Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Post by GB_Simo »

Yup. It's worth 5 notes for the sense of speed alone. Get it bought if you haven't already.

I had a little look at the demo of RiMS Racing last week. A brief tutorial and a quick race at Zolder later, I came away reasonably impressed with the general feel. You'll recall that I know nothing of what it's like to ride any kind of bike, so the best I can offer from a handling perspective is that it seems believable and intuitive, not dissimilar to a Moto GP game but tighter in feel, with none of the sudden, gigantic rear wheel slides you get in MotoGP 20. Graphically it's fine - not absolutely staggering but smooth and with no obvious issues, save for a little glitch where the rear tyre of the bike ahead of you turns bright yellow sometimes.

Penalties are assessed quickly and seem fair to generous, with even the biggest, most blatant piece of chicane straight-lining only yielding a 0.75 second penalty. There was no penalty for straight-lining the same chicane on my face, which was nice. Less nice in this build are the AI, who seem generally aware of your presence but otherwise as dumb as a box of rocks, taking all kinds of ridiculous lines.

The big feature of this game is said to be the level of customisation. There are only 8 bikes available but there are hundreds of official parts and upgrades to apply to them, wear and tear that carries over between races and so on. None of that was available in the demo so I've no idea how it works.

I tried a couple of rallying games too. Super Woden GP's viewpoint and style remind me a bit of the old Gaelco coin-op World Rally, while its handling reminds me of a fully-laden brewer's dray. I want to like it but didn't feel especially compelled to return to it. I did very much like WRC 10, though I could have done without the occasional stutters and micro-freezes that hampered an otherwise enjoyable experience. These appear to be reasonably widespread and might just reflect that the demo build needs some optimisation work doing, so if you usually play this series on PC, don't be too alarmed just yet.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

GB_Simo wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:30 pm
I've started to see a few comments suggesting that recent updates have made now a very good time to be jumping into AMS2. The content appeals just as much as it did first time around, some of the newer additions to the car and track lists are right up my street, yet I'm still a bit concerned that my enjoyment of titles using the Madness engine seems to be inversely proportional to the price I pay. Next Steam sale, I think I might be in.
The Steam summer sale has just ticked that particular box, with AMS2 at 50% off. There are big discounts too on ACC, KartKraft again, Art of Rally...it'd genuinely be quicker to list the racers that aren't on sale instead of the ones that are, so if you've been waiting for any sim in particular to drop in price, have a look between now and July 8th.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Me again.

If, despite my earlier urgings, you've accidentally waited until July 9th to log into Steam and go all in on ACC, fret not. There's a publisher sale on at Humble in which all things ACC are the same price they were on Steam, at least in my neck of the woods. If you fancy it or you're seeking a cheap copy of the original AC, this link will take you there and earn Tim Wheatley a few pennies into the bargain:

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/prom ... artner=rsc

If you'd sooner not earn Legend a few pennies - perhaps you're engaged in a fiercely-contested boundary dispute with him over some recently-planted conifers, for example - then you may prefer the non-affiliate link:

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/prom ... isher-sale

Edited to add: the deluxe edition of Overpass is on sale this week on the XBox Store. Reviews seem to suggest a reasonably engaging physics model wrapped up in a series of mildly infuriating design and progression decisions, but the Trials HD-ish nature of it appeals to me. Have any of you fine folk played it and if so, would you recommend spending £14.24 of my hard-earned on it?

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Hot diggity damn - https://www.racedepartment.com/news/mot ... rship.103/

Motorsport Games have announced a partnership with INDYCAR and are aiming to release a new title based on the race series in 2023.

If this uses the Rf2 engine and has the full season of tracks it could be something special. Been ages since a good Indycar game.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

F308GTB wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:15 pm

Motorsport Games have announced a partnership with INDYCAR and are aiming to release a new title based on the race series in 2023.

If this uses the Rf2 engine and has the full season of tracks it could be something special. Been ages since a good Indycar game.
Already have my dibs in as a play tester. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

pk500 wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:46 pm
F308GTB wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:15 pm

Already have my dibs in as a play tester. :)
Lucky you Paul. Guess it pays to be on the inside

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Sebastien Loeb Evo is on sale at the XBOX Store for $2.99, not a bad deal. It's not the perfect Rally game but it's worth a look at $3.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Seven Codemasters racing games added to Xbox Game Pass/EA Play today: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/08/10/ ... -ultimate/

Most already were in there at one point or now, but still ... If you own an Xbox and don't subscribe to GamePass, drug testing is mandatory.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

I believe "Art of Rally" is dropping tomorrow.

