never held accountable for the garbage they write and the way I understand it she ripping on the kid personally and that some of it was fabricated...

I kinda like a coach who sticks up for his kids...

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

XXXIV wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:I will say this, it was over the top and the coach made an ass of himself but there is a very small part of me that loved seeing a reporter get ripped. .

Reporters are never held accountable for the garbage they write and the way I understand it she ripping on the kid personally and that some of it was fabricated...

So, is Coach going to stick up for this "kid" the first time his boss tells him that he's doing a lousy job once he enters the "real world" after OSU?

That's my point: This is not a 17-year-old high school kid. This is an ADULT who has been pampered as a star athlete for four years at OSU. And he needs a 40-year-old man to fight his battles for him?

Lame.

Where's the safety net going to be in two years, when this 21-year-old "kid" suddenly is thrust into the world of a 23-year-old "man?"

We have 18-year-old men dying in Iraq and Afghanistan, yet this 21-year-old "kid" football player needs protection from the big, bad wolf of the local sports media? Pathetic.

Take care,
PK

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

pk500 wrote:
XXXIV wrote:

So, is Coach going to stick up for this "kid" the first time his boss tells him that he's doing a lousy job once he enters the "real world" after OSU?

That's my point: This is not a 17-year-old high school kid. This is an ADULT who has been pampered as a star athlete for four years at OSU. And he needs a 40-year-old man to fight his battles for him?

Lame.

Where's the safety net going to be in two years, when this 21-year-old "kid" suddenly is thrust into the world of a 23-year-old "man?"

We have 18-year-old men dying in Iraq and Afghanistan, yet this 21-year-old "kid" football player needs protection from the big, bad wolf of the local sports media? Pathetic.

Take care,
PK
I understand all that...I am just not willing to give ever hack reporter a free pass. Sorry.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

How do you know she's a hack? How do you know that the inferences she made were false?

As some have said, there must have been some truth to the column, as it definitely hit a nerve. That usually only happens when you're afraid of admitting the truth.

Classic defense mechanism.

Take care,
PK

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

pk500 wrote:How do you know she's a hack? How do you know that the inferences she made were false?

As some have said, there must have been some truth to the column, as it definitely hit a nerve. That usually only happens when you're afraid of admitting the truth.

Classic defense mechanism.

Take care,
PK
How do you know its true?...and why the hell is the b*tch attacking the kid personallY?...is that how you are supposed to report?...classic yellow journalism.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

XXXIV wrote:How do you know its true?...and why the hell is the b*tch attacking the kid personallY?...is that how you are supposed to report?...classic yellow journalism.
First of all, it was an opinion column, not a news story. There is a difference.

Second, did you read the column? I didn't consider it that outrageous of an attack. It basically said the kid had a bit of an attitude problem and that his toughness was in question.

She never said he sucked or that he was useless. From what I recall, she said he was the most talented QB on the team but inferred that he wasn't making the most of his talent. She also established that this kid is a bit of a head case through anecdotes -- his mother feeding him chicken; good Lord, this is a 21-year-old man -- and through the QB's own admission that he gets way too nervous and worries about things he can't control. She also used the anecdote of the kid laughing with the coaches toward the end of a blowout loss. Again, not exactly a real leader, this kid.

And again, it was an opinion column. She's entitled to her opinion, as it was clearly labeled commentary.

Here's Carlson's side of the story, which I found illuminating:

http://www.newsok.com/video/brightcove/ ... 1112157274

Also, Carlson wrote a column on this kid's attitude and toughness problems earlier this season. So I don't think this column is something she just pulled out of the ether last week:

http://newsok.com/article/3121564

Take care,
PK
Last edited by pk500 on Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I saw it and its not labeled opinion as far as I see...

STILLWATER — Bobby Reid stood near the team charters last Friday night, using his cell phone, eating his boxed meal.

It would've been normal post-game activity but for one thing.

His mother was feeding him chicken.

...what the f*** does his mother giving him chicken have to do with football?

I find nothing she says illuminating...and she has obviously had an axe to grind for a while now.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

XXXIV wrote:I saw it and its not labeled opinion as far as I see...

STILLWATER — Bobby Reid stood near the team charters last Friday night, using his cell phone, eating his boxed meal.

It would've been normal post-game activity but for one thing.

His mother was feeding him chicken.

...what the f*** does his mother giving him chickedn have to do with football?

I find nothing she says illuminating...
Carlson is the paper's columnist. That is plain as day. Columnists don't write news stories unless it's breaking news where an army of reporters are required.

Second, the chicken story does have meaning. It shows that this kid might be a real baby if Momma is still hand-feeding him chicken at 21 years of age.

I sure as sh*t wouldn't have been caught dead at 21 having my Mom spoon-feed me my dinner.

I love the "axe to grind" comment, too. Why the f*ck should Jenni Carlson care how Reid performs? Is she losing money on the games he loses for the team. Sure, there may be some history between them, a locker room incident, etc., etc.

But otherwise, why the hell should Carlson care how OSU or the QB performs? She's a reporter/columnist, not a stringer for the OSU sports information department.

Take care,
PK
Last edited by pk500 on Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

The column is just bad. Just like her, I have an opinion...poor journalism. Too many reporters, not enough stories...so lets generate crap like this. Whatever.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

pk500 wrote:[

I sure as sh*t wouldn't have been caught dead at 21 having my Mom spoon-feed me my dinner.

Take care,
PK
So if your mom walked up to with chicken and started giving it to you...you would have done what?....The dude cant help if his mother is how she is...its garbage to print that trash!!...totally pathetic.

It has nothing to do with football...and the more I read this b*tch the happier I am the dude went off on her.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Diablo25 wrote:The column is just bad. Just like her, I have an opinion...poor journalism. Too many reporters, not enough stories...so lets generate crap like this. Whatever.
100% correct.

It really is sickening that these parasites feed this way.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Diablo25 wrote:The column is just bad. Just like her, I have an opinion...poor journalism. Too many reporters, not enough stories...so lets generate crap like this. Whatever.
Explain to me why it's crap. The kid is benched. The coach gives no reason, stonewalling the media, which reports to the fans who buy the tickets and pay the taxes that pay the salaries of that coach.

So the columnist does some background reporting and writes a column about it.

Why is that poor journalism? She asked the coach when the kid was benched for a reason. He refused. She went to the coach after the column appeared and asked him to correct all of the inaccuracies in the column. He refused.

So why is this poor journalism? She reported, went to the team for comment as she is supposed to and was stonewalled. So then she did what any reporter should do and went to sources.

And not enough stories? Good Lord, as Rubba said, there's an insatiable appetite for OU and OSU coverage by fans, viewers and readers in Oklahoma.

If anything, there's not enough media for the available stories that readers really want. That's why the sports blogosphere has exploded the last few years. If people didn't want more coverage and there weren't enough stories, then why do Web-only sports sites and sports blogs thrive?

Take care,
PK