Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Post by Dave »

And even if Motorsport Games releases their IndyCar game, what are the odds that it'll be any good?

Really disappointing news, especially with how much it seems iRacing has to lock down--they changed the season schedule to remove any track currently on the calendar and announced that races being broadcast (I assume with announcers and not just an individual streaming, but not sure) cannot include current or former IndyCars.

The Motorsport deal probably doesn't happen without the level of exclusivity they got, but it is just a real bummer, like too much of the IndyCar offseason.

Would not be surprised if eventually we get an IndyCar game made by Monster/iRacing like WoO. But Motorsport will need to collapse before that can happen.

I will add that I also really enjoy racing IndyCar against the AI, there are quite a few good collections/carsets to give you a realistic experience.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Indycar has posted an official response to the backlash caused by yesterday's announcements. Seems strange to me that this is happening since iRacing still has all the official cars, tracks and branding for NASCAR CUP, Xfinity, Truck series even though Motorsport Games also has the lackluster NASCAR Heat/NASCAR Ignition 21 series. Obviously every contract/series is different. Sucks that Motorsport Games has licensing for NASCAR, IndyCar, LeMans, BTCC, and WEC and have yet to produce a decent actual sim off any of this outside of adding content to rFactor 2.

https://racer.com/2022/12/21/indycar-re ... t-changes/
IndyCar responds to iRacing licensing agreement changes

IndyCar has responded to the confirmation that its current licensing agreement with iRacing will end at the close of 2022. IndyCar signed a new exclusivity agreement with Motorsport Games in the summer of last year.

“iRacing will continue to provide a valuable platform for the gaming community to experience IndyCar. While there will be changes to our presence in the near future, our current car will still be featured on iRacing across current tracks, including the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. This was important to us as we worked through our strategy to ensure fans would continue to access our racing across their favorite mediums,” the series said in a statement provided to RACER.

“We also remain confident our partnership with Motorsport Games will produce an engaging, realistic and enjoyable title feature for the NTT IndyCar Series. Ultimately, 2023 will produce the first IndyCar-centric video game in nearly a decade while maintaining a presence for the sport in iRacing and beyond.

While the series claims there will be little change in how users interact with IndyCar on iRacing, the impacts of the deal are already being felt. iRacing’s series that uses the Dallara IR18 was previously scheduled to race at Gateway and Iowa. Those tracks have been replaced, and the series is now restricted to venues that IndyCar does currently visit.

Users will still be able to race the IR18 on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, however, they will not be able to do so in officially-sanctioned events like the iRacing Indy 500, one of the largest special events of the year.

Additionally, those who participate in privately-run series will no longer be able to broadcast races that use the IR18, DW12, or IR-05 — effectively ending many popular private series that use IndyCar vehicles.

Fans have not responded well to the changes. Many users began to follow the real-life IndyCar Series through their involvement in sim racing and those same people tend to skew younger, the same age demographic that IndyCar has been working to target.

While exclusive deals like the one IndyCar has signed are not unusual in most sports, they are rare in motorsports. NASCAR, for example, has opted for paths that allow one entity to produce console games and another entity, like iRacing, to produce content on the PC. Vehicle manufacturers and tracks also typically sign deals that allow their property to be present in a variety of locations.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

"Fans access to", sure. But most people are pissed it's not even part of the broadcast or official series.

I was literally signed up and paid an entry fee for an IR18 league that was starting. They instantly ditched it and went with GT3s instead.

I hope Motorsport games paid them a ton of money, because this isn't the way to keep fans interested. I don't even really have a passing interest in Indycar anymore, and even I know that exclusivity deals are never help good for anybody except the one getting paid.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

I Just downloaded 2 GRID games on gamepass. Grid and Grid legends.

These are really fun! Grid reminds me of toca 2.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Dang, forums going a little crazy with double posts! :)
Last edited by DChaps on Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

On the next episode of Symmons Plains....the Formula Ford comes to iRacing!

The 2023 Season 2 build of iRacing was released this week and along with it came one of my favorite racing sim cars of all time, the Formula Ford from the Codemasters TOCA series!

Ray FF 1600 (https://www.iracing.com/cars/ray-ff-1600/)
See it in action - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MawVHPbZXBk
For more than half a century, the British-based Ray Race Cars has been building entry-level open-wheel race cars that have launched the careers of countless racing stars. But few cars at that level have approached the place in motorsport culture held by the FF1600 formula, which has been a constant presence since the late 1960s after driving schools sought an affordable formula for aspiring Grand Prix drivers to be able to practice with.