My boys and I have been in the mood for the "minimalist" racing experiences. We have put in a ton of time with Lonely Mountains Downhill lately. I am confident we will like Art of Rally as well.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

This sounds encouraging regarding Nascar 21 and several others sims discussed by Motorsport Games.

https://www.polygon.com/22620589/nascar ... port-games

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

pigpen81 wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:47 am
I believe "Art of Rally" is dropping tomorrow.

My boys and I have been in the mood for the "minimalist" racing experiences. We have put in a ton of time with Lonely Mountains Downhill lately. I am confident we will like Art of Rally as well.
Based on a quick play this afternoon, Art of Rally on XB1 is technically a bit less accomplished than on PC (I don't remember the draw-in of trees in the middle distance being quite so pronounced on PC, and the same goes for some of the shading and shadowing effects) but no less atmospheric for that. It's also exactly as joyous to control as it always was. I think you'll have a blast with it, Piggy.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Thanks. We are really enjoying it so far. We are now to 1972 and have opened up the next class.

My youngest son and I have been taking turns each stage.

The graphics and atmosphere is sublime. Perfect game pass game.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Nascar 21 is sounding more and more encouraging, the Devs are shooting for realism. The cars will have different aero packages where the cars will feel different on certain tracks. The cars will also behave differently running up front or when you are going three wide.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Assetto Corsa Competizione is one of the free Games with Gold this weekend.

Can't recommend this game any more highly to console sim racing fans. It has the best driving and racing model of any console sim I've played in any generation.

It's that good. Enjoy.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

BEWARE - WRC 10 Issues with Thrustmaster Peripherals
Issues with Thrustmaster Peripherals
Dear all,

Our team is committed to make WRC 10 a realistic rally experience. Since this morning we’ve received reports of some of you having issues with Thrustmaster Steering Wheels, The KT Racing team is currently working on a patch to resolve that problem. Until that time we strongly recommend that you update both the drivers and firmwares of your Thrustmaster peripherals.

https://support.thrustmaster.com/

We will let you know once this update is available. Until then we are sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you for your understanding
Because I am stupid and a glutton for punishment and just can't stop myself from checking out a rally sim even if I have been burned 9 times before, I picked up WRC 10 for PC last night. Granted WRC 9 was the best of all the versions to date, but I have never been able to get as good a feel in control and force feedback with the WRC series compared to Dirt Rally, RBR, etc. I just can't seem to avoid it every year since it has the official WRC license. However, this is just absolutely ridiculous. This is the 10th version of the game for Pete's sake. It had an early release to reviewers/testers back a few months ago. How in the hell does the production release just flat out not work with Thrustmaster wheels? I mean, they have to be the largest overall user base for wheels. By the way, the issue is that it does not recognize the wheel, at all. Nothing. Updating drivers does nothing. I can use the keyboard. It recognizes the wheel is there. In fact, when I do the vibration test, the wheel vibrates, but that is the extent of the wheel working. This wheel currently works with iRacing, Assetto Corsa, Assetto Corsa Competizione, Automobilista 2, Dirt Rally, Dirt Rally 2, F1 2021, RaceRoom Racing Experience, Project Cars 2, KartKraft, Forza Horizon 4, and Forza Motorsport 7 with minimal tweaking needed. How this gets by all these positive reviews on Youtube is a complete mystery to me. I had such high hopes for this version of the game, especially with the new historic mode. Hopefully they fix this soon, but wanted to give you all the heads up in case you are also Thrustmaster wheel owners.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

They released a patch this morning for the PC version of WRC 10 and I was able to get my wheel working and so far the game is great. I still need to dial in some better FFB settings, but honestly this feels like the best WRC to date physics wise. Have had so much fun today with the PC version that I went ahead and purchased the XBox Deluxe that will allow me to get the X|S version when I am finally able to get a next gen console. There is a Club Setting that looks similar to a League type setup so maybe we can get some regular DSP Rallies going. What was it like 20 years ago that we had the SportsReviewers Colin McRae 2.0 rally league on the original Playstation?

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

I take it that it’s only been released on PC so far. I tried to launch the game on my series X and says 9/7. Looking forward to playing it, was a big fan of WRC 9.

I have been enjoying Art of Rally while I wait. Fun, relaxed take on the genre.

I’d like to see Sega do another Sega Rally for the next gen systems.
GT = Wilk5280

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Wilk5280 wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:06 pm
I take it that it’s only been released on PC so far. I tried to launch the game on my series X and says 9/7. Looking forward to playing it, was a big fan of WRC 9.

