Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Post by fletcher21 »

Good deal man! I think I’ll have to go next year. The track near me is .04 miles, so it seems like it’s a bit longer than some of the others.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I could hear the Outlaws in my back yard when they ran at Rolling Wheels Raceway, which is less than 10 miles from my house. But I never went because they always ran the Tuesday or Wednesday after Memorial Day, right after I had just spent three straight weeks of consecutive 12- to 15-hour days working the Indy 500 at IMS.

A racetrack was the LAST place I wanted to be after spending three weeks away from my family and friends. I LOVE racing and have really enjoyed working in it for the last 30+ years, but it's not my life. Far from it ...
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

I just hit season 3. This is after starting over after 2 seasons, so I can totally max out the 305 first. This is absolutely a top 10 racing console game ever! ACC is a better sim, but WoO is probably more FUN. I played for 5 hours yesterday. Can't remember the last time I did that. My gaming time is limited during the week, but I haven't wanted to play anything but WoO lately.

The AI seems very solid. I don't see rubberband ai, but it seems like your "rival" can catch up at a pretty crazy pace at times. It could be due to their car having better stats. As it is, the racing is fun and fair. When you win, you feel like you deserve it.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

fletcher21 wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:27 am
The AI seems very solid. I don't see rubberband ai, but it seems like your "rival" can catch up at a pretty crazy pace at times. It could be due to their car having better stats. As it is, the racing is fun and fair. When you win, you feel like you deserve it.
Exactly. I think I'm about 9 seasons in now (!!!!), almost maxed out the 360. The difficulty jumped pretty hard as the 360 was so much faster, I found it just slipping through corner entry, where the 305 would "bite". I started experimenting more with varying lines...some tracks I'm better sticking low in 1 and 2 and high in 3 and 4 or vice-versa.

What's amazing is I can trust the AI. I will run a high line and stick it, and though they'll beat me into the corner, on track out they'll almost ALWAYS leave room. It might be a foot or less, but I'll have a lane there. The only time they don't is when they successfully complete the slide job and I have no option but to lift (or, to see it coming, lift a bit earlier and go for the cross over on exit).

On the flip side, I've seen guys running high lap after lap, then suddenly changing to the low line when I'm catching them (usually right as I'm about to go for a send! The timing is incredible). Other times I'll study the AI for a few laps and then go for a full-send-slide-job, and as long as I get it done, they don't run into the back of me, either. It's a lot of give-and-take out there with fake drivers, which is pretty crazy to see.

I've had amazing, amazing races event after event with this one, and I don't see it stopping anytime soon.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

I really only have 2 minor complaints about WoO.

1. The no tear off strip thing is kind of unfortunate, seeing as a game 20 years ago had this feature. These cars kick up insane amounts of mud and dirt, but it's not really shown here. Even after a race, the cars are far cleaner than any real sprint car is.

2. The track doesn't change in real time. I could have sworn this was also in WoO 2002. It does seem to change between heats, but I don't see any changes during the race itself. If you can run the bottom on lap 1, you can run it all race long.

Minor complaints, of course. This game is phenomenal! I'm so amped up that I am going to drop $300 for a year subscription to Dirtvision to watch real WoO

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

For anyone playing this game, Terry's advice about flicking the car into the corner and then modulating the throttle -- not vice-versa -- is MONEY. Yeah, I stumbled upon the same discovery racing with Teal about a week ago, but the same technique is slicing my lap times now at every track.

It really is faster to blip the throttle after corner entry to get a good "set" for corner exit than go flat all the way around and suffer speed loss due to excessive friction, at least with the 305s.

What a game.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Paul, so do you mean when you come into the corner you

1. Let off the gas
2. Turn right
3.Turn left
4. Floor it

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

fletcher21 wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:21 pm
Paul, so do you mean when you come into the corner you

1. Let off the gas
2. Turn right
3.Turn left
4. Floor it
No, not at all. That's what makes the order so important.

A few examples here, and it might get into the weeds on race car behavior/weight balance, but:

1. Turn Left.
2. Let out of the gas (sometimes not all the way)
3. Get back into the throttle, but not just full-throttle.
4. Modulate the throttle and counter steer it to the right.
5. As you exit the corner, back to full throttle.