The most defining characteristic of the FF1600 compared to other junior formulae is its lack of wings; without that downforce to work with the 1.6-liter engine, these cars require greater care through the corners than their winged counterparts, but also tend to be closely matched on the track with plenty of passing. Combine that with relatively open regulations, aided by a space frame chassis, the FF1600 formula is popular the world over as an affordable way to go open-wheel racing. Ray Race Cars has won many of these championships around the world, most recently claiming the New Zealand national title in April 2022 with Alex Crosbie.
Best of all it is free content with subscription and there will be a 12 week rookie series featuring 12 min races every hour on the :15
All the tracks in this series are also free with subscription (see below). I have been racing this car all week and it is very fun. Not a steep learning curve, but will be difficult to master and provides for great racing. It is also available for AI racing as are all the tracks in the season series below. For just $19.80 for a three month subscription, you can join me on a trip back in time to the early 2000's for some Formula Ford fun!

Week 1 (2023-03-14) WeatherTech Raceway at Laguna Seca - Full
Week 2 (2023-03-21) Virginia International Raceway - Full Course
Week 3 (2023-03-28) Okayama International Circuit - Full Course
Week 4 (2023-04-04) Summit Point Raceway - Summit Point Raceway
Week 5 (2023-04-11) Oran Park Raceway - Grand Prix
Week 6 (2023-04-18) Tsukuba Circuit - 2000 Full
Week 7 (2023-04-25) Lime Rock Park - Chicanes
Week 8 (2023-05-02) Rudskogen Motorsenter
Week 9 (2023-05-09) Oulton Park Circuit - Island
Week 10 (2023-05-16) Lime Rock Park - Classic
Week 11 (2023-05-23) Charlotte Motor Speedway - Legends RC Long
Week 12 (2023-05-30) Okayama International Circuit - Short

Not to mention this build contains the following:
Late Model Stock - https://www.iracing.com/cars/late-model-stock/
Renault Clio R.S. V - https://www.iracing.com/cars/renault-clio-rs-v/
Circuito de Jerez – Ángel Nieto - https://www.iracing.com/tracks/circuito ... gel-nieto/
**A great track that brings me back to the early Xbox Moto GP days!

I know I am an iRacing shill, but so far this has been one of the most enjoyable week 13 season builds I have experienced in 15 years of membership.

More 2023 Season 2 Details here:
https://www.iracing.com/seasons/2023-s2/
https://www.iracing.com/membership/
https://racesimcentral.net/iracing-2023 ... and-jerez/

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Are we all shaken to our very core by the discovery that the INDYCAR title from Motorsport Games has now slipped to 2024? Who among us could ever have foreseen etc?

To prepare myself for the level of quality I'm expecting from the final product (let's pretend there's going to be a product for now), I spent this morning playing Tomy's "Indy 500" title, set free among unsuspecting PS1 owners in 1997. I wondered if maybe a classic had slipped through the cracks when I enquired about obscure/NTSC-specific old racing games a while ago. It hadn't.

If only there was A Modded Sim 2 use for your 2023 fix...
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

If anybody wants in on some really good league racing on iRacing, I'm running in 3 of them at the moment.

GT3 Cars on Monday evenings (sessions open at 8PM ET, hour long races with short fuel for dual pit stops). Full broadcast (even though he had replay issues in this one, it was a funny race):
GT3s at Watkins Glen

If ovals are more your thing...running NASCAR Cup Cars on Thursday nights (that one opens at 7:30PM ET). Also approximately hour long races.

Then my own Simpit league just started with Radical SR8s, which is still the most fun car on the service to drive--even if they retired it for the horrendous SR10. First race of the season was just this weekend, and the broadcast team we hired for that one is top tier.
The Simpit Road Series - Spa

I still can't believe how far sim racing has come since a lot of us were farting around on old Xboxes together. If anybody wants in on some fun action, there is so much to be had on iRacing.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

This could be fantastic...and could be a turd. Only a few months until we know but I will be buying day 1 (if on EA Play even better).

https://www.motorsport.com/gaming/news/ ... /10516567/

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:24 pm
This could be fantastic...and could be a turd. Only a few months until we know but I will be buying day 1 (if on EA Play even better).

Been looking forward to this one!
GT = Wilk5280

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:24 pm

Same!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

If the new WRC game drives anywhere as good as it looks, this will be a cargasm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfhQBTgS20A
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

If you're of the digital pre-order persuasion, there's 10% off via the Microsoft Store at the minute. Other storefronts are available and may be cheaper. Come back soon for more half-arsed buying advice.

I did buy something else the other day, that something being Project Cars 3, a game I would never have bought at full price but didn't mind parting with £6.95 for. It's absolutely fine. Nothing that bears any kind of resemblance to the rest of the franchise, and you have to look past the fact that it's graphically quite a lot worse than Forza Horizon 2 despite being released 6 years after it, but it handles sensibly and predictably, you can become competent without a massive time investment and it's still being updated with daily and weekly time trial events.