I have been enjoying Art of Rally while I wait. Fun, relaxed take on the genre.

I’d like to see Sega do another Sega Rally for the next gen systems.
I thought the Xbox version wasn't out till 9/20 or something. I ended up buying the PC version. So far so good. Seems like the graphics, especially the rain effects, took a significant step back. That said, the feel of the cars seems to be slightly improved. Not sure it's worth full price, but we'll see as the days/weeks go on.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Well, just tried launching it again and it’s been unlocked. Guess I’m know what I’m doing tonight now. 😎
GT = Wilk5280

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

pigpen81 wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:13 pm
Thanks. We are really enjoying it so far. We are now to 1972 and have opened up the next class.

My youngest son and I have been taking turns each stage.

The graphics and atmosphere is sublime. Perfect game pass game.
I have really enjoyed Art of Rally...more relaxing game and don't feel as stressed out over a screwup like in Dirt rally games or WRC
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I tried WRC 10 and I found the cars to be too floaty. It's almost like they are gliding. I wish Sony would do a proper Rally a game because their Rally cars in Gran Turismo always feel just right. They have the right amount of grip on all surfaces and you can whip the rear end on sharp corners.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:19 am
I tried WRC 10 and I found the cars to be too floaty. It's almost like they are gliding. I wish Sony would do a proper Rally a game because their Rally cars in Gran Turismo always feel just right. They have the right amount of grip on all surfaces and you can whip the rear end on sharp corners.
Thanks for feedback, Rod. I haven't tried WRC 10, but my experience with WRC 7, 8 and 9 mirrors yours. The cars float too much. There's not enough of a sensation of friction and grip.

I know WRC cars aren't glued to the surface like an F1 car. But their aerodynamics, transmission differentials, dampers and tires create a tremendous amount of grip, and Kylotonn never has gotten that right on gravel, mud or snow with the WRC series. Codemasters is closer on those surfaces with the DIRT Rally series, especially DIRT Rally 2.

But Codemasters' grip model for asphalt is lousy in the DIRT Rally series, ironic considering the Codies have created so many asphalt circuit racing sims. Kylotonn's asphalt grip model always has been better.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

I would completely agree with the floaty characterization of the previous WRC incarnations. In fact, I think I have previously described them as the feeling of driving a boat. I don't know if it's being away from Dirt 1/2 for awhile, old age, or WRC 10 in fact being an improvement physics wise, but this is the first time I have felt like it is on par, or maybe even a little better than the feel I have in Dirt Rally 1/2. I am playing with a Thrustmaster wheel and not a controller, so I guess that could factor into it. I also have all assists off. So far both the Xbox and PC versions seem much improved from that floaty aspect. I am still dialing in the FFB settings, and I have not yet gone and done some back to back comparisons to Dirt Rally 2 and/or WRC 8/9, but I am definitely enjoying it so far. I will say I am noticing the differences in surfaces, hard gravel to soft gravel to asphalt and it is really nice. Likewise, the asphalt feeling is much better than Dirt 1/2. Could be that I just really needed a new rally game, but this is the first time where I have wanted to go back and play WRC 10 vs thinking why would I play this when I could be playing DiRT Rally 2?

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

I’m probably not the best person to take advice from or listen to when it comes to the WRC series because I’ve been a vocal advocate of what they’ve been doing going back to WRC 7.

Each game has been an evolution of the previous and 10
Is no different. If you’re not a big fan of the series, this latest release probably won’t make you one. It’s more of the same, albeit a little refined.

I’m enjoying the new locations, especially the Estonia 🇪🇪 Rally. It’s an “on the edge of your seat, balls to the wall, adrenaline rush of a location.

The game plays incredibly smooth on the 120hz setting, but like in all of the previous iterations, draw distance and pop-ins are less than ideal. The rain effects and shimmering of the wet surfaces are a bit distracting, too.

All in all it’s a solid rally experience, IMO, and a lot of fun to play.
GT = Wilk5280

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

DChaps wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:50 pm
I would completely agree with the floaty characterization of the previous WRC incarnations. In fact, I think I have previously described them as the feeling of driving a boat.
Yes that was the feeling I got with WRC10 for the PC. Good analogy !

And I am using an XONE controller so that maybe part of the problem but it shouldn't be if they properly incorporate console controllers. Codemasters is pretty good at that. Like I mentioned before the benchmark for precise Rally car handling IMO is in the Gran Turismo games. Their Rally cars have a nice bite to different surfaces but you can make them slide if you want.