Your aim is to NOT be sliding everywhere! Just snap the car left, lift the throttle to allow the fronts to dig into the surface, then you use enough throttle to get forward bite, but NOT break the rears loose and cost yourself a bunch of time.

Think about what you're doing with the weight balance:

1. You turn the car in, and the wind hits that big wing and squats the left rear into the track.
2. When you lift, you transfer a little of that weight to the right front tire, allowing it to grab hold and rotate the car a bit.
3. When you get back on the throttle A LITTLE, now you have some weight shifted to the right rear, so you're sort of splitting the available traction between Right Front (turning) and Right Rear (accelerating).

When you lift FIRST, then turn in (NOT what you want)...

1. Weight gets thrown forward, to both left and right fronts. Now you've got excess grip on the left front, but not as much on the right front. And almost none to the rears (no grip for the Right Rear to "drive off" or through the corner.
2. You turn in. Now, you have less grip on the right front, so the car won't turn as quickly as it does when you keep the speed up, and let that top wing snap the car left FOR you.

The car turns in slower, you have to wait longer to get back to the throttle, and the rears have less grip (which means you'll spin up the rears easier/lose time with even less throttle than you do the other way).

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Good stuff Paul/Terry thanks! Hard to comprehend that on a controller is all. Nice find!

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

WRC Generations | Early Access Issues On Xbox:

Anyone else purchase WRC Generations Fully Loaded Edition Pre Order and unable to play the game on Xbox? The pre-order was supposed to allow early access to the game starting Nov 1. Apparently PS5 users have been able to access the game the last 24 hours, but XBox users (like me) are receiving the message "You are too early..." when trying to access. Seems to be no official word from Kylotonn as to what is going on. When will I learn to not pay for early access to games considering half the time I end up not being able to play until days after the official release. Oh well! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi3PQx39850

https://www.wrcthegame.com/

https://store-images.s-microsoft.com/im ... 037ddeb49f

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

I have it on PS5 and have dabbled a little bit. Early impressions are quite favorable, minus the omission of 120hz mode for some reason.

Once you finally get to boot it up, if when you change the setting to 2K60FPS the game still runs like crap, close it out and restart. It took me awhile to figure that out, but once I did there was a vast improvement.
GT = Wilk5280

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

To me, Kylotonn for WRC games is a lot like Milestone for MotoGP games -- no matter how hard they try to improve the physics and how many "features" they add to the game, it just doesn't stack up to prior developers' work.

In rally gaming, Codemasters still is king. In MotoGP games, Climax created two games in MotoGP and MotoGP 2 for the Xbox that STILL haven't been surpassed by anything Namco or Milestone created, nearly 20 years later.

Hope you cats enjoy WRC 10 Generations or whatever the f*ck it's called.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Yeah, Dirt Rally 2.0 is still more than enough for me.

I gotta tell you, the first time I tried it in my motion rig with it set up using the same profile as GT3 cars in iRacing...it wasn't pretty.

I hit a tree and it literally knocked the f'n wind out of me :lol:

It also was the only game that had a problem with the rig, as it was jumping around so hard that it glitched and stuck in one position. Had to tune it WAY back for it to work.

For whatever reason, I've never gotten into the WRC games. Just feels...meh...to me compared to DR2.0.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Finally figured out how to get a street stock around Kokomo reasonably quickly. Run the top, then run the top some more, then stay there until the next lap starts and repeat. Cracking this code on what was my 3rd visit to the place in Career made me far, far too happy. The speed with which I got my head around it probably explains why I'm still in Locals.

On what was a great day for tiny racing achievements, I also finally got round the Mountain Course on Isle of Man TT 2 without falling off the bike. I was quite pleased with myself until I checked the Supersport leaderboard and found that the top dog could have finished his lap, quit the game, Quick Resumed a time trial on F1 22 and ran 2 laps at Silverstone while he was waiting for me.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

GB_Simo wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:51 pm
On what was a great day for tiny racing achievements, I also finally got round the Mountain Course on Isle of Man TT 2 without falling off the bike. I was quite pleased with myself until I checked the Supersport leaderboard and found that the top dog could have finished his lap, quit the game, Quick Resumed a time trial on F1 22 and ran 2 laps at Silverstone while he was waiting for me.
Forget your time: Finishing a lap around that 37.7-mile circuit, with hundreds of corners, without a crash is an impressive accomplishment, especially considering this is one of the trickiest physics models in console racing. I've only completed a clean lap two or three times, and I still play this GREAT game often.