You get limited attempts at those too, so as you start to run out of laps, there's more sense of every effort needing to count for something, of every track limit breach and every deleted lap carrying weight and consequence. That remains true in spite of the fact that you can only ever breach track limits through excessive speed or excessive understeer; it's probably possible to spin under acceleration in one of this game's vehicles, but I don't exactly know how yet.

As a package, it's not really a lot more than NFS Shift with better, less twitchy handling and none of the blurry, "visceral" speed-enhancing graphical effects. For something to throw on when I fancy a race but don't fancy making an effort, though, it's fine, and at the price I paid, that'll do.

Elsewhere, does anyone know if Danny Sullivan's Indy Heat has XBox backwards compatibility?

https://www.thedrive.com/news/indycar-d ... ght-of-day

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Any Forza "8" hype around here? It's hardly a sim, but it seems like they're saying all the right things in their press releases. I downloaded Horizon 5 and it's pretty fun. The commentary is dreadful, but the actual arcade driving is pretty mindless and fun. Hopefully Forza "8" can come close to the GT series.

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

I'm definitely looking forward to the upcoming Forza Motorsport. The physics engine looks much improved and the changing conditions at any time will be a welcome addition. Haven't seen too much about the career mode, but anything is better than the previous games. The leveling up aspect of the cars by performing better on the tracks will be addictive.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

fletcher21 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:27 pm
Any Forza "8" hype around here? It's hardly a sim, but it seems like they're saying all the right things in their press releases. I downloaded Horizon 5 and it's pretty fun. The commentary is dreadful, but the actual arcade driving is pretty mindless and fun. Hopefully Forza "8" can come close to the GT series.
I have played Forza Motorsport 7 far more than any other racing game in my life, with ease. I have fired it up at least once per week -- and sometimes more -- since I got it in December 2017. Still do.

So, yeah, it's safe to say I'm pretty stoked for the next edition of Forza, especially since the Horizon series interests me less and less with each release because the modes suck and the menus/seasons are confusing as hell. The original Horizon still is far and away the most fun to me. Remember those DSP Poker Nights when we all raced that 15-mile, point-to-point track called Goliath? Those were fun nights.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

pk500 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:08 pm
fletcher21 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:27 pm
I have played Forza Motorsport 7 far more than any other racing game in my life, with ease. I have fired it up at least once per week -- and sometimes more -- since I got it in December 2017. Still do.

So, yeah, it's safe to say I'm pretty stoked for the next edition of Forza, especially since the Horizon series interests me less and less with each release because the modes suck and the menus/seasons are confusing as hell. The original Horizon still is far and away the most fun to me. Remember those DSP Poker Nights when we all raced that 15-mile, point-to-point track called Goliath? Those were fun nights.
Good deal! I am really enjoying the Xbox ecosystem. Gamepass was made for people like you and I.

As per Forza, the game has my favorite track (Road America) and my favorite race car of all time (Audi Quattro ISMA). So I am pretty excited! Hopefully the car/track are not hidden behind a paywall or a massive grind. I haven't played Forza since the 360. Do they give you all the cars like Project Cars, or do you have to earn/purchase them like GT?

https://youtu.be/1smljyoYmb8?si=8vzQbo0EcUiH17JR

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

fletcher21 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:16 pm
As per Forza, the game has my favorite track (Road America) and my favorite race car of all time (Audi Quattro ISMA). So I am pretty excited! Hopefully the car/track are not hidden behind a paywall or a massive grind. I haven't played Forza since the 360. Do they give you all the cars like Project Cars, or do you have to earn/purchase them like GT?
Fine choice on both favorite track and car.

Not sure about how you get cars. I visited Microsoft headquarters in Seattle in December 2017 as part of an INDYCAR delegation meeting Xbox officials to further integrate the INDYCAR SERIES into the Forza franchise. Each of us received a gift bag that included a steel-case version of Forza Motorsport 7 VIP edition. So, I had every car and every track from the moment I first launched the game.

Lucky. Spoiled. :)

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

fletcher21 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:16 pm

https://youtu.be/1smljyoYmb8?si=8vzQbo0EcUiH17JR
Buy them with credits as you would in GT, generally. I think you earn some as prize cars too but I haven't played Forza 7 for some while, so I could have completely made that up.

I feel the same about Motorsport as I do about Horizon. Both series are very good, both do a lot of things very well, but over time I've become increasingly burned out on them. I'm not seeing anything in the preview builds of Motorsport 8 that especially excites me. Perhaps that's because everything looks very, very Forza Motorsport. Perhaps it's because many of the clips I've seen have been of fairly dull cars being driven around fairly dull Kyalami, a once-mighty cathedral of speed which was neutered once and then, just in case, neutered again.

That lack of excitement is hardly exclusive to Turn 10, mind. Consider the yearly buzz we used to feel over Codemasters F1 games, then consider that there's not a single post on this board about F1 23, a game I enjoyed for 5 hours on a free trial and will likely buy eventually, once it's much cheaper, because it's really version 5 of F1 2019. What I'm describing might be an industry-wide malaise. It might also just be me.

To find out, I'll download it day one on Gamepass and put 40 hours in across various modes, because it's a game with cars in it.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I have such a hard time getting into any console racer anymore, really. It's kind of sad.

I tried the latest Gran Turismo, and lasted like 20 minutes. I couldn't get into F1 too much, and have zero excitement for Forza.

It's wild, considering how much time I spend racing. But I'll try it on Gamepass but have zero excitement for it. Every time I see something it's like "look at how great the foliage looks!"...how completely useless in a racing game. That trademark Forza brake-lock-understeer will undoubtedly be present, though :lol:

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Anyone else going to be on Forza Motorsport (8) tonight on early release? I was trying to hold out, as I honestly had not been too excited by any of the pre-release info to date, and have not been doing much console gaming lately. But like with the Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Xbox One X, it is a Forza Motorsport release that has now finally convinced me to purchase an Xbox Series X. Since it is a Series S/X/PC release only, and my PC is not up to the specs without a significant upgrade more costly than the X, I managed to justify the purchase in my head. :) Plus, the Forza Motorsport/Horizon series has been where most of my console gaming/racing has been spent over the last 18+ years (hard to believe). Anyway, hope to see some of you in the Rivals list!

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

DChaps wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:11 pm
Anyone else going to be on Forza Motorsport (8) tonight on early release? I was trying to hold out, as I honestly had not been too excited by any of the pre-release info to date, and have not been doing much console gaming lately. But like with the Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Xbox One X, it is a Forza Motorsport release that has now finally convinced me to purchase an Xbox Series X. Since it is a Series S/X/PC release only, and my PC is not up to the specs without a significant upgrade more costly than the X, I managed to justify the purchase in my head. :) Plus, the Forza Motorsport/Horizon series has been where most of my console gaming/racing has been spent over the last 18+ years (hard to believe). Anyway, hope to see some of you in the Rivals list!
I'm looking forward to it Don, but not like I normally do for a new Forza game. I don't know why my enthusiasm has taken a step down for it. It just doesn't seem that the promotion for this one has been as feverish and it's caused me to relax my expectations. I think it looks fine, and it appears that it will take advantage of the Series X hardware, but it looks like Forza 7 with a graphics upgrade in videos and screen shots.

The real test for me will be how well the force feedback steering is implemented on my Thrustmaster TX Leather wheel and T3PA pedals. I wound up playing more Forza 7 on my PC than I did on my Series X because the force feedback was better implemented on the PC version. I have a feeling it's going to be better this time though, so that's what's got me more excited. I'm anxious to read the early reactions to it today!

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:14 am
The real test for me will be how well the force feedback steering is implemented on my Thrustmaster TX Leather wheel and T3PA pedals. I wound up playing more Forza 7 on my PC than I did on my Series X because the force feedback was better implemented on the PC version. I have a feeling it's going to be better this time though, so that's what's got me more excited. I'm anxious to read the early reactions to it today!
At least your wheel and pedals work with the game! Mine never do, so to try and play on PC requires jumping through a bunch of hoops with third party apps and insanity.

I'd love it, too--I've got a set of the Simucube ActivePedals (basically force feedback pedals), but it requires software developers to actually use it. In iRacing, for example, when I engage ABS my pedal literally pulses under foot. Not a rumble motor, but actual feed back. Can do the same with the throttle on ACC. But likely can't even get them to work AT ALL in Forza.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

DChaps wrote:
Anyone else going to be on Forza Motorsport (8) tonight on early release?
Nope. I'm not paying for four or five days' early play time for a game that will be released free next Tuesday on GamePass, if I understand that "perk" of buying the game correctly.

Trust me: I love Forza. I played FM7 perhaps more than any game EVER. But I'm not paying for a game that will be released free next week. Still, can't wait to play it next Tuesday and hopefully for about the next six years! I played FM 7 at least weekly from when I got it in December 2017 until last night, when I removed it from my drive to make space for the new edition of the game.

Cheapingly yours,
PK

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

pk500 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:39 pm
DChaps wrote:
Anyone else going to be on Forza Motorsport (8) tonight on early release?
Nope. I'm not paying for four or five days' early play time for a game that will be released free next Tuesday on GamePass, if I understand that "perk" of buying the game correctly.
Ditto. I'm a single-player gamer who likes time trial leaderboards, and that content will be there for me next week. Also, if I was to buy early access having only just told everyone that I wasn't feeling huge amounts of excitement for Forza, you'd worry about me.

I've got it pre-downloaded and ready for next week all the same, because I just can't resist a Rivals leaderboard.