Congrats!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

TT Isle of Man Ride on the Edge 2 is on sale for $12.

Tackling the 37.7-mile Mountain Course around the Isle of Man is perhaps the toughest -- yet most enjoyable and rewarding -- racing experience I've had on a console.

This game is TOUGH. But man, it's fun. The sense of speed is just insane for a simcade racer, and you really appreciate just how brave and batsh*t crazy IOM TT riders are after playing this game.

WPatrick
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by WPatrick »

pk500 wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:18 pm
GB_Simo wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:51 pm
Forget your time: Finishing a lap around that 37.7-mile circuit, with hundreds of corners, without a crash is an impressive accomplishment, especially considering this is one of the trickiest physics models in console racing. I've only completed a clean lap two or three times, and I still play this GREAT game often.

Congrats!
Pick this up on sale for PS5 & I’m having a blast playing the career mode.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Speaking of that.....
TT Isle of Man – Ride on the Edge 3 Announced: May, 2023 Release

https://racesimcentral.net/tt-isle-of-m ... 3-release/

Yesterday during Milan Games Week, RaceWard Studio (who I thought had fully re-branded to Nacon Milan – because that’s what they said) announced the third title in the TT Isle of Man – Ride on the Edge franchise. Using the Kylotonn engine once again, the product is scheduled for release next May (2023).

Apart from the TT course (click here to view my hotlap in the first title) I am very curious what the other 31 promised tracks might be, whether they have fully embraced Irish road racing, or whether they’ll be generic fictional tracks as-seen in the previous two titles. Also curious what will be free or paid DLC as the Formula 2 Sidecars were paid DLC in the past.

Lastly, I’m hoping they improved the physics… I actually felt it went backwards between the first and second title.
TT Isle of Man - Ride on the Edge 3 | Teaser Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJF-xEtHpqU&t=6s

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

DChaps wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:08 am
Speaking of that.....
TT Isle of Man – Ride on the Edge 3 Announced: May, 2023 Release

https://racesimcentral.net/tt-isle-of-m ... 3-release/

Yesterday during Milan Games Week, RaceWard Studio (who I thought had fully re-branded to Nacon Milan – because that’s what they said) announced the third title in the TT Isle of Man – Ride on the Edge franchise. Using the Kylotonn engine once again, the product is scheduled for release next May (2023).

Apart from the TT course (click here to view my hotlap in the first title) I am very curious what the other 31 promised tracks might be, whether they have fully embraced Irish road racing, or whether they’ll be generic fictional tracks as-seen in the previous two titles. Also curious what will be free or paid DLC as the Formula 2 Sidecars were paid DLC in the past.

Lastly, I’m hoping they improved the physics… I actually felt it went backwards between the first and second title.
TT Isle of Man - Ride on the Edge 3 | Teaser Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJF-xEtHpqU&t=6s
YES! YES! YES!

Thanks for the link, The Donald. I'm not sure how much the physics progressed in the second game -- I'm not a motorcycle racer. But the physics model is more predictable, which is a BIG plus when you're trying to remember the hundreds of corners on a 37.7-mile lap.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

To the one person reading this thread who does not already own AMS, AMS 2, Assetto Corsa and Assetto Corsa Competizione, go and buy them now. Christ, I'll buy them for you at this price:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/ulti ... artner=rsc
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

GB_Simo wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:56 pm
To the one person reading this thread who does not already own AMS, AMS 2, Assetto Corsa and Assetto Corsa Competizione, go and buy them now. Christ, I'll buy them for you at this price:

Was going to post the same thing. Great deal on a fantastic lineup of games. It also includes rFactor2 as well as a couple of blah titles (NASCAR Heat 5, Drift 21).

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

GB_Simo wrote:

Wait....there are other games other than iRacing? :lol:

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

TCrouch wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:23 am
GB_Simo wrote:

Wait....there are other games other than iRacing? :lol:
Not only that, there are better games than iRacing :D

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Man, I was going to post about how much I am loving the new AI updates to iRacing with the most recent 2023 Season 1 release, and how I have been recreating the 2022 IndyCar season race by race outside of a few tracks (St Pete, Toronto, Nashville, Portland) and was saddened but not surprised to see the following post from Tim Wheatley at Race Sim Central:

https://racesimcentral.net/iracing-anno ... trictions/
iRacing Announce IndyCar Licensing Restrictions

iRacing have today announced within their forum some details on the restrictions from the exclusive license Motorsport Games acquired two years ago that goes into effect for the release of IndyCar 23 next year.

Our current license agreement with Indycar is set to expire on December 31, 2022. Indycar has signed an exclusive license with another developer that goes into effect on January 1, 2023. While we are still working on finalizing a new license with Indycar, it is clear there will be some notable changes to the way we are able to present Indycar racing on iRacing. Most significantly, we will no longer be able to run an official Indycar branded series and there will not be an iRacing Indy 500. You will also see the removal of the Indycar Series logo from our sites.

We plan to continue to support the Dallara race cars (IR18, DW12 & Dallara IR -05). There will be no changes (unlimited use and racing) in regard to the non-Indycar series at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for other series – NASCAR, IMSA, etc. Until the new license agreement is finalized, we won’t know all of the details so there may be further changes.

If you’ve read my posts featuring the occasional rant about Sony holding the Pikes Peak Hillclimb license and then doing nothing with it, or were around on RSC when EA and Sony traded exclusivity on F1, NASCAR, Porsche and many other content items and brands, you’ll be well aware that I’m no fan of exclusivity and although I understand it from a business perspective, don’t think it’s in the general interest of pushing the genre forwards – which is the thing I’d always prefer to see.

However, the response today has been interesting. It seems that very many people had no idea what exclusivity would mean, despite the effects already seen on the Le Mans 24 Hour races within the iRacing service, when they were happy to see an official IndyCar title announced back in July, 2021. Not only that, but Penske and Indianapolis Motor Speedway are taking flak today for something that happened a couple of years ago when things probably looked quite different. At that time, IndyCar fans – me included – were just incredibly happy that we’d hopefully be able to buy any title with “IndyCar” on the cover.

Things will turn out however they’re meant to and we as a community just have to ride it out and see. I’m not sure it’s worth the stress I see being poured into it right now on social media which will, of course, make no difference.
Tim has a reasonable take on this as he usually does given how long he has been around the sim racing community both as a hobbyist and professional (I believe he has worked both for iRacing and ISI who produced the rFactor series). I hate this for iRacing and the great IndyCar community within it, especially since iRacing and PC Sim Racing in general got their start together back in the 90s with Indianapolis 500:The Simulation, IndyCar Racing and IndyCar Racing II. There is nothing I want more than a fully licensed IndyCar game again since it has been so long (2005?). I am just not convinced that Motorsport Games is going to be able to pull it off given their current track record and financial issues. Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised.

Even Dale Jr. is commenting on this news:

https://twitter.com/DaleJr
"I don’t understand this decision by @IndyCar to not continue a decade long partnership with @iRacing. This is such a gut punch for that community. After all both brands accomplished together, including during the past few challenging years…"
From Racer Magazine:

https://racer.com/2022/12/21/changes-ah ... n-iracing/
In addition, a memo authored by iRacing staff and confirmed by RACER was sent to prominent broadcasters of iRacing events informing them that they are no longer permitted to broadcast races featuring the Dallara IR18, Dallara DW12, and the Dallara IR-05.
Conor Daly:

https://twitter.com/ConorDaly22/status/ ... 2083056648
"Lots of discussion this week on @SpeedStreetPod about the gaming situation. I’ve seen A TON of chatter about that today. Our episode launches tomorrow night so feel free to let us know your thoughts on what @JoeyMulinaro and I have to say about it."